Why so much hatred for Aquaman?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I brought this up in the thread about MovieBob's "Film These Heroes" article, but nobody ever responded to me. I know that back in the 70's the SuperFriends cartoon didn't exactly go a long way towards making Aquaman an impressive character, but over the years he has definitely improved quite a bit under the various writers who have taken the helm of his book. In the past ten to twenty years he has gone through coups of his kingdom, had to face losing his son and wife to (if memory serves) his insane brother, and on multiple occasions becoming the only thing that saves the ENTIRE ocean system of the planet. Then there was that awesome harpoon-hand-thing he had for awhile that was replaced by a hand made of pure elemental magic water stuff, but I digress.

I've always found Aquaman to be an interesting character. No, he's not Batman, Supes, Wonder Woman, or part of the GLC, but he's not the pansy that he's been turned into over multiple episodes of Robot Chicken and Family Guy. So justify to me here, without using any of the over-the-top parody jokes that have been part of pop culture since the 70's, why you hate Aquaman. Hell, tell me why you hate any superhero/villain that doesn't quite get the attention that the majors do. Tell me why you hate Firestorm, Green Arrow, Swamp Thing, Toad, or any of their ilk.

Hopefully, this will lead to a fairly-decent and interesting discourse.

People don't really hate Aquaman.
It's just that the 70s version of him is such an easy and irresistible target.

I just find his premise somewhat silly. He's a superhero that's more or less powerless outside of the sea. There's plenty of overlap into his limited field, but he does almost nothing outside of the water. It'd be like if Superman only had super powers between the hours of 3 a.m. and 4 p.m. While it makes for a nice themed hero, the limitations on his super powers are too great to take him seriously as a superhero. His job could easily be done by any other superhero, yet he's be powerless to stop anything on land.

Cheveyo:
People don't really hate Aquaman.
It's just that the 70s version of him is such an easy and irresistible target.

I disagree.

Maybe it's hard to relate to an underwater world where his powers would actually be useful? I always had a soft spot for Aquaman because others saw him as a reject.

It's hard to care about what happens in the dumb ol' ocean. And everyone hates him for being a rip off of Namor ;)

Most superheroes can function anywhere, anytime. Aquaman is worthless away from water. this is a problem considering msot conflict takes place away from water... see, this could be okay reversed. if he could talk to everything BUT fish it wouldnt be so.........idk linear. Picture lava man who only has powers in lava.... it's just not exciting.

To Dags and everyone that uses the "he's useless out of the water" argument: I can't get behind that point. Yes, he may have some powers that are more useful in the sea than others, but with living on the ocean floor and the pressure that comes from it, he has a relative superstrength that, while there some heroes much more powerful, puts him on a level way above average. And when he had the elemental-hand-thing, he had a vast and nigh-infinite level of power that he could tap into at will.

Aquaman doesn't really do much on land, however, as he is the monarch responsible for everything the waters contain. So, in effect, there really aren't a whole lot of stories that feature him above-ground kicking ass and taking names.

Hollock:
It's hard to care about what happens in the dumb ol' ocean. And everyone hates him for being a rip off of Namor ;)

Not too many folks are fond of Namor, either.

It's not that people hate aquaman, I really don't think that anyone HATES aquaman, he's always just be an incredibly unimpressive character, and no matter what happens, he will still have the same power, he's a guy who talks to fish.

Besides, people don't really care about what goes on in the ocean, it's not really relateable, which is another reason that aquaman is so ripe for parody, because people don't understand what's supposed to make him so impressive, or important in the superhero universe.

Landlubbers are just jealous, of both Aquaman and Nimoy Namor. I don't hate them myself, I don't care much about them either way.

@Octafish Well Aquaman was just one example, but there's tons of comic characters that are fantastically written, but because (insert pop culture "landmark" televison show here) made one joke on the character, they are automatically reviled and relegated to the realm of the same dumb jokes and arguments that everyone's heard a half-million times.

Just once, I'd like to see a reason that has actual reasoning behind it, but I haven't been able to get one.

Because ultimately he is useless when hes not in the water. I mean come on he has to take a swim every hour or else he dies. And he can talk to fish, wow that's so useful if you're on land. Aquaman is a pansy but I don't think that he deserves the flack he gets.

because it's considered cool to hate on him, I on the other hand, don't consider myself a fan, but will admit that he has in place in the DC canon, it just seems wrong to have a justice league without him

I think Jeff Dunham said it best. "He can breathe underwater and talk to fish, he's got the same powers as Spongebob."

MisterMojo:
@Octafish Well Aquaman was just one example, but there's tons of comic characters that are fantastically written, but because (insert pop culture "landmark" televison show here) made one joke on the character, they are automatically reviled and relegated to the realm of the same dumb jokes and arguments that everyone's heard a half-million times.

Just once, I'd like to see a reason that has actual reasoning behind it, but I haven't been able to get one.

You're not going to find one. The 70's joke Aquaman is what people know.
Most people have that image of him in their minds. So they usually have little to no interest in him.
He's changed a lot since then, but you wont find many people who care. All that pops into their minds is the Aquaman whose only abilites are to talk to fish and breath underwater.
Not the one who cut off his own arm to save his kid. Not the Super powered Aquaman and epic hero he is now.
They'll only remember that skinny ken doll looking dude from the 70s who can talk to fish.

It isn't hatred, it's disinterest.

MisterMojo:

That's kind of a ridiculous statement, you claimed that you couldn't "get behind my argument" without actually discrediting it. If he does die without regular ocean contact, I think that limits him further. I mean, what would Aquaman do proactively to stop harm to the sea that was coming from far inland. Sure he could deal with the consequences as they came, but he'd be powerless to stop them on his own.

Compared to other super heroes he seems unimpressive, so people make jokes about him.

I myself have an Aquaman shirt hanging in my closet.

nobody really cares about underwater characters. The two exceptions are

1)the snorks, because stoners think there funny for some reason

2)the little mermaid, because Arieal has a nice rack and spends half the movie in a state of near nakedness which was a big deal for 12 year olds before the days of anime and the internet.

now it works slightly different for mindless underwater creatures because they function just like any other monster in a story they just live in the water.

the ocean makes for a mysterious place to explore but now one really wants hang out with anyone who lives there. so it really doesn't matter what you do to Aquaman or Namor, they'll never have the fan base of the land or space based super heros

@Grim: Great vid, but you're still regurgitating the same tired things that everyone else does.

@The Ultimate: You said "Jeff Dunham," therefore making your point null and void.

@Cheveyo: I know, and I agree with everything you said. Maybe its wrong to hold out hope that people can think for themselves.

@Dags: How is that ridiculous that I want to hear something original? And also, it was never said that the Orin/Arthur Curry Aquaman would die without ocean contact, just grow weaker. In fact, as lifted directly from DC's wiki about his powers:

OK so let me widen this out a bit more: Why other heroes as well? I've seen across the ol' Intertubes plenty of the same vitriol and hatred directed towards Green Arrow, Firestorm, and several other characters. So what "minor league" character do you hate and why?

but must return to the aquatic environment at various intervals; this length can be prolonged by the humidity in the atmosphere.

There doesn't seem to be any ambiguity. Aquaman must return to water at regular intervals, with those intervals more or less arbitrarily decided by the writers. Thanks for clearing that up for me though.

I meant that it was ridiculous to claim that you hadn't heard "Any reasons based on reasoning" when you had just heard my reasoning as to why I think Aquaman's premise is silly and excessively restricting.

Dags90:

I meant that it was ridiculous to claim that you hadn't heard "Any reasons based on reasoning" when you had just heard my reasoning as to why I think Aquaman's premise is silly and excessively restricting.

No, what I heard from you was no variation on the "cool" reasons to hate Aquaman.

Because he makes terrible games!!! and I hated his mullet in it!!!

From what I've seen, it isn't that Aquaman is particularly weak or ineffectual, as pop culture at large likes to joke. It's just that he doesn't really get a lot of positive exposure outside of the comics. Heck, even his Brave and the Bold incarnation is something of a goof, even if he is, by-and-large, the most effective of all TV Aquamans (Aquamen?).

You can't expect people who don't read comics regularly to do the research. What's on TV and in the movies is pretty much fact for them. For this reason, Batman is a badass (he is, but he's flawed), Superman is boring/unrelatable (he isn't), Green Lantern is black (one of them is, but he wasn't the first), the Flash is childish (Barry and Wally aren't, Bart used to be) and Aquaman is useless (far from it).

Sacman:
Because he makes terrible games!!! and I hated his mullet in it!!!

This is what I'm talking about. While it is a lame reason (think of how many horrible games Supes and the Bat were in), at least it is a different one.

Telekinetic power over water is a very underrated superpower. I don't know about aquaman himself.

Space Spoons:
From what I've seen, it isn't that Aquaman is particularly weak or ineffectual, as pop culture at large likes to joke. It's just that he doesn't really get a lot of positive exposure outside of the comics. Heck, even his Brave and the Bold incarnation is something of a goof, even if he is, by-and-large, the most effective of all TV Aquamans (Aquamen?).

You can't expect people who don't read comics regularly to do the research. What's on TV and in the movies is pretty much fact for them. For this reason, Batman is a badass (he is, but he's flawed), Superman is boring/unrelatable (he isn't), Green Lantern is black (one of them is, but he wasn't the first), the Flash is childish (Barry and Wally aren't, Bart used to be) and Aquaman is useless (far from it).

And I can understand all that from people who have casual knowledge of superheroes, however I have heard many comic-book fans repeat these same tired stories that come up in almost every conversation on this subject about why they hate many supercharacters.

Aquaman: he can only talk to fish and his powers are limited to the sea.
Green Arrow: he's another rich pretty boy with a Robin Hood complex.
Martian Manhunter: He's a bitch that's scared of fire.
Toad: He's British.
et. al.

i like aquaman. in fact, he's probably our best bet to fix the deepwater horizon well.

People are just jealous because he can summon CTHULHU! Can Batman summon Cthulhu? Didn't think so.

But, in all seriousness, there are way more creatures in the sea than on land, he has an unstoppable army numbering the trillions. Mabye people just don't like that he is apparently immune to the effects of water pressure, which I don't think is ever explained. (Although I haven't delved into comics for a while now.)

Disinterest

Pretty much this. Who the hell is Aquaman? Why is he relevant? This guy's had little to no media exposure outside of comics. Isn't he just a merman? Someone mentioned Ariel, isn't she essentially what Aquaman is? He just doesn't seem that...intriguing. He's not a bored rich guy with toys, he wasn't bitten by a radioactive spider, he doesn't fly an invisible plane or make himself a mech suit. He talks to fish. That's pretty much it. Woop-de-do.

MisterMojo:

Space Spoons:

And I can understand all that from people who have casual knowledge of superheroes, however I have heard many comic-book fans repeat these same tired stories that come up in almost every conversation on this subject about why they hate many supercharacters.

Aquaman: he can only talk to fish and his powers are limited to the sea.
Green Arrow: he's another rich pretty boy with a Robin Hood complex.
Martian Manhunter: He's a bitch that's scared of fire.
Toad: He's British.

In the case of comic fans, I would guess it's just laziness on their part. They're unfamiliar with the character, so they resort to the same antiquated, flawed arguments instead of simply admitting "I don't know him that much" and reading a couple of trade paperbacks.

It's honestly part of the reason I hope Marvel gets the ball rolling with B-List superhero movies. Ant Man, Luke Cage, Dr. Strange, those sort of characters. It could really open doors for characters who are vastly misunderstood and/or underestimated.

PotatoLord:
Mabye people just don't like that he is apparently immune to the effects of water pressure, which I don't think is ever explained. (Although I haven't delved into comics for a while now.)

That just comes from his mostly-Atlantean physiology. His relative strength also comes from this.

@Space Spoons: I think I no-homo love you.

@Aethren: Way to failtroll.

MisterMojo:
Snip

I have a theory. One problem, he is a king of his kingdom with a nice family and his kids. For most (if not all) of the comic community, there is little to attach to since there is nothing wrong with this guys life. Sure you got the occiasional bad guy, but considering all the other bug boys (Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the X-men) all have something wrong with their lives. Weather it be lack o money, seperation, being considered a freak, having your family dead, or all of the above, there is something human to connect to.

The other big problem is that Aquaman has been two very different characters. The pre-dark age, he was a rather silly hero that called on the dolphins of the world to solve everything. His orange and black suit was not on the Batman side for respectable superhero get up. However, Aquaman was changed in the dark age to be HARDCORE MAN! HE NOW HAS A MULLET, AND DOESN'T WEAR A SHIRT, AND THEY CHOPPED OFF HIS HAND MAN TO PUT ON A Hook... spear... thing.

THAT IS TOTALLY HARDCORE MAN!!!!!!!!!!

This creates a problem since the 90s Kids of the world laugh at how he was while older fans that keep their brains in their skulls after Watchman can't stand how he is now. It is an awkward tipping point the fish man has yet to shake off, and I not sure he ever will.

Of course, his game sucked a big one, but I not sure how much that factors in :P

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here