The Most Depressing Book You've Ever Read

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sorry if this has already been done (I did searchbar, but the most recent relevant thread was from 2008, and I didn't want to resurrect a long-dead thread.

Regardless, what is the most depressing book you've ever read?

For me, it has to be 1984 by George Orwell. It takes the proud place of the only book to ever nearly reduce me to tears with its' ending. It really leaves you feeling that there is no hope for the world.

Once again, sorry if its' been done before but I'm on a laptop that can't play games and incredibly bored so I felt like making a thread.

Oh, and please keep the "HUR HUR I'M SO EDGY" pseudo-cynical responses about books you don't like to a minimum, thanks.

A child called "It".

The Bible.

Someone had to say it.

Ekit:
A child called "It".

I've read that. Was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly what happened. I remember the jist of it though.

Twilight...
Yeah I read it.

City Of The Dead, By Brian Keene.

Indeed, All his books are depressing, but holy Crap, From the second half onwards, you know there ain't hope. but the characters still have hope, and end up suffering for it. And I do mean suffering.

Catch-22. I know that plenty of it is hilarious, but there's just so much sadness in it. Definately one of the most affecting books I've ever read.

The Wish List by Eoin Colfer.

It's really not that emotional, but I must have been about 10 at the time, and it made me cry...

"The Road" - Cormac McCarthy. The story of man and his son's trek towards the coast in post-apocalyptic America. Absolutely grueling.

Liberaliter:
The Bible.

Someone had to say it.

Really? I thought it was just boring.

cell by stephen king and animal farm, very good but increadibley sad

Easily "All quiet on the western front". Pictures the madness, chaos and horror of war perfectly. No wonder Hitler made such an attempt to burn every copy during his reign.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevski.
That book is the most depressing, angst-filled thing I've ever seen.

Animal Farm. I liked Boxers spirit, then Napoleon sent him off to the glue factory.
1984 was depressive too. Actually... anything Ive read by George Orwell is sad and I love all of it.

The Stranger by Albert Camus.

Hands down for me was The Old Man and the Sea.

After that I'd say 1984.

Probably "The Fifth Child".

Tuesdays with morrie by Mitch Albom

Snuggle:
"The Road" - Cormac McCarthy. The story of man and his son's trek towards the coast in post-apocalyptic America. Absolutely grueling.

this book was so incredibly sad and depressing, it had a good ending though.

My mother is adamant that the most depressing book in existence is 'The Giving Tree'. I'm inclined to agree.

A Complicated Kindness

Agh that book was difficult.

The Good Earth

Probably the eyes of the King, but it got boring with its mopiness so the effect was kind of lost.

I'm drawn to this sort of literature, and I can't think of a more terrifying book than 1984. Probably because it's not specific to any traditionally harrowing experiences (war, imprisonment, abuse, or the like). Rather, it's a study in the thorough dehumanization of the entire population at the hands of government gone horribly awry, and it's made all the more effectively horrible when careful observation betrays so many slight but meaningful similarities to forces at work in the world today. That destruction of our species, on such a fundamental level, is what makes it 1984 uniquely distressing.

Also, it's hard for me to become too depressed reading really well-written or cathartic stories. 1984 is semi-unique in that the language is highly (and intentionally) stilted by its own destruction, and the ending is essentially the final death of free will for all mankind. There's no inspirational prose here, and there's no silver lining either.

"The Stranger" by Camus is up there as is "The Road" but since they've both been mentioned I'm gonna go with Conrad's "Heart of Darkness"

I mean it's called "Heart of Darkness" after all

Brave New World

It's kind of similar to 1984, but focuses more on a breakdown of morality and a reliance on artificial "happiness."

The Giver.

MurderousToaster:

Regardless, what is the most depressing book you've ever read?

For me, it has to be 1984 by George Orwell. It takes the proud place of the only book to ever nearly reduce me to tears with its' ending. It really leaves you feeling that there is no hope for the world.

Let's keep you feeling fresh with it.

Imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever.

Forever.

Boot. Face. For ever. It will never stop. Face. Boot. Stamp stamp stamp.

What fun eh?

I'd probably agree with you on this one. Quite depressing, but not as depressing as the ending of that book on Political Ideologies I read... bibliographies do that to a guy.

The Lovely Bones. I hated that book 'cause it made me so sad. I finished reading it, went to my Dad and told him I hated it, because it was so good.

...To kill a mockingbird.

EDIT: Tears of a tiger, oh god Tears of a tiger.

It begins a day after a teens kills his best friend in a DDI and it goes all down hill from there.

Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon:
Twilight...
Yeah I read it.

I LOVE TWILIGHT <3

OT: umm..do fanfictions count? Because I read a couple that brought me to tears >.>

a book i have from H.P lovecraft and its the only book i stoped reading because i got so depressed

1984 by George Orwell as well. I was just so depressed how you could easily apply it to today's society, at least in England. It felt less of a fictional depression which can be dealt with by just doing something else, it seemed a bit too real for my mind to just shake and leave it be.

Although The Green Mile by Stephen King still remains the only book I cried at.

I'd have to agree with 1984:

JayDub147:
Brave New World

It's kind of similar to 1984, but focuses more on a breakdown of morality and a reliance on artificial "happiness."

Debatable. Apart from the fact that it's supposed to be dystopic fiction, I don't think they have much in common. In fact, I'd say that they're at opposite ends of the dystopia scale. 1984 is about a regime that is soul-crushingly evil to the point that suspension of disbelief is strained, and maintains its grip on the populace through the traditional methods of deprivation and fear. Brave New World is about a much nicer place where the population is pacified by means of trivial amusements and bred to be vapid and docile, but content. To illustrate: in Oceania, if you disobey the rules the best you can hope for is torture, brainwashing and death. In the World State, the worst our heroes are threatened with is being sent to Iceland. I know where I'd rather live. The fact that Brave New World's dystopia is less obviously evil makes it much more interesting. That said, I felt Huxley missed the mark a bit when he was building his dystopia - I don't consider it that bad. It's certainly better than the world we have now. John the Savage was certainly intended to be the hero, but to me he just came across as a close-minded idiot.

anything by edgar allen poe

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked