Writing a two weeks notice

Tomorrow I am going to hand my boss my two weeks notice. I have been accepted to a university and I no longer need to work at Pizza Hut. While my boss is nice and all, my co-workers have been horrible.

How do I write a positive two-weeks notice? I want to stay on good terms with him seeing as he is going to now be a reference for me.

Also, for discussion value,[1] what is your usually two weeks notice format/style?

[1] For people who don't want to help me

I just go up to my boss and tell him that I'm quitting, hell unless they are paying me over $15 an hour why would I wright them anything?

I quit my high school job at Wendy's by writing "I quit" on a napkin and taping it to the office window.

I just quit my grocery store job to go to university. I found the sub-boss and told her I'm leaving because I'm going to university four weeks in advance. I then asked for a reference.

That was it. It's not as hard as you think it will be.

Redlin5:
Tomorrow I am going to hand my boss my two weeks notice. I have been accepted to a university and I no longer need to work at Pizza Hut. While my boss is nice and all, my co-workers have been horrible.

How do I write a positive two-weeks notice? I want to stay on good terms with him seeing as he is going to now be a reference for me.

Also, for discussion value, what is your usually two weeks notice format/style?

Dear Boss (name here)

It's been a pleasure working here. I have learned a lot from being employed here, and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of this work environment. I have been accepted to a college though, sand I must unfortunately put in my 2 weeks notice. Would you be a reference for me in the future? It's been a pleasure, sir/miss.

Sincerely, X.

Hows that? :)

Aylaine:

Redlin5:

Dear Boss (name here)

It's been a pleasure working here. I have learned a lot from being employed here, and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of this work environment. I have been accepted to a college though, sand I must unfortunately put in my 2 weeks notice. Would you be a reference for me in the future? It's been a pleasure, sir/miss.

Sincerely, X.

Thank ye kindly! With some small modifications, I'll adopt it. Now, lets watch this thread sink into oblivion (aka, the basement) together XD

lacktheknack:
I just quit my grocery store job to go to university. I found the sub-boss and told her I'm leaving because I'm going to university four weeks in advance. I then asked for a reference.

That was it. It's not as hard as you think it will be.

Yeah, oddly, ever time I've filed for two weeks, it's been basically the same thing, verbal notification. The idea of actually writing up your notice seems... well... weird to me.

Redlin5:

Aylaine:

Redlin5:

Dear Boss (name here)

Sincerely, X.

Thank ye kindly! With some small modifications, I'll adopt it. Now, lets watch this thread sink into oblivion (aka, the basement) together XD

Ya i'd say the same. Is there a length limit? To you need time, date and location?

TheGoldenMan:

Ya i'd say the same. Is there a length limit? To you need time, date and location?

No length limit although I think more than three paragraphs would be excessive. I think the time, date and location should be included. Do you have a format you've found that works for this?

In my home state, it's not required to give two weeks' notice. But it's polite.

Me, I just told my boss I was leaving in a week. Then I showed up the last day I worked there with cherry-red streaks dyed into my (normally chocolate brown) bangs. One of the managers flipped a bitch, but it was really really funny to hear her ranting at me about how it was 'disrespectful' and 'entirely irresponsible' to do that. Sorry lady, I already quit, and I can hide these under a hat. What are you going to do, fire me before I can leave?

Redlin5:

TheGoldenMan:

No length limit although I think more than three paragraphs would be excessive. I think the time, date and location should be included. Do you have a format you've found that works for this?

No, but i could write a format. I might not be able to with work tomorrow but i might.

TheGoldenMan:

Redlin5:

TheGoldenMan:

No, but i could write a format. I might not be able to with work tomorrow but i might.

*listens to U Smile 800 times slower*

What, oh right, the reply.

Meh, don't worry about it. I'll cook up something on my own along Aylaine's guidelines. I just hope he doesn't try to cut my hours or anything. Then I would have to consult the labour board and our relationship would probably cool if I had to do that.

I'm going to college, so i had to write a two weeks (though mine was a bit earlier then two weeks) becuase i wouldnt be in town anymore. So here's what i wrote:

Dear Management of _________ ((Fill int he blank. Mine was Carmike, so I wrote the theatre name),

I, _________ (name) am stating and verifying that I will be leaving for College on _________(date [day of week, month, then number of date), and that my last day to work will be ___________ (date in the same fashion as first). I have enjoyed and appreciated my time of employment as a/an __________ (what i did, in my case, usher/concession), and thank you for accepting me as part of this company's family.

Then I signed it like this:

_________________________ (company name and most recent position title),

____________(my name in print)

____________ (My name again, signed).

Then again, some places have actual papers and forms yu fill out.

Something along these lines:

"I will be attending Can't Be Bothered To Look Back At the OP and See if which University He Will Be Attending is Specified Tech. I appreciate the time I spent working here, but no longer have time to maintain this job."

Take that general idea, expand it to a couple paragraphs, hand it in.

I have never once given a written notice. I simply explain the situation as diplomatically as I can. Changes in life circumstances happen and people understand that. It isn't as though it's difficult to replace someone at a Pizza Hut after all, so a brief explanation of why you are leaving, your intended final date, a brief thanks for the opportunity is all that you need. I wouldn't even think it would need to be written.

Just talk to your boss during break. That's how I quit lifeguarding to student teach.

Redlin5:

Aylaine:

Redlin5:

Dear Boss (name here)

Sincerely, X.

No problem. If you ever need anything you know you can ask me, right?

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked