Slenderman Legality Question

Now that I've got your attention with my ridiculous title, let me pose a question to my fell escapists.

I'm planning on starting a screenplay that involves the Slenderman, if you don't know who that is plug it into google, and then shut the blinds after being scared down to your very soul.

My question is, is Slenderman public domain? He has become sort of a meme over the years, which is my reasoning.

Also in the book I plan to borrow the elements of a Slenderman controlling a proxy, and interfering the electronic devices in the screenplay. Both of these things come up rather frequently in "Marble Hornets" which is an episodic viral series that deals with the Slenderman, so I was wondering if by using these elements the creators of the series would have grounds to sue me.

Mmm... the first time i saw slender man was here, and cause it was copied from somewhere to hear. So you'd have to go and find where it was copied from, see if that was copied from anything. When you find who made, thats who has ownership.

Well, it started, like many things, on Something Awful.

If anything, just acknowledge Victor Surge, the original creator.

EDIT: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post361861415

This one.

Freezy_Breezy:
Well, it started, like many things, on Something Awful.

If anything, just acknowledge Victor Surge, the original creator.

EDIT: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3150591&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post361861415

This one.

Is he some sort of famous online poster, or someone I could easily get in touch with?

I think that if anyone had a clear claim, it would be the origonal poster on SA.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you intend on turning him into a screenplay, to my mind the anti-climax of people simply ceaseing to be is a massive part of the character, and that probably wouldn't translate all that well.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I really am curious, and a film that did manage to pull o fthe slender man would be mind blowing. (Am I really immature or did that sound dirty?)

the clockmaker:
I think that if anyone had a clear claim, it would be the origonal poster on SA.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you intend on turning him into a screenplay, to my mind the anti-climax of people simply ceaseing to be is a massive part of the character, and that probably wouldn't translate all that well.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I really am curious, and a film that did manage to pull o fthe slender man would be mind blowing. (Am I really immature or did that sound dirty?)

It would be a sort of noir story about a Father trying to rescue his son. The Father would interview families who's children had also been kidnapped, with no arrests ever made. As the Father gets closer and closer to the truth, the Slenderman appears more and more. Thats the main idea anyway. The story would however have a very hollow end.

elricik:
Is he some sort of famous online poster, or someone I could easily get in touch with?

Nah, he's a goon, he wouldn't mind. Just credit the original concept to him in the credits.

WHAT'S SO SCARY ABOUT SLENDERMAN?! you guys are driving me nuts!!!!!

Freezy_Breezy:

elricik:

Nah, he's a goon, he wouldn't mind. Just credit the original concept to him in the credits.

I hope your right about that, cause I have no way of getting in touch with him since I can't find an email address or messaging system on Something Awful.

elricik:

the clockmaker:

It would be a sort of noir story about a Father trying to rescue his son. The Father would interview families who's children had also been kidnapped, with no arrests ever made. As the Father gets closer and closer to the truth, the Slenderman appears more and more. Thats the main idea anyway. The story would however have a very hollow end.

Good, a slenderman stroy with a happy ending would suck.

Pretty sure 'fair use' comes into play.

Wouldn't hurt to acknowledge the original creator if it goes big.

Thank you. I had forgotten about Slenderman until you brought him up. Now I have to go hide under the covers...in broad daylight, no less. That's how much this guy scares me.

Macgyvercas:
Thank you. I had forgotten about Slenderman until you brought him up. Now I have to go hide under the covers...in broad daylight, no less. That's how much this guy scares me.

This except I would like to add that I now hate you.

EHKOS:

Macgyvercas:

Wait...do you hate me or the OP?

As long as Slendy isn't seen for more than a few seconds and from odd perspectives (with DISTORTIONS *twitch*) then I'm all for it.

If you can't get in contact with the original creator, then just acknowledge him in your work?

Slenderman isn't scary. A film of him might be.

Sorry, but Slenderman is already currently involved in another production.

Macgyvercas:

EHKOS:

Macgyvercas:

Wait...do you hate me or the OP?

The OP, don't worry, no one could hate you.

Orekoya:
Sorry, but Slenderman is already currently involved in another production.

Wow, thanks for the nightmare repellent.

Victor has a DevArt, you could message him on that, http://victor-surge.deviantart.com/

It's a picture in a forum post and on deviant art. I'm pretty sure those aren't covered by copyright laws.

keve4433:
Victor has a DevArt, you could message him on that, http://victor-surge.deviantart.com/

Thanks for the link, I definitely will. Even if he doesn't have a copyright claim to Slenderman since its sorta gone viral, it wouldn't feel right to make a whole script without talking to the man who started it all.

elricik:

Thanks for the link, I definitely will. Even if he doesn't have a copyright claim to Slenderman since its sorta gone viral, it wouldn't feel right to make a whole script without talking to the man who started it all.

No problem!

I think slender man isn't a registered character or trademarked so you should be fine. If he were you wouldn't see him on so much stuff. Why not choose a scary character like curious George? Cause compared to slender man curious George is terrifying.

in case no one caught on i am saying Slender Man isn't scary and my bowel movements have me scared more then he does.

Well, Slenderman can actually be traced to a specific person (or at least to a specific account name) who created the myth I believe, at least according to know your meme. I don't think they've ever trademarked or patented the idea though, so they would not have grounds to sue you if you use their ideas.

The whole marble hornets thing on the other hand could get a bit iffy. Still, I don't think they can sue you, it's just that most people will think that you've blatantly ripped them off, but a web series probably won't have much clout in court, should they decide they have grounds to pursue legal action.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked