Lilo and Stitch, Anime Ruined the Show!! (Rant)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hey there fellow Escapists. I'm not sure on how you feel about this (since awhile ago, Lilo and Stitch was cancled) but I recently found out that there is an Anime based off the series called 'Stitch! ~ The Mischievous Alien's Great Adventure' directed by Masami Hata (first season) and then 'Stitch! ~Best Friends Forever~' directed by Tetsuya Endo (second season) within the Madhouse, Walt Disney Animation Japan Studios.

What literally upsets me is that not only did they cancle Lilo and Stitch (which I enjoyed the shows), but in the anime.. there is no Lilo!!. She shows up later of course, but in a way that gets to me and ruins my childhood memories. If you want to get more information about this Anime on Stitch, then click Here for Wikipedia. Otherwise, let me explain please.. *ahem*

In the Anime, Stitch is in space being bad because he wants to be the strongest within the universe. He ends up in Japan to be friends with a girl named Yuna who lives in Okinawa. This is already an issue- they replaced Lilo and have this girl that has no issues, no real characteristics, and someone we cannot bond with. Furthermore, I watched a few episodes and it is just so.. random. I don't mean like funny random, I mean like out of the blue random which makes Stich out of character too so it throws me off. The worst part of my rant is this- When Lilo does show up in the second season, she has a daughter already and moves on without wanting to see Stitch. What the crap?! When they do reunite, it is touching but the whole reason about the split is utterly flawed plus after Lilo has Stitch stay with his new family. Bullcrap.. here watch this video and I know it has no sounds but you must see this:

Her daughter looks just like Lilo (even her red hawaiian shirt looked the same when Lilo was little) and Lilo is a single parent obviously. What doesn't add up is that (if you saw the video) Lilo grew up and moved on by going to College. Stitch was lonely on the beach feeling betrayed so he left her, thus later that day Lilo broke down seeing how she lost Stitch. She was late because Nani was having a baby.. thus Lilo obviously moved on without having Jumba try to find him. The Anime is overall completely not relatable to how the characters should be. I know the show well enough to say that if Lilo was going to College, she would of taken Stitch and that she'd hide him there to always be with him. Or if Stitch didn't have Lilo come that day, he would of been worried instead and searched for Lilo by seeing her relatives (like Nani) asking where is she at. Not to assume, but I feel like the producers who made this Anime did not watch close enough to Lilo and Stitch to understand how close they really are.

Sorry for this incredibly long rant, but I felt like I just had to do this. People also say that the reason Lilo and Stitch split up was because Lilo found a boyfriend and didn't have time for Stitch so she brushed him off (which is utterly bullcrap too, because they wouldn't drift apart that way) and what even insults me more is that at the end of the video- Lilo doesn't even want to spend time or bond with Stitch but rather have him stay with his new family. She doesn't act like Lilo at all and puts her job over him when back then everything about Stitch is what made her happy and family. Watch this video and see if that would really happen like what the Anime displayed:

Exactly. The show of Lilo and Stitch may of been a little cheesy cause of the whole 'cousins' ideal, but overall the Movie itself brought forth such a strong meaning. And then the Anime ruins it. So I shall forget about the Anime- but remember: It isn't Japan's fault for this, it is the Producer's fault for not following up right on the show so I blame him for all of this.

This Anime shouldn't even be considered real and I know I may be overreacting, but when somethines so precious to you, your childhood memories, is ruined by stuff like that.. it can be devistating. What are your thoughts about this guys?

Eh, you want to see a bad anime remake, just go out and watch the abominations that are the Japanese versions of Tartakovsky cartoons. The Powerpuff girls anime makes me want to vomit.

Soviet Heavy:
Eh, you want to see a bad anime remake, just go out and watch the abominations that are the Japanese versions of Tartakovsky cartoons. The Powerpuff girls anime makes me want to vomit.

..Ah- I remember that. I didn't even want to bring that up *shrugs* ..Mm, to painful honestly for me to think back on some other childhood memories that got to me. This, however.. with Stitch was just crossing the line is why I brought this up Haha.

Ahhhh, I remember the Lilo and Stich movie. Very well made animated movie, it's not overly bright, mostly diluted, like many 2D animated movies these days (case in point: the sequel to the movie), and the animation itself is very well done.

I have long since forgotten about the shows, though I find it...odd to say the least that it has an anime. Weird.

Soviet Heavy:

They fucking remade the Powerpuff girls? In anime form? Couldn't they have just pulled the same shit we do to their cartoons and give it a bad dub? And let their versions of our anime freaks go off and watch the sub anyway?

Interesting. I imagine a lot of that has to do with localization. I mean, just look at the way 4 Kids localized One Piece for the US. Replacing the cigarette with the lollipop, changing all the beer to juice, changing the weapons to be "less violent, editing out most of the blood, and even turning rice balls into cheeseburgers. All of that was done so that it would better appeal to American audiences, according to their committees who decide those things.

They probably got the new protagonist so that the little girl could be Japanese, and thus more relatable. In order to do that, they had to get rid of Lilo and find some new reason for Stitch to be on earth. As for the rest of the plot, I have no clue.

This is all very interesting, though. I would have thought Disney would have taken better care of their intellectual property than that. I guess they just handed the basic concept to their Japanese studio and said "Here, have fun."

I didn't know this existed and shall continue to ignore it. Lilo and Stitch was the sole reason I kept the kids channels on the Sky package. But from your rant I can see that I wouldn't like it.

Lilani:
Interesting. I imagine a lot of that has to do with localization. I mean, just look at the way 4 Kids localized One Piece for the US. Replacing the cigarette with the lollipop, changing all the beer to juice, changing the weapons to be "less violent, editing out most of the blood, and even turning rice balls into cheeseburgers. All of that was done so that it would better appeal to American audiences, according to their committees who decide those things.

They probably got the new protagonist so that the little girl could be Japanese, and thus more relatable. In order to do that, they had to get rid of Lilo and find some new reason for Stitch to be on earth. As for the rest of the plot, I have no clue.

This is all very interesting, though. I would have thought Disney would have taken better care of their intellectual property than that. I guess they just handed the basic concept to their Japanese studio and said "Here, have fun."

You make a very strong point of course, I admire that and that does make sense to appeal the Japanese audience since it is being taken place in Japan after all. But, it still screws over the whole basic moral that Lilo and Stitch had together, making the Movie stand out so strongly plus the series (which isn't as good, but still I liked the concept). Not to mention their plot on replacing Lilo sucks utterly in the first place and doesn't add up to their characteristics. It just wouldn't happen like that- I would know.

Oh and I did see the series of One Piece in english.. they really overdid the 'censoring' on violence for kids. They should of just left things as it was and had maybe a warning label before the show started rather then tweaking everything, making the show very ..dull in my opinion. The Japanese version rocks, I can tell you that for sure Haha.

Disney doesn't care about anything anymore. They just have whatever now, not trying to make such inspiring movies or shows anymore.. it is all 'action' shows like the Real World but in Disney style with their very 'ironic' sense of humor in everything. I seriously am dissapointed in Disney for not taking care of its products or trying at least.

What do you expect?It's not like Disney is known for getting things right.
Case in point :Spears,Hilton,Cyrus

XxRyanxX:
Disney doesn't care about anything anymore. They just have whatever now, not trying to make such inspiring movies or shows anymore.. it is all 'action' shows like the Real World but in Disney style with their very 'ironic' sense of humor in everything. I seriously am dissapointed in Disney for not taking care of its products or trying at least.

Disney is slowly on its way back, though. Now that Michael Eisner is out and Bob Iger is in, things are beginning to make a turn for the better. I mean, just look at the new Winnie the Pooh movie coming out later this year--in the tradition of the first one. The animation looks gorgeous, and it's returning to the characters and stories that made them great. It will take some time for it to trickle to the rest of the company, but once they get a few more new successes under their belt I think Disney will make a great comeback.

All we can do at this point is hope that common sense soon prevails in their television sector :-)

Once again, the voice actor who's in everything is the only one who can describe my reaction to Stitch being in the Japanese equivalent of Hawaii:
There goes my childhood. Again.

Well i dont care about Lilo&stitch that much, its one of the disney movies i skipped. But if it were my childhood memory made into some terrible ripoff, i could feel with you. Luckily my big childhood disneymovie already IS a cheap rip-off, but nevertheless, lionking is the best and i went to the cinema at least 5 times. But still its a complete ripoff of Kimba, witch i also knew before.

What do you expect? It's Japan.

Did anyone play the game on PS2?

Such fun.

Wait, why the fuck wasn't I playing MGS or Timesplitters?

Consider it bad fan fiction if it makes you mad. Frankly what you described seems like a logical story line that might happen when it's time for Lilo to move to college. Granted I wouldn't expect Stitch to high tail it to Japan, but I could easily see Lilo wanting to keep him back in Hawaii since he can easily cause trouble. You have to remember that the whole dynamic between Lilo & Stitch is based pretty much on the fact that Lilo is an immature child with views and morals as such.

Yes, the Japanese adaptation of the series does stretch things a bit much but the reason for the initial separation does hold some merit. What would make more sense is that Lilo heads off to college and leaves Stitch at home for his own good. Stitch spends some time being pissy that Lilo left him behind and eventually goes AWOL to follow her to college. Jumba and Pleakly follow Stitch because for some reason or another they've been told there will be grave consequences if he causes trouble outside of Hawaii.

Story arc ensues where Stitch comes to terms with Lilo being at college and bam. You've got the making of another direct to dvd movie and the possible setup for another series.

Well, cool.

A pretty much official canon followup to a beloved Disney cartoon that changes everything it stood for.

Way to go with outsourcing, Disney.

Japan.

FUCK OFF
I beg you leave the Western characters and cartoons alone.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerpuff_Girls_Z This made me wheep.

The third movie was what ruined and the second wasnt that great, just an excuse to launch the series....which was okay.

josemlopes:
This
http://www.cracked.com/article_18655_9-beloved-characters-made-horrifying-by-japan.html

And yet it doesnt talk about the PowerPuff Girls.

think its because it wasn't shown in the US outside of the Philippines on boomerang.

also, Why is alucard on there? He isn't exactly an abomination to the source material.

direkiller:

josemlopes:
This
http://www.cracked.com/article_18655_9-beloved-characters-made-horrifying-by-japan.html

And yet it doesnt talk about the PowerPuff Girls.

think its because it wasn't shown in the US outside of the Philippines on boomerang.

also, Why is alucard on there? He isn't exactly an abomination to the source material.

I liked the Helling OVA. BTW The material that site was pretty funny.

Are they running out of weird stuff to show?

KeyMaster45:
Consider it bad fan fiction if it makes you mad. Frankly what you described seems like a logical story line that might happen when it's time for Lilo to move to college. Granted I wouldn't expect Stitch to high tail it to Japan, but I could easily see Lilo wanting to keep him back in Hawaii since he can easily cause trouble. You have to remember that the whole dynamic between Lilo & Stitch is based pretty much on the fact that Lilo is an immature child with views and morals as such.

Yes, the Japanese adaptation of the series does stretch things a bit much but the reason for the initial separation does hold some merit. What would make more sense is that Lilo heads off to college and leaves Stitch at home for his own good. Stitch spends some time being pissy that Lilo left him behind and eventually goes AWOL to follow her to college. Jumba and Pleakly follow Stitch because for some reason or another they've been told there will be grave consequences if he causes trouble outside of Hawaii.

Story arc ensues where Stitch comes to terms with Lilo being at college and bam. You've got the making of another direct to dvd movie and the possible setup for another series.

I perfectly understand where you're coming from with this. That situation would make a whole lot more sense.. but no, they decide for Stitch (without even trying to find Lilo) to run away and leave Lilo for 20 years.. to a point Lilo has a child. That and she wanted Stitch to stay with his 'new' family when Jumba and Peklie are her family too. So like the series is screwed up and to me is the worst fan fiction ever written because I grew attached to Lilo and Stitch (especially the first movie, it moved me).

I feel offended because it seemed like the producer didn't value what Lilo and Stitch had, and went with his own thing. He introduces us a japanese girl to be Stitch's new friend which she has no problems, no purpose.. and especially no difficulties to get over. Lilo was unique because she had much character and that is why Lilo is an important character. This girl Yuna is like not even a side-based character with some significance. She's like those one episode-siding characters you wouldn't remember for very long. Look at these pictures and tell me if they would ever seriously split apart like the Anime did.

Come on, clearly all these photos and more tell you something. Besides- how could Lilo give up on a little alien that changed their lives. Plus, Stitch is way to attached to Lilo to ever abandon her period. Like, what could Stitch possibly do for 20 years without her? One episode showed him going mad since Lilo was away at dancing school and he visited her there spite Lilo telling him to go because she didn't want Stitch to cause problems. He loves her to much, so this whole Stitch! Anime is a bunch of crap if you ask me. No offense.. and sorry for the ranting my Friend Haha. I admire your response and I thank you for it really.

I bet the anime nerds in japan are saying the same thing about us ruining some shows.

I mean, isn't Yugioh alot more adult in Japan?

I didn't watch the show, I rarely watch follow up stuff like the Direct to Video sequels or anything, but Lilo and Stich was one of my favorite movies. I can watch that with my kids and not feel like it's dumming me down. WHY take something that is proven to be good and sequel the hell out of it?! Did no one down the line look at that and go, "Hey, maybe we should just have Lilo move to japan for awhile or do some sort of exchange student thing as a teen. Or... um... leave it like it is and sell it as a limited edition Disney Vault thing... like everything else..." But no, someone thought, "LET'S ANIME THIS! GETS ME MORE KAPTAIN CRUNCH NOW! NOM NOM NOM! IT MAKE GOOD ANIME NOM NOM NOM!"

Commercializing something good is not a bad thing. Overworking something is a bad thing. Look constructively at something you loved as a child and then look at any sequel or remake work made. Did it make it better or worse? 9/10 will say that it made it worse.

Ldude893:
What do you expect? It's Japan.

Could you please elaborate?

CommanderKirov:
Japan.

FUCK OFF
I beg you leave the Western characters and cartoons alone.

Why don't you blame the people who were acutely responsible? Disney was the one who hired the animation studio.

XxRyanxX:

KeyMaster45:

Oh I totally agree that both Stitch and Lilo's behavior seems to veer way off course from what we've seen, and the fact that no one bothered to look for him is even more baffling. If I remember the end of the movie correctly Stitch is supposed to serve his sentence of exile on earth under the stipulation he remains in Lilo's care.

It raises many other questions as well aside from why didn't anyone look for him.(you'd think at least Jumba and Pleekly would search for him cause he can be a right terror if not watched closely) What about Agent Bubbles (think that was his name) I would think he would want to keep very close tabs on not only the experiments living on the various Hawaiian islands but on Stitch as well. Are we to assume he and the US government just let Stitch drop off the radar for 20 some odd years?

I've yet to actually see this spin off series, but already there's numerous holes in the base premise for it alone. I'll have to actually take a look at a couple episode to make judgment on whether it's good or not. For now though I can say with certainty it's built on a very shaky foundation story wise.

-EDIT-
Hmm, well it would appear no fansubbing groups picked it up when it first went on the air back in 2008. Only one made it to episode 3 and far as I can tell they're no longer around. Mostly due to lack of interest thanks to there already being the US series and because apparently Disney stuff doesn't get fansubbed. Not surprised though, the show was obscure enough that it seems not many people knew about it till this thread. (I know I sure didn't) It does, however, seem to have an english dub set to premiere on Disney Channel this year, with the usual heavy handed changes for a US localization.

I was going to ask how this could possibly be a part of your childhood, but you're younger than me?!

Only by a few months, but wow. Wasn't expecting that.

To be more on-topic: I don't see the big deal. Don't watch the show. That solves most problems.

Fanon Discontinuity was made for stuff like this. Since you're already watching a fictional universe, I don't see anything wrong with controlling its rules on your own. If an adaptation offends you, cast it out of your memory.

TeeBs:
I bet the anime nerds in japan are saying the same thing about us ruining some shows.

I mean, isn't Yugioh alot more adult in Japan?

We didn't exactly extend the life of the show and add characters that aren't needed. Though it was 4Kids and the anime is about card games solving everything in life.

On Topic: Yeah, this is pretty bad. Lilo and Stitch was pretty good back when it ran on TV. And it ended with a big Movie where the antagonist from the show became a good guy and the main villain was locked away for good. But this is a complete reset to zero, like a freaking Fan-Fiction or something. And the animation is terrible. Like, not even trying terrible. You can see the frames.
Ugh.
I don't hate this, but It's pretty bad.

EBHughsThe1st:
You can see the frames.

That's kind of the point.

Kingdom Hearts that's why she doesn't appear at first most likely

Risingblade:

What? Honestly are we talking about the Anime show 'Stitch!' or are we talking about the Video Game? Because.. in the game Stitch is a summoned support character that helps Sora out while in the Anime, Stitch is in Japan helping out Yuna who is a japanese girl with nothing to do with Sora.. Mm. Or you could be joking but I suck at noticing when people are serious or not so that is my bad clearly.

XxRyanxX:

Risingblade:

What? Honestly are we talking about the Anime show 'Stitch!' or are we talking about the Video Game? Because.. in the game Stitch is a summoned support character that helps Sora out while in the Anime, Stitch is in Japan helping out Yuna who is a japanese girl with nothing to do with Sora.. Mm. Or you could be joking but I suck at noticing when people are serious or not so that is my bad clearly.

What I mean is because he appeared in Birth By Sleep his popularity grew so that's why He's getting his own anime. Of course I'm just assuming that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked