Ugh, I can't pull the damn trigger!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

My friend and I were talking about inFamous the other day. He thought the Evil playthrough was ten times more fun than the "good" one. See, the problem with me is that I felt like such a flippin' douchebag that I couldn't play the evil half for more than 10 minutes. And that's for all "choose your destiny" video games. Yeah, I realize it all just boils down to pixels, but I still can't do it. I just feel so bad, as sad as that sounds.

I forgot where I read it, but turns out American gamers (not sure about European) have a harder time doing "evil" quests in comparison to the Japanese.

Who else has this problem?

Though I guess I'm asking the wrong crowd since a bunch of you guys are apathetic and antisocial (or at least what I've seen from posting here).

I haven't had this problem, because, in the end, it's just a game. I'm not going to lose sleep over something that has no effect on real people.

If I am playing a game that has only "evil" in the story line, I have no problem.
The moment I play a game where I have the choice between good or evil, no matter what I just can't play evil. I have to play good.

I have this problem sometimes. I mean, I consider myself to be the good guy, so I should be doing good guy things, right? Like not killing innocent people?

"apathetic and antisocial" yep, summed me up pretty well at least.

I play through all routes of games, wouldn't feel right owning something that I didn't bother to finish properly.

I don't.I can separate what I do in games to the real world, which is why I'm usually a bad guy/anti hero in such games, but in the real world I'm a very good, nice and caring person. Games like that basically let me see whats on the other side of the lake, without really swimming there myself.

I've always tended towards the good side in those "choose your destiny" games, but that's begun to change recently.
Sometimes, a game will have characters that just don't seem believable or piss you off. Then I'm the evil guy.

I don't really notice this, but I usually go for the 'good' alignment anyways. this is because I find that trying to complete games with a 'good' alignment is more challenging than doing so with the 'evil' alignment, and I do prefer a good challenge.

Cheery Lunatic:
My friend and I were talking about inFamous the other day. He thought the Evil playthrough was ten times more fun than the "good" one. See, the problem with me is that I felt like such a flippin' douchebag that I couldn't play the evil half for more than 10 minutes. And that's for all "choose your destiny" video games. Yeah, I realize it all just boils down to pixels, but I still can't do it. I just feel so bad, as sad as that sounds.

I forgot where I read it, but turns out American gamers (not sure about European) have a harder time doing "evil" quests in comparison to the Japanese.

Who else has this problem?

Though I guess I'm asking the wrong crowd since a bunch of you guys are apathetic and antisocial (or at least what I've seen from posting here).

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
The last evil thing I was able to do was kill the little sisters in bioshock 1

After that, I started getting into religion and stuff, and now it's hard to be evil

But doing good feels awesome to. Evil is just fun I guess

I never play evil in games when I have a choice. I like to role play and pretend I'm this great hero helping everyone, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

It bothers me as well. Its strange really. I know they're just pixels, but I just feel like an ass.

Also we can use this to our advantage in potentially hilarious ways.

Well I find it funny...

While I have absolutely no problem playing evil in most games I find that it can hinder my role playing in games like DA because despite my character being a douche and murderer I always end up choosing dialog that makes all my companions love me despite hating everything I do because I can't stand those characters disliking me.

Irridium:
It bothers me as well. Its strange really. I know they're just pixels, but I just feel like an ass.

Also we can use this to our advantage in potentially hilarious ways.

Well I find it funny...

I... I feel like I should frame this argument. You sir, have won my undying admiration. *THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE*

OP:I often do feel bad when playing an evil character. I tried doing a Bad Karma file in Fallout 3, just to see what it was like, and I felt so bad when I blew up Megaton, both because I liked the people in there, and hated the people next to me.

But I took revenge by mercilessly slaughtering Tenpenny and Burke, so I felt better about myself afterwards.

I first had this problem while playing Bioshock, but I quickly grew desensitized to the killing and harvesting of little girls. I'm not really sure if that's a good thing or not...

I always play good, or at least non-asshole characters. Heck, IRL, I'm Lawful Neutral (in D&D however, I gravitate towards Neutral Good-Lawful Evil)

marter:
I haven't had this problem, because, in the end, it's just a game. I'm not going to lose sleep over something that has no effect on real people.

Haha, I always seem to read your post at the top of the first page marter! How do you manage to snake the first response to every thread I look at?

OT: Are you kidding me? I like playing the good quest most of the time but sometimes I just let my inner evil villain take over and I relish the pain of the innocent pixels in front of my smoking guns. It makes me sound like a jerk but seeing as I'm quite a peaceable guy in real life, don't begrudge me this...

That being said, sometimes I can't be the villain if I like being the good guy too much or if the requirements for being evil are ridiculously depraved.

I can't be evil either, because I tend to make myself as the character, and do what I would do, which is usually the good thing.

Yeah I'm usually morally inclined to do good even in video games. Not sure why. However, that only means I don't kill random people for no reason. If they got in my way however, I would kill them.

It doesn't really affect me, the consequences of the actions I make in a video game, because it's just a video game. I mean, you can always play it again from the beginning, changing any of the choices you made in your previous play through. Plus, it's fun to play the bad guy at times.

It depends on the game. I usually play good-aligned characters, but I can also be quite evil in them as well. Some games however I cannot bring myself to evil actions, such as some of the more extreme events in Fallout 3. With that said however, the fact that my game characters, despite their "good" alignment, ruthlessly pillage all the wealth from the areas that they visit, it kind of makes me wonder if that aspect of my playing could be called "evil", but wealth exploitation doesn't really show up on karma meters.

Cheery Lunatic:

It's not really how I'd choose to open a conversation, by suggesting a large part of your audience wouldn't be interested because they were "apathetic and antisocial".

All quibbles aside, I can't play evil characters, unless the NPC's are really, really horrific. I think I'm scared of the consequences, because developers have that nasty habit of punishing you unless you act like the shining saint they want you to be.

Redlin5:

marter:

Haha, I always seem to read your post at the top of the first page marter! How do you manage to snake the first response to every thread I look at?

I'm stealthy like that. I don't really know, I just have a tab open to the off-topic discussion, and I refresh it pretty often.

I have the same problem. I can't ever play as a dick when the game makes a big deal out of it.

In games like GTA, I could go hours by killing everyone I see and not feel an ounce of remorse because the game portrays them as nameless, faceless citizens that will just respawn in about 5 minutes and you're never punished for it.

In a game like Infamous or Fallout 3, you're punished for it and the game does a great job of making you feel like an asshole for what you've done.

I can't deal with being a dick.

I actually have a huge problem being evil in games, whenever I set out to be the biggest douchebag on earth in games I just stop playing. Besides, I find the benefits of being the stalwart, loved hero of the land in moral choice game alot more rewarding.

If The Evil Mission Involves somthing like "Kill A Homeless Child and her dog"? Then no, if its "Blow Up A House Instead of USing soft entry tactics" Then Hells Yeah

I think I've reached some degree of hatred for living things then because I never fail to enjoy myself choosing the "evil" side so that I can kill everyone without ever caring about why. I only ever pick going "Good" for a challenge (or for simple completion/alternate stuff) and even then I wind up doing evil things once I have my little karma rating or whatever at a high enough scale that the innocents I just slaughtered don't affect my credit enough to care. Or it could just be because most AI NPC characters are frustrating or tend to get in the way so all intention of making them people I should give half a shit about disappears when they run in front of me while I'm trying to shoot a bad guy, or hit me and get a brawl going to a point where I have to shoot everyone or else die when I smack them back for it. So no, I have no remorse for choosing evil. Though I still must admit that I try hard to pick the good side in games I haven't played before/have gotten bored with the wanton destruction of the evil side for a few minutes and need a reminder of WHY I'm evil.

Here's my problem: I'm real life, I'm the nice guy who pretty much can't hurt a fly. But even nice guy's get pissed off once in awhile. Thus, the solution to that slow, boiling rage that eventually explodes to the surface is to load up Arcanum and burn an entire town down.

I'm able to play both good and evil. No problem with killing a few of the good guys or kill innocent bystanders. Though if I'm given an evil dialog option, like in Fallout 3 for example, I can have a little trouble with that. But only a little.

I tried playing through Fallout 3 as the bad guy but, ... I dunno... I just.... couldn't do it...

I guess I'd rather be a symbol of justice and hope than the embodiment of evil and chaos. I guess I also try to apply myself to the character and try to go down the road I would actually choose...
Whether or not I'd be successful or not remains to be seen... >.<;

Depends on my feelings towards the characters and all involved. If I get annoyed by a character (let us say those guitar players in Assassin's Creed II) it is hard not to kill them. On the other hand, if I genuinely like a character I don't want them to disapprove of my actions.

Cheery Lunatic:

I face the same thing, Mass Effect, Fable, hell even Steambot Chronicles I'm good, I only save evil for a second typically unfinished play through.

Yeah I have that problem too. Sure, playing as the evil guy in these sorts of games is 'more fun', but after a while I feel like a prick and want to become the good guy. It happened to me in Fallout 3 as well. I started off being an asshole then by the end I was a Good Guy.

With inFamous, I started off as a bad guy then not too soon into the game I wanted to become good. The problem with that is, in inFamous your powers get stronger depending on your Good/Evil thing so I was sort of at a disadvantage for a while because I was trying to become a good guy.

Milo Windby:
If I am playing a game that has only "evil" in the story line, I have no problem.
The moment I play a game where I have the choice between good or evil, no matter what I just can't play evil. I have to play good.

Same here. In a game like Overlord, I don't feel very 'close' to the character, because everything is predetermined already. It feels less like playing a game and more like watching a movie.

But, in a game like inFamous, where I have to make these choices, it just feels more real. It lets me think "what would I do if i was in this situation?", instead of just "I want to watch this character rip this other character's heart out"

I've always tried to project myself onto the character for immersion's sake, and when it comes to choices I always act like I would (or choose the choice closest to it). This usually results in a gray road but sometimes I surprise myself with my own morality (or lack thereof).

Usually I just do what gets me the better stuff. Even if it's just slightly better. If the chouce is like, "put a baby in a blender and get 20 bullets for your worst gun" or "Don't put a baby in the blender and get 19 bullets for your worst gun" That baby would be blended so fast it'd make your head spin.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked