30.1% (22)
Slowly they are getting better.
19.2% (14)
19.2% (14)
They are still the same.
13.7% (10)
13.7% (10)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Are the Simpsons getting good again?

We all know that the simpsons hit a really low point a while ago, but I have seen some of there new episodes for...is it sesion 21 now? But there new stuff is cool and funny and I think that they are getting better.

A good episodes was the one where lisa finds a diary from a in the attic. I will not say anymore, but you know the one I'am talking about.

So what do you think, are they getting better?

To be honest I never really stopped laughing I've seen ever episode and laughed at each one. They're all funny and witty in each episode.

I've always enjoyed the Simpsons, though a few episodes here and there are pretty lame. Personally I think the show will either start to get better (Like Season 6-9 Standards again) or it will die and end around the 25th Season (Something I honestly cannot see).

They've passed their prime in my opinion.

We need an option for "They were better before, but it has always been atleast remotely funney"

As someone who's been a fan since the begening yes I think they have come out of there rut and are starting to get better. I think the main reason is that it has to compete with family guy amercian dad and the clevand show on the same night so they had to up there game. Whether or not they can re obtian there former glory of the older epsiodes remains to be seen.

They are getting allot worse.

I don't they are as funny as they used to be but I still think they are quite funny. I think the Treehouse of Horror Halloween specials that they have are the best.

SnootyEnglishman:

They passed their prime 5 years ago.

Really. They have COMPLETELY run out of ideas. 21 Seasons is FAR too much. Matt Groening must be making ideas out of the barrel he got the previous ideas out from.

Honestly...yeah they kind of are. That episode where Bart discovers the old subway station had me in stitches the whole time!

Boyninja616:

SnootyEnglishman:

They passed their prime 5 years ago.

Really. They have COMPLETELY run out of ideas. 21 Seasons is FAR too much. Matt Groening must be making ideas out of the barrel he got the previous ideas out from.

Agreed. The Simpsons always had 2 kinds of jokes zany gags and gags routed in the plot. Now the plot of each episode is completely zany with no grounding in reality or the relationships between the characters which is what always made the shows so great. Now all they have is zany gags, which are sometimes funny but without a decent plot the whole thing begins to feel shallow and inevitably uninteresting (I call this theory "The Family Guy Effect").

I grew out of The Simpsons. And then Family Guy came along.

Ah, I stopped watching as much later on. But the newer ones I watched were actually pretty damn good. Um, an example would be the 24 parody episode. Pretty funny stuff.

Depends, by comparison to what?

To season 10: Yes, definitely, season 10 was the WORST.SEASON.EVER

To seasons 3-9: No

If Al Jean stopped being a showrunner than it would probably be better. Al has ran it since season 10 and before that there was a different runner for every season before that. I don't think Simpsons will ever pick up again.

Skullkid4187:
To be honest I never really stopped laughing I've seen ever episode and laughed at each one. They're all funny and witty in each episode.

I never thought they were that funny, its wit is really just a bit of a pisstake and I find that family guy and southpark do it much better.

I have enjoyed them, but I wouldn't say they have been getting better. After all, I haven't watched any single episode since god knows when...

Getting good? There haven't been new episodes for a few months, right? So the goodness or lack thereof would have already occurred, right?

Or did I miss a bunch of new episodes?

Anyway, the Diary one was meh. I felt it was sub par.

there have been a few great ones in recent series.

these new episodes seem to be average at best, they may be slightly better than the slump that previous series have been stuck in, but they are still poor.

i think Groening should end the Simpsons soon and put all his effort in Futurama, his only good series. it won't happen, since the Simpsons is such a big money spinner that it will remain like this until the day it finally stops making money.

Still not as great as they were, but they're begining to pick up again.

I've always found them funny. I find that the people who dislike their new stuff are just being trendy by going with the flow of hate. They've alway been there, and their material, while not always gut busting, is quite witty. I do admit that some of their episodes miss their marks, and the rare obscure reference does fly over some people's heads. Other than that there is nothing I can really complain about. The Simpsons entertains me, and keeps me laughing.

I'll be honest: no. If you hold the past five to ten years as the example, the steady decline in quality has plateaued. As a diehard Simpsons fan since the very beginning, I will continue to watch my favorite show of over 20 years until I'm dead and gone. Fans will argue over when the Simpsons hit its peak just as much as they'll argue when it jumped the shark and when it hit its lowest point. While I'm very enthralled to hear what you all think of the show, will we ever reach a consensus?

I have seen a few newer good ones here and there, but i also and seen ones that were lame.

this may be off topic, but can someone tell me what was so bad about season 10? Thats one of the only seasons i haven't seen any from.

I've always been a fan of The Simpsons and I still am - there isn't a single episode I haven't seen. In spite of my obvious love for the series, I have to admit that in recent years (heck, for the better part of the last decade) it simply hasn't been up to its old form. That said, there has been a big improvement in the last two seasons, and in the last season especially. It still isn't its old self, but it's getting closer and closer.

I think, among the reasons The Simpsons has been so repeatedly declined in popularity is that its courting of controversy has plateaued. Back in the day, the themes The Simpsons explored were truly controversial for a TV show - these days, those themes aren't controversial in the slightest and The Simpsons hasn't chased any new controversy. This is, of course, simply because (unlike South Park and Family Guy) The Simpsons was never about creating controversy or breaking barriers in the first place, it was just about the stories the writers wanted to tell, and those stories just happened to be unusual for a TV show at the time. Now that they're not, the show has lost at least one aspect of its former allure that it simply hasn't compensated for.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked