Police use pepper spray on a baby squirrel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

cWg | Konka:
I hope he gets shot by someone for this

It was probably rabid, people. It's not like he did it for FUN. Good christ, get all the information before you start sharpening your pitchforks.

here's all i have to say....

Rabies is bad mmm'kay?

but seriously, you can look at a video with almost no context and presume to judge the people in it? I have no fucking idea what was happening, but I'm going to save my mood and assume that the animal was suspected of rabies, and the only stupid thing that happened was not getting the students inside.

Eri:

Rationalization:
Person 1(Didn't read article): Squirrels can't get rabies, this is animal cruelty he should be fired.

Person 2: Squirrels can get rabies, here are several links that show documented cases of rabies. Here are some more of squirrel attacks. This was at a school and he was called to check in on it after it was acting eratic. The police man had no protection and used his only means of non-lethal avoidance: Pepper spray.

Person 1: It's still animal cruelty, I hope he dies!

I lol'd a bit. +1

Just thought I'd quote this, on the off-chance that more people will see it and stop freaking out over nothing.

Man, this place has really developed a pattern, hasn't it? The above conversation could be expanded for half the threads on this site.[1]

Person 1: Look at this horrible news story! It's a tragedy!
Person 2: KILL THEM! KILL THEM! KILL THEM!
Person 3: Actually, that's only half the story. Here's enough evidence to fill a library that proves this story isn't as bad as the OP made it sound.
Persons 4 through 8 billion: KILL THEM! KILL THEM! KILL THEM!
Person 8 billion and one: Hey, look at what person 3 said! It's not as bad as it sounds!
Everyone else: NO! KILL!
Person 3: .......Fuck this.

[1] EXAGGERATION! Don't quote me to say that it's not really half the threads, I KNOW.

Denamic:

They have to have been in contact with a diseased human to begin with.

or a diseased flea
or a diseased dead animal

a rodent dose not have the same immune system humans have(hence the reason they dont live as long) they can get diseases from anything

it was acting out of the ordnary and there were children the cop took action to minimize risk to himself and those around him.

Vrach:

dogstile:
He got called out to handle it because they thought it was rabid and it was approaching children.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but i'd rather not risk kids or myself getting rabies, as it can kill you.

And before anyone says "its a baby, it can't bite anyone". They can. They have teeth. They can bite through skin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't rabies perfectly treatable in it's incubation stage? Meaning, IF (and it's nowhere near 100% chance) the big bad officer does get bitten by the tiny baby squirrel, he can go to a doctor, get it cleaned, get a shot and walk away scott-free.

Also, isn't the correct institution to handle that kind of matter Animal Control? What the fuck is the cop doing there in the first place?

Its expensive to treat($500-$1000) its a few shots over a week and its painful(he also cant work for that period of time)

Not everywhere has animal control often cops are the ones that have to deal with them

in bigger city's cops are called then they call animal control

Only in America...

Hero in a half shell:

EDIT: I just read the attached report, it turns out the officer was called to the scene because the squirrel was suspected of having rabies, so a rabid squirrel approaches you and a large group of children aggressively, I personally would berate you for not pepper spraying the little furry turd, rabies is still a killer disease, if he did not act the children and his lives were threatened. Death doesn't always ride a pale horse and carry a scythe. (And the squirrel was caught and cleaned up afterwards and was absolutely fine.)

/thread

And don't make me remind anyone that pepper spray is 100% non-lethal.

SteewpidZombie:
Actually Rabies is a Infection, not a disease.

...what?
By starting your post saying stupid things, you immediately make people take you less seriously.
It's an infectious viral disease.

There are also around a hundred or more variations and separate strains of rabies all around the world. Squirrels and other rodent type animals (Especially skunks and foxes) contract rabies more than any other animal. It's because of rodents that rabies get spread to house pets and stray dogs because they bite the animals when the dogs or cats attempt to kill or eat the smaller animal.

Point being?

direkiller:
a rodent dose not have the same immune system humans have(hence the reason they dont live as long) they can get diseases from anything

Biology was not your strong subject, was it?
I'm not even going to try.

I'm sorry but I laughed out loud when i read this

Alright, I'm gonna stop reading this thread before I headdesk.

Maybe most of you should join PETA, huh?

OMG maybe next time he should let tge damn squirel bite someone, but then you same people crying about the squirel would complain that the officer just stood there and did nothing while a squirel bit someone. give me a break.

I've never seen a rabid squirrel before; it is actually funny to see a squirrel approach someone. They usually flee.
Anyway, if it was rabid, I guess that is one way to deal with it. I don't know what else an officer could do, though I severely hate whoever was talking in the background. I had to turn my volume down due to how loud her annoying input was.

Police love to spray squirrels

Interesting video. I guess the fact that it could have had rabies makes this understandable, but then again PETA would argue innocent until proven guilty. (Equality!)

No one is safe from police mace brutality!
I can't wait for the day two police officers mace each other out of spite!

Good thing this site's crack team of zoologists are able to figure out that baby squirrels don't act that way.

I don't know any better, but a few summers ago there was a baby squirrel on my porch that came right up to me because it was starved and dehydrated. I fed it and gave it water and it slept on my lap in a towel for a few hours. I then released it back outside and off it went looking just fine. Also, squirrels aren't known to get rabies. Just something I found out from using Google.

Vrach:

dogstile:
He got called out to handle it because they thought it was rabid and it was approaching children.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but i'd rather not risk kids or myself getting rabies, as it can kill you.

And before anyone says "its a baby, it can't bite anyone". They can. They have teeth. They can bite through skin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't rabies perfectly treatable in it's incubation stage? Meaning, IF (and it's nowhere near 100% chance) the big bad officer does get bitten by the tiny baby squirrel, he can go to a doctor, get it cleaned, get a shot and walk away scott-free.

Also, isn't the correct institution to handle that kind of matter Animal Control? What the fuck is the cop doing there in the first place?

Yeah, its treatable. However, my brother got bit and if I recall it took multiple extremely painful shots to treat.

I wouldn't expect anyone to go through that for a random squirrel.

Antari:

dogstile:

Hey guys, protip

READ THE LINK

Seriously ... if you can't scare off a squirrel without pepper spray? Mother nature has every right to kill you.

Sure, because squirrels usually hop towards humans in the first place. He did it safely, and he did no permanent harm to the squirrel.

Definitely a wrong course of action there.

direkiller:
Its expensive to treat($500-$1000) its a few shots over a week and its painful(he also cant work for that period of time)

Not everywhere has animal control often cops are the ones that have to deal with them

Just throwing out thoughts here, but the police department is likely to be one of those silly institutions that gives out medical insurance to it's employees? And even they somehow didn't, if he's called to be there and take care of it, it's a work-related injury, so the department pays for it.

Also, to repeat again, there's no guarantee he'd get bitten, nor even one that the squirrel is infected. The chances of both being true are actually not that big.

As for whether there's animal control... I could be wrong, but those sound like American accents. Even if it was a backwater place and it doesn't look like it from the video, America's pretty well covered with animal control services as far as I'm aware.

cWg | Konka:

They're killers. All of them.

http://www.gadling.com/2011/03/17/crazy-squirrel-attacks-residents-of-vermont/?icid=maing

http://www.antisquirrel.com/News/news12.html

... what? Did you think I meant the popo's?

Sorry, when you have a two legged, black, red eyed demon squirrel living in your back yard as a kid, you tend to not like them...

EVILLLLLLLLLLLL.

dogstile:
Hey guys, protip

READ THE LINK

I don't mean to say that your comments are incorrect or misguided... but do you really think he just sprayed that squirrel because it was a 'health hazard'? I really did NOT get that impression from watching this.

I know pepper spray is non-lethal, but it seems like it's the number 1 answer to most of a police officer's problems these days : /

Vrach:
America's pretty well covered with animal control services as far as I'm aware.

I don't know the specifics but I DO know America is at least marketed as being one of the least likely places to have animal problems in the entire world.

EllEzDee:
Only in America...

and proud of it!!!

Trezu:

cWg | Konka:

i just dont get why no on did anything

Would you want to try physically stop a police officer who just maced a squirrel?

You'd either be maced yourself and/or arrested.

Mimsofthedawg:

EllEzDee:
Only in America...

and proud of it!!!

Ohhhh yeaaaaaaa!

Why was everyone backing away from the squirrel? Did it have a knife that wasn't shown in the video?

Damn police, you scary!

It's a baby squirrel...why is it that the police seems to pepper spray everything with pathetic strength these days?
the 8 year old a couple of days ago and now this...just throw a small box over it.

when a problem can be solved with tossing a shoe box, the pepper spray is not required.

Spacewolf:

TwoSidesOneCoin:
Wow....there truly is no facepalm picture worthy of this. How fucking, I can't even think of an adjective to use here, they all fail to grasp the thought I want to insert into the question.

I suppose all I can say is: They sure don't train cops like they used to. It was a fucking squirrel!! At worst all it would have done was piss on your legs or made you run around in circles screaming like the 5 year old animal torturer that you probably were!

Crap like this just pisses me off!

Act like you have some g-damn sense!

or it could of bitten him and given him the one of the most deadly diseases known (100% mortaility rate if not treated quickly) as the squirrel was suspected to be rabid

You know, this will probably catch me some flak, but here goes.

If you manage to get bit by a baby squirrel. Think about that one for a second. Baby. Squirrel. How the hell you gonna manage to protect the other people in the vicinity? Couldn't he have used a less harmful way to deter said baby squirrel? Like shooing it away with a broom? The spray just seems like overkill!

Granted I never read the link as I had just gotten home from 12 hours shift, although that's not much of an excuse for not following that through.

(captcha: see qualtha) (who the hell is qualtha and what do I need to go see her for anyways?!)

Later all, gotta go see qualtha now.

cWg | Konka:

You want a human shot for doing no permanent harm to an animal for his attempt to protect children WITHOUT killing the animal.

You need to reexamine your thinking.

cWg | Konka:

Good to see people care more about animals then their fellow human kind. But if the squirrel was rabid then yeah you kinda need to knock it out so you can catch it and have it studied. And to everyone else who thinks the cop should be shot I rather you live with wild animals and see how long you last with them.

Ok, for arguments sake, lets say the squirrel had crazy foaming at the mouth full blown rabies. How does macing it help anything? If it has infectious rabies, it should be put down and quickly. I fail to see how spraying it would fix the problem. It might not come after the officer anymore, but if it goes from being too friendly to terrified and takes off, how many more rabies squirrels will you create?

Sounds more like stupidity than anything. Assuming the little dude had rabies to begin with... Its cruel and stupid no matter how you look at it.

Also, a squirrel with no fear of humans near a school full of giggling girls is not surprising to me at all. The hospital i used to work at had tons of squirrels living around it. You could feed them from your hand because for ages everyone had thought they were cute and fed them so they learned not to fear. I used to have one that would scream at my apartment window for food all the time too. A squirrel coming up to you is quite common. People think they're cute, is it so shocking that maybe a baby squirrel might have been 'taught' not to fear the school full of kids that probably feed them?

We need someone to police the police, there are so many brutalities. This in particular isn't much worse than what quite a few teenagers do, but to see such sadistic behavior in an "enforcer of the law" makes me wish it weren't virtually impossible to win a self-defense case when you were defending yourself against the cops.

Momentary discomfort of one animal for the prevention of possible harm to one or more persons.
Seems like a pretty good reason to me.

I don't know. Some animals shouldn't be underestimated,.....

I would have stamped on it tbh. If I had to put it down and it had rabies - it's probably the fastest way bar blowing it away with a gun.

Vrach:

direkiller:

Just throwing out thoughts here, but the police department is likely to be one of those silly institutions that gives out medical insurance to it's employees? And even they somehow didn't, if he's called to be there and take care of it, it's a work-related injury, so the department pays for it.

Also, to repeat again, there's no guarantee he'd get bitten, nor even one that the squirrel is infected. The chances of both being true are actually not that big.

As for whether there's animal control... I could be wrong, but those sound like American accents. Even if it was a backwater place and it doesn't look like it from the video, America's pretty well covered with animal control services as far as I'm aware.

there in Texas(read the article not just the video) it even links the school there at

Just because HMO's should cover something doesn't mean the cop should put himself in the spot to have to get a rabbits shot+whatever else the thing may carry(and he whould need the shots regardless of the animal having anything or not) and miss a week+ of work to not put the animal in some discomfit for 10min while the thing is moved. He took the action he thought was best suited for getting all party out unharmed. He succeed(no children,him,or the squirrel was hurt)

powell86:

punkrocker27:
my guess is he worked at the school, and if anything did happen to those kids, it'd be the school's ass and then they'd come down on him hard

yet another bugger who likes to comment without reading the link. He was called in by the school who suspected the squirrel is rabid. pple like you makes the internet full of uneducated comments.

Is that an exact damn quote from the article then? I assume it is, since you seem to be oh so adamant about that sort of thing. Because from what I read it didn't give any confirmation towards the claim either way.

FYI I did indeed read all like 3 paragraphs of the article before commenting, but seeing as the writers on that obscure little website decided it was such a non-story that they didn't need to go into detail or even update it at all, all we have to go on here is speculation. Certainly something deserving of you to jump down my very throat about. It's okay, in the end people like you make the world a better place, what with all your reactionary bullshit.

TL;DR: A squirrel got maced, big deal. I lol'd by the way.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here