Unexpectedly good slow songs from heavy bands

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The other day I came across "Snuff" by Slipknot. I was surprised at how good it was. I wouldnt have thought a band like Slipknot could write and play a song like that. So then I started thinking about other slow songs from heavy bands that I liked eg Carry Me Down by Devil Driver, and Butterfly Coma by Machinemade God.

So escapists, what slow songs do you like from heavy bands
(Note, by "Heavy", I mean whatever bands you feel are heavy)

In before someone else does...

Brilliant. I love everything this band does, especially the entire "Picnic Of Love" album.

First off, I gotta commend you OP for liking Machinemade God. Just recently found out about them and I fucking love 'em.

OT, the slower songs from Devin Townsend, especially off his Ki album.

Nothing Else Matters, Metallica
Soothsayer, Buckethead (sort of)
Stairway to Heaven, Led Zeppelin
Through Glass, Stone Sour (sort of)

BonsaiK:
In before someone else does...

Brilliant. I love everything this band does, especially the entire "Picnic Of Love" album.

Fuck yeah! I was gonna post this.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4pzLJdHddU (you said slow)

Germinate the Reaper Seed by Circle of Dead Children. Good stuff. =D

I'm assuming the video works? 'Cause I can't see them. >_<

Rise Against have a few slow songs, like 'Swing Life Away' and Hero of War'. Ozzy has 'Dreamer' and 'Mama I'm Comin' Home' and Stone Sour have 'Through Glass' and 'Bother'.

Metallica- Unforgiven
Eluvietie- Isara and The Liminal Passage
Elvenking- Skywards
Kamelot- A Sailorman's Hymn
Apocalyptica- Faraway
Wintersun- Death and the Healing
:D

Well, Stairway. When it starts of it sounds like a medieval madrigal, but it gets gradually better and better until it's possibly the best song ever.

Never Too Late by Three Days Grace

Rain by Breaking Benjamin

Well, from a band that usually does this:

I found this
a nice opposite in pace.

metallica - nothing else matters ... apacolyptica ripped it up further with their set of strings ... good stuff.

You said slow, you didn't say soft.

Metallica - nothing else matters

also a personal favourite

Architects - Hollow Crown

its completely different to their other stuff, which is heavy screamo shite which personally i have lost love for nowadays!

Dream Theater - Hollow Years

Opeth - Harvest and almost the whole "Damnation"-album comes to mind.

EDIT: Fix'd the vids.

Julianking93:
First off, I gotta commend you OP for liking Machinemade God. Just recently found out about them and I fucking love 'em.

OT, the slower songs from Devin Townsend, especially off his Ki album.

I think mentioning Devin townsend is cheating, he's way too diverse! :D

For me:

Pacifier by Shihad.

Album version's better produced than the video version. Video version has cool Clockwork Oranginess though.

I can't think of an example because I'm too distracted by how hilarious it is that a band called Anal Cunt has a song called I Respect Your Feelings as a Woman.

Queen Adreena are great for bringing out the quiet tracks. You'll listen to an album of stuff like this:

and then they'll hit you with this:

I always liked the slow version of Vermillion by Slipknot. The first time I heard it was before I was really into the band, so I was utterly shocked by it.

Dear God - Avenged Sevenfold

There is aloooooooooooooooOOOOOOOt of them but the most suprising one to me was:

Cephalic Carnage - G.lobal O.verhaul D.evice

Edit: OOH I almost forgot. Akercocke - Leviathan

There are none, the only good songs like that, simply start out slow and move into total brutality as the song progresses. Or...you're not talking about metal, but more emocore.

I know it's cover but still...

Demon Hunter's best songs are their ballads. That's my best example. Every Kamelot ballad is absolutely gorgeous, but that isn't really unexpected I don't think. Khan just makes things beautiful.

I don't know how heavy many would consider them, but Closure In Moscow's "I'm A Ghost of Twilight" is most of my friends favorite song of theirs.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mastodon's early stuff, namely the Remission CD. More like a modern prog rock than the generic shouty bullshit that was "Blood and Thunder"

KindOfnElf:

Agreed, Cemetery Gates was also a good song :)

dragonslayer32:
Rise Against have a few slow songs, like 'Swing Life Away' and Hero of War'. Ozzy has 'Dreamer' and 'Mama I'm Comin' Home' and Stone Sour have 'Through Glass' and 'Bother'.

Hero Of War is such a brutal song. And I dont mean like its awesome, I mean its brutal

Also, thanks to you, I remembered "Through Glass" by Stone Sour. I looked it up, and just started singing along without realising

Well I was going to say the entire Damnation album by Opeth, they play death metal and did a whole soft acoustic album, and its fucking awesome, but since someone Ninja'd me.

So instead I will say Benighted by Opeth(its off a different album)

Vermillion pt 2 by Slipknot

Come Clarity by In Flames

Angels Don't Kill by Children Of Bodom

Voice Of The Soul by Death

That will do for now

If that isn't slow, I don't know what is.

Type O Negative's entire album "Slow Deep and Hard."

KindOfnElf:

Should at least mention it was the almighty Black Sabbath who made the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PibGifsYGSs

Also Estranged is an amazing song from Guns N Roses I discovered much later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpmAY059TTY&ob=av2e

I'm going to throw out a few of my favourite bands, and the slow songs that they do.

First off, Black Label Society, who regularly create some of the most emotive slow songs I've ever heard from a heavy metal band, with their newest one, January, from Order of the Black being no exception to the rule.

Other good slow songs I love are:

Winter Dreams from Balls to the Wall by Accept
Bad Company from War Is the Answer by Five Finger Death Punch (well, it's slowish :P)
I Just Want You from Ozzmosis by Ozzy Osbourne
18 and Life from Skid Row by Skid Row

That'll do, I think.

Glad to see Five Finger Death Punch here :)

Anyway, here's one slow song. I used to hate this song, but now, after actually listening to the song, I love it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked