Shows similar to Elfen Lied

I'm just nearing the end of this excessively disturbing show, and for some reason, I keep coming back for more. Anyone know any movies or animes similar to this one? I'd greatly appreciate some more punishment on my psyche, being the twisted masochist that I am sometimes.

I'm not sure of similar to Elfen Lied. Would you settle for 'other anime that are otherwise disturbing and creepy'?

I'd say Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, once the happy status quo has been set and all the shit starts going down, it gets very similar to Elfen Lied in feel.
Not sure apart from that.

Punishment on psyche?

I'm saying Higurashi before anybody else does.

EDIT: Damn ninja...

Beltom:
I'd say Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni, once the happy status quo has been set and all the shit starts going down, it gets very similar to Elfen Lied in feel.

It certainly has the gore factor.

Otherwise, LAIN is a mindfuck.

Gantz is pretty damn good.

FalloutJack:
I'm not sure of similar to Elfen Lied. Would you settle for 'other anime that are otherwise disturbing and creepy'?

Yeah, that's basically what I'm getting at here. Anything that can cause that feeling of endgame and hopelessness that sticks with you for a while after watching it. Especially another miniseries (I loved how this one got straight to business with no BS and zero filler, just the intro, the body, and the end).

(This is a real cheery topic, ain't it?)

Beltom:

Loved Elfen Lied, and I found Higurashi a good anime.

It's... disturbing on the gore level, but you can get through it.

Death Note's pretty damn disturbing and depressing, if you really take a look at what is happening and pay attention to the growth of the characters.

Beltom:

That's a pretty good one. I haven't seen all of it, but what I have seen was a bit high on the gore factor...

Deadman Wonderland is getting an anime, so maybe that will suit your tastes.

If you want REALLY disturbing, watch a movie called 'Kite'

I must warn, you though, THIS FILM IS NOT FOR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18, IT CONTAINS GRAPHIC VIOLENCE AND NUDITY. It's NC-17, you've been warned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kite_(film)

Disclaimer was set up to avoid any trouble. Seriously, though, this is 100 times more messed up than Elfen Leid. If you think it's nothing then you must be either:

A. A 13-17 year old kid who wants to sound 'tough' by saying graphic violence and sex doesn't do anything to them

B. Someone who enjoys the acts depicted in the film. Turn yourself in to the police if so.

PS: Elfen Leid was horrible, not because of the gore, but because it was bad. I hated it. Its message was presented in such a crappy ham-fisted way that it made me cringe then rage. It's so hammy that it's non-kosher. Let the record show that I loathe Elfen Leid.

DrEmo:

I must warn, you though, THIS FILM IS NOT FOR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18, IT CONTAINS GRAPHIC VIOLENCE AND NUDITY. It's NC-17, you've been warned.

Disclaimer was set up to avoid any trouble. Seriously, though, this is 100 times more messed up than Elfen Leid. If you think it's nothing then you must be either:

A. A 13-17 year old kid who wants to sound 'tough' by saying graphic violence and sex doesn't do anything to them

B. Someone who enjoys the acts depicted in the film. Turn yourself in to the police if so.

PS: Elfen Leid was horrible, not because of the gore, but because it was bad. I hated it. Its message was presented in such a crappy ham-fisted way that it made me cringe then rage. It's so hammy that it's non-kosher. Let the record show that I loathe Elfen Leid.

Just reading the Wiki on Kite makes me shiver... I love Elfen Lied, though... I think I'll be in a mood for a good while, as I've just now finished it.

Elfen lied?

Anime has the worst titles I swear. Do the names for these things not translate well to english or something?

Keela:

Just reading the Wiki on Kite makes me shiver... I love Elfen Lied, though... I think I'll be in a mood for a good while, as I've just now finished it.

Terribly sad ending, Isn't it? I don't really like anime, and I loved Elfen Lied. Great series.

Beltom:

Sn1P3r M98:

Beltom:

That's a pretty good one. I haven't seen all of it, but what I have seen was a bit high on the gore factor...

Rakkana:
Punishment on psyche?

Couldn't find the Jap. version (of Higurashi), so I watched the first two minutes of the dub...

Could someone please link me to the show in its native tongue? I can't take any more of this!

Ehh.
I didn't like Elfen Lied that much.

But if you want a Gorey show with GOOD characters and a Plot that works and actually develops then Basilisk is an excellent one.

Monster is also a good Psycho anime.

School Days
Shiki

Just to name a few.

Are you going for gore, mind fucks, or ones that make you sad?

radarbsm:
School Days
Shiki

Just to name a few.

Are you going for gore, mind fucks, or ones that make you sad?

The latter two, mostly. Although mind fuckery and gore seem to go hand in hand often times.

The Great Googly:
Elfen lied?

Anime has the worst titles I swear. Do the names for these things not translate well to english or something?

It means "Elf song" in German...

and believe it or not it has nothing to do with elves besides it sounds better...<.<

The Great Googly:
Elfen lied?

It's actually German I believe. It means Elven Song...

Edit: Ninja'd my first post! *fist shake*

DrEmo:
Snip

That sounds awesomely cheesy. But awesome all the same. Also, your point is noted.

The Great Googly:
Snip

When you read that, its not Lied like "I lied about being in trouble" but is more Lee Aye'd At least, thats how it was pronounced to me. Its German.

OT: um... hm. I would say Gantz, but thats been said. mmm... Maybe Speed Grapher. Not alot of gore, but when people die, it gets messy.

DrEmo:

Just read the description and that's not that bad as far as gory movies go. Irreversible and A Serbian Film are much worse, and they don't have the distance that animation creates.

Keela:
I'm just nearing the end of this excessively disturbing show, and for some reason, I keep coming back for more. Anyone know any movies or animes similar to this one? I'd greatly appreciate some more punishment on my psyche, being the twisted masochist that I am sometimes.

I cant think of any that match Elfen Lied....and i don't think anything ever will for me.

ninonybox360:

Keela:

I cant think of any that match Elfen Lied....and i don't think anything ever will for me.

Heh... I can see that from your avatar. I almost want to change mine to evil Lucy, but I'm a guy, so that may not be the greatest idea...

I can't think in anything... I don't a big knowledge in anime anyway, but meanwhile read the manga, it's a little diferent a bit more heavy at times, but is pretty good too.

Keela:

FalloutJack:

Yeah, that's basically what I'm getting at here. Anything that can cause that feeling of endgame and hopelessness that sticks with you for a while after watching it. Especially another miniseries (I loved how this one got straight to business with no BS and zero filler, just the intro, the body, and the end).

(This is a real cheery topic, ain't it?)

Oh, indeed. Okay, it's not the same, but I recommend The Skull Man.

It was written by a man who died before he could finish the manga.

The man who took over for him also died before it was completed.

And I believe so did the producer of the anime.

But the finished product is good. The Skull Man delivers.

Keela:

ninonybox360:

Keela:

Heh... I can see that from your avatar. I almost want to change mine to evil Lucy, but I'm a guy, so that may not be the greatest idea...

cmon embrace your awesomeness....hell i had quite a few Lucky star avatars to...and i am also a guy.

Sacman:

The Great Googly:
Elfen lied?

and believe it or not it has nothing to do with elves besides it sounds better...<.<

Sacman:

The Great Googly:
Elfen lied?

Oh ok. Thats not so bad. I was right I guess. It just didnt translate well to english.

Keela:

Beltom:

Sn1P3r M98:

Beltom:

Rakkana:
Punishment on psyche?

Couldn't find the Jap. version (of Higurashi), so I watched the first two minutes of the dub...

Could someone please link me to the show in its native tongue? I can't take any more of this!

Probably should've mentioned that the dub is the worst butchery of the English language ever created. I'm pretty sure being forced to listen to it, should count as a war crime. Here's a link to the sub.
http://www.anime44.com/category/higurashi-no-naku-koro-ni

ninonybox360:

Keela:

ninonybox360:

cmon embrace your awesomeness....hell i had quite a few Lucky star avatars to...and i am also a guy.

And so it shall be... but with my own little twist! Is my little edit of Lucy as cool as I think it is?

As for contenders in terms of brutality, Berserk and Gantz would qualify, and I'll obviously wholeheartedly join in on recommending Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (When they Cry) (subbed, for gods sake!) to no end for all its qualities as an atmospheric psychological horror mystery.

Monster and Gunslinger Girl might be worth checking out too.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked