March Mayhem Top 64 Announced

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

As promised, the field of 64 who will be battling it out in the 2011 March Mayhem: Developer's Showdown.

2K MarinEA CanadaMojang ABSCEA
Santa Monica
BethesdaEA TiburonNamco BandaiSilicon Knights
BioWareEpicNaughty DogSony Online Entertainment
CD ProjektFiraxisNeversoftSquareEnix
BlizzardGame FreakNintendoTeam ICO
BungieGearboxObsidianTeam Meat
CapcomGuerrilla GamesPlatinum GamesTellTale Games
CCPHAL LaboratoryPolyphony DigitalThe Behemoth
Creative AssemblyHarmonixPopCapTreyarch
CriterionInsomniacQuantic DreamTurbine
CrypticIrrationalRareUbisoft Montreal
CrytekKonamiRelicValve
devCAT (Nexon)Level 5RemedyVisceral Games
DICELionheadRockstar NorthVolition
Disney InteractiveLucasArtsRockstar San DiegoRovio
Double Fine ProductionsMedia MoleculeRocksteadyZynga

Go Valve & Blizzard. :D

I'm surprised Nexon is on there though, hehe. xD

Well, I already know the one developer I will be backing all the way, no matter what.
If it comes down to that one facing another of my favourites, well, easy choice, Mojang will easily be the choice I make >.>

I bet the odds this year will be a little more stacked towards the casuals (although I work at a bookies and I didn't catch the latest in-play betting on this event - bizarre).
Personally I can't stand Zynga and all that they stand for, but didn't they do surprisingly well last year?! Certainly took me by surprise.

C'mon Bioware! You did so well last year!
You're my pick, just like every year!

*GASP*! And Mojang is on there!! MINECRAFT!
Well played, Escapist Magazine...well played.

Treyarch has replaced Infinity Ward or something? Fair enough, I guess.

As long as Quantic Dream is still there, I'm fine.

Aand... Mojang? Is that the Minecraft one?

probably gonna vote for Mojang, Valve and team ICO

Batfred:
I bet the odds this year will be a little more stacked towards the casuals (although I work at a bookies and I didn't catch the latest in-play betting on this event - bizarre).
Personally I can't stand Zynga and all that they stand for, but didn't they do surprisingly well last year?! Certainly took me by surprise.

Yes but only because they spammed all their game players with messages telling them to come to this site and vote for them. Oooooor was the the Webbys?
Someone correct me if im wrong please.

Blizzarded Soul:

Batfred:

Yes but only because they spammed all their game players with messages telling them to come to this site and vote for them. Oooooor was the the Webbys?

That was the MM last year, I'm sure. I bet they offered a free pig in Farmville or an extra aquarium background in Fishtown or whatever it was called. Either way though, clever marketing and well done them.... gits! They probably even got people to pay 5 to get an extra vote, it wouldn't surprise me (in case you are wondering, that's why I don't like them.... and yes, it is similar to DLC, I don't like that either when it comes out on game release day).

Blizzarded Soul:

Batfred:

Everyone asked their communities to participate through blogs, facebook and patchers. However we have a couple gates people have to go through just to vote this year, so that should help.

Not Zynga again! That's it, this time we kill it with fire!

GO VALVE!

JourneyThroughHell:

Aand... Mojang? Is that the Minecraft one?

Yep, that it is.

I'm disappointed that Turn 10 didn't get into the competition but what can you do, huh? This is a good list and it should be fun to watch the contest unravel, from a bunker about 600 miles away. And I predict Mojang will get far and cause a few upsets too.

Should be good this year.

Well, there are a lot of names i haven't even heard of before. But i guess when March comes, then I'll find out. And yay, Zynga is here... I doubt I'll be voting for it, though i played a lot of mafia wars last year. I think I'll just stick to the one's i did last year: Valve and some others.

Poor Square Enix is like Indiana University. Had an undefeated season a while back. Perennial contenders with their controversial leader. Then when he left amid animosity, the program has struggled. I don't see them making it out of the Round of 32 alive.

Game Freak is like Gonzaga. Rely too heavily on a one superstar to carry them.

Bungie is like Duke. Another hot recruiting class and the most loyal fanbase. But everyone else finds them insufferable, and the fans can be downright obnoxious at the best of times.

Mojang is St. Marys. Hot team coming out of nowhere with solid play in a weak conference. I don't think they have the big game experience to pull this off.

Bethesda is North Carolina. They have a good team this year, but not the overwhelming power of previous years, and their seniors are showing wear and tear.

Blizzard is like Kentucky. They trot out the same style, the same go to moves year after year. And why? Because nobody has figured out how to stop them yet. Add in the return of foreign player from injured reserve, they could be scary.

Valve is like Pitt. Tons of hot players that can get from every angle and get in your face. They're gonna have to fight hard, but they can do that.

Rockstar San Diego is Texas. Super player that won/is winning player of the year. Can the chemistry pull them through?

Finally, Nintendo is Kansas, a team with history, that brought and a new team this year and is making strides. Do they have what it takes to take on more talented crews?

NameIsRobertPaulson:
Poor Square Enix is like Indiana University. Had an undefeated season a while back. Perennial contenders with their controversial leader. Then when he left amid animosity, the program has struggled. I don't see them making it out of the Round of 32 alive.

Game Freak is like Gonzaga. Rely too heavily on a one superstar to carry them.

Bungie is like Duke. Another hot recruiting class and the most loyal fanbase. But everyone else finds them insufferable, and the fans can be downright obnoxious at the best of times.

Mojang is St. Marys. Hot team coming out of nowhere with solid play in a weak conference. I don't think they have the big game experience to pull this off.

Bethesda is North Carolina. They have a good team this year, but not the overwhelming power of previous years, and their seniors are showing wear and tear.

Blizzard is like Kentucky. They trot out the same style, the same go to moves year after year. And why? Because nobody has figured out how to stop them yet. Add in the return of foreign player from injured reserve, they could be scary.

Valve is like Pitt. Tons of hot players that can get from every angle and get in your face. They're gonna have to fight hard, but they can do that.

Rockstar San Diego is Texas. Super player that won/is winning player of the year. Can the chemistry pull them through?

Finally, Nintendo is Kansas, a team with history, that brought and a new team this year and is making strides. Do they have what it takes to take on more talented crews?

Bravo! A fellow sports nut such as myself! *applause* Well done on the comparison write-up.

Spinwhiz:

Everyone asked their communities to participate through blogs, facebook and patchers. However we have a couple gates people have to go through just to vote this year, so that should help.

What "gates" and will they apply to existing members?

Marq:

Spinwhiz:

What "gates" and will they apply to existing members?

As of now, an agreement form. It's basically a form with all of the rules on it so everyone can see them. All you have to do is read through it, "accept" the terms and then you can post and vote.

This agreement form will also state the rules of the March Mayhem forums.

"Zynga"

Welp, here we go.

Ah, another year of madness. Great. Well I'll be voting up Valve, Bioware and Mojang AB. Hopefully Zynga won't get so close to winning this year.

Lots of great devs.

But I'm disappointed to see Zynga on the list. I have nothing against casual/Facebook games, but Zynga's business practices (even reported here on The Escapist) have been borderline illegal (e.g. installing spyware on your computer, selling your info, copy-pasting other people's code).

I'd rather see the developer's of Castle Age or PlayFish Games get the nomination.

>Zynga

Very funny, but we all know this is a joke since nobody would seriously them on this list since most of us now know that code thieves have no place alongside battle-hardened pioneers like Nintendo, Blizzard, and Valve. Who is the actual 64th developer?

How does/did the selection process work?

Go valve!, go valve!, go valve!

Mojang is on there? FUCK YEAH!

But Zynga makes a return? That is totally sad-face worthy.

:(

tough choices this year i dearly love a lot of these developers but only one developer has given me a game that i wont easilly get bored of and i can loose large tracks of time in
MOJANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! minecraft all the way
(and on a side note i hate zynga right now

GiantRaven:
How does/did the selection process work?

We have an in-house team work on it with a handful of different variables.

For those of you upset about Zynga, you have a vote and a tweet. Use them to your advantage.

Can you at least diminish...

A. The complaints if Valve, Bioware, Blizzard and (at some extent) Square Enix gets eliminated. (They are the most vocals ones.)
B. Flamewars.
C. Trolls (Yes, they do appear mostly during this time of year).

Go relic!

I can't wait for the Mayhem to begin. I don't know who I'm going to root for with Atlus gone, but I am rooting for as exiting a March as last year.

Oh good, Zynga is back, that should make things fun. I wonder if people will have to call in /b/ to stop them again :P

Random Argument Man:
Can you at least diminish...

A. The complaints if Valve, Bioware, Blizzard and (at some extent) Square Enix gets eliminated. (They are the most vocals ones.)
B. Flamewars.
C. Trolls (Yes, they do appear mostly during this time of year).

A) Hard to say. There are always people who take March Mayhem just a bit too seriously.

B) Yes, most definitely. We have very easy-to-follow rules this year. Those who don't follow them are gone.

C) See B.

Oh god not Zynga again that makes me sad-face.

Well Bioware will be getting my votes again this year. There's a lot of great developers on there this year. Looking forward to it.

Valve again? So much for any notions of respectability.

Zynga? Goddamn it, KILL IT WITH FIRE, PEOPLE.

Looking forward to see how this will play out.
I hope I don't have to choose between Valve, Blizzard, or Mojang, though. That would be a rather traumatic experience for me.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked