George Takei Calls Out Anti-Gay Arkansas School Board Member

Pages PREV 1 2 3

InterAirplay:
Oh, George, You total fucking legend. I wish we could replace all public figures with clones of Mr. Takei, with the exception of Morgan Freeman and Stephen Fry. The original Takei would join those two in an audiobook venture in which they each read different entries from an encyclopedia out loud and then discuss them, with no sounds other than a roaring fire in the background and the odd creaking of a comfy armchair as they go about their pleasant discussion.

I honestly think that would sell like billy-oh.

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff. I'd gobble that up so fast. Hell, I'd buy three just to have extras for when I wear my first copy out from overuse!

Once again Takei reminds us that not only is he awesome but also that gay people are simply that, people trying to live their lives free of prejudice. They have done nothing wrong.

Takei and Stephen Fry need to team up at some point. It would be best gay pairing ever.

I don't know he reminded me of G-man :P

That was glorious. Go Sulu!

Excellent, and a demonstration of pure class. Awesome work Mr Takei!

InterAirplay:
Oh, George, You total fucking legend. I wish we could replace all public figures with clones of Mr. Takei, with the exception of Morgan Freeman and Stephen Fry. The original Takei would join those two in an audiobook venture in which they each read different entries from an encyclopedia out loud and then discuss them, with no sounds other than a roaring fire in the background and the odd creaking of a comfy armchair as they go about their pleasant discussion.

I honestly think that would sell like billy-oh.

YES, just YES. I would totally buy that.

On Topic: That guy really was a douchebag. I'm glad that we have awesome people like George Takei to tell these jerks what's what.
I doubt the guy even really learned any sort of lesson other than to keep his troll mouth shut, but I wish that he did.
Seriously, who encourages teens that probably feel scared and isolated for who they are into killing themselves? And he had been in a position on a school board, no less. That's just inexcusable.

This made my day

O shit!
Sulu just ruined that guy!

George Takei wins, was shocked about what that douchebag did.

Sir John the Net Knight:
I don't think it should be OK to bully anyone. But isn't Mr. Sulu committing a criminal act by calling the man a douchebag?

slander - n. Defamation by oral utterance rather than by writing, pictures, etc.

The man was being needlessly cruel, there is no question of that. But he has recanted, retracted his statement and resigned his position. Do you really need to dump on him more by calling him a douchebag? Couldn't one also view that as bullying?

Also why does no one ever give a toss about fat kids getting bullied? That's much more commonplace, but no less cruel and often ends in suicide of the victim as well.

1) It's only slander if he sated an erroneous fact with the intention to defame someone's character. "Douchbag" is an opinion, not a fact. The prosecutor has to prove the statement was erroneous and was made with ill intentions.

2)A very disproportionate amount of suicides are from gay and transgender kids.

Man I wish my school had Java so I can watch this.

Never thought i would hear Takei say Douchebag. It made me happy. When i saw that guy on the news, I got really ticked off, and wondered what this world was coming to. It seems like, to quote Yahtzee, this "for every step foward this [country] takes, it takes two steps back.Actually, its more like one step sideways, and one step back into a ditch filled with used surgical equipment."

Sir John the Net Knight:

ShadowsofHope:

Sir John the Net Knight:
I don't think it should be OK to bully anyone. But isn't Mr. Sulu committing a criminal act by calling the man a douchebag?

slander - n. Defamation by oral utterance rather than by writing, pictures, etc.

It's not, unless you'd like to suggest almost every politician in existence whom has called their opposition "retards" should be charged with slander as well?

Edit: And yes. You call out a douchebag when he is being a douchebag. It's no more bullying than calling a soldier a killer. They are both evident and factual statements based on said persons actions, words, or otherwise.

Ok, putting the legal issue aside for a second, is it actually necessary for him to do that? As I mentioned, it seemed a bit needless to kick the man when he's down. He did apologize, recant and resign his position. And Takei makes himself look like a jerk by dropping to his level so...

Look, I'm not saying one person is better than the other here. They're both acting like...well...douchebags.

You have a point, though Takei does just put it so eloquently it is hard to consider him ever near the same level as this prick. But you have to understand also, once you have been demeaned and bullied yourself for some time for whom you are, you tend just not to care when the aggressors get told on their inane bullshit.

Takei wins. Flawless victory!!! this video was pure gold and he was right: the guy does sound like a total douchebag and a member of a school board no less. Way to go Clint McCann. Way to go.

The only way this could be any more awesome is if Willaim Shatner beamed downed next to Takei and also called the guy a douchebag. Well done George.

I loved his little wink!
If I met him, I'd die a happy girl indeed.

A Whole Plate of Cookies for Mr. Takei

Thank you Mr. Takei. I have a great deal of respect for you. I always have, and now this just takes the cake, sir. You are now officially epic.

ShadowsofHope:

Sir John the Net Knight:

ShadowsofHope:

Sir John the Net Knight:

It's not, unless you'd like to suggest almost every politician in existence whom has called their opposition "retards" should be charged with slander as well?

Edit: And yes. You call out a douchebag when he is being a douchebag. It's no more bullying than calling a soldier a killer. They are both evident and factual statements based on said persons actions, words, or otherwise.

Ok, putting the legal issue aside for a second, is it actually necessary for him to do that? As I mentioned, it seemed a bit needless to kick the man when he's down. He did apologize, recant and resign his position. And Takei makes himself look like a jerk by dropping to his level so...

Look, I'm not saying one person is better than the other here. They're both acting like...well...douchebags.

You have a point, though Takei does just put it so eloquently it is hard to consider him ever near the same level as this prick. But you have to understand also, once you have been demeaned and bullied yourself for some time for whom you are, you tend just not to care when the aggressors get told on their inane bullshit.

Yet, I resemble your description of a bullied person and I fail to see how this is acceptable. No one should suffer this kind of thing, regardless of the reason. But to reverse the situation doesn't justify it either.

And how can you call anyone eloquent when they use a term like "douchebag"?

Sir John the Net Knight:
Yet, I resemble your description of a bullied person and I fail to see how this is acceptable. No one should suffer this kind of thing, regardless of the reason. But to reverse the situation doesn't justify it either.

So in your case.. what should he have said? Did you watch the video? Did you hear what the man said? A simple apology really doesn't dull a statement like "I like gays getting AIDS from each other so they die.", and it's likely the apology was only to quell a public sting. Not something sincerely this man regrets saying on a personal level. Of course, that is just assumption, but I have a strong doubt he really believes otherwise.

And I have been a victim of intense bullying myself. I suppose we just support two different ways of dealing with the same hateful comments. At least it was a non-violent approach.

..It was George Takei. Anything that comes out of his mouth is bred eloquent from years infront of the screen, combined with the Asian accent to his natural voice. Ontop of that, he is a Star Trek actor (retired). People whom have watched Star Trek their entire lives, or know the feeling of being ostracized for their more "geeky" likes can relate more through this man than anything else.

you are a douchebag I can't stop LAUGHING

I saw that video, you really gotta hand it to the guy he can remain calm and still be pretty humorous.

thethingthatlurks:
When this guy
calls somebody a douchebag, they really are a fucking douchebag. Well done, Mr. Takei, well done.

Is it weird that I'm more intrigued by the orange thing on the wall behind him then the half naked George Takei?

Well done I say.

That wink was fucking pimp.

George pretty much won the internet. Mundo approves.

I shall be the second person in this thread to nominate George Takei for President. Seriously, we'd have
world peace by sundown. Not to mention more Star Trek marathons.

Called out by Sulu. You know you have done something VERY idiotic to get that treatment.

Takei just made my day.

We need more people to call out the douchebags of the world.

YAAAAAAY!

He's got a point, no matter what the circumstances, to wish death upon another human being is simply wrong. I know some will mention serial rapists and serial murderers, but I don't believe you should wish death on them either. Because you are better than that, or at least you should be.

Why would he think it's good gay people die? Does he think it's contagious?

ShadowsofHope:

Sir John the Net Knight:

So in your case.. what should he have said? Did you watch the video? Did you hear what the man said? A simple apology really doesn't dull a statement like "I like gays getting AIDS from each other so they die.", and it's likely the apology was only to quell a public sting. Not something sincerely this man regrets saying on a personal level. Of course, that is just assumption, but I have a strong doubt he really believes otherwise.

And I have been a victim of intense bullying myself. I suppose we just support two different ways of dealing with the same hateful comments. At least it was a non-violent approach.

..It was George Takei. Anything that comes out of his mouth is bred eloquent from years infront of the screen, combined with the Asian accent to his natural voice. Ontop of that, he is a Star Trek actor (retired). People whom have watched Star Trek their entire lives, or know the feeling of being ostracized for their more "geeky" likes can relate more through this man than anything else.

What should he have said? How about nothing? Why could he not do the respectable thing and turn the other cheek? I am in no way excusing what the man said, it is totally reprehensible. If you must say something, why not simply say that? That it was reprehensible and what's happening to the man's life where he lost his job and his credibility in the public domain was of his own doing. By calling the man a "douchebag" Takei is simply lowering himself to the same level and damaging his own credibility. Now that kind of thing may get you some traction with a few internet posters who can't interact beyond that level, but it certainly would not put him in good standing with the public. And if it does, than clearly we need to re-evaluate our standards as a society.

And you wouldn't see Patrick Stewart come on TV and label someone a "douchebag". That man is eloquent.

Sir John the Net Knight:
-Snip-

I suppose we just have different opinions when it comes to this situation. *Shrug*

Simply agree to disagree? This conversation really isn't going much of anywhere from where we started off.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked