Police use pepper spray on a baby squirrel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

It's probably a little bit much, but better safe than sorry. Too bad he didn't mace one of those obnoxious whiny girls.

With the girls talking any sympathy I made have had for this diseased vermin was lost.

snark:
Squirrels can't get rabies. Rodents have something in their DNA that prevents them from being infected by it. Those people are idiots.

Any mammal can become infected with rabies, and squirrels are no exception. On Dec. 12, 2003, USA Today reported on the first confirmed case of squirrel rabies in 12 years in the state of Pennsylvania.

Being rare =! can't happen.

BURN HIM AT THE CROSS!

Or at least fire him. Pepper spray is no way to treat animals that size, imagine what he'll do if an actual threat comes at him.

Those kids in the video are so damn annoying. Should've just let them get bitten. We got too many animal hugging retards(PETA) running around anyways.

if the animal possibly was rabid, i dont see the problem with some pepper spray.

Charli:
Squirrels are vermin I'm afraid no matter how cute and fluffy they appear. Police officer was doing his job and not letting it get near what sounds like a crowd of stupid teens.

Pepper spray was a silly thing to use however, He should have just scared it off with normal means. Or maybe he has a phobia. Who knows.

Stupid video. Everyone in it is dumb. Squirrel for getting near those people, Police officer for not using his brain and maybe shouting at it to scare it off. And the tweenies for squealing and breaking my ears.

Oh yes because we cant allow squirrels to get near teens, we all know they are a real threat to humanity's future! We also gotta get them away from marijuana or they could become gay flag burning terrorists![heavy sarcasm]

Its a baby squirrel, they come near people all the time. They don't know any better. Unless it is foaming at the mouth and performing a Monty Python-esque death rabbit scene, it ain't rabid. Don't like animals getting near you? You walk away. It's not like its a charging cheetah.

...Is society really at a point where I'm supposed to have murderous rage towards a guy who peppersprayed a small animal who might have been rabid just because it was cute and young?

I swear, the world is being secretly run by PETA.

Maybe the squirrel was carrying a weapon or something.

TwoSidesOneCoin:
Wow....there truly is no facepalm picture worthy of this. How fucking, I can't even think of an adjective to use here, they all fail to grasp the thought I want to insert into the question.

I suppose all I can say is: They sure don't train cops like they used to. It was a fucking squirrel!! At worst all it would have done was piss on your legs or made you run around in circles screaming like the 5 year old animal torturer that you probably were!

Crap like this just pisses me off!

Act like you have some g-damn sense!

or it could of bitten him and given him the one of the most deadly diseases known (100% mortaility rate if not treated quickly) as the squirrel was suspected to be rabid

For all of you saying its just a squirrel http://www.cracked.com/article_19126_5-adorable-animals-that-are-turning-to-dark-side.html go to click that link. It talks of how they are becoming dangerous little bastards.

OT: But seriously the thing could of had rabies, we dont really know. If it did then good he stopped it. If it was for fun , then thats just wrong.

jpoon:

Russian_Assassin:

jpoon:

It was acting rabid? I sure didn't see it, it was probably pissed off about being pepper sprayed by a dumbfuck cop for no reason, can't blame it one bit. Common sense is definitely not common anymore. There is no way I'd be scared of that little guy, my shoe would have easily handled the problem were it actually bad.

I've been thinking about this for a while and I concluded that none of us can have a full opinion on this because none of use actually know the full context. We base our reactions solely on speculations and the facts that the news source provided us with. Anyway, some absolutely, unconditionally adore animals.

Me? Not so much, so call me a miserable fuck if you want, but I can't really feel bad about any of the parties involved. I do love cats though. If it were a cat I would also scream for the cops decapitation at dawn!

I just wanted to share my feelings about cops in America.

They are all fucking dipshits, the end.

Let me guess, you were out driving with only a few beers in you when those stupid pigs pulled you over and took away your license and that's why you hate them so much? Man, more power to you! Fuck those guys, upholding the law and only being put on the news when it's something negative about them! What right do they have to do their jobs without being chastised for every little slip-up they make by the public, anyway?

BEHOLD, THE HORROR OF THE SQUIRREL!

This is animal cruelty, which, last time I checked, was a criminal offense.

He should've sprayed the kids with the camera. Teach them to shut up for a second or two.
What did they want the officer ot do? Pick it up?

Bah, just see it as a little friendy shove in the right direction. The Squirrel is clearly outmatched and out of his league. If he want's to fight the big boys he had better bring some serious stuff to the table, or he is gonna get sent home with wounded pride and teary eye's.

Saucycardog:

Maybe that squirrel was rabid. I don't know. But it seemed kinda cute when it hopped after the officer.

Squirrels don't actually get rabies. They can, technically, but because they're so small, they usually get killed by whatever would give it to them. They do have fleas that carry bubonic plague, though.

jpoon:

direkiller:

jpoon:

It was acting rabid? I sure didn't see it, it was probably pissed off about being pepper sprayed by a dumbfuck cop for no reason, can't blame it one bit. Common sense is definitely not common anymore. There is no way I'd be scared of that little guy, my shoe would have easily handled the problem were it actually bad.

rabies affects nervs (a rabid animal cant see 1foot in front of it that's why they bite there surprised about whats in front of them)

so a rabbid animal doesn't seek out blood it blindly stumbles into it kinda like this squirrel

So why is it scampering towards the cop who is easily 4 to 5 feet away? There is no stumbling going on here, it looks more like a curious little squirrel who doesn't know to be affriad of the dumbfuck cop that's probably more scared than the squirrel.

smell,blurry object

it still doesn't change the fact the thing is acting out of the ordinary. The thing is a rodent they carry disises. pepper spay probity wasn't the best choice to get the thing away from people but still the less contact with it the better

inFAMOUSCowZ:
For all of you saying its just a squirrel http://www.cracked.com/article_19126_5-adorable-animals-that-are-turning-to-dark-side.html go to click that link. It talks of how they are becoming dangerous little bastards.

OT: But seriously the thing could of had rabies, we dont really know. If it did then good he stopped it. If it was for fun , then thats just wrong.

Oh yes the "could" argument.

13 cases. Only 13 cases? You have a higher chance of getting penis cancer than to be hurt by a squirrel. Its getting ridiculous that even the most remote chance can send people running away in fear. If we get this scared over a squirrel, then imagine what will happen when something serious happens.

"oh i can't go outside, i might get skin cancer or be abducted!" (you were more likely to be kidnapped in the 1950s. Not so wholesome anymore is it?)

"Get a circumcision! Or you might get penis cancer!" (penis cancer is more rare than male breast cancer. You have a higher chance of getting hit by a bus.)

When will it end? We have legs, use em. Squirrels are naturally curious, if it was rabid it would have attacked already. Look up the symptoms of rabies. Trouble moving, lethargy, highly aggressive, etc. That baby squirrel didn't look enraged, nor does it seem to have trouble moving.

Human > Fluffy Vermin. What a waste of spray, buckshot would be quicker.

If it were anything other than a cute looking animal no one would give a shit

dogstile:

cWg | Konka:
I hope he gets shot by someone for this

Lilani:
I think if he wants to do something like this, he should do it on his own time. Not while he's on duty and in uniform.

Antari:
Is it any wonder the police force put this guy in a school? He should be attending classes there I think.

Johnnyallstar:
I'd like some more info on the situation before I make any judgments, but from what little there is looks really bad for the officer.

Trezu:

cWg | Konka:

i just dont get why no on did anything

imnotparanoid:
What a twat!
no low content post here!

Rayne870:

Lilani:

I don't think he was responding to the animal being there. I think he was there, and the thing happened to walk up and he sprayed it. If they had thought the thing was rabid, they would have gotten the kids inside a long time ago.

We don't have the information to determine that unfortunately.

neonit:
aaaaaah! its a squirrel! its going to destroy us! KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!
cmon ppl, are you really that dumb? you afraid of flies too?
pathetic.....

edit: whats interesting to me is... what was this police guy doing there? somebody called police?
like in "help us, we are attacked by a squirrel"? and they responded?!

Hey guys, protip

READ THE LINK

He got called out to handle it because they thought it was rabid and it was approaching children.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but i'd rather not risk kids or myself getting rabies, as it can kill you.

And before anyone says "its a baby, it can't bite anyone". They can. They have teeth. They can bite through skin.

Seriously ... if you can't scare off a squirrel without pepper spray? Mother nature has every right to kill you.

cWg | Konka:

And tomorrow's headline can be "Police officer gets shot simply for possible animal cruelty"
Yeah, much better.

Hero in a half shell:

cWg | Konka:

Really? really? It's a wild, feral animal, notice how as the squirrel gets closer, the crowd also back away from it. So he deserves to die for warding off a feral animal that is capable of attacking him (sure not life threatening, but it could give some very nasty scratches and bites, and if it has rabies or a disease, then heck, it could be life threatening!)

I was walking through James Park in London last year, and a squirrel jumped on a ladys leg and tried to scale her. They are dirty, evil little vermin, do not be fooled by the disney aesthetic.

EDIT: I just read the attached report, it turns out the officer was called to the scene because the squirrel was suspected of having rabies, so a rabid squirrel approaches you and a large group of children aggressively, I personally would berate you for not pepper spraying the little furry turd, rabies is still a killer disease, if he did not act the children and his lives were threatened. Death doesn't always ride a pale horse and carry a scythe. (And the squirrel was caught and cleaned up afterwards and was absolutely fine.)

So the officer actually did the right thing. He could have shot or tasered it thus killing it. So the squirrel was lucky the officer was as nice as he was.

If anyone actually read the article, it was a report that the animal was acting unusual or erratic (Which is usually a sign of rabies). When a animal has rabies, you have to kill it (Rabies is in the brain and cannot be cured). So to deal with the problem, he either had to deter the animal (Spray some pepper spray and the animal SHOULD by all instincts retreat, but rabies would be affecting it's judgment), or he had to squish that animal under his boot.

Symptoms of rabies are often, Increased Agressiveness or Increased Friendliness. This means that either way they will try and get close to someone, which can possibly spread rabies if they bite or naw on someone. Rabies cannot be cured and it spreads throughout the whole body aside from the brain, the only cure (Once you have rabies) is to literally kill the animal/person. To CURE rabies BEFORE it has affected the brain and nervous system, it costs a large sum of money if you don't have medical coverage(Though in more developed countries like Canada or United States as an example, often you can receive medical treatment immediately and it is usually covered by most medical insurance).

Information on rabies: http://www.worldrabiesday.org/EN/media_center/videos.html

Edit: Also when dealing with ANY animal that MIGHT have rabies, they inform you to keep your distance and to kill the animal if it makes any attempts to bite someone before a animal control group can arrive. It should also be noted that not every town has animal control, so usually the Police, Park Rangers, or local hunters/farmers who know how to deal with animals are called instead.

direkiller:
it still doesn't change the fact the thing is acting out of the ordinary.

Not really.
Squirrels are often fed by people because they're cute.
And squirrels that's been fed by humans will often lose their fear of humans.
One summer, we had a squirrel that was practically a pet because I fed it.
It'd even sit in my lap and chill.
Then again, Sweden is a practically rabies free country.

Also, rodents are knows as 'disise' carriers because they are in indirect contact with a lot of humans and thrive in human cities.
That is, rats and mice.
Squirrels don't get that close normally.
Plus, they don't spontaneously create diseases.
They have to have been in contact with a diseased human to begin with.

Oh no, a rabid squirrel got pepper sprayed, whoopty fucking doo.

Denamic:

direkiller:
it still doesn't change the fact the thing is acting out of the ordinary.

Not really.
Squirrels are often fed by people because they're cute.
And squirrels that's been fed by humans will often lose their fear of humans.
One summer, we had a squirrel that was practically a pet because I fed it.
It'd even sit in my lap and chill.
Then again, Sweden is a practically rabies free country.

Also, rodents are knows as 'disise' carriers because they are in indirect contact with a lot of humans and thrive in human cities.
That is, rats and mice.
Squirrels don't get that close normally.
Plus, they don't spontaneously create diseases.
They have to have been in contact with a diseased human to begin with.

Actually Rabies is a Infection, not a disease. There are also around a hundred or more variations and separate strains of rabies all around the world. Squirrels and other rodent type animals (Especially skunks and foxes) contract rabies more than any other animal. It's because of rodents that rabies get spread to house pets and stray dogs because they bite the animals when the dogs or cats attempt to kill or eat the smaller animal.

Saucycardog:

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/04/08/6435540-officer-caught-on-video-pepper-spraying-baby-squirrel?gt1=43001

Maybe that squirrel was rabid. I don't know. But it seemed kinda cute when it hopped after the officer.

1. When a squirrel is approaching humans like that, it's a huge sign of rabies.

2. This was at a middle school. Middle school kids don't know what's going on, and they're be more likely to fuck with the squirrel and get bitten than elementary or high school kids.

3. The officer did not have gloves, leashes, or any other safe method of handling the animal and removing it. Rather than use a gun, or go get a shovel or some other blunt instrument, the officer sprayed the rabid animal with his best non-lethal option.

4. If you read the story, the squirrel was later released and was absolutely fine. The pepper spray is what allowed them to handle the animal without risk of bites. Rabies will straight up kill your ass.

5. Of course middle school kids are going to whine and plead. That is what they do. In that age group, ALL authority is wrong ALL of the time. It's cool to resist or disagree with anyone that has a badge, a uniform, or a title.

In short, there is absolutely nothing "wrong" going on in this video. Unfortunately, the police department may decide to throw this guy under the bus to make it look like they "fixed" a problem that wasn't there. I hope they stick to their guns, though.

Quiet Stranger:
Maybe the squirrel was carrying a weapon or something.

Actually yes, It was suspected of carrying one of the worst biological weapons known to man, a 100% kill rate if not treated immediately, and it was running towards a group of school kids.

Rabies is known to turn animals psycho, if it got to those schoolids and freaked out, it would have gnawed and scratched its way through the crowd, this incident if it had gone wrong may have resulted in a death toll in double figures. now I admit that thats a highly unlikely 'worst case' scenario, but are you willing to gamble your life and the lives of a dozen schoolkids on the defence, "It was only a little squirrel, I didn't want to hurt it!" The policeman did his job, he protected the group from a potential threat, and didn't use excessive force, because the squirrel was examined and was fine afterwards.

I am a terrible person, I found that hilarious.
I would rather stomp the thing though. It didn't need to suffer.

i don't get it...
also... The cracked article today talking about squirrels attacking people put this into perspective

Antari:
Seriously ... if you can't scare off a squirrel without pepper spray? Mother nature has every right to kill you.

Interestingly, one of the defining features of rabies is that it will cause normally wild and stand-offish animals to approach humans without any fear. They'll behave as if tame. And you cannot "scare them away." You have to remove them.

(Which is what the officer did, after first spraying the animal to disable it. So that he wouldn't get bit or scratched.)

Had he not, one of those middle school kids would probably have thought, "Oh how neat. A tame squirrel. Let's mess with it." And then been bitten. And then rabies shots. And then lawsuit.

Cop is 100% right in this situation. There is no conceivable way in which he could have handled this better given the circumstances and equipment available to him.

Mesquite police said the officer was involved because of reports the animal was behaving very erratically, which might have been a sign of rabies.

Not unresaonable.

snark:
Squirrels can't get rabies. Rodents have something in their DNA that prevents them from being infected by it. Those people are idiots.

False. They are very rarely found with rabies, but they are most certainly capable of carrying the infection. The CDC website itself says that it's possible, but really only likely if the squirrel is behaving strangely and rabies is widespread in the area.

So this stuff about "their DNA" preventing a viral infection? It's just false.

But furthermore, why would a cop be expected to know all the ins and outs of viral infection rates in rodents? Woodchucks are extremely capable of carrying rabies, and do they really seem all that biologically different from squirrels? (I'm not saying you could get the two confused, but that they both appear to be rodent-like mammals found in wooded areas)

Person 1(Didn't read article): Squirrels can't get rabies, this is animal cruelty he should be fired.

Person 2: Squirrels can get rabies, here are several links that show documented cases of rabies. Here are some more of squirrel attacks. This was at a school and he was called to check in on it after it was acting eratic. The police man had no protection and used his only means of non-lethal avoidance: Pepper spray.

Person 1: It's still animal cruelty, I hope he dies!

dogstile:
He got called out to handle it because they thought it was rabid and it was approaching children.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but i'd rather not risk kids or myself getting rabies, as it can kill you.

And before anyone says "its a baby, it can't bite anyone". They can. They have teeth. They can bite through skin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't rabies perfectly treatable in it's incubation stage? Meaning, IF (and it's nowhere near 100% chance) the big bad officer does get bitten by the tiny baby squirrel, he can go to a doctor, get it cleaned, get a shot and walk away scott-free.

Also, isn't the correct institution to handle that kind of matter Animal Control? What the fuck is the cop doing there in the first place?

Rationalization:
Person 1(Didn't read article): Squirrels can't get rabies, this is animal cruelty he should be fired.

Person 2: Squirrels can get rabies, here are several links that show documented cases of rabies. Here are some more of squirrel attacks. This was at a school and he was called to check in on it after it was acting eratic. The police man had no protection and used his only means of non-lethal avoidance: Pepper spray.

Person 1: It's still animal cruelty, I hope he dies!

I lol'd a bit. +1

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or