is southern American the most hated accent?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

so after some of you, so colorfully, said that America wasn't the first to produce 2 accents, but that got em thinking, is the southern one the most hated? personally, i like it.

imagine this in normal American accent. it would sound like a guy giving a review, but with the accent he sounds ignorant. if you believe that, your fucking stupid.

Probably. Just look at Scooter (You know who I'm talking about.)
Well, that and it is kinda associated with ignorance...

Worst accents:
1. French
2. Southern US
3. New Zealand

Soulgaunt:
Probably. Just look at Scooter (You know who I'm talking about.)
Well, that and it is kinda associated with ignorance...

Damn, you beat me.

I personally find the southern drawl to be somewhat amusing. Now Sarah Palin's accent. That I find annoying.

As someone from the Southern U.S.- I hate the southern accent. It annoys me.

Even in the US (most of the north and many parts of the south) the southern US accent is looked on as stupid. Any time a character in a video game is to be portrayed as the stupid guy they give him a heavy southern accent and slap a cowboy hat on. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any movie or video game that didn't take place in the south where the guy with the accent wasn't a jibbering moron there for comic relief, being a villain, or just plain being a jackoff. Hell, I have a southern accent and I think it sounds stupid.

So, off the top of my head with no research done whatsoever and a few extremely broad generalizations, I'd have to say yes.

I hate it so much... It does lead to some funny things though, like once when my school was in Missouri, someone thought we spoke in British accents because we came from Illinois.

No, I find it friendly and inviting, but that may have something to do with the fact that I've lived in Central Florida all my life. Sort of a hub for most of the southeastern region of the US.

Yes.
I think its mostly because most people find it annoying.
And the "Stupid Southern Cowboy Hulk" is one of the easiest stereotypes to recognize.

Im used to it because i live in the Southern US and have that southern Accent.
:)

I ever tell you about the time my buddy Keith...

OT: It's not the accent, it's the person. I never much cared for the southern American accent until I heard Ellis is L4D2. Now I mostly find it endearing.

it's very annoying, like 90% of the time it's like nails on a chalkboard 9% of the time it's tolerable 1% of the time it's good.

Hollock:
it's very annoying, like 90% of the time it's like nails on a chalkboard 9% of the time it's tolerable 1% of the time it's good.

i imagine that 1% is ellis.

Canid117:
I personally find the southern drawl to be somewhat amusing. Now Sarah Palin's accent. That I find annoying.

As a Texan, she makes me very happy to not be Alaskan.

It's not the sound, it's the words.

nope i hate it so much Paula dean makes me want to stick red hot pokers in her eyes!

There's a difference between southern and yokel.

Canid117:

You betcha!

Half of my family would kill me if I said I hated a southern accent. Sometimes a drawl is sexy, too. As long as its not that hickish 'Yeehaw!' yokel accent.

Yer dern tootin'!

Hell no we have the best accents

.... if it was a game I'd heard of that I would definitely know maybe I'd understand more of what he's getting across but seriously? "Southern accent" Fucking hell.

And south american accent is you know... brazil or something. Do you mean the Southern US? Not only do you lump a bunch of accents and include them with this oen accent you found, but you don't know how to get the right information across to people reading your stuff. Funny.
I bet there's otehr accents iwould hate more, but this one you found is pretty bad but I don' tunderstand almost every language on the planet so can't listen to people talk and compare their accents all over the world and decide on what I hate and what I don't.

It depends on the type of Southern accent. Some can be really charming (Jimmy Carter), others aren't so much (NASCAR fans).

The problem with the Southern accent was identified by Jeff Foxworthy. It's not the most intelligent-sounding accent because they can't keep the most ignorant amongst them off the television. He said that when a tornado goes through, they never interview a doctor or a lawyer. No, they always get that woman with the mu-mu and the sponge rollers.

"It was PANdelerium! I thought we'd be killed or even worse! I looked out the window to see the Jenkins' house go right over our roof! All I could think was 'Carolyn still has my casserole dish.'"

And, seriously, do you want to hear your brain surgeon saying, "Aaright, now what we gonna do is... SAW the top of yer head off... root around in there with a stick and see if can't find that dag-burned clot." You'll be like, "No thanks. I'll just DIE, OK?"

Southern financial advisors have the same problem.

"Now, the key is, you've GOT to diversify with yer money. What we'll do, we'll take HALF of it, put it in a BIG mayonnaise jar and bury it out in yer backyard. The other half, we take down to the dog track and bet on the one that does his business just before the race starts."

riotwraith:
Even in the US (most of the north and many parts of the south) the southern US accent is looked on as stupid. Any time a character in a video game is to be portrayed as the stupid guy they give him a heavy southern accent and slap a cowboy hat on. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any movie or video game that didn't take place in the south where the guy with the accent wasn't a jibbering moron there for comic relief, being a villain, or just plain being a jackoff. Hell, I have a southern accent and I think it sounds stupid.

So, off the top of my head with no research done whatsoever and a few extremely broad generalizations, I'd have to say yes.

Not always. But, then again, they are Texans which makes them superior different.

Its like nails on a chalk board for me. And I LIVE in the south.

D Bones:

3. New Zealand

What's wrong with New Zealand accents? I kinda like them.

OT, I live in the fucking south and I hate them so much.

I thank every deity I never believed in that I don't have a southern accent.

Damn, it makes everything that guy said sound like he's just a few IQ points shy from being considered special.

Yeah, I can't say that accent's easy on the ears. Southern accents really only work for either commedy or for racists. Hearing one in a serious discussion just sounds kinda off.

Boston is the most irritating accent ever. Scout???

Makes me cringe, they dont even pronounce some words properly.

Ive actually done a halfway decent impersonation just by butchering my speech.

Sorry if this seems hostile, but i seriously cannot stand that accent.

It doesn't bother me that much, the only language that makes me cringe is french, I don't know why.

The Amazing Tea Alligator:
Boston is the most irritating accent ever. Scout???

T'day 'aint ya day pancakes.

I find the South African accent the most annoying. Cuts right into me, where the nicest comment seems like a self-indulgent snipe at my character.

Yes. Yes it is. At least to me, don't mean to sound intolerant, but that particular accent literally pains my ears. I blame being force fed bad, uninteresting Westerns when I was a kid >.<

That accent kind of makes me smile tbf

D Bones:
Worst accents:
1. French
2. Southern US
3. New Zealand

Nu Zullund bru.

I like the southern us accent but only in certain types of people. You understand the concept of a 'good ol' boy' don't you?

"Southern" accent is like saying "English" accent. There's no such thing, because all of us down here sound entirely different. People in south Georgia sound entirely different from people in northwest Georgia, who sound different from people in northeast Georgia.

Southerners are pretty odd, though. Most folks can tell we're southern, but we can tell where in the south somewhere else is from because of the way they speak.

Personally, I lack an accent. It's very neutral- the southern upbringing only comes out if I get upset or excited.

Listen to a Southern Baptist Preacher speak some time if you want to hear amusing.

stinkychops:
I find the South African accent the most annoying. Cuts right into me, where the nicest comment seems like a self-indulgent snipe at my character.

Really? I find the South African accent to be kind of attractive in a weird sort of way.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked