Myst....as a movie anyone?

I was just looking through on this one site and then saw the words. "How to make a Myst movie that doesnt suck."

...what?

So I look on further and it's this article on Gamer Sushi. Giving Hollywood 5 tips to make it good.

1. More Pirates
2. Make it Scary
3. Populate it
4. Puzzlers gonna Puzzle
5. Make it 15 years go

Don't believe me? Heres the link.

http://gamersushi.com/2010/10/07/dear-hollywood-5-tips-to-prevent-a-lame-myst-movie/

I don't think I've ever even spoken to someone who likes Myst before.

id like to see a myst movie

Woodsey:

You poor poor boy. ;(

Myst is just absolutly fantastic. I actually like the premis of Myst being made into a game. and the made it 15 years ago thing, Made sense.

What's myst? TO WIKIPEDIA....

Why would they make a adventure game into a movie? Sure the time travel concept sounds cool, going to different ages and all, but its not like the audience can solve puzzles.

What's Myst? Am I supposed to know it?

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who doesn' know it.

Impluse_101:

Woodsey:

You poor poor boy. ;(

Not really - I've played it myself so I can fully understand why they don't xD

And to all of you who haven't played Myst I say.......

Hmmm, I absolutely love the original Myst but I have no damn clue how in the hell they would be able to make an enjoyable movie out of it. Considering the kind of game it is, a movie just doesn't seem all too feasible.

Unless of course if they made movies out of the prequel novels.

Myst is nice.

A movie would pretty much defeat the principle.

To all of you who don't like Myst, your argument is invalid, Douglas Adams liked it.

HK_01:

Your not the only one, only in my case.. I dont wanna know wha it is :S

I think the point of myst, and the main draw, was the discovery aspect. Finding things out for yourself with little to no intervention. That would undoubtedly be lost if it were ever transferred to a movie medium. So, it's a no from me.

Legendary Alucard:

HK_01:

Your not the only one, only in my case.. I dont wanna know wha it is :S

don't people know how to use Google in this day and age!?

Huh.

I'm surprised. Are they really talking about making a movie again?

I could see a movie set in the Myst universe, perhaps about Atrus discovering new civilizations, or the D'ni at their high point, but simply a "Myst" movie? No way. They are my favourite games of all time, and they won't make good movies.

icame:

Why would they make a adventure game into a movie? Sure the time travel concept sounds cool, going to different ages and all, but its not like the audience can solve puzzles.

Time travel? Why are you talking about time travel? OH! You think ages means different points in time. No, ages are different universes. Ages doesn't mean age the way we think of it, it means something completely different.

Check out Myst Online if you get the chance, it'll introduce you to the concept.

http://mystonline.com/play/

It's free, though the original game would probably be a better primer on the franchise. realMYST is available on Steam.

Now, from what I hear, the movie, which they are making, is related to the game in the same way the Indiana Jones movies are related to the Indiana Jones games. It's actually going to be based on the Book of Ti'ana.

Woodsey:

Serious?

Myst and Riven are amazing, then after that it gets a bit...well...you know how every franchise/sequel gets.

The first Myst really defined NothingIsScarier for me.

Skywolf09:
Hmmm, I absolutely love the original Myst but I have no damn clue how in the hell they would be able to make an enjoyable movie out of it. Considering the kind of game it is, a movie just doesn't seem all too feasible.

Unless of course if they made movies out of the prequel novels.

Actually, I heard that's what they intend to do. About Atrus' grandpa and grandma. Or something. I fail to see how making a movie out of the original game could possibly go well.

The intrigue of Myst won't translate well into movie form. WE are the ones exploring these ages. WE are the ones who make decisions about what actions to take and where to go. The fact that WE are the only ones in lonely and empty worlds is a primary part of the experience. If they give "The Stranger" a face, then that intrigue is lost. And if they shoot the entire thing from first person perspective, then it feels like either we're inside someone else's head or someone else is controlling our bodies.

Woodsey:

myst was confusing but i liked it.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!

on topic;
those 5 tips would wreck everything that Myst stands for.

Nothing, and I mean nothing that you could do to a Myst movie would make it not suck. The entire game is about being alone, figuring out the mystery of what happened, and exploring the different worlds. That would not translate well to a movie at all. Plus I do not want Hollywood frelling with my childhood any more than it has already.

icame:

erm...when we talk about an 'Age', we talk about the worlds the characters travel to, rather than a certain period of time in 'our' world
Also, it's not so much adventure as it is puzzle-solving
Ironically enough, one of the most 'showable' (i.e. movie/tv) would be Myst III or Myst IV, considering that they are paced faster than the first two(I really loved Riven, though)

The fact that Myst is a game is the one thing that makes it worth it.

Making it into a non-interactive medium would make every second of it agonizing.(I personally don't like the game in the first place..)

Impluse_101:
I was just looking through on this one site and then saw the words. "How to make a Myst movie that doesnt suck."

...what?

So I look on further and it's this article on Gamer Sushi. Giving Hollywood 5 tips to make it good.

1. More Pirates
2. Make it Scary
3. Populate it
4. Puzzlers gonna Puzzle
5. Make it 15 years go

Don't believe me? Heres the link.

http://gamersushi.com/2010/10/07/dear-hollywood-5-tips-to-prevent-a-lame-myst-movie/

I think a movie based on the original game has some promise. Obviously the audience can't solve puzzles like in the game but they could make it so that the audience is kept guessing as to whats happening. It'd have to be done very well though.

HK_01:

I'm going to assume that you've wiki'd or googled it since you posted this so I'll keep it brief. Its an old game where you had to solve a series of puzzles through mostly static environments and it required a lot of thought and patience.

I personally never completed the thing, I got stumped and refused to use walkthroughs.

It should be this!

Hlain:
It should be this!

LOL

But screw Myst. I want to see a video game and a movie series based on The Black Company.

But seriously if they did I think it would have to maybe use the setting of Myst but be a different chapter. The setting itself has alot of room for movie making, but making it on one of the games would be lame.

Black Company would be better.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked