what's your IQ score?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Tubez:
Over 9000!

I have to admit that made me chuckle. I've taken a few IQ tests, but I really don't take much stock in them, as the nature of the questions sometimes leaves me wondering why some random bit of knowledge equates to intelligence.

DaMullet:
Mensa told me that I had an IQ of 180. That's great and all, but it doesn't help me remember stuff.

The IQ test only goes as far a 170.

I don't know my IQ, nor do I particularly care. It's not a terribly good comparison point seeing as the test is highly flawed and everyone will lie about their results.

OT: Mine's 8, 364, 924.

Mukil:
mai IQ scroe woz 209, no lies

congrats your a savant

I'm a citizen of the internet.So my score was

OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I had to.)

CrystalShadow:

tigermilk:

CrystalShadow:

Seriously... IQ scores don't earn you anything.

Determination is 1000 times more important than IQ results.

And whoever gave you the notion that you have 'the world at your feet' if you've got a high IQ is, to be blunt, completely delusional.

With people banding about numbers around the 170 mark at that point there are grants available and if someone has that level of aptitude for numbers and logic there is a lot of research money available (well certainly a lot more than there is for the arts/social sciences.)

Grants like that aren't based on having a high IQ.

If you have a maths/physics/whatever degree, sure.

But That's independent of IQ.

IQ is a very abstract number, and not directly useful for anything. It gets used by various groups as a prediction of how good you might be at certain intellectual tasks.

But it makes no guarantee about whether a person has any social skills, ability to commit to hard work, determination, etc.

(As I said in an edit to the message you are quoting, Ironically, because people with high IQ's can in a lot of cases do well in school without really trying, it really does make it more likely they'll learn to be lazy.
Why make a huge effort when doing the bare minimum seems to be good enough?

It's only later on, when you're much older, that you realise the negative consequences that this has, and then find yourself having to work around a lifetime of bad habits.)

Fair point about effort (I regret not working at school and only discovering education in my 20's). What I was trying to say is a large amount of people on this site appear to have IQ's close to people like Stephen Hawking. If people actually have that level of aptitude then they can go very far indeed.

I must admit I am doing my Masters Degree in film and there is next to no doctoral funding so I will be going full time in my job at the call centre or getting a second job. Consequently I have very little time for or respect for people with alleged 140 IQ's who seem to have no desire to utilise their ability (that and I am pretty sure most of the people claiming very high IQ's are either delusional, mistaken or lying.

Last time i took one i got sub 100... i can act smarter though!!!

looking at the scores of others made me feel dumb until i realized i was online....

I did an I.Q test and i scored 10%, thats good, right? :P

Seriously though, i don't care what it is, i just know its bigger than yours.

Mine rather consistently hovers at just over 130. I think the last score I got was 134 or something.

People saying they have got like 155 are totally bullshitting.
Modern IQ tests are designed to have a median of 100, i.e. the average joe should get 100 and 95% of the world's population will score between 70-130 and to be honest i doubt this forum is composed in the 2.5% that are above average.

The most common IQ test is the Wechsler Bellevue (some light reading here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wechsler_Adult_Intelligence_Scale) series of which there are a few different tests depending on age. This test take 1.5-2 hours to complete and gives probably the most accurate contemporary definition on intelligence that can be simplified into a number. Although arguably there a different types of Intelligence (http://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/images/7/74/Multiple_intelligences_diagrammed.jpeg) and a single number won't define a person total intelligence.

Sources:
My Psychology teacher (I was talking to him about IQ tests today)
Wikipedia
Google

P.S at 9 years and 7 Months i did the Wechsler scale for children and scored 130

Tizzmarelda:
I just took an on-line IQ test on the BBC website and scored 87, Go Me! (sarcasm).
Along with your own score, feel free to say how much relevance IQ score has on ones occupational prospects and there life in general.

168 four years ago. Not a fair score, my language skills dragged up my crappy math score. I was 99.999999th percentile in language, and only 86th percentile in math.

It's been a few years...I think I was hovering around 110-120.

Taken again I'm sure it would be lower...I tend to simply forget more stuff than I learn.

I got 85 or something on the one we had in school... I always knew I am dumb as a log though (offense to logs, I know), but it doesn't bother me. I can still enjoy the things I do enjoy, and who knows maybe my simple mind is able to enjoy life more than you intelegenties.

126 when I was 15, I think.

My IQ has probably dropped considerably since then, though. Haha.

Bit more then 120.

I don't believe it, because I was in the "special" children clas when I was younger.

I've never taken an official IQ test, but I did take some sort of test when I was...7-8 I think and my score was "post-highschool" but having no reference as to that it was exactly, it doesn't mean much to me. If I were to venture a guess though, I'd say somewhere around 130. I've taken online ones just for grins, but I don't recall the scores, but I do remebered that they varied a good bit.

I haven't had a test since I was 9. Back then I scored 131.

I was tested when I was in middle school. I think I got 113 or something. I never put too much stock in it, or anybodies IQ for that matter. Most people don't get officially tested, and everyone loves to have their ego stroked by a website telling them that they are above average.

I was 13 the last time I took one. It was 138. I'm 15 now. Is that good?

EDIT: It wasn't an online thing. It was a nation-wide (I live in the U.S.)test. I was one of several chosen to take it in my school.

tigermilk:

CrystalShadow:

tigermilk:

With people banding about numbers around the 170 mark at that point there are grants available and if someone has that level of aptitude for numbers and logic there is a lot of research money available (well certainly a lot more than there is for the arts/social sciences.)

Grants like that aren't based on having a high IQ.

If you have a maths/physics/whatever degree, sure.

But That's independent of IQ.

IQ is a very abstract number, and not directly useful for anything. It gets used by various groups as a prediction of how good you might be at certain intellectual tasks.

But it makes no guarantee about whether a person has any social skills, ability to commit to hard work, determination, etc.

(As I said in an edit to the message you are quoting, Ironically, because people with high IQ's can in a lot of cases do well in school without really trying, it really does make it more likely they'll learn to be lazy.
Why make a huge effort when doing the bare minimum seems to be good enough?

It's only later on, when you're much older, that you realise the negative consequences that this has, and then find yourself having to work around a lifetime of bad habits.)

Fair point about effort (I regret not working at school and only discovering education in my 20's). What I was trying to say is a large amount of people on this site appear to have IQ's close to people like Stephen Hawking. If people actually have that level of aptitude then they can go very far indeed.

I must admit I am doing my Masters Degree in film and there is next to no doctoral funding so I will be going full time in my job at the call centre or getting a second job. Consequently I have very little time for or respect for people with alleged 140 IQ's who seem to have no desire to utilise their ability (that and I am pretty sure most of the people claiming very high IQ's are either delusional, mistaken or lying.

I would be suspicious too. But, it's impossible to say either way what's going on.

To begin with, just because someone visits a site like this doesn't mean they aren't some kind of genius, or even that they're lazy.
We could well have prominent scientists, doctors, lawyers, programmers, etc. Here, and we'd be none the wiser for it.

I know my own situation very well, but I also know nothing I can do online will allow me to prove that to anyone short of giving people personal details about me most of my friends don't even know.

Really, there's a lot of pressure on you if you're 'gifted', and your attitude exemplifies that.

"If you're a genius, why aren't you doing something amazing?"
"Don't let your talent go to waste."

Well, life just doesn't work out in such a simple way.

... It's really quite depressing knowing just how difficult it is to live up to the expectations people have of you.

Nothing I did was ever good enough for some people...
And if doing your best only elicits the response:
"You can do better. You're gifted."

Well... After a while you ask yourself what the point of it all is.

(That, and spending all your time worrying about things that are essentially unanswerable. It's enough to drive a person completely insane sometimes.)

Being gifted in some way is highly over-rated.
And what often ends up happening is that your talents in one area tend to blind everyone around you to your weaknesses in others, which makes them all the more confused when you can't cope with what they think must be easy for you.

Talent and intellect don't just vanish into thin air though. I think you'll find that 'lazy' geniuses certainly do a lot with their abilities. It's just, generally not anything the rest of society would consider very productive. (That, or they're producing things but are too scared to show it to anyone. Or, thinking up things but leaving them unfinished for lack of motivation & resources.)

Yeah, well... Whatever.

I've taken quite a few official tests and it varies substantially. Basically it average to around 175. Online tests seem to make it anywhere from 110 - 140 but they're about as accurate as throwing a dart at a board.

As for if it's any good, in a way it's useful but it's severely limited, most of the IQ tests I've taken focus on the same small fields, many had overlapping questions and I don't doubt that with some practice it would be quite plausible to greatly increase your score, something a true test of intelligence should be immune to (major work should obviously have an effect, but not just a little practice).

I think there are more important things though, I can be extremely lazy and prefer to enjoy myself than work, so as a child I suffered somewhat in exams, getting B's normally, where my peers who deigned to revise could match me. Had I attended my classes diligently and perhaps revised a little I would have outstanding results.
Similarly if you lacked emotional intelligence your life would be a lot harder, I know I'd suffer tremendously if I had no connection with people.

So I think it can be accurate but it's not very important, there are far too many factors which influence a person, reasoning, problem solving and ability to work things through mentally are not definers of brilliance.

I took a few on paper ones at my high school. Scored a 10 :D.

Last time i did an IQ test was when i was in 3rd grade in elementary. And now im 24.
I remember getting a 139 out of 160.

I'ma do another one later, i wanna know if im getting smarter or dumber (im predicting the latter though, and im gonna blame highschool for that)

I usually get around the 120 mark... But IQ tests arent how smart you are, but how well you can do that particular test... You go into a high school exam that is multiple choice, if you know the subject, you will do well, you dont know, you will do badly...

I had my IQ tested twice back when I was 2 & 4 years old, after being diagnosed with Asperger's, and I had a score of 160 both times. It's likely closer to 150 now due to being older, but it's still quite good a good score. :D

93 at age 15, unfortunately I have absolutely no idea what this means, or if it is good or not...

The_root_of_all_evil:

green_dude:
Why do these threads always have a statistically unlikely number of people with an IQ over 130? 100 is average, above 130 is the top 2.5%. Either the IQ tests you people take (or all IQ tests in general) are bloody inaccurate or this forum is full of geniuses.

More likely is that the replies to this thread are going to be only of those that have a notable IQ; given the amount of people on the forum due to ZP, I think the 100 or so that have answered are well below the 2% that would have 130+. This is, ironically, one of the things IQ is based on - ability to determine trends rather than means.

It's probably a whole number of little factors, without having access to a whole shit-ton of statistics we won't actually know though.

However, I'd be willing to guess that the percentage of people who viewed the thread and percentage of people posting with uber IQs don't match up, even assuming the Escapist user base has a high average IQ.

green_dude:

It's probably a whole number of little factors, without having access to a whole shit ton of statistics though we won't actually know.

Indeed, but I think we can safely say that it's people who have a more remarkable score who are more likely to post. IQ measures brainpower in the same way that BMI measures fat though.
I.E. Not at all.

130, as an average, 144 highest.

...Quite high.

Ironically, I keep seeing ~120 on this thread. Either the gaming world tends to attract smarter people, or statistics dictate that this many people can't be above the mean ;)

As for what IQ does, I once heard that it is more correlated with how easily you learn than how straight-up smart you are? As in, you can learn new things quickly, but that doesn't mean the level of complexity of the things you learn is as high as the number suggests?

Amazing, I would say that at least 80% if the population is in the top 10%....

I scored... OVER 9000!

Is it weird to not know? I did good in school (A's and B's) and manage to run my life well so I assume I'm somewhere in the "okay" range.

LuckyClover95:
aren't you legally classed as retarded if you get an IQ score below a certain point? 170 or something?

170 is well above genius level. As a rule 100 is constantly updated to represent the average. 70 and below is considered retarded.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked