5.9% (9)
Depends on what we're talking about
26.1% (40)
26.1% (40)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: How many is a few?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

How many do you consider a few to be?

P.S.What is it with the moronic new site design?I had to highlight the text to see what I was typing into and the breadcrumbs (the forum navigation link at the top) just sort of blur into the background.

Depends. A few usually is 3-5 for me, but a few can be up to 10, too.

Maybe they are making themes to go along with each weeks article which I think is pretty cool. Now I must ask did you just make this entire thread to complain about the site theme?

OT: I always considered a few to be 3, a couple to be 2, and one is the loneliest number.

Other: Two is a couple, twelve is a dozen so three to eleven is a few.

Edit: The site seems fine to me.

A little more than a couple, slightly less than a bunch.

A couple is two, so I consider a few to be 3

Why are we talking about this?

I always thought it was meant to be ambiguous. Otherwise you'd have an exact number to quote :P.

Addendum:
I'm also having the same problem with the new site layout... Disable your adblocker[1]- not that I would use such a thing!

[1] I think it's themis-media.com (in my case cdn.themis-media.com) that needs to be unblocked, or at least whitelisted.

A few is less than a bunch, but more than a bundle.

Or, in laments terms: 3.

I say it depends on the subject.

couple = 2
few = 3
several = 4-11
dozen = 12
After that more than a dozen. Never heard anyone say several if they meant 12 or more.

Depends. Physical things and abstract concepts are different. Generally "a few" is 3-7 for physical things. For abstract concepts like time...

manythings:
couple = 2
few = 3
several = 4-11
dozen = 12
After that more than a dozen. Never heard anyone say several if they meant 12 or more.

..."a few minutes" is anywhere between 7-15 minutes to me at least.

Aeshi:
How many do you consider a few to be?

A few is more than two, generally less than twelve.

manythings:

several = 4-11

Several does not start at 4. If there were four chocolates in a box I would not say that there were several.

sunami88:
I always thought it was meant to be ambiguous. Otherwise you'd have an exact number to quote :P.

Addendum:
I'm also having the same problem with the new site layout... Disable your adblocker[1]- not that I would use such a thing!

I wouldn't refer to having an add blocker if I were you. Wouldn't risk it.

OT: like many have said I would say 3 or more up to about a dozen or so.

[1] I think it's themis-media.com (in my case cdn.themis-media.com) that needs to be unblocked, or at least whitelisted.

A few is 3, but the way I see it, if you mean to say 3 why not just say 3? It's a perfectly good number and doesn't need a language equivalent.

I'd say about three or four.
Also I consider six - ten to be a bunch.

A few to me means like 500 headshots in Call of Duty.

OT: I think its 3-5 because 2 is a couple.

I think of it as less than 6, but more than 1.

BonsaiK:

If there were four chocolates in a box I would not say that there were several.

I would. I wouldn't say there were a few either, because a few is definitively 3 in my book; just like a couple is always 2.

Neat topic.

It could be between 3 and 7, although it really depends on context, unlike several which is always about 6-10.

A few would be an indefinite number that can vary slightly depending on what you're talking about, but generally is about three. I wouldn't call anybody wrong that used the term a few to describe any number from 2 to about 8ish. 10 is absolutely never a few though.

Next would be several, that would vary in the range of 4 to 12ish. Usually it would refer to about 5 or 6 though.

Past that it gets even more vague. You have "quite a few", or "a bunch", or "a lot". They all basically just mean more than several.

A couple and a dozen are different sorts of things, not fit for comparison because they refer to exact numbers. 2 and 12, respectively of course.

GBlair88:
Other: Two is a couple, twelve is a dozen so three to eleven is a few.

I've always used it to mean "more than a couple, less than half a dozen". That's just my take on it though, it's still pretty much the couple/dozen thing.

Few is 3 or 4. But a FAIR few is anything from 4 to 11. That;s a rule of mine.

Calumon: I just say "A bunch." ^^

Always 2. It must be 2.

crudus:

..."a few minutes" is anywhere between 7-15 minutes to me at least.

I would say a few mintures if I meant 10 at most but we can chock that up to time OCD.

BonsaiK:

Several does not start at 4. If there were four chocolates in a box I would not say that there were several.

I would. Weird how things that can be so clear cut in your own head are really abstract when it comes to a group idea.

A few, to me, is three or four, nothing more.

Rakkana:
Always 2. It must be 2.

Two is a couple~

4-9

Less than a shitload but more than a couple.

It's relative. If it's "how many guitars do I have?", a few is three. If it's "how many blue whales still live?", then a few is around (checking...) 8,000.

I've always seen it as greater than 2, yet less than a dozen.

So none of those except for 'other.'

3 to 7

A few is 1-4, several is 5-9, pack 10-19, lots 20-49 etc. I'd thought this was agreed upon in HoM&M 3 (possibly earlier, I wasn't around back then though :P)

More than a couple and less than a bit.

More then 2.

if I'd translate it to dutch I'd say een paar which meens both a few and a pare and as we al know pares are 2 that makes 2..... though yea people use it for other amounts...

Depends on what were talking about. VERY RELEVANT when speaking of things that can be numbered in the gajillions. Like the number of atoms in the universe. Or a much smaller number, the number of people in the world. It depends on what you are proportioning it to.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked