Why the belief Digimon copied pokemon?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Whatever you guys say, we all know that Shin Megami Tensei is significantly better and came first, right?/Joking....partially.

Because the Simpsons did it first.

But no, seriously, it's cause one group will always see another show that's becoming popular and competing within the same niche, (kids beat monsters up with other monsters) and they can't bear to be wrong about which one is "better" (as defined by popularity). Claiming copying is the easiest way to discredit anyone or anything.

To do some residential nit-picking, Digimon came out BEFORE Pokemon. But the TV show took longer to come out, is all.

Checkmate.

KiruTheMant:
Alright,No this isn't a bitch thread.

Greatest post of the month.

Anyway, Digimon came out in 1997, Pokemon came out in '95[1]. So yes, I'm sure the creators of Digimon took more than a few inspirational cues from Pokemon. Both have creatures that fight[2], both have kids controlling them/being their masters[3], both were made in Japan[4].

The only difference I can see is that in Digimon, they fight against evil Digimon, and don't store Digimon in a ball, and each of the kids only have one creature.
In Pokemon, though, the difference is that they fight against evil humans, and store Pokemen in a ball, and each of the kids only have about over 9000 creatures![5]

[1] Though those are merely the TV shows.
[2] Though Pokemon's creatures are more memorable, zing!
[3] Being their masters...now that brought some weird mental images.
[4] Okay, maybe that mental image wasn't unexpected.
[5] Citation needed.

I would imagine the IDEA was to go on pokemons success, but Digimon always seemed to have a much more mature theme to it, people actually died, the plot was about fighting the powers of darkness, the characters seemed more developed, and it was less cutesy.

But in all fairness, unless you actually watched it, I fully expect you to have just wrote it off as a rip off, because that wasn't possible to know unless you actually watched the show.

Well, on the face of it the two franchises are remarkably similar, and Pokemon was (and still is) more popular, an people will always accuse the lesser-known one of copying the well known one.

Simple.

But pokemon was better.

Really? I did not even hear about it. I just saw Digimon and Pokemon as 2 totally different things. Even the style was different to me. Anyway, its probably becuz Pokemon was more popular and came out a little earlier.

well digimon kinda did suck compared to pokemon.
the reason i probly hate it so much is that people would like digmon over pokemon just because pokemon was super popular at the time

I think why people say that Digimon copied Pokemon was because Pokemon sued Digimon for copying them and they got, what 8 million from that sue? So is that proof that even one of the highest authorities in Japan thought that Pokemon had enough proof against Digimon that they were able to sue them in court an win!!!
I watched Pokemon and very very very little Digimon in my time, I was just more fond of Pokemon, no idea why.

KiruTheMant:
But really the only thing they share is the monster angle,and that could mean godzeera was the original pokemon.

Who the hell is godzeera?

Also, I dont believe that I've always thought that pokemon, and digimon were similar in name because of english translation. Though I'm sure a few pages were taken from the others book.

blinkgun96:
Who the hell is godzeera?

Godzeera = Godzilla in a very thick and racist Asian accent. This dialect is also sometimes referred to as "Engrish".

To be honest, until I saw a thread speaking from the other side of this argument (that digimon ripped off pokemon and the OP was angry about it) I never noticed much similarities between them and frankly didn't care. I mean oh sure when a friend of mine was explaining the show to me (this was before I ever saw an episode) back in the third grade I distinctly remember asking him "So it's like pokemon?" which he responded to with "Kinda, but the kids only have one and they can evolve at will." After I sat there trying to understand the concept he just told me to watch an episode the next Saturday and I would understand...He was right.

I like to think both series held an equal place in my heart when it came to being a fan. I couldn't help but look at Pokemon though and realize that Ash was never ever going to win the grand daddy tournament in the particular region he was catching pokemon in. Also that James was flamingly gay and Jessie was his bossy hag. (kinda like Karen and Jack from Will & Grace)

I'd look at Digimon on the other hand and see a plot; a plot that at my young age was utterly enthralling. I mean hell, Digimon didn't screw around when it came to mortality.I seem to remember them killing an evil digimon or killing Padomon for shits and giggles on a routine basis.(I think I almost lost it when they killed Wizardmon) Oh, and those first set of movies they released, kicked so much ass that to this day are full of win. Were the names of the digimon particularly imaginative, pfft they were down right terrible in some cases. Cripes I mentioned one earlier that was Wizardmon, you know what he did and was? He was an f'ing wizard that resembled Vivi from FF9 and did wizardy things for people.

In short, both were part of my childhood and played different roles. Pokemon was my time-sink and Digimon was my first cohesive television series. I frankly don't care if there was copying involved.

I remember the Digimon hand-held games in school (everyone had them!) before GameBoy's Pokemon was popular at lunchtime. I always felt that digimon stole the concept behind tamogotchis... but made them available to a male audience.

The difference; you actually looked after your Digimon [Sure, you took your Pokemon to the Poke-Centres when they were low on health - and used antidotes, etc. when they were posioned] but you had to feed your Digimon and clean-up after it.

I think the TV anime series revealed the similarities between the two worlds (poke and digi) for me but I liked both.

Pokemon definately out-lasted Digimon, no doubt about it. But the hand-held games were totally different (apart from the orginal Pokemon also being in black and white contrast) and there was only ever so long before starting a new Digimon egg [because you killed your last Monster] got boring.

A Mad Monk 2:
the reason i probly hate it so much is that people would like digmon over pokemon just because pokemon was super popular at the time

Alright,3 things.

1. Hate what?You didn't clarify.
2. Once again,this isn't a favoritist/bitch thread. Please don't spark it (even if the thread died)
3. Please note 2.

Ivan Brogstog:
I remember the Digimon hand-held games in school (everyone had them!) before GameBoy's Pokemon was popular at lunchtime. I always felt that digimon stole the concept behind tamogotchis... but made them available to a male audience.

The difference; you actually looked after your Digimon [Sure, you took your Pokemon to the Poke-Centres when they were low on health - and used antidotes, etc. when they were posioned] but you had to feed your Digimon and clean-up after it.

I think the TV anime series revealed the similarities between the two worlds (poke and digi) for me but I liked both.

Pokemon definately out-lasted Digimon, no doubt about it. But the hand-held games were totally different (apart from the orginal Pokemon also being in black and white contrast) and there was only ever so long before starting a new Digimon egg [because you killed your last Monster] got boring.

Ah details. I enjoy them.

Well, they both end in the suffix -mon, they both involve monsters and children using said monsters to fight other monsters, they both had trading card games, tv shows, and video games. The monsters in both series evolved into stronger monsters, the relationship between child and monster was, for the most part, a mutually beneficial one(in a you help me, I help you kind of way).

But, at least Digimon could actually talk. Oh, and Meowth.

superbatranger:
Well, they both end in the suffix -mon, they both involve monsters and children using said monsters to fight other monsters, they both had trading card games, tv shows, and video games. The monsters in both series evolved into stronger monsters, the relationship between child and monster was, for the most part, a mutually beneficial one(in a you help me, I help you kind of way).

But, at least Digimon could actually talk. Oh, and Meowth.

\

Card Games pop up everywhere, I remember a year or two ago,seeing a Bleach,Naruto,and other kinds of card games. Video games aren't so rare,but the shows are their key parts.

Kind of an odd question; just one look at the premise will tell you that it's the same shit.

Breaker deGodot:
Kind of an odd question; just one look at the premise will tell you that it's the same shit.

An odd question is why is that spider wearing roller blades and using an umbrella to bake flapjacks. The point of this thread is to gather information,not get ones opinions of what show is better,so PLEASE REPHRASE THE ANSWER MY GOOD SIR >:|

KiruTheMant:

Breaker deGodot:

An odd question is why is that spider wearing roller blades and using an umbrella to bake flapjacks. The point of this thread is to gather information,not get ones opinions of what show is better,so PLEASE REPHRASE THE ANSWER MY GOOD SIR >:|

You're right, that is an odd question. And I apologize, that was my hatred of both shows talking. What I meant was that their premises are extremely similar.

Pokemon came out earlier. Not only that, it is much, much better.

peteron85:
Pokemon came out earlier. Not only that, it is much, much better.

1. Another biased Answer that dosen't pretain to the topic.
2. YOU HAVE A POKEMON AVATAR,LIKE I HAVE A DIGIMON AVATAR,Please just answer the bloody question.

Well for me it's the evolving. Both had evolving monsters not just plain monsters. That's my beef.

It must be the "kids with monsters fighting monsters"-theme, the -mon in both the names and the fact that both monsters could evolve into something (usually) bigger and stronger. That much everybody knew, and that's all the info everyone wanted. Unless they were fans.

A bit offtopic-y, but the dub is the real reason pokemon was considered better than digimon in finland: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDJiRmnwA_Q&feature=related

Wahful:
I don't think that it copied pokemon as such i think it just seen the success that it was having and thought "Ima get me some of that".

Which happens with allot of things really.

So, you're saying... You don't think they copied them, but they saw what they did and said, "let's do that!" ?

mainly because of the reason that Digimon was released as a rival to Pokemon?

A Mad Monk 2:

KiruTheMant:

A Mad Monk 2:

Alright,3 things.

2. Once again,this isn't a favoritist/bitch thread. Please don't spark it (even if the thread died)
3. Please note 2.

1. digmon sucks.
2. its the internet, i should be allowed to bitch

1. Thats an opinion.
2. This thread is asking questions. Make a digimon hate thread and go get banned if you want dude,but don't turn this thread into a flamewar.

KiruTheMant:

A Mad Monk 2:

KiruTheMant:

A Mad Monk 2:

Alright,3 things.

3. Please note 2.

1. digmon sucks.

1. Thats an opinion.
2. This thread is asking questions. Make a digimon hate thread and go get banned if you want dude,but don't turn this thread into a flamewar.

1. I have, and i will

IIRC, Digimon came out a little before Pokemon in Japan, but Pokemon was released first over in America, and its succes led to Digimon being licenced. So basically anyone who was watching the anime at that time always thought Pokemon came first, and thus with similar names and a 'monsters follow kids around' basic principle, people just believed what seemed to be pretty logical (remember that this is with child/early teen logic and for some people before the days of common internet usage to verify facts immediately.) Thus to people at that time (me included) Pokemon came out on TV first, therefore it was first and Digimon copied it.

Also, I've been reminding my friends of this with insufferable smugness whenever they bring up the topic, so at least my little band of friends are informed.

The Pokemon anime was released 1st in most western countries.

Plus when people see the "mon" they think oh they must have copied

WrongSprite:
Because it's about a bunch of kids going around catching cute little Japanese monsters and making them fight each other?

Dunno, just a thought.

But it isn't. Like, at all.

The two animés are totally different apart from the 'mon' in their titles. And that simple 'mon' leads to a 'rip-off'.

A Mad Monk 2:

1. digmon sucks.

I hope you enjoyed your short stay...

Pokemon came out first and they both have the same last three letters in their titles. Thats why.

I think it's because of the MON at the end of their names... At least that's how it was for me when i was a little kid...

AdamRBi:
Personally I'm surprised they didn't call the trees "DigiTrees" or the antagonists "Digitagonists." The word Digi was thrown around so much it got a little silly

The term "Digi" was of course originated form digital, seeing as the entire Digimon world was a computer world-thing (as seen in generation 2, when they use their digi-pokedex-things to magically throw them into the world)

OT: Because of the millions of millions of small things that make them similar.
Teens, monsters, both of the pokedex thingys, and both of the animes trying to be accessible to both adults and kids and both failing on the adult part.

Personally, I only care for the Pokémon games (and the first movie, as that was my favorite movie as a kid), and the anime in Digimon.

So, to summarize: In games, Pokémon is way better.
In anime, Digimon is way better.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked