What does on-call hours mean in terms of employment?

The position I've applied at Macy's is on-call. If hired, I'd just be per-diem, meaning as needed. He also said the hours will be twice a week. Does that mean I won't be scheduled any hours but he'll just call me in twice a week? Thanks.

Pretty much. On-call means they'll call you if you're needed during those days. It also means that you're the unlucky shmuck that doesn't get to work unless everything is busy. Unless you're going to be working commission, then you'll get good money on those days.

It's a big store. If they're hiring someone specifically to be on-call it's probably because they need someone on-call. I wouldn't worry about having too much down-time.

Blueruler182:
Pretty much. On-call means they'll call you if you're needed during those days. It also means that you're the unlucky shmuck that doesn't get to work unless everything is busy. Unless you're going to be working commission, then you'll get good money on those days.

It's a big store. If they're hiring someone specifically to be on-call it's probably because they need someone on-call. I wouldn't worry about having too much down-time.

I'll have shitload of downtime. He said twice a week lol. I was just trying to figure out the whole definition. All these business jargons :(

jane_eyre22:

Blueruler182:

I'll have shitload of downtime. He said twice a week lol. I was just trying to figure out the whole definition. All these business jargons :(

Pretty much what he said.It also means you're not guaranteed any minimum hours at all, but if they hired someone to be on-call it's usually needed.You'll probably be asked to do all the shifts no one wants to do either (nights/weekends/holidays)

It also sucks a little since you can't really plan things, they can call you within an hour's notice to work instead of scheduling you in advance.

Two days a week, hopefully they told you which days, simply be available to come in and work if they need the help. That means on those days, don't plan to leave town or be otherwise unavailable, but there's no guarantee you'll work on those days, either.

It's probably a defined set of hours that they can call you to come in to work if they are busy and need some help.

It depends on your country, but it should be in your contract. What country are you from? Depending on that, there might be a collective employment contract or something similar.

Mekado:

jane_eyre22:

Blueruler182:

Pretty much what he said.It also means you're not guaranteed any minimum hours at all, but if they hired someone to be on-call it's usually needed.You'll probably be asked to do all the shifts no one wants to do either (nights/weekends/holidays)

It also sucks a little since you can't really plan things, they can call you within an hour's notice to work instead of scheduling you in advance.

Yeah. And if I stay in that position, I'll be like permanently on call. McD's was a better deal. It's just too fuckin bad I quit. I'm very near exhausting applying at all places in town that I'm interested in (like 40+.) I also feel like damaged goods bc I been through 7 interviews in 2 months w/o an offer.

jane_eyre22:

Mekado:

jane_eyre22:

Blueruler182:

Yeah. And if I stay in that position, I'll be like permanently on call. McD's was a better deal. It's just too fuckin bad I quit. I'm very near exhausting applying at all places in town that I'm interested in (like 40+.) I also feel like damaged goods bc I been through 7 interviews in 2 months w/o an offer.

Well, these positions are the proverbial "foot in the door" , if you're lucky enough so that a permanent position opens up, they'll be much more likely to give it to you than a brand new employee, unless it surpasses your abilities by a lot, businesses are much less forgiving about qualification for employees.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked