"U" instead of "You"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Well, im just curious, whats your opinion on people typing letters and numbers instead of words?
Personally, I dont really understand why you would.
Alot of people blame "English is not my first language", but I dont really know of any languages that have words consisting of singular letters and numbers.

Anywho, whats your opinion on this?

I also found this picture.

NuclearPenguin:
Alot of people blame "English is not my first language", but I dont really know of any languages that have words consisting of singular letters and numbers.

Reeeaally? You can't think of any language? Does it help I made one of the letters in the above quote bold?

Anyway, to me it comes across as really lazy. Kind of like not typing a space between "a" and "lot", and not using an apostrophe in "don't" and "I'm", and not capitalizing "I".

If you stick an "Amen" on the end of that we could have the Grammar-Nazi's Prayer! Most of that stuff does wind me up (although not that much), so I found that pretty funny.

That picture was epic.

But yeah, I don't mind 'text speak' but it's extremely overused. Why the hell do you have to comment 'lol' when nothing funny happens? If you've got no thoughts to express, simply shut up!

I C what U did thar

It's called leetspeak, or 13375p34k if you prefer, and used as a form of social distinction between people. The so called 'nerds' that spent a lot of time online, on say a gaming related community site are a social minority, and therefore seek to draw clean lines between them and "the rest". That's pretty common for a social sub-group, and happens all the time, often enough by the use of a more or less understandable language. Why do you think scientists never talk in words the lay man can understand? It's pretty much the same thing.

Dude that picture ROCKS ASS!

They're obviously just angry because other people don't have the amazing amount of spare time required to make HUGE FUCKING PICTURES LIKE THAT.

I have no problem with legible shortcuts.

That picture is brilliant, conveys my feelings on this matter perfectly.

ha, that made me laugh :-)

You know sometimes it's just a typo.

In the words of Ralph - "Me fail english? That's unpossible!"

I don't care if people use "u" and "r" and such..
People who get angry over such small things should probably get a life.

There are stuff out there that matters more than that, and getting angry over it does not help at all..

For the record: Using "u" and "r" in official letters, newspapers etc is not the same as an internetforum discussing games and so on..

I used to be the kind that typed like that, however I grew out of it.

Kick-ass picture by the way.

U is a word....in dutch anyway. its formal for you!
also A and I are words of one letter?

Corpse XxX:
I don't care if people use "u" and "r" and such..
People who get angry over such small things should probably get a life.

There are stuff out there that matters more than that, and getting angry over it does not help at all..

For the record: Using "u" and "r" in official letters, newspapers etc is not the same as an internetforum discussing games and so on..

In texts, or just in general informal conversation I think it's fine. It's when you are trying to write formally (or should be doing, like say in an arguement) where I think it starts to get annoying.

NuclearPenguin:
Well, im just curious, whats your opinion on people typing letters and numbers instead of words?
Personally, I dont really understand why you would.

Anywho, whats your opinion on this?

I also found this picture.

That picture is one of the singlemost wonderful things I have ever seen. Thank you so very much for sharing that with me. :)

As for the "R" and "U", if you have a character limit and need to communicate a longish thought, I can see using the shorthand. In most cases, however, it just annoys the holy hell out of me.

I thought The Escapist are proud of the Grammar Nazi's

I don't like it for much the same reasons that I don't like seeing words spelled wrong in song titles (to say nothing of Keisha. No, I'm not going to put a dollar sign in your name because then your name would be Kedollara you dumbass blonde). I like the English language in its full representation.

I may not extend into full grammar Nazi territory, but I tend to disregard someone who doesn't post an entire word. I can forgive you not knowing how to correctly use commas or apostrophes, I too had that problem when I was seven and learning to write, but when you can't be bothered to type the entire word, either you think you're so important that your point must be heard before you've actually given any thought to it, or you're just being lazy, in which case why I should waste the time and effort reading what you've said?

Also, mostly unrelated, when reading that rant in the spoiler box, did anyone else hear it in the voice of Samuel L Jackson?

My issue with it is the laziness. Some people claim "It's faster" but on MSN I can type twice as fast as anyone I speak to, and I am the only one who uses punctuation and doesn't shorten words.

What pisses me off the most is when people use "text talk" which doesn't even shorten a word.

Hunni
Honey

Lyke

Sexi
Sexy

Text talk originated because old phones couldn't fit in very much text and so people shortened it to save money and get in as much info into each text. There is no reason for using incorrect English outside of text messaging. It doesn't save time, and it costs you nothing.

First of all, picture=win.
Also, I hate "u", "r" and "y" and the use of them is justified only if you're typing out a message on the Xbox/PS where you don't have the keyboard.
Shortening the words to one-letter bullshit creates difficulties for the reader.

When I first started writing on the internet I wrote like that, but it took me longer to convert it to text-speak than it would for me to write out the whole word, and stopped pretty soon after.

I see no problem with people using letters for words, just get me the message dammit! However, when people start using these things in speech, I go get my Grammer Gun o' Death.

Also, the guy who made the picture used the comma incorrectly, or at least, a semi colon may have proven more apt.

The Cunt

I love that picture...

Anyway.. I can't stand people who just don't bother to spend the effort to write you instead of u... You look so much more mature and this is only excusable in a text message.. (where the max letters is 150 words before they double charge you for it.)

That picture says what I never can...

Oh my god. That image is the best thing I have ever seen in my life.
Wherever you got it, I want it to go forth and multiply.

OT: I'm okay with other people not using proper english, but I feel that if I start too I may never being able to stop. So I'd much rather keep my full words, thank you.
And also, I'd much rather just use predictive text when I'm texting, so there's no problem there. (they're, their...etc. I'm so funny.)

Deofuta:
I see no problem with people using letters for words, just get me the message dammit! However, when people start using these things in speech, I go get my Grammer Gun o' Death.

Also, the guy who made the picture used the comma incorrectly, or at least, a semi colon may have proven more apt.

The Cunt

You failed to spell grammar correctly.
The irony...

I can taste it!

Laziness, pure and simple.

Eh, it makes the person typing it looks stupid, but I don't really find it that annoying.

What's more annoying to me is when people use words that don't mean what they think they do. Like using "affect" in stead of "effect" (or vice-versa), "climatic" in stead of "climactic", "bear" in stead of "bare", "loose" in stead of "lose", etc.

Also, just because:

NuclearPenguin:
Well, I'm just curious, what's your opinion on people typing letters and numbers instead of words?
Personally, I don't really understand why you would.
A lot of people blame "English is not my first language", but I don't really know of any languages that have words consisting of singular letters and numbers.

Anyhow, what's your opinion on this?

Zannah:
I C what U did thar

It's called leetspeak, or 13375p34k if you prefer, and used as a form of social distinction between people. The so called 'nerds' that spent a lot of time online, on say a gaming related community site are a social minority, and therefore seek to draw clean lines between them and "the rest". That's pretty common for a social sub-group, and happens all the time, often enough by the use of a more or less understandable language. Why do you think scientists never talk in words the lay man can understand? It's pretty much the same thing.

Well then let them write true 13375P34K instead of just one-letter shortenings.
I can see the reasoning behind 1337 but not u, r or y unless it is in sms-messages where it is indeed faster and cheaper.
On a forum like this you have all the time in the world (almost) to write out a reply and therefore time enough to type out the entire word.

P.S. not directed at you specifically and the reason we (scientists) use words that a layman cannot understand is that some of those words actually describes things/events that doesn't occur in everyday life and therefore no words in everyday speak describes it adequately enough.

Daystar Clarion:

Deofuta:

The Cunt

You failed to spell grammar correctly.
The irony...

I can taste it!

You know what, I do that every time I spell it, and I guess my PC hates me at this moment because it refused to acknowledge the mistake.

DAMN YOU PC CORRECTION GODS, DAMN YOU!

Hurr Durr Derp:
Eh, it makes the person typing it looks stupid, but I don't really find it that annoying.

What's more annoying to me is when people use words that don't mean what they think they do. Like using "affect" in stead of "effect" (or vice-versa), "climatic" in stead of "climactic", "bear" in stead of "bare", "loose" in stead of "lose", etc.

Also, just because:

NuclearPenguin:
Well, I'm just curious, what's your opinion on people typing letters and numbers instead of words?
Personally, I don't really understand why you would.
A lot of people blame "English is not my first language", but I don't really know of any languages that have words consisting of singular letters and numbers.

Anyhow, what's your opinion on this?

Yeah, I actually have a good reason for that.
My keyboard is 5 years old and my keys get stuck, they only work when they want to, hell, the little arrow next to the Z key doesnt even work at all..

Hurr Durr Derp:

What's more annoying to me is when people use words that don't mean what they think they do. Like using "affect" in stead of "effect" (or vice-versa), "climatic" in stead of "climactic", "bear" in stead of "bare", "loose" in stead of "lose", etcu.

I think climactic and loose are the more frustrating ones for me too.

OT - I find it quite annoying, which is one reason I appreciate most of my fellow Escapists.

Awesome picture!
I absolutely HATE it when people get it so goddamn wrong. It's not difficult! I'm a major Grammar-Nazi because I study English Literature at university (so I kinda have to be), but it's just absolutely ridiculous the amount of people who can't string a sentence together properly!

I don't mind so much if this textspeak is in an actual text, that's why it's called textspeak. But I goddamn hate it when people use this same "language" on the internet. You have a full goddamn keyboard right in front of you, USE IT!
I don't even expect people to type formally on the internet; it's so instant that it's MEANT to mimic speech. For example, there's not a snowball's chance in Hell that I would ever type/write like this on my course. But...come on.

It takes me longer to decipher what the hell someone's talking about when they "tipe lyk dis n dnt spel wrds crectly" than it does for them to type it. I mean, does it really take up that much more time/effort to use ALL of the keys? No, it does not.

Signed,
Gramma-Nazi

sinclose:
That picture was epic.

But yeah, I don't mind 'text speak' but it's extremely overused. Why the hell do you have to comment 'lol' when nothing funny happens? If you've got no thoughts to express, simply shut up!

Someone asked a work colleague once if they actually laugh out loud when they type 'lol' and if not, WHY NOT? Heh. Made me laugh.

That picture is awesome, I know one or two people who would appreciate that!

Let's just say I've killed for less...

I don't like it, but I'm not bothered by it any more. I will never use it though.

Reminds me of this song by Tim Minchin
http://vimeo.com/11338327

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked