I'm pretty morbid. Is that normal?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I want to know if there is a word for people like me. I love dark, melancholy things. I think Edgar Alan Poe is a genius. I have a dark sense of humour and I'm in my element watching The Crow or reading Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comics. However, I'm not goth-I don't adhere to the fashion anyway, but I often feel like I could be swaying towards the mindset. The goth mindset as I have heard it described is someone who finds the beauty in dark or negative things.
So, what does this make me? A goth in all but the look? A regular mainstream guy? Something else? I know it's not good to label one's self, but just humour me if you will.

I'd say just another normal person with a different taste, and that's pretty normal. I don't like dark things myself, but don't mind them sometimes. Though if you REALLY wanted to sound evil, I suppose I could say you're some sort of Renegade. (I'm not very good with terms)

Sounds like a goth in all but look, maybe even a nascent goth. Depends on whether or not you try to find people with a similar mindset to you, start hanging out with them and then adjust your dress sense to help you fit in better or not.

And if you do...we'll find you... *shakes fist*

A regular guy who likes morbid stuff? I dunno.

Hell, I like morbid stuff (though I'm not into all those books and series), but I'm not a goth or anything.

mik hardcore:
I think Edgar Alan Poe is a genius.

Actually, that doesn't mean you're morbid, it means you're cultured.

mik hardcore:
However, I'm not goth-I don't adhere to the fashion anyway, but I often feel like I could be swaying towards the mindset. The goth mindset as I have heard it described is someone who finds the beauty in dark or negative things.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, goth is a state of mind.

mik hardcore:
So, what does this make me? A goth in all but the look? A regular mainstream guy? Something else? I know it's not good to label one's self, but just humour me if you will.

To me, it means you're a guy who would look great wearing nail polish. Which is a compliment in my book.

mik hardcore:
I'm in my element watching The Crow...

You mean you don't read the original comic series by Mike O'Barr? But it's excellent! Even better than the wonderful movie!

As long as you're not out killing people with the express purpose of keeping them in your basement on display, then I think you're fine.

Well, i'd say there's a lot of people like you. And me, incidentally.

The word you're looking for is teenager.

Oh hoho.

But seriously now, you're just suffering from Tim Burton syndrome. It's not a bad thing.

Look. Just remember, killing is not nice. Unless it's against Michael Atkinson. Know that, and you should be fine.

If you aren't a serial killer or have taken the life of another human being, I think it is okay to have a morbid sense of humor. Just remember, no cutting people to see if they bleed!

I am sooooo tired...

Icy Lemon:
But seriously now, you're just suffering from Tim Burton syndrome. It's not a bad thing.

Burtonitis is a very serious issue. A good remedy is to avoid places like Hot Topic altogether. And stay away from Twilight.

All joking aside, on a serious note; we are who we choose to be. Personally I can be a bit morbid and dark myself, and when I utter something relevant to that in the midst of others, it can elicit a regretful response as well as several raised brows. But uh, that's not really the issue here.

We cannot define 'normal' in this day and age, but if you are who you wish to be and you choose to remain as such, then good for you. You may enjoy dark, macabre things, that doesn't mean you're not 'normal'.

That's about all I can offer. Aside from some ramblings about the idiotic confusion between 'goth' and 'emo', but I'll spare you.

FargoDog:
As long as you're not out killing people with the express purpose of keeping them in your basement on display, then I think you're fine.

Why display them in the basement when you can show your family and friends in the living room!

Come one, come all, to the Psychopath Hardware store! We have such items as the Organ Freezer, the Harpsichord (for all you classical madmen out there) and the (Human) Trophy Cabinet! So come on down or the crazies will get you and add YOU to their collection! Drug-induced satisfaction guaranteed!

Jesus I sound like a more polite Mr Nasty from Manhunt.

Uh, anyway, your just a bit gothic. So are a lot of people; all my career choices involve the dead, I like the colour black and I have a rather cruel sense of humour.

What makes this post morbid? I am still waiting for something dark.

This sounds like someone not comfortable with feelings that they think are not bubble happy.

Nothing all that meaningful here, just some guy second guessing himself.

Just ta let ya know tho: When you find beauty in something, you kinda go against all that the term 'morbid' is really meaning.

I just wanted to let ya know that.

It's perfectly normal.
I think I'm quite morbid myself because I always laugh when people get killed in horror movies.
It's not like I'm laughing because it's funny, but because it incites so much joy for some reason.
It's quite spontaneous, I can't explain it.

I don't have a gloomy or sad mindset though, I'm more on the non-emotional type.
Like when my mother woke me up and told me my father had died.
When I saw him lying dead in his bed with his mouth open, I couldn't feel sadness even though I love my father.
Some people call it shock, but I still can't feel such grief/happiness.
I believe that's quite fucked up, but I can't seem to care.

Mackheath:

FargoDog:

Why display them in the basement when you can show your family and friends in the living room!

Come one, come all, to the Psychopath Hardware store! We have such items as the Organ Freezer, the Harpsichord (for all you classical madmen out there) and the (Human) Trophy Cabinet! So come on down or the crazies will get you and add YOU to their collection! Drug-induced satisfaction guaranteed!

You can't have sex with them if their in your family's presence though.

Like whatever you want to like. No need to apply labels like 'a goth in all but the look.' Just because you find beauty in things that 'normal' people don't typically find very beautiful, doesn't mean that they aren't beautiful in themselves. It's just subjective.

And anyhow, you're not alone in this. Edgar Allen Poe is well known because of people like you, who can either appreciate the dark themes that he explores, or can relate to his work, or something like that. Actually what you describe yourself to be seems pretty normal to me. I find it thrilling to read a graphic description of how a murderer posed a body to resemble the charm on her necklace. Now, is that normal?

I find a lot of deep and complex beauty in dark things. I used to make a lot of war art, because I thought it beautiful.

A normal human being, with slightly unusual taste. It shouldn't be expected that you dress in black and act like a fuck because of that.

FargoDog:

Mackheath:

FargoDog:

Who said anything about sex? Some psychopaths just take things to stare admiringly at, or to eat. Few people really want to have sex with a dismembered corpse.

A normal person with an interest and fascination in the darker side of life?

I'm very similar, and oddly enough that makes me quite an optimist. If you can see something bright about the dark side, then your glass will probably always be half-full.

Mackheath:

FargoDog:

Mackheath:

FargoDog:

Who said anything about sex? Some psychopaths just take things to stare admiringly at, or to eat. Few people really want to have sex with a dismembered corpse.

Really? I thought that was the 'in' thing among them at the moment, just after eating the remains?

OP, I think I'm more morbid than you

FargoDog:

Really? I thought that was the 'in' thing among them at the moment, just after eating the remains?

OP, I think I'm more morbid than you

Na. Even your local nutters have standards. Necrophilia is when you can't pull a girl even with alcohol. Do you have that problem? If so, then keep going, just hose the place down after.

It seems you're just like me. But I don't try to put a label on myself... so maybe we're not so alike. Anyway, I wouldn't put a lable on you. Someone else might, but they'd probably be way off.
Just be who you are. :)

EDIT: I understand your question though. And a couple of years ago I wanted to know "what" I was too. But now I just am. plus, if you don't put a lable on yourself you become more mysterious, and chicks dig mysterious. ;)

It's called a teenager.

I'm just going to say it as simple as "You are yourself" you shouldnt think about your image before doing something, just do what feels natural for you and make your own style.

You mean you don't read the original comic series by Mike O'Barr? But it's excellent! Even better than the wonderful movie!

"My kitten walks on velvet feet and makes no sound at all; and in the doorway nightly sits to watch the darkness fall..."
Don't worry, I've read the comic.

No you're not normal.

You just have different tastes to the vast majority of people.

Not necessarily a bad thing though.

I've talked for 20 minutes with a friend about the most gruesome ways to die. So yeah it's normal.

Don't worry, I wouldn't call any of it unhealthy. I myself can identify with most of what you said, I turned out alright... mostly ;-P

Queen Michael:

mik hardcore:
I think Edgar Alan Poe is a genius.

Actually, that doesn't mean you're morbid, it means you're cultured.

Have to agree with the man there.

nah, this is normal. With all due respect you're not into anything particularly unusual.

well goth is not (only) in the cloths.
that's just the people who want to make perfectly clear they don't belong in the crowd.

i guess your goth but one that does not feel the need to sway your lifestyle because of it.
and that's fine.

Yeah normal, go see Dexter.

mik hardcore:
I want to know if there is a word for people like me. I love dark, melancholy things. I think Edgar Alan Poe is a genius. I have a dark sense of humour and I'm in my element watching The Crow or reading Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comics. However, I'm not goth-I don't adhere to the fashion anyway, but I often feel like I could be swaying towards the mindset. The goth mindset as I have heard it described is someone who finds the beauty in dark or negative things.

Teenager?

Though seriously, you're not alone, its just a question of taste.

mik hardcore:
I want to know if there is a word for people like me. I love dark, melancholy things. I think Edgar Alan Poe is a genius. I have a dark sense of humour and I'm in my element watching The Crow or reading Johnny the Homicidal Maniac comics. However, I'm not goth

Wow... I... I thought I was the only one. Really, I wondered this, and hated the thought of admitting it as most people would just call me emo. It's pretty normal though, I found that in college people really don't seem to care as much, and you'll find a lot of people throughout your life that share similar views.

I thought it was common that dark things were cool?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked