The one question they always ask you that you hate

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

So what is that one question that everytime you meet someone new etc they always have to ask you, that really annoys you?

For me it's "Do you manicure your nails?" - my nails are naturally bright white when they get longer and everyone always asks me this.

Also little less common is "did you straighten your hair?" - I always get asked this if I shower before going out since it makes my hair look different and I always frown on guys using straighteners to get "that look" they love so much

And imagine both of them being asked in judging tones

EDIT: And here's a prime example for amusement

Why do you dye your hair that black?( I don't obviously)
Why do you have a girls name?(Again I don't, Ashley is accepted for both genders)

When people learn I am a medical student they ask "Is medicine like Scrubs?" or "have you killed anyone yet?" or "Have you seen many penises lately?"

It's begun to irritate me now!

"Has the bus come yet?"

People ask me that when I'm still standing there waiting for the bus.

I don't like that.

"Is it seriously your real name? Man, it's just too short"
Adam D**. Yah, 7 letters in total.
I seriously hate that.

Also, the "have you done your homework yet?" knowing, that the answer will always be "yes".

Do you have orange pubic hair?

I mean honestly you can only take that question in good humour a finite number of times, and I must say I've hit the limit.

Why do people always say that to red heads (gingers)?

Woah, you're only _____?

People love to talk about how I'm younger than them....

How did you get so smart?

I hate, absolutely hate, talking about my intelligence. I think everyone is smart.

People asking the name of the shop I work in when it is on the 20ft sign over the door, makes me want to punch the tards.

Marter:
"Has the bus come yet?"

I don't like that.

Wow, there must be a lot of blind people where you live or something. That's like asking "Is it nighttime yet?" Unless they presume the bus came and left and you stared at it slack jawed instead of getting on.

I don't usually get asked questions up front by new acquaintances or strangers. Occasionally I would get the "Do you eat?", but not so much anymore. So either I look like my weight is more normal or now that I'm older it's considered in bad taste to ask.

"Is it in yet" >_<

Distorted Stu:
"Is it in yet" >_<

Hahaha. Oh how that made me laugh.

"Why do you have a beard?"
or
"Why do you grow your hair so long?"

BECAUSE I FUCKING LIKE HOW MY HAIR AND BEARD LOOK OKAY!?!?

Distorted Stu:
"Is it in yet" >_<

I really want to just close the thread at that... haha

'Why are you so quiet/shy/nervous'

"Are you OK" I know its said with the best of intentions, but its just so annoying.

Marter:
"Has the bus come yet?"

I don't like that.

That drives me insane. "Yeah, it came. That's why I'm still here and not on the bus."

Another one is "Is that your real name?" (I have a name that isn't a typical name. It's a word.) What exactly do they think I'm doing? Lying to them? Do they expect everyone in the world to be named "John" or "Mary"? WTF? Any time someone has even the slightest bit different, everyone seems to freak out. And even though it's a regular 4 letter word that everyone uses practically every day, I STILL have to walk people through pronouncing and spelling it. I just want to go "Do you even SPEAK English? What's wrong with you?"

nunqual:
Woah, you're only _____?

People love to talk about how I'm younger than them....

This too. Why would I lie about that? What is it with humans that make them repeat everything they just heard in the form of a question?

I'm in Canada, so it follows:
Do you guys live in igloos?

Are you okay?

IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THEN NO!
Escpecially the time I was bleeding genoursly all over the bus. No, I'm fine. Just sneezing Hawaiian punch....

TheTaco007:

Another one is "Is that your real name?" (I have a name that isn't a typical name. It's a word.) What exactly do they think I'm doing? Lying to them? Do they expect everyone in the world to be named "John" or "Mary"? WTF? Any time someone has even the slightest bit different, everyone seems to freak out. And even though it's a regular 4 letter word that everyone uses practically every day, I STILL have to walk people through pronouncing and spelling it. I just want to go "Do you even SPEAK English? What's wrong with you?"

Yeah I get that too. Not because my first name is unusual, but because I have 4 of them. And the last two are a little weird. "Qualters" and "Nunamaker." Oh the weird pronunciations people come up with.

"Are you sure you just haven't met the right man yet?"

I mean, of course, that must be it - I'm a lesbian out of sheer desperation, turning to fanny because I just can't get any cock. Urgh. I hate ignorance.

Another one that bugs me is "So, what are you studying?" No real reason for that one, I just hate talking about my studies.

I hate it when people ask me about my job, or if I've found a new job, or what jobs I want in the future.

It just gets annoying as that seems to be the topic all my family members open with in a conversation with me.

I also hate it when my family asks if I've found a Girlfriend yet (the emphasis is always on the "yet") since I saw them last (usually only a couple of weeks).

It gets a bit of a pain at family parties where I hear the same two things over and over again.

nunqual:

TheTaco007:

Yeah I get that too. Not because my first name is unusual, but because I have 4 of them. And the last two are a little weird. "Qualters" and "Nunamaker." Oh the weird pronunciations people come up with.

And even that's not all that weird! Tons of people have 4 names. What is it about people that make them question everything that isn't EXACTLY LIKE THEM?

Rascarin:

I mean, of course, that must be it - I'm a lesbian out of sheer desperation, turning to fanny because I just can't get any cock. Urgh. I hate ignorance.

Another one that bugs me is "So, what are you studying?" No real reason for that one, I just hate talking about my studies.

That.... Wow, that makes me ashamed to be human.

seems the most common one is people asking am i gay, usually this is because my mates a dick and insists on telling people i am, although it does amuse me when i tell them im not and they end up all embarrased

anthony87:
"Why do you have a beard?"
or
"Why do you grow your hair so long?"

BECAUSE I FUCKING LIKE HOW MY HAIR AND BEARD LOOK OKAY!?!?

*hi five*
Yay for the bearded long haired men out there!

It's only my family that gives me grief over it to be honest, most people I know quite like it, or are indifferent at any rate.

Though sometimes people ask why I'd like a film like Toy story 3 or Up. That's the kind of thing that would make me seriously consider punching them.

It's so tempting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P87DS3aY4w

What are you thinking?

THE RAAAAAAGE!!!!

"So you wouldn't nail [insert female celebrity name here] then?"

NO! What part of "I'm gay" are these blithering fuckwits not understanding!? Ah fuck it annoys me so much!

Rascarin:

This pisses me off too. Well, with me it's "Are you sure you just haven't met the right girl yet?" but it's still really, REALLY annoying.

And then of course, there's self-concious straight guys asking me if I'd do them. This one isn't SO bad, but it's their responses when I say 'no' that annoy me. If they can't take me theoretically shooting them down, WHY did they ask? And they're straight, what do they care if a gay guy doesn't want to ride them!? Fuckers...

adding more:
"When did you choose you were gay?"
"So do you think that guy's hot?" *points to random dude*

Funny, I don't think I HAVE moments like these. Like...the questions that I'm ever asked seem to be wide and varied enough.

"What are you thinking about?"
...none of your business.

"Why did you forget to do x/y/z?"
...you answered your own question.

"Can I have my meds?"
...it's 5 o'clock in the morning, fuck off.

not exactly a question, but it pisses me off regardless: "You should play football/basketball"

I get told this often just because of the fact that apparently they can't comprehend that someone 6' 6" has no interest in mainstream sports.

Aside from that, the annoying question is when i'm asked "do you work here" when i'm on the clock and i'm wearing my uniform

....*sigh* a little observation goes a long way.

When people learn I have a History major, they ALWAYS ask "So you're going to be a teacher?"

No, I don't particularly want to be a teacher. There's plenty of other things to do with a History major than become a teacher (museum curator, archivist, historical author, public historian, etc.)

Distorted Stu:
"Is it in yet" >_<

that made me laugh so much :D

mine has to be 'you know that if you join the forces you'll need to get a haircut, right?'
yes. yes I had figured that out.

"Can I wear your glasses?"

I seem to be a magnet for that question. Nobody else I know with glasses gets asked that and yet, I do? Oh well, I suppose it's a neat ice-breaker.

Distorted Stu:
"Is it in yet" >_<

HE has a NAME you know

He also has feelings :(

What are you going to do with your degree is my big one. That and when are you going to get a job. Um... when they hire me would be my best guess.

Either 'when are you two getting married' or, relatedly, 'why don't you want kids?'

We will get married when we can get a home without putting ourselves into crushing debt... in other words, when we can find full-time work instead of part-time. Not that easy right now. This is usually followed with 'but why don't you just do this or that?' Look, NO, OK?! We aren't going to be idiots and push beyond what we know we can afford even if things start to go bad, just to do things the way you think we need to.

As for the kids thing... it's mostly co-workers, and you'd think the screaming babies and spoiled brats being literally pulled out of the store by their parents (or pissing on the product once in awhile) might be kind of a tipoff as to why. But to put it better- we both feel that, when you have a child, that instantly becomes the most important thing in your life. You sacrifice everything you need to for that child. And quite simply- maybe selfishly- we just aren't willing to do that.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here