Do you still have a standard definition tv as your main tv?
Yes
71.2% (375)
71.2% (375)
No
26.8% (141)
26.8% (141)
No, i have a 3-D television
0.6% (3)
0.6% (3)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Does anyone still own a standard definition tv?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Celtic_Kerr:

Sonic Doctor:

Celtic_Kerr:
I still have my old faithful tube TV. It's a decent size (about 40" I think) but when I play videogames on it, all the text is tiny because everyone loves their HD widescreens

That is actually one of the reasons I got mine a few months ago. Back last October when I pre-ordered Halo 3: ODST, I got a ten dollar credit, I used it to buy a three pack of XBox 360 games, on of the games was Dead Rising, I couldn't play the game because the instructional text was just too small, I didn't know what the game was telling me to do. Though I don't like the game anyway, I hate games that are basically one big timed mission. It was fine back in the days of Super Mario Bros, because I didn't have to think or plan while playing it, I usually beat it in 24 minutes these days. But the new games of today just don't mix with timers. Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask isn't that new, but that was the major fault I saw in that game as well, let me actually play the game instead of making me worry and rush through it. Sorry, on tangents again.

Try going through a conversation with Mass effect two. I'm glad they hve the basic rule of "Upper left and upper right option are generally paragon. Lower left and lower right and generally Renegade" thing because I can't see that the option to say is.

Will you go with blurry line #1 or #2? Well, blurry line #2's blurriness look's more threatening, so #1.

Yeah, i have both.

Sonic Doctor:

Celtic_Kerr:

Sonic Doctor:

Celtic_Kerr:
I still have my old faithful tube TV. It's a decent size (about 40" I think) but when I play videogames on it, all the text is tiny because everyone loves their HD widescreens

That is actually one of the reasons I got mine a few months ago. Back last October when I pre-ordered Halo 3: ODST, I got a ten dollar credit, I used it to buy a three pack of XBox 360 games, on of the games was Dead Rising, I couldn't play the game because the instructional text was just too small, I didn't know what the game was telling me to do. Though I don't like the game anyway, I hate games that are basically one big timed mission. It was fine back in the days of Super Mario Bros, because I didn't have to think or plan while playing it, I usually beat it in 24 minutes these days. But the new games of today just don't mix with timers. Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask isn't that new, but that was the major fault I saw in that game as well, let me actually play the game instead of making me worry and rush through it. Sorry, on tangents again.

Try going through a conversation with Mass effect two. I'm glad they hve the basic rule of "Upper left and upper right option are generally paragon. Lower left and lower right and generally Renegade" thing because I can't see that the option to say is.

Will you go with blurry line #1 or #2? Well, blurry line #2's blurriness look's more threatening, so #1.

pretty much "I see help in there! I'll pick that one! Oh shit, he just told them to go to hell... Damnit"

I got a HDTV a couple years back for my PS3 that was in my room, but last year my parents bought a 42" HDTV as the main TV. The old one is in another room.

I remember when I first plugged my PS3 into a HDTV at my friends house after I bought it, and I just knew I had to get one of those :) I've still yet to try 3D TV. Maybe it'll be cool.

I do!
it is the only television in my house that is not owned by a douchebag brother.

I have a normal tv and wont upgrade to a HD tv until it breaks. There really isnt that much difference between HD and normal anyway, and not enough to need to spend the money to replace something thats not broken. Way people went on about HD is retarded, yes it may look clearer with a sharper picture but its hardly that much better. Way they talk its similar to a person saying "get rid of you B&W tv and buy a colour one".B&W to colour was a huge different and well worth it, normal to HD isnt. To me its like using an s lead or a scart when i had my Playstation, you only notice a difference when you switch one for the other.

But i will buy a HD set when my current one dies, a nice flat screen. As far as 3D tv goes, not interest and 3D is a gimmick that spoils films instead of adding something to them. I do not want stuff jumping out at me, i just want to sit and enjoy the program.

Also before i forget, when they sold the X360 and PS3 they kept going on about HD gaming blah blah blah. I wonder how many idiots rushed out and bought a brand new HDTV because of this?

My TV is SD and I see no point in making the switch now. It's only 3 years old, so it has a long life ahead of it.

Yes, I have an old 20" Sony CRT TV in my room, I use it to play older games since the newer TVs tend to smudge and blur things.

It's funny you ask, because we upgraded to our first flat-screen just last week. Both bedrooms, however, still have standard.

Still got a SDTV, which is why I bought a 250 DSi instead of an equally priced 360, because I would've also needed an hdtv to play games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

Well, I have three TVs in my house: two widescreen HD and one standard that's about the size of a Buick. If you can afford to get an HD, I find it's completely and utterly worth it, especially if you're a gamer.

00slash00:

ViaticalTarsier:
Yup I have 3 SDtv's and for the most part I don't mind using them, but really someone should tell video game makers that everybody doesn't have an HDtv yet so stop making the dang writing so impossible to read when played on an SDTV

yea thats pretty much the only reason ive been saving for an hdtv. i mean better resolution would be nice but i think the graphics look just fine on standard definition. its the text that kills me. if i need to read a mission objective or look at a map on the pause screen or navigate a blue ray menu, its a complete guessing game. when i played the darkness, i couldnt read any of my missions or where to go next, so i would spend hours and hours wandering around, hoping i would bump into my next mission objective. at least its comforting to know that im not alone

Its even worse in dead rising. Dear god that game had bad text.

HD tv is overrated. You know those adverts that show you something that looks really good on the screen of a high def tv? It's still showing on my TV, so obviously it's not that special :P

Yep. I don't watch a ton of TV and I've got a 1080p monitor, so I don't see the point in trading up to a HD TV. Besides I like the feel of an old TV for my older systems.

Nope. Every TV in my house is a HD TV.
Oh and for the 3 of you who said you have a 3D TV at the time I posted this, I hate you. I want a 3D TV too.

I don't have an HDTV, and if it wasn't for the fact that I can't read the text on my games on an SDTV, I'd not upgrade. As it is, it's still a low priority purchase on account of televisions being ridiculously expensive. I cannot afford one at present. Still, might get a PC monitor and just use it instead - that sounds like a pretty good idea. I'd use my current one, but generally my 360 is used by my girlfriend to play some shit like Fifa whilst I'm gaming on my PC, so it's not like that's a great solution.

Still got my 15 year old SD TV and it's still going strong.

I only have a standard TV for gaming, gorram parents are anal me and my X-box will break our nice HD one....grrrr
One day I will see the full potential of modern gaming
ONE DAY

I finally got round to purchasing my sweet little 1080p HDTV in march.

Best purchase I've ever made. Ever.

even if it did leave me almost broke!

We have a nice 1080p plasma in the living room and my room has a pretty good widescreen Philips CRT.

I think so its flat but I dont think its HD I also own a very old TV for my DC

Still have a standard def, and I seriously doubt I will get anything else in my lifetime. My family only watches the news, and since that doesn't interest me I don't think I've turned on the TV for years. Hell we've never even had cable tv.

We have about 4 TVs in the house, all SD. Well, this computer screen is LCD, it's mine which I bought down. My old house had a 44" inch one, but I didn't watch much TV on it. Last time I went back, it looked so much bigger. Probably because I'm used to a small crappy one.

The two don't really look that different to me, I would imagine that I might notice the different if you put the two side by side but standard def is good enough.

Sonic Doctor:

Tipsy Giant:
I'm a SDTV guy who is waiting for everyone else to go 3d so I can get a HDTV2nd hand on the cheap, first adopters are suckers

You could look at refurbished tvs if you know a place that does that. One of my friends got his 32 inch Vizio 1080p LCD HDtv from a store that refurbishes them. He paid 320 for it, I doubt that even when prices go down you will get a better price than that. Besides I got my 32 Insignia 1080p for 460 with 2 year warranty, I would say if prices went down, it would only go down to about 360 or so. It would only go down lower if you wait ten years, I doubt that you want to wait that long. By that time I bet we will be using virtual reality entertaino visors for all of our visual media.

You'd be surprised, I have seen HDTVs in the 40+ inch range going for 250 squid and that drops each time I have a goose, so I think I should be able to pick up a 32 for about 150 after new years 2011, pretty easily

I now don't have a TV at all - I watch maybe an hour a week on the BBC iplayer and that's it.

Recently gave away my old TV when I realised I'd not plugged my TV in for 6 months and may as well cancel my TV licence in favour of having an extra 12 a month to spend on something useful.

May use the money to save up and buy a small 22" or so LCD TV later that I can connect my PC, xbox and ps2 to, and never tune it in, then I still won't need a licence.

I realise it's a bit cheeky to watch anything on the iplayer after I stop paying, but it's entirely legal, so it's just a morality thing, and I've been paying the licence and not using a TV for ages, so I should have some saved up.

Not as my main tv, but I still have a standard tv in my room. Can't wait until I can afford to upgrade it!

yes, and I would imagine most people will still own a standard def TV. I am, however, getting a 1080p HD TV, like OP, but I am still jealous of all the people with 3D TV's :L

yes, but its not used. I use my 1080p 26" monitor as a tv.

scumofsociety:
I don't own a TV at all.

wow, thats really commendable

SODAssault:
In my house, there are three average-sized CRT TV sets, a 65" rear-projection HD widescreen, and four 30-40" 1080p LCDs. I think my sister is the only one that uses SDTVs anymore, though. I know I won't be going back; I love being able to see my games.

Jeez, how big is your house?

We have two SDTV's, and nothing else. But back home, we have two SDTV's and two HDTV's. Granted, the HDTV's were cheap and crappy.

superbatranger:

SODAssault:
In my house, there are three average-sized CRT TV sets, a 65" rear-projection HD widescreen, and four 30-40" 1080p LCDs. I think my sister is the only one that uses SDTVs anymore, though. I know I won't be going back; I love being able to see my games.

Jeez, how big is your house?

We have two SDTV's, and nothing else. But back home, we have two SDTV's and two HDTV's. Granted, the HDTV's were cheap and crappy.

Middle-class suburban home, five bed, three bath. We just happen to have a TV in just about every other room. And one outside. They just kinda cropped up. We're not rich, CostCo just makes things affordable.

I have 2 HD tvs, one is 48 inch, and the other is 52 inch. The 52 inch is also 3d convertible, I just need to change a few settings for it to work in 3d, but I never will because I'm not fucking buying 3d glasses.

I can't stand tube TVs anymore for gaming. A friend of mine has one, and if we're playing a game on it, I have trouble making anything out because you can't see detail.

I think my TV is HD ready, but I haven't watched anything in HD. So it might as well be in standard definition.

I refuse to purchase an idiot box. Everything I care to watch is available to see on the computer, I can use a desktop monitor to play my console games, and T.V. shows all suck.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked