Facebook Statuses

Pages PREV 1 2

Yarkaz:
I used to be a facebook emo too. Then again, I used to actually be an emo, and I confess I was just one of those stupid kids with great lives who felt depressed for the heck of it. I got over it though, and stopped posting emo stuff on facebook.

Personally, I think people do it for attention. There are those who look at another person's drama, take it seriously, and see it as a chance to swoop in, change moods, and be a hero. People like the attention these "emotional saviors" give, and post emotional, dramatic statuses to feed on their attention.
Of course sometimes you have some real jerks on your friend list, and when you mix them with stupid facebook posters, this happens: http://failbook.com/

or maybe kids arent always stupid for being depressed ya know, maybe their dad and their dad's dad etc all have the mental disease of depression and its been handed down genetically over the years. but maybe I shouldnt be telling you off about this, apparently my genetic depression and the fact that im 13 mean I'm too stupid to type

ot:I dont have a facebook, but that sounds really stupid, if someone is really depressed they wont say "hey look at me im depressed, yay!" without any slight hint of provocation

People I know do that all the time. I don't get why you want to tell the world that your upset literally every hour.

I don't really see much depressed yammering among my Facebook friends list; it's mainly just song lyrics.

I cannot adequately express how much that irritates me. Why not just post "Hey, listen to 'x' song, it's really great"? Or, if you feel a certain way, why not explain it, instead of just copy-pasting words in which you have had no part in formulating?

Putting song lyrics on your Facebook status is a sure sign of a totally useless mind.

How's that for a rant? :P

My friends regularly type that life it useless/pointless, but it's not really too serious. People act differently on the net anyway, you just got to get used to it I guess..

I've never checked someone else's statues in Facebook, actually I just made an account and never returned.

But this is true with the Internet - listen to melodramatic people bitch about how they didn't get the last Poptart in the box.

Actually, the equation is: "Normal teenage guys + an environment where they can talk to girls without being face-to-face with said girls = said normal teenage guys pretending to be sensitive in a desperate attempt to get said girls".
Also, teenage girls are just naturally dramatic and romantic.

Jroo wuz heer:

Yarkaz:
I used to be a facebook emo too. Then again, I used to actually be an emo, and I confess I was just one of those stupid kids with great lives who felt depressed for the heck of it. I got over it though, and stopped posting emo stuff on facebook.

Personally, I think people do it for attention. There are those who look at another person's drama, take it seriously, and see it as a chance to swoop in, change moods, and be a hero. People like the attention these "emotional saviors" give, and post emotional, dramatic statuses to feed on their attention.
Of course sometimes you have some real jerks on your friend list, and when you mix them with stupid facebook posters, this happens: http://failbook.com/

or maybe kids arent always stupid for being depressed ya know, maybe their dad and their dad's dad etc all have the mental disease of depression and its been handed down genetically over the years. but maybe I shouldnt be telling you off about this, apparently my genetic depression and the fact that im 13 mean I'm too stupid to type

ot:I dont have a facebook, but that sounds really stupid, if someone is really depressed they wont say "hey look at me im depressed, yay!" without any slight hint of provocation

Or maybe these are people I know quite well who have fine lives, as the OP suggested.
I'll forgive you this once because you don't have a facebook, but generally you only add people you know in real life. I spend hours upon hours a week at some of these people's houses, as they are mostly good friends of mine. I'm not bashing every depressed person on the planet, only those who I can confirm have no reason to be depressed.

Besides, "genetic depression" isn't a condemning condition, it's only a swayed disposition. You can always choose how to react to any given scenario, no matter how the doctors say you ought to act.

Have I experiences anything similar on the 'Book?
Let's get a shortlist of statuses that are depressing/annoying just from today.

-Takashi N- "Why is a woman so addictive?"
-Nick B- "Feels shitty"
-Evan B- "The strongest man in the world is he who stands alone."
-Brendan V- "Brendan V-/I'm unforgettable/Daisy dukes/Bikinis on top/Sunkissed skin/So hot/Will melt your popsicle/Ohh oh ohhh"
-Chelsea W- "irobot: nothing like a black man saving the world :)"
-Mika M- "will hopefully never regret anything"
-Alissa M- "365 days (heart graphic) i love you Jordan A- =)"
-Nick B- "My life is officially ruined :(" (Yes, same as the Nick B- near the top. He's only going into Junior year, so... yeah.)
-Sogol G- "I GOT A MAC!!!:)" (Sent from Facebook for BlackBerry)
-Taylor H- "Why do I end up alone at the penn center? Oh yeah. Cause it's pv"
-Chealsea W- "Really bored. Again."
-Erica V- "needs a name for her new itouch (her ipod was named Alfred). Suggestions?"
-Leah H- "did anyone else feel that?" (I will explain in a moment)
-Miles C- "Needs somebody"
-Dylan P- "just read a chapter of Hannity's book, and proceeded to LMAO"

I'm stopping right there to explain why I hate these statuses. The fall into one of categories:
-Whining about love life or life in general
-Stupid song lyrics
-Inane shit no one cares a bit about (the mac and itouch comments)
-Uninformed view on a classic novel (I, Robot sticks out. I don't think the protagonist in the book was a man at all.)
-Whining about boredom
-FUCKING EARTHQUAKES
-Ragging on a topic you don't agree with simply because you oppose it with no consideration

It's really sad. Facebook is a competition of "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME". The ony time I post comments is general questioning (How many laps around the school track is a mile?).

I actually don't have to deal with this very much. Most statuses that my friends write are along the lines of 'I'm content with this part of my life' or 'Going out tomorrow, woo!'

Lazarus Long:
Normal people + Facebook = Drama. Not sure why. It's not exactly anonymous. Maybe it's some kind of competition for attention? No one's going to leave comments making you feel like a special snowflake when your status is "Feelin' fine."

EDIT: Right, you asked a question. I try to avoid social networking, so I have no personal examples. But Openbook is a fun way to kill time.

Normal people = drama

People = drama

I just think that Facebook throws that drama in your face.

I haven't encountered anything beyond the average drama-infested status update. Probably because I make a habit of hiding everyone, minus my closer friends and family, from my News Feed.

It does not matter what I write as my status. Nobody bothers to comment on them anyway except immediate family members. I get the same reaction from "I had pizza today" that I did for "I graduated college". I should purge my friends list soon, because they are not friends of mine.

Yarkaz:

Jroo wuz heer:

Yarkaz:

Or maybe these are people I know quite well who have fine lives, as the OP suggested.
I'll forgive you this once because you don't have a facebook, but generally you only add people you know in real life. I spend hours upon hours a week at some of these people's houses, as they are mostly good friends of mine. I'm not bashing every depressed person on the planet, only those who I can confirm have no reason to be depressed.

Besides, "genetic depression" isn't a condemning condition, it's only a swayed disposition. You can always choose how to react to any given scenario, no matter how the doctors say you ought to act.

oh sorry I reacted to quickly,
I thought that you were calling depressed kids idiots

most of my facebook "Friends" talk about how drunk they were last night, or the football. The rest don't update.

I avoid the pointlessness that is Facebook. Muhahahaha!

there are many facebook equations, such as Facebook+happiness= stupidity or Anger+Facebook= Bitching at everyone you know and love and blaming them for something they didn't do, or everyones favorite Facebook+games=SPAMSPAMSPAMSPAMSPAM-. I really just do it to catch up on the bare minimum. It really has lost all appeal to me.

Nah, most of my friends are family or actual friends, and they're all pretty cheerful. As for me, when I do post it's usually "uhhh....(blank)....Snarf..."

I refuse to use facebook. I try to stay incognito on the internets.

Well my latest status was "INBRED CARAMAC'S UNITE" after a fun night on skype where we all realised that if our relations were real, we would be inbred...

I dunno, most of my friends are pretty happy people so no I haven't seen much stuff like that =P

My friends are silly I guess and post generally either updates that are actual status updates "going on vacation to Florida" or "Got a new job". Or just silly nonsense "no duckies, only drowning".

Most of my Facebook lovemuffins either:

A) Have depressing lyrics after depressing lyrics playing over in their status', or
B) Actually update their status' with things that are actually going on in their lives, usually charming crap, such as "in bed, watching Mean Girls with the sister and a pot noodle :-)". It's heart warming.

Or they leave ambigious status', mostly "That bitch needs a slapping" or "get out my life, you skank", or even the gem "him <3". Most peple I actually spend time with in real life haven't even understood the term "drama" and leave the usual bland attempts at humour for their status'; or something randomly related to a conversation I once had with them.

If I wanted to bitch at someone, I'd do so in person. If I wanted a rant, I'd text someone, or hump Twitter for that day, or perhaps... ring someone! Not as if anyone actually cares, aside from the family/the BF.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked