Just hit someone with my car

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I was driving to college today and as i pulled out the junction (this is england btw) a cyclist came off the pavement and i hit him. I was going at about 5 mph and he stumbled off his bike. He was not hurt luckily, I damaged the front wheel of his bike but it appeared to be a cheap model, i offered to pay the price of the wheel and i gave him my information and he may call me later. He seemed like a nice man and wasnt angry or upset with me so i doubt hes going to sue me :) Im waiting for him to call atm and im still quite shaken so in order to keep me occupied my question is this. Did i do the right thing and what do you think will happen to me. Also if you were in this situation what would you do?

Update- Its been over 3 hours now and ive not heard anything
Update 2- Now over 6 hours and still nothing

Despite what is undoubtedly going to be an overwhelming mob of people saying you should have run over him again (You know I love you, Escapists), yes you did the right thing.

If I had been in the same situation, I probably would have just panicked a lot and given the guy a hug.

Yes, you definitely did the right thing. Well done!

If I was in the same situation... well, I wouldn't be, I'm a cyclist, and I don't drive a car :P

His fault he got hit, why can't cyclists use the goddamn bike path?! Its a BIKE PATH for BICYCLES! THE ROAD IS FOR CARS YOU MORONS!

I had to stay in school until 2: AM because my mother was in this exact situation, but there the biker was injured enough to go to hostpital while my mother fought a legal war while I was taught my abc's for 14 hours.

I hit a cyclist on my motorbike because, like car drivers, cyclists tend to believe motorcyclists don't need their lane.

I pulled into a side street, stopped my bike ... experienced a rabid torrent of words even though he coillided into me because I refused to give up my lane ... I just looked at him, laughed, popped on my helmet and jumped back on my bike.

He was yelling and screaming about 'Hit and Run' and all that but nothing came of it ... mainly because that particular section of road is littered with CCTV recorders and he'd have to pay excess to whatever I claimed were damages to my motorbike.

It's a pity he didn't say anything in the long run :x I'd love some new fairing n.n

Run him over again?.. wait what?

Think you should praise yourself lucky you dont live in america, then he would probably own your car and house already!

Dont think you got anything to worry about seeing as it was only minor material damage..

Edit: sue him for scracthing your car :P

Wow, that sounded very reasonable, couln't imagine what I would do in the situation but there would probably be more blood.

Eh. The 'right thing' is pretty subjective -- aside from the law. If the victim is happy with the outcome, I guess it is the right thing.

Nice work on not being a dick.

It does beg the question: can a wrong ever be undone?

I don't see how one could undo or make up for time lost, frustration, sentimental value, etc.

I dunno. I'm bored and thinking too much.

Run him over again!

kinggingerman:
I was driving to college today and as i pulled out the junction (this is england btw) a cyclist came off the pavement and i hit him. I was going at about 5 mph and he stumbled off his bike. He was not hurt luckily, I damaged the front wheel of his bike but it appeared to be a cheap model, i offered to pay the price of the wheel and i gave him my information and he may call me later. He seemed like a nice man and wasnt angry or upset with me so i doubt hes going to sue me :) Im waiting for him to call atm and im still quite shaken so in order to keep me occupied my question is this. Did i do the right thing and what do you think will happen to me. Also if you were in this situation what would you do?

Hmm, I'd stay on my toes for the next couple of days if I were you. If you gave him your info and didn't get his, and there were no other witnesses, all he has to do is *lose* that bit of paper and it's a hit and run.

Yeah, you did the right thing. Most people would shout at the cyclist and tell them to fuck off.
I don't see why he would sue. It was only a bump, you said he wasn't harmed and you were under the speed limit. Unless he wants to take you to court over a broken wheel, I think they'll just laugh at him.

You did the right thing. Everything will go just fine as long as the person you hit isn't a jerk (which he doesn't seem like).

Sounds like you got more hurt emotional. Then they did physically.

The first thing that came to my head when I saw the title of this thread was "nice".

OP, you did the right thing. I wouldn't have offered to pay the repair cost if it were his fault, if it were mine I would have.

FallenJellyDoughnut:
His fault he got hit, why can't cyclists use the goddamn bike path?! Its a BIKE PATH for BICYCLES! THE ROAD IS FOR CARS YOU MORONS!

Not every city or town offers a bike path. That is unless you live in the Netherlands.

OT: You did the right thing. I would have appreciated it if the person who hit me as a kid had done the same thing you did. The motherf*cker just left me bleeding there and I limped home leaning against my bike.

Getting hit by a car does not feel good, even if the driver is driving slowly.

wordsmith:

kinggingerman:

Hmm, I'd stay on my toes for the next couple of days if I were you. If you gave him your info and didn't get his, and there were no other witnesses, all he has to do is *lose* that bit of paper and it's a hit and run.

I checked the law, hes got 24 hours to report it if hes hurt. I wonder if my post on here counts as evidence :P

EmileeElectro:
Yeah, you did the right thing. Most people would shout at the cyclist and tell them to fuck off.
I don't see why he would sue. It was only a bump, you said he wasn't harmed and you were under the speed limit. Unless he wants to take you to court over a broken wheel, I think they'll just laugh at him.

"Your honour, since that day I've been getting anxiety attacks whenever a car drives past me. It's effecting my way of life, I can't even go down to the shops because I'm afraid I'm going to get mown down again by a reckless teenager."

Courts have less of a sense of humour than you might think.

wordsmith:

EmileeElectro:

"Your honour, since that day I've been getting anxiety attacks whenever a car drives past me. It's effecting my way of life, I can't even go down to the shops because I'm afraid I'm going to get mown down again by a reckless teenager."

I think he clearly mentioned he was in England, not the US. If it were the US, then you'd be able to pull off rediculous shit like that

You did just fine. You stayed to make sure he was all right, offered to pay for the damages, and gave him your information. About the only thing more you could have done was offer to give him a lift.

And not everywhere has bike paths. And I can't speak for other places, but some places bikes on the road are both legal and under the same regulations as motorvehicles.

And I'll admit, I came in thinking "You hit someone and the first thing you do is post? Has his body even gotten cold yet?"

FallenJellyDoughnut:

I know! I always cycle on the pavement.

But the official line is cycle on the road. The fuck. As stated by a policeman. I was just like "No fucking way, I'd rather not get run down"

Seriously. The fuck.

OP: How do you expect to get a high score if he's not dead? Hell, he's not even hospitalised.

Alright, you're gonna need a shovel, a shotgun and a shit load of lime. . .

vehystrix:

wordsmith:

EmileeElectro:

I think he clearly mentioned he was in England, not the US. If it were the US, then you'd be able to pull off rediculous shit like that

I'm aware that he's in England. In the US he'd probably already have been served. Let's look at the facts here:

OP hit someone with his car.

I was driving to college today and as i pulled out the junction (this is england btw) a cyclist came off the pavement and i hit him.

If it goes to court, they will look at how it happened.

I was going at about 5 mph and he stumbled off his bike. He was not hurt luckily, I damaged the front wheel of his bike but it appeared to be a cheap model, i offered to pay the price of the wheel and i gave him my information and he may call me later.

Taken from the CPS Dangerous Driving factsheet

"Some examples of careless driving are:

* overtaking on the inside;
* driving too close to another vehicle;
* driving through a red light by mistake;
* turning into the path of another vehicle;"

So unfortunately, yes, the OP could find himself in court. If he'd been at a standstill and the bike had gone into him, different story. Whilst the cyclist might not have looked hurt, he can't say that there was no psychological damage. Oh, and the fact that the front wheel was buckled means that there has been criminal damage caused by the collision, so the OP could find himself liable for that.

Contrary to popular belief, there are injustices in the UK legal system as well.

FallenJellyDoughnut:

Not in the UK. There are some bike paths but mostly bikes have to use the road. It's actually a legal requirement, for some weird reason. Though I think there is a drive at the moment to get more bike paths and stuff and to get more people cycling instead of driving. So yeah, the cyclist was perfectly right to be riding where he did.

Anyway, as for the OP, you definitely did the right thing, so stop worrying. I mean, the guy doesn't seem too pissed off, and you offered to make reparations, so nobody is in the wrong. It was just ana ccident, and that's all.

Fuck cyclists in England. Legally they can't ride on the pavement, but they're not insured like car drivers so conflicts can get messy and unfair.

I'm not even joking when I suggest you should have run him over again. If he was on the pavement then he had it coming. If he'd been on the road, then you should start worrying.

kinggingerman:

You took responsibility and sounded fairly civil about the whole thing. Many people crash into others and simply drive away as fast as possible.

I'm thinking you'll be fine, you may get a call about the wheel but that would only be to cut costs and somehow I doubt it would even get to that.

Regardless, good luck. And even though I don't commend you for hitting someone, I wanna say well done on taking responsibility.

vehystrix:

wordsmith:

EmileeElectro:

Suits are only common because the damage to a vehicle, and medical costs, can exceed cases exceed the maximum liability of the insurance company. Say you have up to $25,000 vehicle damage (minimum coverage by law) and $50,000 personal injury protection. Once you factor in any disability, missed work, and medical bills you can likely exceed that $50,000. Vehicles can easily exceed the $25,000 as well.

Not that most of these suits even go to court. Settlements are common, it's only when something is disputed (the cause of the accident, or injuries) and when it is disputed the insurance company picks up the tab for counsel if you have good insurance.

However the extreme faking pain and suffering for a quick buck, stereotype you are talking about is a myth pure and simple. Try that crap in court and you're much more likely to get your ass thrown out then make a quick buck, especially if the other guy has a halfway decent lawyer.

You did the right thing! *Thumbs up*

If I was in this situation, I would probably have done the same...
or I'd shout at him and tell him to watch where he's going...
Depends on if im in a good mood :)

Somehow I imagined the original poster sitting in his car, typing the message on a mobile phone, while the biker is still trying to get up.

Anyways.. yeah, like Heavy would say: "You did well!". Had you come out of your car screaming and insulting the biker, he probably would've been more of a dick. Then again, he might judge you as an apologetic pushover kind of dude, and try to rip you off.

But that's probably not what's going to happen.

atleast you dident go into a huge middle of the road fight beating each other

so right thing done, if you where rude like i mentioned you could a sue could be accompliced but since you where so nice to that fellow, he properly wont, nice done mate

FallenJellyDoughnut:

Not always an option. Where I live there are no bike paths, we have to cycle on the road by law. I usually cycle on the pavement for exactly that reason....drivers are scary, angry people.

I feel bad for anyone who has to cycle in London, the cycle paths are awful. About a foot wide and disappear randomly.

OT: I would've done the same as you OP, you did good. Don't worry :)

If they were over 16 and cycling on the pavement the fault lies with the cyclist as it is illegal in the UK, he should have been on the road and THAT is what I would have said and i'd have drove off without giving the guy squat

Well if he was on the pavement it was his fault not yours so legally you're fine. Even if it was a pedestrian you'd be legally all right.

To be honest we really need more cycle paths. Cycling on the pavement is awful as they get in the way of pedestrians and slow down traffic if they ride on the road.

Well this episode is over. Ive agreed to pay for his wheel for 42 quid. So it all worked out in the end yay. Thanks for your support everyone :)

As my driving instructor says; "You have to do the observations for you AND the cyclists."

I have my lessons in Cambridge, UK where they are a TON of cyclists.

FallenJellyDoughnut:

Bikes are for on roads, cycle paths are sparse and only so useful, and rolling along the pavement is silly.

The problem here is that he "came off the pavement"...which is a dangerous manouver. You have to watch your ass doing that.

Having said that, I've almost been clattered by asshole drivers a few times through no fault of my own. Seriously, if I'm signalling to go right...don't hit the accelerator and burst past my right hand side as I'm about to take the corner. That's inexcusable, sociopathic behaviour.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked