80s babies, do you feel old around 90s babies?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I was born in 1983 and I just remember playing my NES on a small black and white tv in my bedroom. No remote for the tv LOL.

Deshin:
I was born in 88, I feel your pain :(

I remember coming home and playing on the PlayStation, back when Crash Bandicoot was Sony's answer to Mario. Pokemon was all the rage and I was considered god-teir for having Yellow (with matching GameBoy Colour, YES COLOUR, I was pimpin) and all 3 starters.

sometimes I wonder if time warps exist between continents and countries o.o

In my day we played video games on a gray box that you had to plug other, smaller gray boxes into. There were no wireless controllers except for the one and we didn't use it because it was so bad. The controllers we had weren't the ergonomically designed things that fit in your hands; they were gray rectangles. Our graphics were boxy and we had to use our imaginations more often than not. The only time you ever heard about a polygon was if you were doing geometry homework.

Yes, sometimes I talk to the younger generations about the old games I used to play and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I was born in the heyday of the NES though, so there's another generation that grew up with the Odessey and the Atari.

I was born in '84. I can remember a time of dangerous playgrounds, fist fighting didn't get you expelled, no cell phones. Seriously how many of you born after 1990 can even remember not having a cell phone some where in your household.

And I remember you having to read the bio in the booklet that came with the video game to get an idea of what the hell was going on. I miss reading the bio's.

Born Sept '89, tend to have alot in common with those born in 1990, those younger than that I tend to have less in common with. Always tended to get on with people who are a year or two older than me aswell.

Also I feel like 89 is that weird year between an old and new generation of kids.

bluepilot:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
As a 1986 child, yes, yes I do. Thanks for reminding me...

Seriously though, yes because when I talk about going to arcades and playing games by the quarters, and playing the NES with all those games I get blank stares.

Occasionally I get hit on by the 90s kids and it's weird.

Yay 1986, we rule!

90s kids missed all the good cartoons

I also would personally never date someone born in the 90s. I would feel SO wrong.

I have had similar experiences of being hit on by 90s kids, it can be very disturbing.

Even more disturbing are those born after 2000. Imagine growing up with the internet. That can't be a proper childhood. I had my vhs and I liked it.

Yay!

Well they can still see them but they don't understand how cool they were when they first came out. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the shit and they think it's kinda stupid, or at least the few that I know.

I remember growing without the internet and having vhs tapes and I was happy, but then again I was little so what did I know.

God now I feel old...

Oh and get off my lawn!

Klepa:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
As a 1986 child, yes, yes I do. Thanks for reminding me...

Seriously though, yes because when I talk about going to arcades and playing games by the quarters, and playing the NES with all those games I get blank stares.

Occasionally I get hit on by the 90s kids and it's weird.

Oh yes the arcades..

I was born 1987, and while I can't really say I spent a LOT of time in arcades, I did spend time in them. When I saw the local arcade going out of business, I was sort of surprised to realize that they weren't getting a lot of customers. Then it hit me that there really isn't a reason for anyone to go to the arcades anymore. Made me feel old.
I want my arcade back. I probably wouldn't go in, but I just want it to be there..

Edit:
I wouldn't consider myself an 80's child, I don't remember any of it. However, being from crapsack Finland, we get most pop culture about 2 years later than the US. While we were rooting for He-Man, kids our age across the pond were getting bored of pokemon.

There's an arcade near where I live and it's not the same. You go in, pay whatever you want, they give you a card with that money on it, and that's how you play the games there. You don't even win back credits, it's so lame.

Also, you never get old of pokemon, if you did, you probably were going for the trend at the time than the actual game.

Ubermetalhed:
Born Sept '89, tend to have alot in common with those born in 1990, those younger than that I tend to have less in common with. Always tended to get on with people who are a year or two older than me aswell.

Also I feel like 89 is that weird year between an old and new generation of kids.

yeah, 89 is that weird year, especially for us born towards the end of that year. Unlike most 80s babies we were pretty much still in diapers, crawling around and learning how to walk in the early 90s. So, there is a bit of identity thing going on there, because we're almost young enough to be 90s babies, yet we aren't...

I was born in 1993. I feel old around people that were born in 1995 onwards. Damn kids, running on my lawn...

The Afrodactyl:
I was born in 1993. I feel old around people that were born in 1995 onwards. Damn kids, running on my lawn...

my sisters best friend, who is pretty much like my little sister was born in 1993. I always tease her about it being past her bed time, even though she is a 17 year old senior in high school lol

Superfly2008:

The Afrodactyl:

my sisters best friend, who is pretty much like my little sister was born in 1993. I always tease her about it being past her bed time, even though she is a 17 year old senior in high school lol

Lol, I do this to my Gf, who was born in 1994 xD

god yes! my last girlfriend was 10 years younger than me (i'm 30, she was 20). it always made me feel incredibly old to realize that so many memories i took for granted were either before she was born or when she was too young to remember them. hell, when i was hitting puberty, she was still pooping her diapers. /shudder

I was born in 82, this whole thread made me feel ancient

oldskoolandi:
I was born in 82, this whole thread made me feel ancient

Born in 1980, so imagine how I feel.

Yeah, I sometimes feel old, but it's more a feeling of disbelief that I'm supposed to be old(er) compared to most of my friends since I still enjoy childish things and generally have fun as much as possible.

What really surprised me was some fellow students in my Japanese class are not even half my age. That somewhat bites.

I've never thought of myself old compared to those born in the 90s. I grew up in the 90s and don't really care about peoples age if they're mature. I was born in 89 also btw.

I do feel old around them ('81 here). Right now, actually, my neighbor is blaring his "young person" music.. Linkin Park and other emo/numetal crap (probably newer, probably inspired by Linkin Park, if that's possible). I fight back with Fugazi, Gang of Four, and other "my-music-has-integrity" bands (and some "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows" for good measure), and we got a nice solid feud goin' on. So I guess the proximity makes me feel old, but then I act really young and petty.

Calumon: Neil Young? Tom Petty? Eww, that's grandpa music.

Me: Wha? "Calumon"? What's a "Calumon"; is it like one of those pokey-mans? Some shit the kids are into, no doubt.

(sorry, Jack!)

Not really I was born in 85 and no one can believe that I am almost 26...People at work when I tell them my age, are always like really I thought you were like 20 lol.

Superfly2008:

Adam Galli:
Depends when they were born. 90-93 not really 94-99 makes me feel old.

It's scary because in 3 years or less when kids born in 2000 turn 13/14 we're sure to see them here...

I was born three days ago. Got a problem with that?

It's a scary though that I have, on occasion, bean beaten at CoD by my cousin, who was born 8 days after 9/11! American Pie came out over ten years ago... Jesus christ. I'm only 20, I shouldn't feel this old.

I was born in 1988. :) Most of my friends were the same age as me.
Not too many friends who were younger than me.

And I am dating a boy who was born in 1992. :P

AmayaOnnaOtaku:

lockeslylcrit:
1980, and yes, I feel old. Thankfully, I make up for it by keeping up with current tech and games. Born a gamer, live a gamer, die a gamer. That's pretty much the only thing that I have in common with you whipper-snappers.

Also born in 1980 and get off our lawn!
(j/k)

Also 1980. What does our lawn like, a damn public park? Now beat it, you filthy lil' moppets. I'm gonna take away your ball and call your mom.

The weird thing as a gamer is that, while I do feel old sometimes, I then realize that I got to experience most of the evolution of entertainment software first-hand. For instance, about a week after I was born, this game was the hot new release:

About a month before my birthday this year, this game will probably be the big seller:

The part of my life that I've spent goofing off in front of a computer screen has been a crazy ride.

I was born in 1985 and yes, i do feel old around people born in the '90s. :(

Paksenarrion:

And then they hit on me like I'm one of them. ^_^

That's a great opportunity to infiltrate their ranks and spy on them. :D

Born in late 1989, I started feeling old even before I was a legal adult. It's not even just those who are younger than me either; I miss the days when I wasn't disgusted by my own body.

Not just the games but what toys the children are playing with. I saw a little 3 yr old girl with a strawberry shortcake doll. Plus consider what computers were like when we were young compared to what the 90's kids had. My First computer was a TI-99!

Uncreation:
I was born in 1985 and yes, i do feel old around people born in the '90s. :(

Paksenarrion:

And then they hit on me like I'm one of them. ^_^

That's a great opportunity to infiltrate their ranks and spy on them. :D

I'm not sure this is such a great plan...

*infiltrates ranks of teenage boys*

Teenage boys: "Bros before hos! I herd you like mudkips! Over 9000!"

Me: "FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-"

86 baby here. I find that my buddies and I are already having those "back in our day" talks when referring to mid 90s babies and onwards.

I think the biggest indicator of the age difference (albeit small) is technology. I didn't get a cell phone until I was in my 3rd year of university. Nowadays, I see kids aged 8+ texting their friends and frequenting social networking sites. I remember when I was their age, the most technology I had was when I got to occasionally play Rise of the Triad and Lode Runner on our old crappy computer.

I know exactly what you're saying? It's not so bad now, but when 90s kid meant without question that they were in their early teens, those were awkward times and I hated all "90s kids"

Azrael the Cat:
Born in 78. Yes.

Me too.

I don't actually see much difference between the generations really. The trends change but it's all the same really.

I was born in the 70s like a small handful here, I guess we're the Gen X geezers around these parts to you Gen Y and Z guys. I remember feeling really old for the first time in my life when I was in my mid 20s back around 2000 or so. At that time a lot of born in the 80s kids used to make me feel ancient because it seemed like people born after 1981 had little memory of the 80s. Now I see people born in the 90s talking about how THEY feel old and it's a mind bender. I mean I was born in 1975 and I'm technically old enough to be the parent of anyone born in the 90s. Even though I'm 35, people tell me I look really young and I get mistaken for 24 or 25 all the time, so I get these 18-20 year old girls born in 1991 or 1992 flirting with me from time to time. I guess they figure I must be some mid 20s guy. Although many of them can be really cute, I'd feel like a total perv trying anything with anyone with that much of an age gap. Those girls would probably freak when they found out my real age anyways.

Anyway for those of you wanting to know what the 80s and 90s were like (wow I can't believe I just typed that), honestly guys it wasn't all that different from now. It was simply different fashions, technology, and world politics. MTV, VCRs, camcorders, home computers and video games were all high concept in the 80s. Mainly because a lot of this wasn't really around in the 1970s. In the 90s world wide web internet use, emailing, online chatting and mainstream cell phone use were considered really high concept stuff. Before the mid-late 90s only the rich had cell phones or "car phones" as they were once called. That was high concept stuff in the 80s. All that is routine today so when you look back to the 80s and 90s it makes it look quaint and simple. All I can say guys is that its part of the circle of life and as you get older, you learn an acceptance. But that mid 20s transition period is probably the hardest to go through, just because it's tough leaving the youth culture behind and moving into being "one of the adults". And what is high concept today will one day become passe.

Born in 1991 and always liked how that was a palindrome, but holy shit I'm turning 20 this year and looking at the shit the current generation of kids like makes me feel fucking old. (Just came from that Rebecca Black "Friday" music video thread, urgh)

1975, baby. I remember when MTV debuted.

huh, spellcheck recognizes MTV. But not spellcheck O_o

I was born in the Year of the Embarassed Toaster, which is 1973 for those you who insist on staying with outmoded calendars.

The more I think about it, you're only as old as you feel. But for us 70s babies, I think it is weird to see the 90s kids emerge, since we are in theory old enough to be their parents. Really young parents, but parents nevertheless. I was born in 1975 so techinically I could be the parent of someone born in 1990, starting out as a 9th grader father though, haha. 10 years ago I understood how people born in the 60s thought of us 70s babies when the 80s babies started to emerge as young adults/teens, now I get how Baby Boomer people born in the 1950s must have viewed us 70s babies back in the early 1990s. I still remember comedians making jokes about us, that they thought it was scary that people born in the 70s could now vote. At the time I thought, what a bunch of old farts...hehe, now I get how they felt. It's one thing when your kid brothers/sisters or younger cousins grow into high schoolers and young adults, quite another when people that could be your kids start driving and entering college.

Nah, not really. Why?

As someone born in the 70s, this thread makes me feel old........no wait, that's the joint pain making me feel old....nevermind. The generation gap is a funny thing that isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked