Do you feel strong emotional attachments to fictional characters?
Yes, if it's a very well writen character
74.1% (163)
74.1% (163)
Yes, if it's a character I can relate with
20% (44)
20% (44)
No, I feel nothing for people who don't exist
3.6% (8)
3.6% (8)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Do feel emotional attachments to fictional characters?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

When you watch a movie, read a book, or play a videogame, do you feel any emotional attachments to the characters therein? Do you feel the characters pains and triumphs? Do you laugh and cry with them?

A lot of my friends seem to get emotionally involved with movie characters (mostly my female friends), and they cry at the end of movies, and at sad scenes, and all that crap. Personally, I can't understand it. I never feel emotions for a fictional character that are strong enough to give that kind of emotional response.

Ive been trying to figure out if this emotional attachment to fictional characters is really normal, or if I'm the weird one for not feeling them.

So do you feel emotional attachments to characters in books, movies, tv shows, or videogames? If so, which books, movies, videogames, etc, made you cry, or have some other kind of strong emotional reaction?

I was very sad when

EDIT: Ok, apparently HTML tags hate me....

If the writers/developers/producers do their job, then yes, I'll feel emotional attachments to their characters.

Yes, especially if I see something within that character that I also see within my own personality. Not a very common event, but when it does happen I tend to maintain fond memories of a character for a very long time.

It's tough for me to feel genuine emotional attachment to anything, let alone a fictional character, but it's been known to happen from time to time.

There are a lot of circumstances where I've found myself screaming "No! Don't kill him! I liked him! Kill that other douche bag!"

Old Trailmix:
I was very sad when [spoilers]Dumbledore died, I almost cried. Ok I cried.[/spoilers]

It's not "spoilers" it's "spoiler." Besides, I'm pretty sure everyone knows that one.

Old Trailmix:
I was very sad when [spoilers]Dumbledore died, I almost cried. Ok I cried.[/spoilers]

You put spoilers instead of spoiler.

I got quite emotinal at the end of HL2 episode 2. If you didn't shed a tear or at least feel sorry for the characters then something is a little wrong with you.

deadman91:
There are a lot of circumstances where I've found myself screaming "No! Don't kill him! I liked him! Kill that other douche bag!"

Well, I never scream it, but I have felt that way about a character I liked. Still, there's a rather large difference between wishing that a certain character wouldn't die, and crying if/when they do.

Not usually, but on very rare occasions if the situation is emotional enough. For example, I came very close to crying at the end of 'Seven Pounds', purely because of the quality of Will Smith's acting and the emotion of the scene. Considering I haven't cried outside of feeling great physical pain since my uncle's funeral when I was 12 (I'm 19 now, and I didn't even cry at my grandad's funeral later that year), that takes some doing. An excellent film, methinks :).

Baldur's Gate 2 characters are Immortal figures for me!

I feel attached to well-written characters that I can relate to. The only fictional characters I've ever actually related to (so far) are Maniac Magee (Maniac Magee) and R.P. McMurphy (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest).

Last level in ME2

Damn did I shout obscenities at Samara.

I didn't even play any of the Half-Life 2 games because I'm too much of a zombie sissy to deal with the fast zombies in Ravenholm, but I watched my boyfriend play all of them. And I can say that I cried as he was playing the end of Episode 2 even without having played any of the game myself.

More recently, I've decided to entirely replay ME2 because 3 of the 4 team members who died in the end were ones I loved to death and refuse to let them simply stay dead.

Yes, the books of fire and ice had me very angry, at times.

Roose Bolton is the man!

HECK YES I DO.

If the character is well-written, of course. And when its badly written as well.

Fiction seems real to me. Part of the Aspergers Syndrome package. :)

So much, if its a character I love then I usually get very attached to them. Hell, everytime I watch the Season 4 finale of Doctor Who I cry when Donna dies and I've seen it like.. a lot of times.

I was pretty bummed out when

Poor guy only wanted to see California...

...Oh yes, oh yes...no further questions

Yes, I had a recent one when...

It angered me to no end...

Shimmyshake:
Last level in ME2

Damn did I shout obscenities at Samara.

Same thing here i messed up. It was my fault Garrus died.

Pretty much the only movie or anything that's given me real feelings would be Forest Gump. I didn't cry or anything but that movie made me pretty damn sad.

I was genuinely sad when I found TK Baha dead and hanging from a ceiling fan in Borderlands

Sometimes I do, yeah. It doesn't happen very often, but I can get worked up over really well written characters.

The closest I got was when

Though not a tear was shed, I came really close.

Yes I do. At the end of Starcraft I was actually cursing Kerrigin with gritted teeth. I'm hoping that she will die in SC2 for the death of Fenix!

ImSkeletor:
The closest I got was when

Though not a tear was shed, I came really close.

I actually did cry when that happened, I loved that character

All the time, even with minor characters. I cried when Jessie died in Final Fantasy VII. When I saw what happened to Eriko in Higurashi, I almost couldn't sleep that night. I even feel bad for most villains that get killed off if they have even the slightest hint of redeeming qualities.

Abso-fricking-lutely.

I consider me getting emotional attachments to characters to be a cornerstone of my favorite games. Perhaps not coincidentally, some of my favorite games are visual novels.

Yes I do but I really only get attached to video game characters and characters invented by Matt Groening. Although I do get attached to my D&D character and my party members.

Does wanting to marry 5 different game characters count?

Man, I can't tell you....

Ok, I'll tell you.

I cried when reading the end of Where the Red Fern Grows. Like a baby covered in honey and ants. Like, horrible "AUUUGH, AUUUUUGHhhhhNNN, *snortle* AAAUUUUUGGGGHHHNNN", snot-driping-out-my-nose crying.... in the middle of my 2nd grade class.

But yeah, it's well written and relate-able, I get invested emotionally.

Although I rarely ever cry, I do usually get quite attached to fictional characters, so yes. Then again I'm quite a sensitive guy so...

Disaster Button:
So much, if its a character I love then I usually get very attached to them. Hell, everytime I watch the Season 4 finale of Doctor Who I cry when Donna dies and I've seen it like.. a lot of times.

She dies?!

I AM NEVER WATCHING DR WHO AGAIN!

Seriously, I was waiting to watch that season because my parents own it, and then I was prepared to give Dr Who up, because of the sissy thing that is the Dr now. Donna dies? Like, DIES? The few episodes I saw with her were awesome!

I am going to cry now. I feel like the "Won't Everyone Just Leave Britney Alone?!" boy from YouTube...

RaphaelsRedemption:

Disaster Button:

She dies?!

I AM NEVER WATCHING DR WHO AGAIN!

Seriously, I was waiting to watch that season because my parents own it, and then I was prepared to give Dr Who up, because of the sissy thing that is the Dr now. Donna dies? Like, DIES? The few episodes I saw with her were awesome!

I am going to cry now. I feel like the "Won't Everyone Just Leave Britney Alone?!" boy from YouTube...

Yknow I was thinking of putting that in a spoiler box but I thought "no its fine, nothing will come of this" but instead I managed to do this.

I would still suggest watching it as it is very good and deffinitely the best season of Doctor Who and its still a very surprising season.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked