Does anger make you stronger?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Does rage push you to succeed? Can hate motivate you to achieve greatness? Or is anger a poison that corrupts you from within?

False dilemma is false, there's no reason it can't be all of them. Or at least, you haven't provided one and it's not readily apparent to me.

It's both, depending on who's in control. Unfortunately it tends to blur the lines if you rely on it too often - but ultimately, in every great human victory, it has been an important, vital tool. Civil rights movements from the suffragettes in the UK to Nelson Mandela's anti-apartheid movement in South Africa have used anger extensively - had they been quiet and non-confrontational, it's hard to see how anything would have changed at all.

anger and hate are technically to different (yet very similar{perhaps cousins}) things.

anger usually happens when someone takes something away from you. E.G. when driving in the city and some guy gives you the middle finger you get angry.

You get angry because he has taken something from you.

Hes taken your respect.

Anger is your reaction to weakness. Humans hate being weak.

Yes.

It also makes you stupid.

All things in moderation. A little anger can be a hell of a driving force... you just can't let it consume you.

Rage just usually makes you do stupid things. Like putting your fist through a wall..yea that hurt, and now there's a hole in the wall that I will never fix. Anger can be a sort of motivator though, good in a fight, to a point; as long as you don't do something stupid.

This one friend I know, broke his hand when he broke the windshield of his car with said hand. *RAGE*

But being angry all the time sucks, so it does start to corrupt you. But corruption is cool and shit yo'

A vicious, visceral "fuck you and everything you stand for and go die in a fire, you piece of shit" anger has driven the greatest accomplishments of my life.

If I'm not giving a middle finger to one of my critics, I'm probably bored.

And slip to the darkside, noways.

anger leads to hate hate leads to suffering...

yes. By starwars logic only. anger makes one stronger.

No. When I get angry, all my intelligence and common sense goes out the window.

I'm more motivated to do things when I'm slightly sad rather than angry, anyway.

Anger, as with any strong emotion will often cloud your judgment, your rationality.

makes me stronger but then i'm a berserker :P

Anger doesn't so much make you stronger as it makes you less inhibited. The strength boost is more from you ignoring everything holding you back.

Well, it makes the Hulk stronger. As for everyone else, I think it's different on a person-to-person basis.

Anger is my strongest tool of motivation, and it has been the fuel that has driven me to astonishing successes in the past. With that said... I never want to experience that again because it is also extremely poisonous and destructive. Sure, I am able to get everything I want, but more often than not the path that I'd take if under the influence of rage almost certainly leads to a large amount of collateral damage for people I did not want to bring harm to. Rage is only useful in this regard when one is alone against the world or is making a last stand.

According to anime it does.

I'm looking at you DBZ.

I wouldn't know... but it sure as hell doesn't make cheeseburger Josh strong...

Plurralbles:

ninja'd well said
if anger lets me shoot lightening from my fingers, throw people across rooms and crush things through mind power then sign me up for some ;-)

No, it usually doesn't. Fury might (as it is more devoted to a greater good than anger), but anger itself is generally a dull on logic and calculation. Only in the most pure physical activities may the blood pumping of anger really aid you. The rest of the time, it creates poor judgement and worse consequences.

Plurralbles:

I hope you know that that's not originally from Star Wars. It's actually adapted from a Buddhist saying.

anger makes you mentally slow, physically predictable, and of little to no strategic purpose in a fight, as you have a greater chance of losing than doing any damage at all.

physically, yes. I was able to give someone who was bothering me a black eye and nosebleed, when I got really angry.
oddly enough, I don't remember giving him those. Anger bouts like that one are often non-existent, or a blur in my memory. then I come back down to earth and see what I did...=/ I'm not proud of some of the things I've done.

Gooood...
Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side!

As George taught us before (or just as, depending on who you ask) he lost his mind and started making movies in order to sell toys, hate and anger might make you temporarily stronger/more determined, but at the cost of blindness, and a penchant for rash, regrettable decisions. Much like your better liquors.

Besides, revenge is best served cold, and all that.

It pushes me to success, I can't speak for everyone but it has never been a poison to me, I'm as evil as it gets (to a certain extent, I won't harm children, and I don't hit women unless they start it, other wise nothing else is off limits) and whenever I get pissed I typically win, whether it's playing Tekken or beating the shit out of someone in real life, when I get mad I win, always.

Anger is like duct tape. It's a quick fix, but it won't hold up. In this case, anger is good for a nice burst of strength or motivation, but it subsides relatively quickly, and with it goes your motivation if that was all that was driving you.

If for some reason you are permanently angry, then yes, you'll probably die from....diabetes or something. Anger induced diabetes.

Anger pushes me to succeed, but at the same time builds a wall that prevents me from doing so.

Mentally, Yes. It has the potential if used correctly to give you the drive and ambition to accomplish great things. However it cannot do it alone as it usually needs an accompanying emotion to guide and direct it such as spite.

Physically, absolutely. I say this as someone who had a broom handle broken over my forearm just this week. If there was no anger, the adrenaline would not be present enough in the system to endure the pain it caused. Took roughly 4 hours to calm down enough before the pain of the strike started setting in. Adrenaline allows you to play through the pain, as well as endure more pain. Anger is one of the best tools to drive up levels of adrenaline in the body.

Anger is good. But it takes effort to use it properly and not just go off in berzerker mode which more often than not causes you to make very stupid mistakes.

Only if you're this guy:

Well, anger does make me perform better in sports...

I'd say yes, it does.

Depends. Sometimes if I get mad in an online game, I end up getting stubborn and just end up being a point generator for my enemies.

WolfEdge:
Yes.

It also makes you stupid.

this....

I can make a bigger indent in the sofa if I wallop it when I'm angry at a game.
I don't get angry at much else though, so I'm not sure if you can "apply" it to stuff. The few times I do, I'm too busy being angry to do anything useful.

sometimes when I am angry I feel as if I am stronger, and can do things easier... except playing games, when I get angry I stop.

Anger and rage cloud and cripple.
Righteous fury forges resolve.

Serenegoose:
It's both, depending on who's in control. Unfortunately it tends to blur the lines if you rely on it too often - but ultimately, in every great human victory, it has been an important, vital tool. Civil rights movements from the suffragettes in the UK to Nelson Mandela's anti-apartheid movement in South Africa have used anger extensively - had they been quiet and non-confrontational, it's hard to see how anything would have changed at all.

Yes, because Gandhi didn't get anything done with that old Civil Disobedience shtick.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked