What is the purpose of smoking?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Furburt:

AWAR:

Does smoking "other things" make you wanna smoke? When I'm all out of "stuff" I get this strange urge.. It could be just me.

Nope, never. I don't use tobacco though, I just smoke it purely.

Oh yeah that might be the case.. Lucky you :P

looks cool.

Because it relaxes people. I'm not sure if it's something they put in the tobacco or if it's because they're addicted to it (and hence satisfying the addiction relaxes them), but that seems to be it. People get into it for different reasons. When people are younger, it makes them look tough, 'hardcore', and not afraid to break the rules.

These days, the only time a cig is enjoyable is immediately upon waking, or immediately after a big, satisfying meal. And, of course, the post-coital smoke is massively cliche for a reason...

Why I do it outside of those three events, I have no real idea. It's not even really that I enjoy it most of the time. It's more just a constant, nagging sensation in my brain that can only be calmed (never completely) by having a cig. Sometimes, it's back within seconds of finishing the smoke.

I also become a raging demon from Hell without one, and have even had two different counselors tell me that I do it as a form of self-corrective medication...

Why I started, I don't know. Growing up around it most of my life probably didn't help. Neither did the fact that I--was-- pressured into it by my peers in school, whether they intended it (or I intended it) or not.

I really want to quit. I've tried. But that damn nagging sensation and this ceaseless..."voice" coming from somewhere in the back of my head constantly convinces me that it's the right thing to do. I hate that nagging "voice." It's the same one that constantly convinces me to make impulse purchases I regret for the rest of forever, as well...

What's the purpose of piercings or tattoos? Both can get infected and cause issues.

People do a lot of dumb shit, but I shouldn't have to tell that to anyone here. I have smoked for over a decade and I am currently in the process of quitting. The reason I started was because it increased my high when I used to do drugs. Now that I have gotten older and wiser, I have been eliminating problems one vice at a time...except caffeine. I will murder someone if I don't get my caffeine.

Neptunus Hirt:

Bobzer77:
Smoking is one of the many modern tools natural selection has found to weed out those un-worthy of healthy life.

All we have to do is find a way to speed up the process.

Listen to yourself speaking. Don't be so prejudiced - I'm sure you enjoy something unhealthy yourself. Most people do.

I was just trollin ; )

I have to say though it is annoying when your subjected to other peoples smoke. I don't mind people who smoke as long as they don't force the consequences on me.

Neptunus Hirt:
As a child, I used to be prejudiced against smokers. I swallowed the anti-smoking propaganda whole. Now, as a young adult, I realize that all is not as black and white as it seemed when I was younger.

I'll lay it out in a simple-to understand list.
Some of the common reasons for smoking include:
- The taste. Different kinds of tobacco have different flavors, and some people enjoy them.
- The cool-factor. Smoking is cool in our society. There's something about the image of it. Pipes, cigars, cigarettes, they're all considered cool.
- The rush. Nicotine is a stimulant and provides many people with a comfortable feeling.
- Smoking breaks are enjoyed by many people, and provide a widely acceptable excuse to step outside and have a relaxed chat with other smokers.
- The habit. At the end of the day, smoking is a reliable, comforting activity that is safe to expect to be the same every time. Consider the above points, and how they work to de-stress the smoker.

I'm not a smoker myself, but I know plenty and have forced myself to look at the issue from their perspective.
Sure, smoking is bad for your health, but I urge people not to look at people who smoke as idiot. There are many reasons to smoke, and there are many reasons not to smoke.

A final word to the children on here, who would presume to judge (as I have in the past): The world is not as simple as you might think. Remember to look at things from fresh perspectives every once in a while.

Well spoken. I think it's also important for the younger readers to remember that the current generation is the first to really be be hit hard with the anti-smoking propaganda. When my parents were young and started smoking the media was absolutely saturated with cigarette adds. Even after the ads were banned from TV and radio they were still in magazines and on billboards. They didn't know the dangers, and once they did, they were already addicted.

But even today, knowing the dangers, if someone wants to smoke, that's their choice. People do things that are bad for them all the time. The only issue I have with smoking is second-hand smoke. If you want a cigarette, that's fine, but have the courtesy to leave the area if others don't want to be around the smoke.

To de-stress... And over a long period of time the average smoker will turn into a magical time traveling gnome.

I smoke because life is going to kill me anyways, and everything I work with is a carcinogen. Well, except the one insulation; it only causes cancer in rats in California.

I'm still confused whether or not the testing proved that rats from California got cancer, or if the rats got cancer in California, though.

When you are waiting for the bus and you got nothing to do, smoking makes you forget all about tedium. Beside, smokers are already aware of the consequence. They have a premature death wish.

I only started smoking when i was 20 years old. before that my ego wouldnt allow it. It s not that bad, feels good after dinner, just dont abuse it. All death is certain.

About the stress relief argument, that only works if you're already a smoker. My first cigarette tasted nasty and just made me a little dizzy and nauseous. I was already smoking weed quite heavily (and mixing it with tobacco as we are wont to do in this country) and it was a stopgap solution during a weed shortage. I don't really smoke weed any more unless it's a special occasion, and I recently quit cigarettes - not out of a conscious decision, but just because I couldn't be bothered to go to the shop to buy more. But they look real tasty when I see others smoking.

EDIT: and BTW, I was 18 when I started on the weed, which is pretty late around these parts.

I know people that started smoking cigarettes because they got addicted after smoking weed with tobacco heavily. Also, if you don't do it very often, you get a head rush. Once I stop getting that head rush I'll know to stop smoking weed for a while.

It's enjoyable, relaxing and it just has a nice feeling.
Imagine, sitting down in your comfy chair, let's say your in the safe room after a hard chapter of L4D 2 on expert realism and just enjoying a cigarette....oh yes.

There are many reasons to smoke and I find people calling us idiots or saying we are wasting money to be highly insulting!

Its quite saddening that most people are going towards the THEY JUST WANNA BE COOL DAWG LOLOLOLO route.

Granted some people do that, but most people I know do it to calm themselves. I do it because I enjoy it and it does calm me but I mostly enjoying the sensation of it and the feeling of it. I also like smoking whilst listening to music outside at night because it makes me feel like the only person alive on the planet for about 10 minutes. Smoking highs are also a good bonus.

These smoking hatred threads are getting far too popular, there are worse things than smoking.

Im guessing as a stress relife thats all ive seen it as.

It makes people happier. Thats the entire motivation for everything everyone does, directly on indirectly everyone works towards happiness. I think we need a thread asking why obese people eat so much, because the number one killer in america isn't lung cancer, its heart disease.

i only smoke when drunk, smoking is pretty chill.. you shouldn't throw around assumptions before trying something.. it's like if you're against alcohol saying exactly what you said, except you put in smoking instead.. but then you try alcohol and you realise it is fucking awesome. ^^

The only person who smokes in my immediate family is my dad, and he only smokes top quality Cuban cigars (suffice to say, he only smokes one or two times a year)

second hand smoking was bullshited on a episode of penn & teller btw.. but i can understand why some people don't like beeing smoked around.. ^^

Miles Tormani:
It relieves stress. It also calms your nerves. Your hands are actually steadier if you smoke a cigarette beforehand.

Also, it's legal. Holy shit, right?

so that's why all the riflemen in movies smoke cigarettes? : p

To realize that your an idiot in the long run.

I myself am not a smoker, but from what i have seen from the people around me and the things i have learned about WEED, I'm kinda tempted. I saw it on "Super High Me". The doctor told that one guy that he'd been smoking weed for like 17 years, and that he was just fine.

Influence - o - meter: 82%

qeinar:

Miles Tormani:
It relieves stress. It also calms your nerves. Your hands are actually steadier if you smoke a cigarette beforehand.

so that's why all the riflemen in movies smoke cigarettes? : p

Actually, in movies, everything is done in such a way to try to make the protagonist look "cool" or "evil." Including smoking a cigarette. I tried to avoid the media-driven reasons for smoking, but hey, if you want a media-driven reason, there you go.

However, that is one of the reasons Snake smokes. Your sniper shots are more accurate if you have the cigs equipped, and the scope wanders less. Handy if you run out of Pentazemin.

LamborghiniJackson:
I myself am not a smoker, but from what i have seen from the people around me and the things i have learned about WEED, I'm kinda tempted. I saw it on "Super High Me". The doctor told that one guy that he'd been smoking weed for like 17 years, and that he was just fine.

Influence - o - meter: 82%

weed is less dangerous for you than cigs since there is way less tobacco in weed. also a big part of the reason for the delegalization of weed was that it was associated with crimes back in the day when it was legal. Although having weed in you probably won't make you feel more like robbing a bank (although you might find that a cool idea when stoned, but robbing a bank while you are stoned is probably really hard..)

oh also cool fact on the snake part there (post above this), i ment it abit ironicly.. : p

Nicotine. Do you really need to start a thread to find out?

I grew up in a house where both my parents smoked... and drank. Granted, I have a natural immunity to alcohol, but I smoke cigarettes because my drug of choice isn't legal. Seeing as how they are working as hard as they can to make cigarettes as easy to get as say, a supermodel with a good personality.
I'm working on quitting before the government tells me I can't smoke anymore. Thanks to the PACT act, it's getting entirely too prohibitive to get them at a decent price. My mom needs to quit. She's got a horrible smoker's cough, but she's at the age that she farts when she coughs. Totally has ruined the humor of farts for me for a while.
Besides, it's not like I have a wife or a girlfriend or kids to worry about killing with secondhand smoke. So as long as people are just killing themselves, let them. So far that isn't illegal.

Nicotene acts as a mood stabilizer that helps reduce stress at a chemical level. Some people smoke for the same reason others take drugs like Prozac -- because they are experiencing emotions that make their life unpleasant.

And some people just want to look like Lauren Bacall.

Smoking is a good thing, it reduces the population of dumb ass humans = less strain on our resources :D

Population control rules...now we just wait and let them die

marter:
It helps people de-stress. It's also great for people with a death wish. :p

That's what I came here to say.

Miles Tormani:

Actually, this is incorrect. Ok, it's partially correct.

Nicotine is an agonist of the nicotinic acetylcoline neuroreceptors, in other words, it's a sort of stimulant. It's a dependency-inducing stimulant (like most drugs). The principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics will tell you, in short, that the more you abuse a substance, the more you'll face the exact opposite effects when you're not on said substance. As it's regularly known: withdrawal symptoms.

So basically, without going too much into the exact effects of nicotine as a neurotransmiter, there are 2 effects at work here:
1 - Nicotine as a muscular stimulant may help you regain muscular control if tired, due to an activation of the sympathetic nervous system (i.e.: "Fight or flight" response).
2 - A regular smoker will experience the exact opposite effects on a regular basis while not under effect of the nicotine, so their tendency to have their hands shake at all, feel more stressed, more tired, and such will be much higher, which will be "normalized" upon the next administration of the drug at hand (nicotine).

In shorter words: it's not that smokes make you all that calmer or all that more "stable", they just fuck you up more when you're not on them so you think they're making you better.

I smoke Cigars to look cool. I smoke my hooka because i enjoy it.

I smoke cigars every couple of months and am workign on finding the right pipe and the right tobacco for that.

It's enjoyable. That's it. It's very tasty. Hell, grab a... even though it's pretty crappy and cheap, Phillies chocolate blunt. Put your lips on it. Instantly it feels like you've ate a chocolate bar. You don't even have to smoke the stuff and still enjoy what is hte equivelant of a flavor spray of sorts. Once you smoke it you get a nicotine buzz and you've given your head less oxygen creating a euphoric feeling.

I don't think I look cool. I do it because I like to do it personally and I try to keep it as far away from otehrs as possible. I don't need looks of contempt from ignoramus "holier than thou" types for enjoying a rewarding hobby.

Caliostro:

Miles Tormani:

Nicotine is an agonist of the nicotinic acetylcoline neuroreceptors, in other words, it's a sort of stimulant. It's a dependency-inducing stimulant (like most drugs). The principles of pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics will tell you, in short, that the more you abuse a substance, the more you'll face the exact opposite effects when you're not on said substance. As it's regularly known: withdrawal symptoms.

So basically, without going too much into the exact effects of nicotine as a neurotransmiter, there are 2 effects at work here:
1 - Nicotine as a muscular stimulant may help you regain muscular control if tired, due to an activation of the sympathetic nervous system (i.e.: "Fight or flight" response).
2 - A regular smoker will experience the exact opposite effects on a regular basis while not under effect of the nicotine, so their tendency to have their hands shake at all, feel more stressed, more tired, and such will be much higher, which will be "normalized" upon the next administration of the drug at hand (nicotine).

In shorter words: it's not that smokes make you all that calmer or all that more "stable", they just fuck you up more when you're not on them so you think they're making you better.

*sigh*

Failing to notice that the first cigarette is usually calming as well, I see. What's that then, a placebo effect? I find that hard to believe when it's so common.

And what the hell is it with people always jumping on my comments when other people are saying similar (or debatably worse) things?

Caliostro:

Miles Tormani:

ah but it also means that you will be more stable if you are a tired nonsmoker and then puff a ciggy! : D also i think cafine have the same effects, it's good for you at first, but after a while you need it to not be tired.. ^^

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked