The Escapist Community and Forums Codex & Index & Guides

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Community and Forums Codex & Index

Find Everything you need for the best Escapist Experience.

What is this?:
To give the Moderators and the community a hand, I thought I would take the liberty of doing an up-to-date Escapist Community and Forum Codex/Map (updated regularly), with everything detailed from guides to user groups to help make your navigation, for users both new and old, and use of the forums that much better and easier. It is also to help prevent people's hard work towards supporting the community going unnoticed.

The Forums

Rules and Guidelines on use of the Forums

Getting started in the Forums

General

Forum Games and RP

User Reviews

Religion and Politics

Advice Forum

Featured Content

Browse the latest Featured content of the Escapists talented Writers and Video makers

Click to view the pages for each of the Shows and the index of all the episodes:

Zero Punctuation
Zero Punctuation is The Escapist's groundbreaking video review series starring Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw. Every Wednesday Zero Punctuation picks apart the games so you don't have to. Called "hilariously cutting ... first legitimate breakout hit from the gaming community in recent memory" by Boing Boing, see why gamers love it and developers fear it.

Unskippable
Unskippable makes fun of bad game cinematics so you don't have to.

Escape to the Movies with Movie Bob
Escape to the Movies reviews the movies so you don't have to.

Loading Ready Run
Watch new hilarious sketch comedy from LoadingReadyRun every Monday here at The Escapist.

Reviews
Video reviews.

Trailers
The Escapist presents trailers from the latest and greatest gaming has to offer.

No Right Answer
Two geeks, one question, no right answer. Each week, the arbitrators of the arbitrary dig deep into the important questions facing internet culture today.

Jimquisition
A show in which a fat British man who wears sunglasses indoors rants angrily about the injustices of mankind, interspersed with MS Paint doodles of videogame characters doing terrible things.

Top 5 With Lisa Foiles
Some things are better than others. Lisa Foiles makes a list of the top 5 best and worst things in games, so you don't have to.

Feed Dump
Graham and the LoadingReadyRun Crew fill you in-as best they can-on the strangest news stories of the week.

Movie Defense Force
Jim Sterling explains why that movie you think is horrible is actually fantastic.

Miracle Of Sound
Your favorite games in music form. Only at The Escapist

Escapist Podcast
Join Escapist staff and contributors every week as we discuss video games and gaming lifestyle.

The Big Picture
A Hard Look at All Things Geek.

Jim And Yahtzee's Rhymedown Spectacular
Jim and Yahtzee take their rhymes to the internet and explore the world of gaming through verse.

Archived Videos:

Written Features:

Read the escapist Magazine Issue's, past and present, here

Click to See the full list of works by the Escapists Shamus Young - Comedy, Comics and Articles

Experienced points
Experienced Points is Shamus Young's weekly attempt to making the game industry less dysfunctional by arguing with a rhetorical wall and hoping things somehow change for the better.

Critical Miss
Cory Rydell and Grey Carter's webcomic about a one Erin Stout and her life's mission to survive the harsh world of game journalism.

Extra Punctuation
Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw types up more scathing commentary on the game industry and community every week.

Moviebob - Intermission
Bob "MovieBob" Chipman shares his insight into all things cinematic every Friday.

Community

Current Escapist Events

N/A

User Groups

A Guide & Index to User Groups

Community Discussion

Escapist game community

Escapist Steam group
Point of contact: Virgil
Escapist Urban Dead
Point of contact: Haliwali
Escapist Bad Company 2-ers
Escapist Modern Warfare 2 Team

Escapist Internet Community

Escapist Facebook
Point of contact: Nasrin
The Escapist on Last FM:
Point of contact:Unknown (pm me if you know)
Community Contests.

Escapist Moderators

Getting to Know Your Moderators

imageCurrently, we employ a staff of Escapist editors, programmers and volunteers to communicate with our readers, uphold the forums, keep everything organized and swing the Banhammer in times of need. They are:

Retired Moderators:

Feel free to leave comments and suggestions for additions! :P

Hope you found this useful!

I like it!

Very intuitive, flows from most important and down.

Also, very nice use of code, it looks very professional.

WHY DID I SAY THESE WORDS

Tis a good thread. Maybe add a list of popular User Groups for new users to look at.

Nice work, hopefully this will help the new people.

Well done. This would definitely help all the newcomers.

Loads of great info here. New users will benefit from this.

Superb work Claymorez, I'm really proud of you.

We now have a thread to link to new users who really have no clue what else happens at the Escapist besides Zero Punctuation. Good work!

This is the second thread of yours I've bookmarked Claymorez. Good work, and good presentation.

The Avatar store, for all your custom avatar needs, say please and thank you to these outstanding members and they may be willing to bring life to your avatar.

Are you tired of shooting the another member of the Escapist UK on some online shooter?, tire no more, add yourself to the Escapist UK for a meet up in real life for a nice friendly round of Paintballing fun.

Escapism
The incredibly sexy Aussies of this site deemed it fit to get together and take pictures of each other for our veiwing pleasure.

Could I propose adding these links in, I've put a tagline to sell them to you.

ColdStorage:

The Avatar store, for all your custom avatar needs, say please and thank you to these outstanding members and they may be willing to bring life to your avatar.

Are you tired of shooting the another member of the Escapist UK on some online shooter?, tire no more, add yourself to the Escapist UK for a meet up in real life for a nice friendly round of Paintballing fun.

Escapism
The incredibly sexy Aussies of this site deemed it fit to get together and take pictures of each other for our veiwing pleasure.

And to the TARDIS Crew group? You are part of it after all claymorez :)

Well it got stickied, now if anyone will actually read it : /

TimeLord:

ColdStorage:

Escapism

And to the TARDIS Crew group? You are part of it after all claymorez :)

I say no, because those were chosen since they benefit the community.

Generally, the criticism I have to offer is stuff I brought up in the old thread anyway, so I've cut out anything which is now irrelevant from the quote to make it simpler, as well as adding in a few more notes:

Zombie_Fish:

Suggestions go to here

And this is a dead link, it just leads to a 404 Error.

If there's any reason for ignoring those points or if you're planning on implementing them in the future then feel free to tell me.

Congratulations on getting this stickied as well. As a replacement for the old map is is certainly a damn good one.

EDIT:

ColdStorage:
Snip

The Avatar Store is already listed under 'Community Discussion'.

EDIT2: Is your avatar Megas XLR with a rainbow in it? Because that's just awesome.

Zombie_Fish:

EDIT:

ColdStorage:
Snip

The Avatar Store is already listed under 'Community Discussion'.

Oops, I was looking for it but couldn't find it.

I have something you may want to add up there Claymorez.

BloodyThoughts:
I have something you may want to add up there Claymorez.

Good idea - thou I omitted them as its on Kulinai's stuck thread - thou I am updating the index next week so we shall see - thx for the suggestion :P

May be worth adding this thread to the User Reviews section.

Zombie_Fish:

Cheers! Just added it and the additions to the written features like with the videos :P
I'll add more :D

Zombie_Fish:

This thread now has a second thread due to the character limit.

Zombie_Fish:

Zombie_Fish:

This thread now has a second thread due to the character limit.

Added it :P

Thx - as always if have more to suggest just leave a message here or pm me :P

so how do i post a picture?

Mister Awesome:
so how do i post a picture?

This really isn't the best place to ask but the code is [img]*image url*[/img]:

Hit the quote button next to my post if you want to see how I did that exactly. If you need any help figuring out other stuff you can do on the forums, it's probably already explained here, here or here and if none of those mention how then a comment in one of those threads would probably be more suitable than asking here.

Zombie_Fish:

EDIT2: Is your avatar Megas XLR with a rainbow in it? Because that's just awesome.

Yep it is!, if you look closely the "head" (the V10 Barracuda car) is in his hand, so he's "headless"... kinda my thing with the avatars. Its funny since I consider myself to be the king of France on this site and we all know what happens to French Kings.

Also congrats on becoming a moderator!, fine addition you be!.

It seems that everyone's becoming a mod these days... O.o

A new thread of threads has been made.

I'll just leave that there X3

Updating later this evening with new sections.

Claymorez:
Updating later this evening with new sections.

>.> Maybe a linkie to the new Community Members Thread in your Index

Right. This shall be hot keyed for linkage.

Thank you.

I feel so left out 'cause I'm only an IRC mod :(

*cries in her corner*

Radelaide:
I feel so left out 'cause I'm only an IRC mod :(

*cries in her corner*

Now you made me feel bad so I will go off to edit all the lists of moderators and add a new section which includes IRC Mods... :P

Plus I'll be updating the whole index with a mojor over hall over the next few days and nights! :D

Is there a list of posting level titles and what post ranges they encompass? i.e. right now I'm a Beat Writer, and that goes from 126 to y number of posts. Before that I was Copy Clerk, which I think went from 51 to 125.

DiMono:
Is there a list of posting level titles and what post ranges they encompass? i.e. right now I'm a Beat Writer, and that goes from 126 to y number of posts. Before that I was Copy Clerk, which I think went from 51 to 125.

There's no official list by the staff but various users have made lists of them in the past, if you search the forums enough you'll probably find a full list somewhere. I just copied this from a thread I found with a few changes from my own experience, so it may not be fully reliable:

Anonymous Source: 0-25 posts.
Paperboy: 25-50 posts.
Copy Clerk: 50-100 posts.
Beat Writer: 100-200 posts.
Muckraker: 200-300 posts.
Press Junketeer: 300-500 posts.
Infamous Scribbler: 500-750 posts.
Pulitzer Laureate: 750-1000 posts.
Gone Gonzo: 1000-5000 posts.
On The Record: 5000-8000 posts.
Master Archivist: 8000-10000 posts.
Wordsmith Extraordinaire: 10000-15000 posts.
Nobel Laureate: 15000+ posts.

EDIT: Here's the original thread, if you're interested. The changes I've done to the list were for the bottom five titles.

Zombie_Fish:

DiMono:

There's no official list by the staff but various users have made lists of them in the past, if you search the forums enough you'll probably find a full list somewhere. I just copied this from a thread I found with a few changes from my own experience, so it may not be fully reliable:

Anonymous Source: 0-25 posts.
Paperboy: 25-50 posts.
Copy Clerk: 50-100 posts.
Beat Writer: 100-200 posts.
Muckraker: 200-300 posts.
Press Junketeer: 300-500 posts.
Infamous Scribbler: 500-750 posts.
Pulitzer Laureate: 750-1000 posts.
Gone Gonzo: 1000-5000 posts.
On The Record: 5000-8000 posts.
Master Archivist: 8000-10000 posts.
Wordsmith Extraordinaire: 10000-15000 posts.
Nobel Laureate: 15000+ posts.

EDIT: Here's the original thread, if you're interested. The changes I've done to the list were for the bottom five titles.

Well for sure the first few are out of date. I was Paperboy from 11-50 and I didn't enter Beat Writer until 126. I guess I'll keep track of the ranks as I advance through them and update it here.

Edit: Beat Writer ends at 225 and becomes Muckraker at 226.

Edit 2: Muckraker ends at 350, Press Junketeer begins at 351.

Edit 3: Press Junketeer ends at 500, Infamous Scribbler begins at 501.

So the updated list so far is:

Anonymous Source: 0-10
Paperboy: 11-50
Copy Clerk: 51-125
Beat Writer: 126-225
Muckraker: 226-350
Press Junketeer: 351-500
Infamous Scribbler: 501-?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook