Ugh, I can't pull the damn trigger!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Let me say. I was playing Half-Life 2 the other day (mind that there is no moral choice system in the Half-Life games) and was on the Highway 17 chapter. Having just killed the first gun ship, I hopped in the buggy and took off. With my typical retardation I accidentally hit a friendly NPC and killed him. Didn't even know that was possible. I walked over to make sure he was dead and found that staring at him racked me with grief. So much so that I reloaded a previous save (re-fought the gunship) and carefully avoided him the second time through.

Maybe it's just a testimate to how immersive HL2 is, but either way, I can't bring myself to be evil in any game, even when I'm not judged for it.

More offen then not, i do a evil playthrough, then a good one.

In things like InFamous, no. In things like fallout, yes. There are some EVIL decisions in that game.

Cheery Lunatic:
My friend and I were talking about inFamous the other day. He thought the Evil playthrough was ten times more fun than the "good" one. See, the problem with me is that I felt like such a flippin' douchebag that I couldn't play the evil half for more than 10 minutes. And that's for all "choose your destiny" video games. Yeah, I realize it all just boils down to pixels, but I still can't do it. I just feel so bad, as sad as that sounds.

I forgot where I read it, but turns out American gamers (not sure about European) have a harder time doing "evil" quests in comparison to the Japanese.

Who else has this problem?

Though I guess I'm asking the wrong crowd since a bunch of you guys are apathetic and antisocial (or at least what I've seen from posting here).

Wanna hear something really weird about the Japanese? They loved Medal of Honor: Rising Sun. Seriously! The best selling Medal of Honor game in Japan has them playing as American G.I.'s fighting the Japanese! How's that for a slice of What the Fuck?!
-More on point: I'm playing a Renegade Shepard in Mass Effect 2 right now, and I'm finding it really hard to be evil. Maybe it's because I actually have to look someone in the face. I was really hard to be evil in GTA4 because those fucking cops kept trying to kill me! My only option to be good so that I could survive! But yeah, I hear you I also have a really hard time being evil in games, it's just not in me.
-Oh, and about Mass Effect, How could anyone be mean to Tali? I could be fucking Satan to anyone else, but I have to be nice to her. I just can't summon enough hate to do it. Maybe if I watch a Michael Moore film.

I always want to be evil, but when the game is a decent game and portrays morality half realistically, I end up being very neutral. I end up only doing evil things for money and items etc instead of for fun. But being 100% good.. It makes the game boring.

I can play the bad guy in a game but after a while it gets boring. Hell I never finished my Fallout 3 Bad Karma file.

Then again, I'm not entirely good when I play. I help people, do the right thing, but if one NPC calls me a dumbass (TES & Fallout Mainly) I blow their shit away.

Aside from killing NPCs who piss me off or irritate me, I'm the good guy.

I usually play evil if only so that I can murder all the characters I hate. Unfortunately, evil characters often receive better rewards. For example, extortion: will you punch the guy in the head and take his money? Or will you not, and he will like you more. Too bad he's an extra character you'll never see again, probably should've punched him. This happens in game like NWN, Fable II, and Overlord.

Being a big fan of roleplaying, I am fine with being evil. If -I- feel bad doesnt matter when Im playing as a bad guy. Was fun once when I murdered and beheaded a foolish guagrd who always said mean thing about me and walked off into the night carrying it away as a trophy. (NWN Rp server)

I usually play through the good side. Mostly, that's just because it's better. Most evil paths just boil down to do random acts of evil to everything you find, no matter how stupid it is.

Seriously, when are they going to make a choose-your-destiny game where you can play as the mastermind who sometimes uses kind words to manipulate others?

Cheery Lunatic:
I forgot where I read it, but turns out American gamers (not sure about European) have a harder time doing "evil" quests in comparison to the Japanese.

You sure it wasn't a study carried out and then reported by fox news? When it comes to committing acts of killing people I didn't think most of you Americans had a problem, after all you all carry guns "just in case".

I usually just harm the people that I particularly don't like and help the people which I do like. If pressed to describe how I play open-ended games, I would say "I try to not be a douchebag." Which usually means that I tend towards a neutral to moderately good alignment.

Depends on the game in my case, but I'm a bit of a softy in general.

I can kill random NPCs in a game like Grand Theft Auto and think little of it, perhaps because of the lack of punishment (beyond a wanted level, which, actually, is often fun), but mainly because pretty much everyone in GTA's dark, corrupt world deserves it somehow.

In games with more consequences to ones' actions (even if that's just a bad reputation), I find it hard to do evil deeds. For instance, in the first area in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, you can align yourself with the loner Stalkers (who are generally honest) or the bandits (who rob Stalkers and are generally complete dicks). On my last playthrough of the game I fully intended to align with the bandits (go the evil way) just to see what it was like, and despite my intentions I fell in with the stalkers anyway, I just couldn't help it.

Further, while sometimes I go after mutants with a vengeance, I often find myself feeling sorry for the blind dogs and I feel pangs of guilt when I hear them whimper after being shot. Nowadays I often find myself trying to avoid them so I don't have to kill them. Q_Q

Likewise in Deus Ex, I've always thought it might be cool to concentrate on upgrading heavy weapons skills and melee, and become a big walking tank who regards everyone with contempt, but I always end up being a stealthy mediator who solves disputes and gives starving kids candy bars.

I can't even go 5 minutes...
My brother on the other hand, spent 15 minutes re-loading fallout 3, just to blow a granny's arms/legs off.
He's pure evil on games.
Whereas I killed my sister on Fable.
Could hardly sleep, so re-loaded about an hour beforehand just to save her.
It's pretty annoying.

For all of what I've done in Dante's Inferno, it felt like one was blasphemous in that you are forgiving the damned, or the other one goes with insult to injury in that you brutalize the damned souls instead.

I don't like be evil in most games since I feel douchey or like I'm telling that game world that all I can really do to the concept of that realm is obliterate orphanages and blow up people that don't deserve my ire. I also try to be good because it helps me try to reaffirm the views I have about my interactions with others even though I'm not a very nice person to a complete stranger IRL(I lack empathy for most others on a scale of I can't really know what that person is saying is all that sincere), but on the other hand I'm an O.C.D. completionist so I'll soldier through the bad path to see the difference in storyline/plotpoints. Though I do like games where you can be Neutral Awesome and say "ha!" to anybody in game that judges you since you're that great! I'm fairly certain that when not in a cutscene, the chosen one is allowed to be a complete arsehole.

Oh, and in Half-Life 2 I have a peculiar soft-spot for the rebels (annoying as they are), and once managed to keep a particular female medic alive throughout a dozen firefights (almost the entirety of the ''Anticitizen One'' chapter).

In fact, here she is!

Cheery Lunatic:
My friend and I were talking about inFamous the other day. He thought the Evil playthrough was ten times more fun than the "good" one. See, the problem with me is that I felt like such a flippin' douchebag that I couldn't play the evil half for more than 10 minutes. And that's for all "choose your destiny" video games. Yeah, I realize it all just boils down to pixels, but I still can't do it. I just feel so bad, as sad as that sounds.

Who else has this problem?

Though I guess I'm asking the wrong crowd since a bunch of you guys are apathetic and antisocial (or at least what I've seen from posting here).

Rachni Goddamn queen No matter how much of a renegade I'm playing through mass effect as I just Can not bring myself to kill her I've tried over and over I've tried closing my eyes and just holding downright and x but when I hear the cue for the choice I just wuss right out. Its weird cause in real life screwing people over is one of the few things that brings me any actual pleasure but Killing a giant space bug? NEVER

Marter:
I haven't had this problem, because, in the end, it's just a game. I'm not going to lose sleep over something that has no effect on real people.

holy shit is your avatar from the movie "God Bless America" ? I just saw that movie today and I thought it was epic...

Budweiser:
holy shit is your avatar from the movie "God Bless America" ? I just saw that movie today and I thought it was epic...

Yes it is.

And yes, it was a great film.

I will always take the good path, at least on my first playthrough of a game. If I end up playing through again, I will play the evil side, but I will feel guilty as sin every step of the way.

In any moral choice centered game, I will always take a "mostly good" path the whole time. I generally pick the good options, except when it only hurts villains, or when the choice is just too heartless to pick the good option (if you've played infamous 1, you already know what was the only choice I picked evil for).

The reason for this is because my first playthrough is "natural". I insert myself into the game, and apply my own morality to my actions. And I'm a generally pacifistic, kindhearted, aspires-to-be-a-hero kind of person, so my choices in game reflect that.

In later playthroughs, though...I can role play. I started an Infamous 1 replay as evil, and I just let loose. I set myself into the role of what Cole would feel like if he felt everyone was unfairly hating him, and had the unlimited power to do to them what he pleased. And then wrecking everyone's shit became really really easy and enjoyable.

In fact, the most natural way I've seen Evil cole played was at a friend's place. My friend was scouring the city looking for the last blast shard and was getting really upset. Then some civilians threw rocks at him. My friend snapped and went on a rampage, blowing up everything in sight saying "LEAVE ME ALOOOONE!!!! ALL OF YOU!!!!". That was pretty awesome to watch. XD

So yeah, I generally play the good guy, but I can role play the bad guys if I want. It's actually kind of refreshing sometimes to just not care, because your enemies are merely pixels that cannot be harmed. :P

I'm with you, playing evil characters just doesn't feel right to me. I guess because, when I'm playing, I try to do what feels natural to me, but the vast majority of evil decisions are things I would never do, so it just doesn't feel like something I should do.

I feel really uncomfortable playing stealth/snipe missions in games. Taking somebody out without them even knowing or having time to react just seems... wrong for some reason. Especially sniping, looking at some poor mob guard outside a building on a smoke break or something through my sniper scope, his life nothing more than a trigger pull and a bullet traveling faster than sound ripping through his skull.

Then I remember its a game lol :P. Could never do it in real life though. Only way i'd be able to kill somebody is if somebody was shooting back and me. Even then, i'd try to find a way to avoid killing the person.

*looks at all the slaughtered towns in my New Vegas saves*

Nope, I don't have that problem at all. My current character is going to kill everything. Currently killing off the Legion and any stragglers I see, next up is the NCR.

Yeah I have exactly the same problem as you I just can't bring myself to do the evil actions in games like Mass effect or bioshock and skyrim when the good option exists.Which is odd seeing as I have great fun mowing down civilians and cops in GTA.

Damn, 2 years.....

JaceArveduin:
*looks at all the slaughtered towns in my New Vegas saves*

Nope, I don't have that problem at all. My current character is going to kill everything. Currently killing off the Legion and any stragglers I see, next up is the NCR.

I remember I didn't have 2000 caps when I got to the entrance of new vegas so I massacred the Kings and took all their stuff and sold it.

My Fallout character is evil. Always murdering people for no reason.

I've always had an issue playing as an evil character. It's not because I lose sleep over my in-game decisions. I think it's more a reflection of my personality placed on the character. It's not that I even feel bad for even making an evil choice, it's honestly what I would do if I were stuck in that situation.

I've tried to be an evil character before but I have to always think about it. "OK, I'm evil so I would have to do this." That sort of thing. But after a while, when I go into auto=pilot for dialogues and character interactions, I slip back into the role of being a good character.

I usually have no problem being evil. Though sometimes the thing is my evil options are limited to what I consider kind of a stupid evil. That bugs me. Or other times it bugs me when my evil character just doesn't seem ambitious enough. They lack the true depth of evil!

I've got that problem. I love Fallout: New Vegas and have easily clocked hundreds of hours in my multiple playthroughs.

And in each and every one, I just have to put several bullets in Caesar's head.

at first i weigh the options, and go with the most logical decision possible.

--

I tend to not go through the evil path because personally, it's not me and it is much more challenging to do the right thing, especially if the rewards are greater in the end. I wouldn't have a problem going the evil route, I would just probably have less fun.

Rather than simply defeating an enemy and proceeding, I have to make sure that they are dead, kill them in a creative way (that might take time), and completely obliterate everything in sight (also a time guzzler).

The ending of Infamous 2 (Evil)

usually i have no problem with being the biggest ass hole in the land...
however lately ive played the walking dead game and i just cant bring myself to letting the litle girl i am suposed to protect and the rest of the group...

Yea I don't have the "KILL ALL THE THINGS" viewpoint as some people do. I usually do what I would do, and that mostly turns out to be good. I don't think open world rpgs are the go-to games for the ultimate carnage that people want. I have stuff like Prototype and Just Cause 2 for that. In the context of the fantasy world I'm given, I would much rather have a world full of colorful characters of people who praise me as a hero than dead corpses.

Even taking the villain standpoint, who is more likely to obey your every word? People who fear you or people with an undying loyalty towards you? And who do you think is going to backstab you the first chance they get? Being a benevolent dictator is much more enjoyable if you ask me.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked