Escapist Member's Community Thread Mk.II(Feedback is Appreciated)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The Escapist Members Community Thread

As a continuation from the original Escapist Members Community Thread

To achieve this, I'm going to need community input into what threads they think deserve to be one here, what threads have meant a lot to the members of this community and should be linked using this thread as a hub.

The following threads have been grouped under headings for clarity,

Community Threads

A random person's The collective anime recommendation thread Your one-stop thread for new Anime.

Atvomat_Nikonov's Pimp My Gun Image Thread Over 100,000 views and plenty of crazy guns.

Baby Tea's Listener Mail with Frankie the Cab-driver Our own Red Guard's radio skit, always funny and worth a listen

BonsaiK's, Relationship Problem Thread A thread which helps members with any problems they might be having with dating or relationships in general.

BonsaiK's 'Musical Demo Submission thread' An advice thread for those looking for careers in the music industry, from an inside man. Also check out his Curious About the Music Industry Thread to find out more about the workings of the music bizz.

Claymorez's Forum Index:a rather nice guide for beginners on the forum.

Grey Carter's 'Decoy's guide to entertaining writing. The irony is not lost on me.' thread A guide on how to make your reviews both informative to the reader and entertaining to read at the same time. They said that it couldn't be done, but he found a way.

Diagonal Horizontality's 'A User's Guide to User Groups' thread A guide to the ins and outs of user groups

Daye.04's 'The Table of Language' Thread A language thread which allows members to learn other languages of the world and to teach others.

Freebird.'s 'The Escapist's Friend and Family Help Thread' An advice thread for anyone with family issues they want to talk about privately or publicly to a variaty of users. For more information, check out the user group.

Hero-of-Legend's 'The Escapist User Made Content' Thread A thread for posting user made levels and similar, such as ones for LBP.

Horticulture's 'PC Hardware' Thread A thread for the discussion of PC hardware and a place to get advice

Insanum's 'Welcome to the Escapist!' thread A fun video summary of both guidelines and general points on how to be a positive contributor to the community.

Inverse Skies's'The Escapist Jam Session Thread'A thread dedicated to allowing users to upload videos of themselves playing music to show off their talents for the community.

Inverse Skies'sThe Escapist Recipe Book Thread A place for members to swap recipes and try something new out in the kitchen.

Ironic Pirate's Guide to Winning Arguments a guide to help you not fly off the handle in an internet argument.

Labyrinth's'The Artist In Thee' Thread For the artistic among us, show off your art and be proud to post it here!

Labyrinth's 'Le Raconteur En Vous' thread A repository for the community's anecdotes.

Lord Cuthberton's 'Behind the Avatar' Thread For showing off pics of yourself to the masses of the Escapist

Lord Krunk's 'The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums' Thread As the mods say: Not the official rules, but it's a damn fine user point of view look and guide to the rules.

Megapenguinx's 'A Guide to the Report Button'A guide to when to use the button to report other members for their behaviour.

NewClassic's 'NewClassic's Writing Theory' Thread A very important guide to writing in general from the Vault Legend himself.

Nomad's 'Hitchhiker's guide to the Escapist' Thread A nice and handy guide to the content on The Escapist for lurkers and users alike who feel lost on this site. Just remember to bring a towel.

Pimppeter 2'sReview Wars To give members a chance to battle each other in writing a review and having it graded.Also look for his Video Game Review Index and his Movie, Book, Anime, Music Index

PurpleRain's How to make a successful thread and win friends' thread. A convenient guide to authoring successful threads.[/quote]

Samurai Goomba's 'Creating an Awesome Thread (hint: It does not involve Halo)' Thread

Together with PurpleRain's above thread, provides an excellent guide to creating a successful thread on the Escapist.

Sassafrass' 'Do's and Don'ts to site quitting':A thread detailing how to make an exit properly.

Scotth266's 'Your Review And You: Welcome to the Review Section!' Thread Like Simulord's Review Advice Thread, this is a handy guide for writing reviews and the review forum in general.

Souplex's Troll Slaying the EZ way a guide for dealing with internet trolls.

Timotei's 'TIEM Magazine Interviews 1 -- Neonbob 'TIEM Version #2: The_Root_Of_All_Evil 3--Portal Maniac A series of interviews with fellow Escapists about their time and experience here.

The Escapists 'Official forum help page'. A handy tool to have around in case you need some help.There are other Forum Markup threads such as this one

The Rockerfly's Music Theory V7 Come see why this amazing thread got over 100,000 views.

Trivun's The Escapist Wallpaper Commision Thread An area to request or show off the design of custom wallpapers to the community.

WanderFreak's 'It Came From Craiglslist' Issue #1 (Kidneys, EMS Equipment, and A Hell of a Lot Of Marbles) A hilarious look at why you should never trust the internet, regardless of how good their exchange rate for marbles may be. Alternatively, check out his fan group for the latest in WanderFreak's offerings.

WhoolPurse's Post a Picture of Yourself A nice place to see pics of older users or a place to post your own pics.

Wilsonscrazybed's'BBcode and you' Thread To learn all about fonts, spoiler boxes, placing images and formatting posts.

Zombie_Fish has resurrected the badge thread in the Badge Gallery Version II: even more badges, keep up with current and discontinued badges here.

Discussion Threads

Jak008's 'The most "oh...shit" Moment in a Game' Thread There are thousands of them, and this thread does have over 100,000 views. What is that moment?

Liamlemon7's 'What Brought You Here?' Thread What did bring you here fellow Escapists? If it was Yahtzee no-one is surprised...

Mookie_Magnus's 'Your First Thread' Thread' Reminisce on what your first ever thread was with joy fellow Escapists.

Neosage's 'Atheist or Theist' Thread A simple question, but one which takes a lot of consideration to answer.

Prahanormal's 'What are you Listening to right now?' Thread Basically you list what you're listening to, can't get much simpler than that fellow members!

Purple Rain's 'Greatest Quotes Ever' Thread A thread whose name says it all, what are the Greatest Quotes Ever?

Ryai458's'Riddle' Thread One for the ages, are you able to solve the riddle?

Simulord's'Escapist Review Advice' Thread An excellent source of information for those members wishing to write an inspiring review. Be sure to check here for pointers first!

The Tygerfire's Anything you're tired of hearing or saying' Thread' Well, what are you sick of hearing? You can say so right here.

Wilsonscrazybed's 'Ask the Internet' Series of Threads Nos, I, II,III, IV,Vand VI Further, endlessly hilarious proof as to why the Escapist is the best forum on the internet...

Xhumed's'The Customer Is Always Wrong' Thread For those of us with amusing stories about working in customer service.

Gaming Clans

Danny Ocean's'The Escapist PC Clan' Thread A clan for members who wish to play PC games against one another.

Dirk Gently's'The Escapist 360 Clan 2' Thread A continuation of Fish Food Carls original 360 clan, for members who wish to play against each other on XBL.

Samuel Cooks'sPS3 Gaming Clan'The Escapist Playstation 3 Clan' Thread[/url] A clan for members of the website who wish to play PS3 against each other.

User Webcomics

Anarchemitis & x434343's'Half Fortress' Thread An amusing webcomic which probes the idea of taking a vacation in Half Life 2.

Jumplion & Fanboy's'Experiment 0009' Thread A user webcomic which looks at the often bizarre lives of stickmen

The Iron Ninja's'Adventures in Ninja Cookery' Thread A fantastic webcomic depicting the Iron Ninja and his crab Gerald, what shenanigans will they get into next?

Role Playing Games

Higurashi's 'Escapist role-playing and you.' Thread A detailed guide to RPs and playing in them. A must-read for every keen RP'er.

Lord Krunk's The Ratings War VI: Aces High, an Original Character Battle Tourament

Lost In The Void's Role PLaying Character Creation Thread A very complete guide for making your own character.

NewClassic's I bet He's Cockney II An ingenious game from one of our very creative users.

Ram Thundar's Avatar Adventure An open RP that has been running for a quite a while.

(DISCONTINUED-ARCHIVED)Zemalac's The Unknown Hailed by many to be one of the best written and developed RP's on the site.

Zemalac's Workshop Thread A thread with plenty of resources for any RPer on the site

Other Information

So please feel free to add suggestions you think should be a part of this community thread, as I'm sure I've missed many examples which would be fantastic to be here.

If possible please also provide a link because the search button can be hard to use at times.

I've also added descriptions of what the thread is next to each one. If anyone would like me to change what that message is, please let me know and I shall do so.

In conjunction with what Wilsonscrazybed said below, if you would like your thread added to the official Escapist Community Map please let one of the moderators know and they might be able to arrange it for you. If not, please bookmark this thread and use that as your browsing point, it's really a matter of personal opinion which one you would like to use.

Necro Thread Suggestions

Thanks to Berethond for this idea.

The lastest suggestion is to introduce a section for the necroing of threads, threads which crop up often (ie favorite movie, what instrument do you play etc) which rather than creating a new repeat thread should just be necroed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tagball's If you were Emperor or Emress of your School

Sexuality threads

Threads concerning your avatar

Since there is an uprising of useful and intriguing groups, there will be its own section for it on the thread.

User Groups

AgDr_ODST's Cristian Escapists group A group for all the theists on the site.

Beefcakes' LIVE Gamers A group for 360 owners to schedule games and find friends on LIVE.

Cleril's Calamity Studios group A group to show off the talents of one of our users

Danny Ocean's group Team Fortress 2 Group-PC A nice group for bringing together players of the popular Valve game.

Fox KITSUNE'S Furrehs group A group for members and fans of the furry nature

GrahamS' Unskippable Fan Group

Kuliani's group The Moderation Team: a group that helps users get in touch with the mods and staff of the site.

Labyrinth's Escape Artists group A group for all the artists on the site.

Lambi's Catgirl Lovers and its twin group owned by Milo Windby, the Catboy Club For fans of neko.

meganmeave's Escapist Friars Club they roast members of the Escapist for our pleasure.

Nivag the Owl's group The Escapist Badge Hunteres:the group to get all the news you need on badges.

Redlin5's group, Miracle of Sound Fans: which celebrates one of our own members and showcases his musical talents(plus he's awesome)

Sharphoe's group The Escapist Gay-mers a group dedicated to members and supporters of the LGBT communtiy.

Shane Hamstra's Apocolypse Lane Fan Group, Unforgotten Realm Fan Group and his Zero Punctuation Fan Group

Sevre90210's group The Spanish Inquisition.....was never expected.

Sleekgiant's group GIMP Help Group: for users to get some real help with the Open Source art program./

Sporky111 and Sleekgiant's Avatar Store:New and Second Hand, a user group providing custom avatars to the masses.

Sharphoe's group S.P.E.C.K.:a group for users to get their own Kerrick

Three Word's The RP Regulars: a group for all the talented writers of the RP section to discuss future RP.

TimeLord's TARDIS Crew A group for those Dr. Who fans

Timotei's TIEM Magazine group A group filled with the talented writers behind TIEM.

Virgil's group The Tech Team:a group dedicated to helping users with technical problems of the site.

Woem's Rebecca Mayes Fan Group

Zeeky Santos' Aussie Escapists A group for all the Escapists down under(cliche'd phrase is cliche'd).

Featured user Groups

The Spanish Inquistion

The Escapist Team Fortress 2 Group - PC

Escapism UK

Stargate Fan Club

PRIATE and Asylum Open Mic, Part One

PRIATE and Asylum Open Mic, Part Two

The Escapist Gay-mers

The Escapist TARDIS Crew

Community Spotlights

Caliostro

Sleekgiant

Furburt

Claymorez

SharPhoe

Cleril

Jack And Calumon

Aylaine

BonsaiK

This Month In Forums

APRIL 2010

MAY 2010

JUNE 2010

JULY 2010

AUGUST 2010

September 2010

October 2010

This is great thread for new and old espcaist. I didn't know we had some of these helpful groups and threads. The Escpaist Badge Thread will be quite helpful and informative

Great job Sleekgiant ;)

Nice work, Sleeky. :D
Nice to see an update to this thread.

A suggestion, maybe add Portal Maniac's TIEM review to the list of TIEM interviews. Just so the whole set is there.

I was wondering when someone would make a new one of these. Very helpful, thanks.

Sassafrass:

A suggestion, maybe add Portal Maniac's TIEM review to the list of TIEM interviews. Just so the whole set is there.

I'd try to find Root and NeonBob's, but they seems to have disappeared into the depths of the forum ocean.

And also why not put the User group as a whole. With our projects we need all the attention we can get, especially 8 Ball. >.>

Wow Nice. This will prove some use in the future... Thank you Sleekgiant.

Did you include this very own thread in your catalogue of threads? Because it deserves to be in there. IMPLOSION!

I vote Necro threading my "What would you do if you were emperor or empress of your school" thread. It's....special to me, seeing as how it was my first thread AND first post. Sadly, it didn't live a very long life.

As the biggest User Made User Group and dare I say the most active 'clan', The Escapist Team Fortress 2 Group should be on the clans or groups section. :)

Very nice, Sleek. I've bookmarked this. Thank you.

Sassafrass:

I'll add that up there with the other TIEM items, thankies.

Frequen-Z:
As the biggest User Made User Group and dare I say the most active 'clan', The Escapist Team Fortress 2 Group should be on the clans or groups section. :)

Thank you for the suggestion, it'll be added.

Tagball:
Did you include this very own thread in your catalogue of threads? Because it deserves to be in there. IMPLOSION!

I vote Necro threading my "What would you do if you were emperor or empress of your school" thread. It's....special to me, seeing as how it was my first thread AND first post. Sadly, it didn't live a very long life.

Bring a linky and I'll add it for you

enzilewulf:
Wow Nice. This will prove some use in the future... Thank you Sleekgiant.

Swollen Goat:
Very nice, Sleek. I've bookmarked this. Thank you.

Pimppeter2:
I was wondering when someone would make a new one of these. Very helpful, thanks.

Glad you all like it, also Pimpy I added your indexes to the list :D

Timotei:

I'd try to find Root and NeonBob's, but they seems to have disappeared into the depths of the forum ocean.

And also why not put the User group as a whole. With our projects we need all the attention we can get, especially 8 Ball. >.>

I have their interviews already so......I'll link your group next :P

Thanks Sleekgiant :D

I'll be adding more groups tonight when I get back but keep up the suggestions :D

Also if someone feels like digging up Member Spotlights, I'll make a section for those as well as group spotlights.

Great work. Nice to see the update.

This was good to see.

I was surprised to see "Behind the Avatar" up there, I'm honoured.

I don't have a link for it handy, but I think Lost in the Void's Guide To GMing deserves to be in there. It's a great thread and is really tough to keep at the top where the new players can see it.

Sleekgiant:
snip

Pssssst can I get my User Group added to the list? For all the many Doctor Who fans out there please xD

Nice to see an updated Community Thread

LordCuthberton:
This was good to see.

I was surprised to see "Behind the Avatar" up there, I'm honoured.

Well of course its up there, quite a significant thread

TimeLord:

Sleekgiant:
snip

Pssssst can I get my User Group added to the list? For all the many Doctor Who fans out there please xD

Nice to see an updated Community Thread

Maybe I already added it >.>

Sporky111:
I don't have a link for it handy, but I think Lost in the Void's Guide To GMing deserves to be in there. It's a great thread and is really tough to keep at the top where the new players can see it.

If he can get me a link I'd be grateful to him

PayJ567:
Great work. Nice to see the update.

Thank you there :D

Good job, Sleek.

Sleekgiant:

I guess over 70 pages isn't bad for Off-Topic thread.

Not enough for that bloody Inferno badge though!

Sleekgiant:

Wait! What? Missed that ^.^ Thanks

LordCuthberton:

Sleekgiant:

I guess over 70 pages isn't bad for Off-Topic thread.

Not enough for that bloody Inferno badge though!

Well just keep having people post pics and you'll get there

TimeLord:

Sleekgiant:

Wait! What? Missed that ^.^ Thanks

X3 Its all good, remember keep up the suggestions.

Great work, Sleek.

This is only a suggestion, but could you put Fox KITSUNE's Furrehs group, my Catgirl Lovers group and Milo Windby's Catboy Club in the User Groups list?

Lambi:
Great work, Sleek.

This is only a suggestion, but could you put Fox KITSUNE's Furrehs group, my Catgirl Lovers group and Milo Windby's Catboy Club in the User Groups list?

Added all of them :D

Sleekgiant:

Lambi:
Great work, Sleek.

Added all of them :D

Yay! :D

Once again, great work.

I has a suggestion!

Add The Organisation to the user group list. Just look into it and you would find out why I think it deserves to be up there.

EDIT: Nevermind.

Sleekgiant:
Bring a linky and I'll add it for you

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.157830-If-you-were-Emperor-or-Empress-of-your-school#3914581

Here you go, my good sir. If all goes well....my thread could be the first officially necro-resurrected thread....and my plan will come to fruition...HAHAHAHAHAHA...yes.

Furburt even makes a reference to Maxthereaper, THAT'S how old it is.

Also, I keep getting you and Sharphoe mixed up. Only because of the avatar.

Mm. While I see you have gone through most of Inverse Skies' previous thread, I feel you have left out some very important and note-worthy threads out. Such as:
For Role Playing:
NewClassic's I Bet He's Cockney II: Rise of the Machines thread. While the last post was in March, yes, it was very note-worthy to the community. The original thread moreso, one might say, but alas, that thread is now long gone.

For Community Thread:
WhoolPurse's Post a Picture of Yourself thread. While it isn't the latest one from LordCuthberton, it is 26 pages of people's pictures... if they're still there... It was one of the biggest and one of the first of said picture threads (not the first, mind, but still one of the first), if I recall correctly, and, as such, worth noting here, I believe.

Edit: However, one must take the time to congratulate you, Sleekgiant for taking over this immense thread. Keep up the good work, threads like these end up eating a lot of your time away... constantly needing updates... But yes. My hat is off to you, good sir.

There needs to be more about the RP section, try and gain a little more interest maybe some new RPers. Perhaps mention such notable RPs as:

Avatar Adventures (the longest running Escapist RP and most wacky): http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.101127-The-Escapist-Avatar-Adventure-An-Open-RP-Now-Re-Opened

The Unknown: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.117578-The-Unknown-A-Game-of-Fear-Ignorance-and-Adventure#2227442

Just to name a couple.

Wow, I had no idea half those threads existed.

It's good when people make this sort of collection of things from the forums. Well done!

I'd like to suggest Labyrinth's 'Le Raconteur En Vous' thread A repository for the community's anecdotes.

Diagonal Horizontality:
I'd like to suggest Labyrinth's 'Le Raconteur En Vous' thread A repository for the community's anecdotes.

I saw that and actually thought of adding that, consider it added. Also glad to see you popped into the thread :3

Empireth:
snip

I will add them for nostalgia sake

Tharwen:

It's good when people make this sort of collection of things from the forums. Well done!

Thank you very much sir :D

Shapsters:
There needs to be more about the RP section, try and gain a little more interest maybe some new RPers. Perhaps mention such notable RPs as:

Avatar Adventures (the longest running Escapist RP and most wacky): http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.101127-The-Escapist-Avatar-Adventure-An-Open-RP-Now-Re-Opened

The Unknown: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.117578-The-Unknown-A-Game-of-Fear-Ignorance-and-Adventure#2227442

Just to name a couple.

If only Surge was still going, also what happened to your Game of Life 2.0 and maybe Atulon's Pass should be added.

Sleekgiant:

Diagonal Horizontality:

I saw that and actually thought of adding that, consider it added. Also glad to see you popped into the thread :3

Empireth:
snip

I will add them for nostalgia sake

Tharwen:

Thank you very much sir :D

Shapsters:

Just to name a couple.

If only Surge was still going, also what happened to your Game of Life 2.0 and maybe Atulon's Pass should be added.

Yes I've heard Surge was quite epic, and Atulon's Pass is certainly a good example of great writing, that Yorg let me tell you!

As for Game of Life 2.0, *sigh* I wish it was still going, but Aqualung disappeared off the face of the earth just when our characters were discovering their love for each other... seeing as how I loved my character so much it depressed me to hang around the thread, so I stopped GMing :/ It went on for a while but without a proper GM it kind of died :( I wish Aqua wouldn't have left!

EDIT- Some of your links/bbcode in the RP section are wrong, just so ya know ;D

Shapsters:

Yes I've heard Surge was quite epic, and Atulon's Pass is certainly a good example of great writing, that Yorg let me tell you!

As for Game of Life 2.0, *sigh* I wish it was still going, but Aqualung disappeared off the face of the earth just when our characters were discovering their love for each other... seeing as how I loved my character so much it depressed me to hang around the thread, so I stopped GMing :/ It went on for a while but without a proper GM it kind of died :( I wish Aqua wouldn't have left!)

Well I have an idea is we'll make an RP archive section for all the old abandoned RPs that were significant

EDIT- Some of your links/bbcode in the RP section are wrong, just so ya know ;D

Thanks for telling me, gets hard to keep up with it all some times :P

Thank you Sleek for adding my RP guide thread. People must note that it has expanded past character creation and now focuses on GMing, RP types, and soon Advanced RP theory if me and Yorg get off our Lazy Butts and type that up

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked