Superman gets new Emo-ish makeover to attract the new gen.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

So it seems classic superman is no longer as big a draw to the younger generation these days.

DC decided he needed a more "Twilight" makeover to appeal to the younger crowd. So they made him dark and brooding.

Heres the yahoo article on it.

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/crush/superman-gets-a-hipster-makeover/488#mwpphu-container

I have never been a huge Superman fan. Im far more into Marvel Superheroes. But Superman is pretty iconic. Kind of sad to see him get changed so much.

EDIT- The new Superman will appear in "Superman: Earth One," a graphic novel by writer J. Michael Straczynski and artist Shane Davis that retells the superhero's origin story. While the iconic superhero retains his dark mane and defined six pack, he now has a decidedly more emo vibe -- pale, leaner, and brooding. (No need to get too worked up, Superman loyalists: This new graphic novel series doesn't replace the original comics, but rather will serve as a "reinterpretation" of his younger years.

God damn it f1rst spider man now superman, when will it end?

Whatisthisidonteven...

The thing that strikes me the most strange is the glowing eyes. The hair, the jacket, the angry face, whatever. I don't mind changes like those, but the glowing eyes are just too much.

Pfft-hahaha! That's supposed to be Superman?! Hahaha! He looks like that idiot from Prototype! Ha!

Oh damn. Gerard Way is now Superman.

What's he going to do, cut himself with a shard of kryptonite?

And also on the comments:
"linda: Just bury him and be done with it. Do today's kid's even know the meaning of heroism? Remember clean cut, good looking, honest and always doing what is right? If it doesn't involve getting high, they just don't get it No wonder our prisons are so full."

What a bitch.

I've always had a problem with Superman's image. While on one hand his hulking muscles and tights are iconic, they're also outdated. Also, because of his size and stature, whenever he is seen as Clark Kent he looks very out of place and kinda silly. This, however, is a new low. The Ultimate series' (X-Men, Spider-Man etc.) created new, 'hip' images for the characters but never killed their image in the way this has. The Ultimates were handled tastefully (thank you, Mark Millar), but this... no, this is just wrong

Emo Superman? This does not bode well.

I'm confused, there are so many stereotypes that come with hipsters. Most of them contradictory...

Since when have hoodies ever been hip?

What a piece of fucking garbage, comics are dead. He looks like the asshole from Prototype or something.

I know it's not meant to "replace" the iconic design but that's bullshit, they're obviously trying to slowly integrate it in long term.

Well it isn't like I gave a shit about Superman in the first place...

Let's save the angsty stuff for batman, why don't we?

Wow and I hated Superman before, now he's just laughable.

Only cool Superman is in the DC Universe trailer.

To be fair, I think changing him up a bit is a good idea. Maybe not this direction (only time will tell) but personally I hate the old "boyscout" style superman. I realise he is a classic icon of comicbook superheros but he's so flat and boring as a character and grossly overpowered as a hero that something has to be done to make him interesting to a market which is no longer quite so easily entertained by the old cliches. They still love all the new cliches though sadly hence the broody stuff :(

I dunno.....I kind of think he was due a makeover. Lose the glowing eyes and I think that looks pretty awesome.

You can't keep him as a mild mannered reporter from the 1970's forever...

BenzSmoke:
Pttt-hahaha! That's supposed to be Superman?! Hahaha! He looks like that idiot from Prototype! Ha!

Same think I thought.

I don't really care about superman. Iconic or not, he's a lame superhero.

what is the new gen? seems depressing. look at the new Dante(DMC5) too.

If they can make Batman a robot then I guess they can make superman in to fallout boy. We all know that DC can and will milk their product as long as it brings home the cash.

Casual Shinji:
Since when have hoodies ever been hip?

Actually for quite some time. I work in the fashion industry and we find that year in, year out, hoodies are one of the most popular pieces of apparel in every collection. :P

OT: I can say I'm happy with this. I never liked superman anyway. He's too... 'nice'.

Sigh... Superman may be an infallible, incorruptible god of a man who pulls powers out of his rear, but did he really need a gritty reboot?

Oh, so its gen. for generation, I assumed gender.

Korenith:
To be fair, I think changing him up a bit is a good idea. Maybe not this direction (only time will tell) but personally I hate the old "boyscout" style superman. I realise he is a classic icon of comicbook superheros but he's so flat and boring as a character and grossly overpowered as a hero that something has to be done to make him interesting to a market which is no longer quite so easily entertained by the old cliches. They still love all the new cliches though sadly hence the broody stuff :(

Oh i agree to a point.

Superman has always bugged me. The Super Golden Boy image just wasnt appealing. But my main problem was he was basically invincible and unbeatable except by kryptonite of course. It just didnt make for a very compelling superhero.

But i dont really care to much for this makeover. He looks to young, pale, and thin IMO.

I will agree he needed an update though.

I think he looks cool, but I'm pretty sure that's not Superman, but rather Superboy or whatever it is called

also, come on, what's wrong with dark redesigns?most of them DO look cool, like, for example, Dante

Huh. He went from dull, unlikeable character that would look out of place as a journalist, to dull, unlikeable character that would look out of place as a journalist.

That's like some kind of magic.

CrashBang:
I've always had a problem with Superman's image. While on one hand his hulking muscles and tights are iconic, they're also outdated. Also, because of his size and stature, whenever he is seen as Clark Kent he looks very out of place and kinda silly. This, however, is a new low. The Ultimate series' (X-Men, Spider-Man etc.) created new, 'hip' images for the characters but never killed their image in the way this has. The Ultimates were handled tastefully (thank you, Mark Millar), but this... no, this is just wrong

Supposedly, the All Star series DC did of Superman was better than the normal one, and was practically an "Ultimate" series save that they didn't update the image.

Anyways, I really do want to see Superman update his image to something beyond the rather silly tights, and I've been told that he's actually a lot less perfect than people think he is (that apparently comes from the silver age), but this is...

...wait, I fell I've seen...

What the fuck?! It's Alex Mercer! Run! That's not Superman, just the guy who ate him!

Pfft, who even cares about Superman these days anyway?

Call me when they gritty reboot Batman, THEN I'll get pissed!

I know they had to make Superman a more interesting and approachable character, but honestly, do they really expect FUCKING SUPERMAN to bring in the squealing fangirls?

Thank god it's only an elseworlds type thing. If they replace the traditional image, it'll be universally hated and last for all of five minutes. Remeber the Superman Red and Superman Blue stuff? Thought not.

But in any case, being dark and brooding is not Superman. Superman is bright, hopefull, optimistic and what people should aim to be like. Batman is dark and brooding. If the writers wanted to work on a deep introspective story where the hero faces his inner demons, they should've asked to work on Batman, or possibly Deadman or Green Arrow.

DC writers, when looking for ideas for how to write Superman, look to Christopher Reeve's portrayal and the Bruce Timm aimated series portrayal of Supes, blend the two, throw in some actual villains for him to fight, and there you go, perfect Superman.

Are character designers on the stealthiest strike ever? The redesigns of Cole McGrath, Dante, now this...

Either it's a stealthy protest or every last one of these people needs to be fired.

And now Superman will likely go from boring, uninteresting superhero, to boring, brooding antihero. Great...

Oh, c'mon! It's superman! He isn't supposed to be all broody he's supposed to be a singularly focused definitive boyscout. Frankly, I liked him like that

It's like if Alex Mercer and Superman collided inside a particle accelorator.

Huzzar an angsty Smallville, I'll be queing for this....

EDIT:

DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio described the graphic novel -- in book stores November 2 -- with adjectives more typically used to hype new CW dramas.

"We wanted to tell a story that's hip, sexy, and moody," he said.

He's not supposed to be moody!

Can't say if I'm a fan of it, it feels abit like the Smallville-approach. Which after 10 seasons just feels stupid.
However, it's like the new-and-improved Wonder Woman. These are EARTH 1 versions of the heroes, alternate-continuity stuff. Kinda like what Marvel did with Ultimate. And it'll probably follow the same standard. It'll all be very hit or miss.

Something worth remembering with these iconic heroes is that over the over 70 years(!!) they've been published they've gone through so many remimagenings that... frankly, looking back through it it just isn't suprising any more.

Here's hoping the writing's solid and the artwork's good. If it's not it won't matter and will just be cancelled anyway.

Superman is a good character when given the right writers. It's just a rare occurance, that's all. At least they aren't doing some BS retcon of a bunch of stuff...

As for the redesign... he just slimmed down a bit, and looks younger. Looks more like SuperBOY than SuperMAN. Honestly, looks like another retelling of Superman's early years, [sarcasm] a fine addition to the 20 stories that also tried it [/sarcasm]. I get the attempt, but I don't see it working that well. I read Superman for over-the-top stories. If I wanted gritty, moody stories, I'd read Batman.

HAH

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

That is all I have to say on the matter.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked