Men who own cats.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Okay, so a few weeks ago I was chatting with some friends at work and the topic of pets came up. Everyone talked about their dogs or lack of pets, and then my turn came up - I told them I had a cat, and the mocking commenced.

A few days later, I heard some girls at the pub talking about these guys they dated, and they laughed over one example of a guy with a cat, both agreeing that it was weird for a guy to have one. "He's faggot," I believe they said specifically.

Later again, I was talking to this girl at another pub, and told her I had a cat - she also told me that it was kinda weird for a dude to own a cat, but "at least it's not, like, a ferret or rat or something like that."

So here's my question to you, Escapees - is it really that weird for a guy to own a cat? Tell me your gender and whether you think it's weird or not. If you think it is, why?

Male. No it isn't weird. Some people just prefer a lower maintenance pet. Some of those people are guys. That being said I wouldn't date a guy who owned a cat.

As a male yes it's weird, but weird is an oft misused word. Anything that isn't the norm is technically weird.

I prefer cats myself.

Male. My kitty is asleep on my knee right now. No its not wierd, I really cant see why people would see it as so. Ive always had cats around the home growing up, and when I moved out I got one for company, they are relativly clean and unassuming, very loving, pretty quiet and small. While dogs are great and everything, I think cats are better company, but thats just because they suit my personality better.

Male. No, I have two cats right now, brothers, they're so much less matanice, Just put some food down, and poop scoop the littler box once and a while. No walks, no crap in my back yard, no neigbours yelling at me becuase of my dog barking.

I like cats, and my opinion, is who ever jugdes someone on their animal prefreance, is a retard

I'm male and I've never heard of it being weird. I used to have cats and nobody ever thought it was weird. I could imagine people thinking a rat is weird but cats aren't.

Female. I think it's pretty normal to have a cat as a pet, regardless of your gender. I can see why some people would consider it weird though; I guess typically you'd expect men to own dogs instead of cats.

Nerdfury:
"He's faggot,"

next time you hear that you should say they should grow more than one braincell and learn proper English before mocking someone. grammar nazi comebacks are the -best-.

crudus:
Male. No it isn't weird. Some people just prefer a lower maintenance pet. Some of those people are guys. That being said I wouldn't date a guy who owned a cat.

Eh why not, I'm mostly just wondering because I hate cats.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with owning a cat if you like them, but then again I would wonder why he just doesn't own a dog instead?

When I get a place of my own, I plan on owing an aged thin cat with a superiority complex. Love those cats. Speaking as a male, it's a tad feminine but it's nothing too weird.

Male, even though I'd like to own a cat, I'd rather a dog instead (but they shit everywhere), I have a friend that owns a cat, he's an 31 year old guy, and is highly mocked by others.

I'm sorry, what?

How on earth does owning a cat when you're male make you weird?

Urgh. Seriously, don't bother with them. They're the same pedantic morons who think that having a piercing in your right ear and not your left is gay. (or is it the other way around?)

I don't see what's weird about it in the slightest. I don't own a cat myself, my family does, but I can't see what makes it weird at all.

In fact, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say that it's weird.

Oh yeah, and male.

Cody211282:

crudus:

Eh why not, I'm mostly just wondering because I hate cats.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with owning a cat if you like them, but then again I would wonder why he just doesn't own a dog instead?

Maybe someone wants a pet but they are allergic to dogs. Maybe they are scared of dogs. Maybe because where they live cats are allowed but not dogs. Dogs are illegal. The person prefers to eat dogs rather than own them. There is a huge list of reasons why someone would own a cat rather than a dog.

(p.s. its because I'm not gay)

KarumaK:
As a male yes it's weird, but weird is an oft misused word. Anything that isn't the norm is technically weird.

Seconded. No one person is the same anyway. So why should they give a shit whether or not you own a cat? I reckon it's because they are a pack of douches :P

(Off topic note to all: the tounge was my way of saying its a joke. The reason for this note it because it seems like some people can't tell jokes from seriousness. Guess it would be a hard thing to do over text but c'mon, enough is enough)

I'm Male, I have 2 cats. Dogs are too much work, and with a cat, it's always so easy. Just fill up their bowl and fuss them when they come up to you and they look after themselves! Easy as pie, and then you always have a friend who wants attention.

Calumon: I need food and Jack to keep on playing! ^^

I honestly don't see what's so wierd about a guy having a pet cat...heck i'm considering getting one when i move out, so i'm a little unnerved to hear that guy's owning cats is "wierd."

Is this all because cats are seen as feminine animals and therefore only women can own them? I'll be surveying my friends when i see them and ask them if guy owning cats is wierd.

I dunno, I guess it's because they aren't really seen as 'manly'. It's the same as having a pet chihuahua, not very 'manly'. I wouldn't go so far as to call some one a 'faggot' over it as the OP claimed some girls he overheard did.

Female. Every boyfriend I've had has either loved cats or owned one (either currently or at some point). My first boyfriend used to spend hours with my black cat on his lap watching TV. It's not weird to love cats at all. 'Least, I don't think so.

I don't think it's weird. I'm a man and I have two cats. I just prefer them over dogs. All of the dogs I've met were just messy, smelly, noisy things that I would just get annoyed by if they were around me all the time.

The most annoyance I get from my cats is when they chase moths or when one of them taps me on the leg for attention and then jumps up and starts licking my arms.

I think most of you have seen Artemis, my pet cat.

But thank your stars that some people do think it's weird for a man to own a cat. Because then you can avoid those shallow people who say that without having to speak to them.

When I move for myself, I plan to have a cat. Always had cats growing up, it's like culture for me now. Plus, cats are awesome. And anyone who says it's gay for a man to own a cat can go have sexual intercourse with themselves. Because it is not.

Male. Good enough for Kinky Friedman, Mohammed, Winston Churchill, William S. Boroughs, Samuel Clemens, and Abraham Lincoln, good enough for me.

Oh and Ernst Stavro Blofeld.

Female. I think anyone can have any damn pet they want. I love cats, so if I met a guy that had a pet cat, I'd be rather happy. I love cats ;~; I wish I still had one ;~;
I think it would be rather cool for a guy to have a pet ferret... only problem is that they bite...

Ultratwinkie:

Nerdfury:
"He's faggot,"

next time you hear that you should say they should grow more than one braincell and learn proper English before mocking someone. grammar nazi comebacks are the -best-.

As I am learning to become a professional, paid grammar nazi (A.K.A. Proofreader), I think he should have slapped them for being idiots. But yes, I agree with you on that.

Well, I'm a guy, and I have a cat and a dog. Well, they're actually the family pets and live in the family home, not with me personally. But adding to that, if I could afford to get one and look after it (food, cat litter, etc.) and my flat didn't have a no pets policy (I'm renting when at university), then I'd definitely get a cat. I have several friends who all love cats, and I love them too. So yeah, I don't think it's weird for a guy to own a cat. Those people you overheard are just narrow-minded fools and aren't worth listening to. Anyone who judges you based on the pet you have is an idiot. Unless said pet is something like a bear or a mountain lion. That would be weird, but only because you're then quite likely to be a super-villain...

No, it is not weird for a man to own a cat. When I finally move out of my parents house and get my own apartment I intend to get a cat for a pet. I dislike dogs a great deal and like cats better. If that makes me weird than fine, I am weird.

I'm a guy, and I have a parrot. My sister is allergic to cats, so no.

But I don't think it's weird, and I had no idea it was frowned upon.

I own a cat and my Girlfriend loves it. In fact all of my male friends who own pets have a cat as well. Cats are cool dammit! And so are Bow-ties! And Fez's!

I have never heard of cats not being the kind of pets a man would own, ever. If anything it should be the dogs which are weird? Since they require training and attention all the damn time, whereas a cat's just feed it occasionally and then go do your own thing. What a bizarre stigma. :S

What country are you from? Either I live in a weird area or this just isn't a thing in the UK...

Male. And no its not wierd i love cats myself and would love to own one.

I have 6 of them 2 burmese, 2 siamese a persian and a tabby I got from a shelter..I love all animals, and like you I cop a mocking from my dog loving friends but there is something definitely special about cats taht only people who have spent alot of time with them will see.

They aren't as forthright as dogs and for this reason I believe men are more inclined to like dogs more. The dog will give the owner constant praise no matter how much respect (or lack of) the owner gives but a cat is much more complex and you have to earn the respect of a cat. Alot of people are put off by this but this is what I love about cats. There are also massive differences between the personality of cats and dogs within the breed. What I mean by this is, that say you buy a Jack Russel you generally know the personality will be the same for the vast majority of that breed of dog, whereas with cats no two are the same in lots of ways.

Anyways tell ya mates next time they are cleaning up their dog's shit and trying to bath them to come and see how much the cat has learn't to take on these roles for themselves..They would never trust a person with their personal hygiene. To a cat we are dirty because they never see us 'cleaning' ourselves..This is why some cats will actually lick your hand when you pat them because to them it makes it clean.

I don't see any reason for you to even take any notice of these people. If you want a cat as a pet, have a cat as a pet. I don't think it's wrong or wierd in the slightest.

I prefer dogs to cats, as I grew up with them and at present we have an 11 week old puppy. Sure, it messes up the place during training, but I'd gladly have a dog than a cat any day of the week.

Nope, not weird. Dan Luvisi has a cat. You know, that CRAZY AWESOME artist? Google his name, go to his homepage.

That's right. A guy that awesome has a cat. How can it possibly be weird then?

Really, that's a bad thing for guys now? I think girls here (Denmark, probably Scandinavia in general) would see it as a good thing. Softer men (not wimps of course, a bit of both) are quite popular actually.

I'm a soft guy myself, with a girlfriend, and we've both had cats and dogs before, now we just have dogs. Works for me. :)

I ****ING LOVE CATS! WTF WHO WOULD SEE THEM AS GAY /rage

No srsly how are cats not manly. They spend their days sleeping, killing, cuddling, mutilating and staring condescendingly at things.

Here's my impression of a dog "omg where is my master!? AROOOOOOOOOOOOOO" the whiny little basterds can't live without receiving periodic buttlove from whoever they perceive as their "alpha." Whereas cats could care less if you died, they'll just eat you and move on.

Captain Pooptits:
I ****ING LOVE CATS! WTF WHO WOULD SEE THEM AS GAY /rage

No srsly how are cats not manly. They spend their days sleeping, killing, cuddling, mutilating and staring condescendingly at things.

Here's my impression of a dog "omg where is my master!? AROOOOOOOOOOOOOO" the whiny little basterds can't live without receiving periodic buttlove from whoever they perceive as their "alpha." Whereas cats could care less if you died, they'll just eat you and move on.

Hahaha quoted for excellence!! Well said and thats exactly how I see dogs too, even though I also love dogs, just not as much as cats.

Its funny one of my cats is actually "staring at me condescendingly" right now

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked