Police use pepper spray on a baby squirrel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Harry Mason:

Ugh. Bear mace. *Shudder*

Are you saying that this baby squirrel was released?

At least in my state, there is a strict "euthanize absolutely everything every time" policy. I once had a heated argument with animal control because they were required to terminate a terrified bat because it was taking refuge in a basketball gym. They stated that they knew the bat was no harm, but code required euthanasia on the spot. I'd relocated dozens of bats, and had a special soft spot for them, so I was suitably displeased.

If there is a US state that allows potentially rabid, non-canine or feline animals to be tested and released, I'd like to know where it is.

Well, if you read the article it says the school called animal control who caught it to "clean it" and later released it, that's why I'm saying that what you won't hear is of them doing a quick rabies test. That's what they do in Indiana at least, the grey squirrels shouldn't be your worry, it's the black ones you got to look out for >.>;;

Now THIS is fucking silly,

alright, the officer may have had no other choice,
but that choice he DID have is just damn hilarious,

If it was possibly rabid. They should've called animal control to the scene. Not the police. If it's a small community the humane society... Either way pepper spraying an animal is pretty stupid.

Private Custard:
BEHOLD, THE HORROR OF THE SQUIRREL!

This is animal cruelty, which, last time I checked, was a criminal offense.

Holy shit, according to a bunch of people defending the jackass cop on this thread that guy is probably dead from squirrel rabies! Damn, shoulda had his pepper spray...for a wee little squirrel. Yeah, can't protect ourselves any other way no doubt.

Tsaba:

Harry Mason:

Ugh. Bear mace. *Shudder*

Are you saying that this baby squirrel was released?

At least in my state, there is a strict "euthanize absolutely everything every time" policy. I once had a heated argument with animal control because they were required to terminate a terrified bat because it was taking refuge in a basketball gym. They stated that they knew the bat was no harm, but code required euthanasia on the spot. I'd relocated dozens of bats, and had a special soft spot for them, so I was suitably displeased.

If there is a US state that allows potentially rabid, non-canine or feline animals to be tested and released, I'd like to know where it is.

Well, if you read the article it says the school called animal control who caught it to "clean it" and later released it, that's why I'm saying that what you won't hear is of them doing a quick rabies test.

...Weird.
So if it wasn't rabid, that baby squirrel had chutzpah!

Perhaps I should read attached articles before I lecture people on the aggressiveness of Animal Control! Apologies.

Why waste the pepper spray? A boot works better.

Guys, I don't think you've read the whole story. Apparently this squirrel had just committed armed robbery and was trying to make a run for it. The cop, knowing the suspect was carrying a .22 glock, responded in an appropriate manner. Don't judge someone unless you know the whole story. This cop put his life on the line to save those hypocritical (and female, from the sound of it) hippies and he gets ridiculed.

Harry Mason:

...Weird.
So if it wasn't rabid, that baby squirrel had chutzpah!

Perhaps I should read attached articles before I lecture people on the aggressiveness of Animal Control! Apologies.

Not your fault entirely, I blame the OP, it's his fault for not really posting all the info, you took what you saw at face value.

Sounds like any rage can be directed here:

http://www.mesquiteisd.org/

"Officer Davis" is probably a police officer who is assigned to just sit at the school all day waiting for something to happen.

I don't really care either way though. Just adding fuel to the e-fire.

This whole video is just irritating, mostly because of the people in the back ground, shut up and let the guy do his fucking job. Sure there was probably a better tool to use then Pepper spray, but if a potentially rabid woodland creature is spazing out near children then I'm on the side of the guy trying to get rid of it.

ace_of_something:
If it was possibly rabid. They should've called animal control to the scene. Not the police. If it's a small community the humane society... Either way pepper spraying an animal is pretty stupid.

Yea, they usually just kill the animal anyway. And why all the reactions on this? Since I last checked, people doesn't seem to care about when people are killed or dies. When an animal is just being more or less 'morally taken care of' due to possible infection, people flip out -.-'

But they should have called animal control instead as you say.

what the hell si going on?

is this cops pepper spray the most innocent things? first a child gets sprayed now a baby squirrel.....

How DARE that police officer use non-lethal measures against an animal believed to be rabid that was endangering school children? He should be reprimanded for putting human lives above the comfort of the squirrel!

If this dangerous trend continues, we might soon see officers of the law using non-lethal weaponry on armed murderers approaching orphanages!

What's really disgusting is not the officer, but the idiots who sat there and watched the Squirrel endure the Cruciatus Curse. Seriously, it's unforgivable.

Stop! You have violated the law.

Oh, you're a squirrel...

Should have used a shotgun, just to be sure.

Proof that humans are fucking stupid, example this:

People die everyday to disease, murder, lack of food/water, etc etc, only alittle outcry.

Some guy peppersprays a squirrel. painful, but ultimately temporary.

People call for the officer's death.

Fucking derp man.

Also, I'm pretty sure people are going to say 'BUT ANIMALS CAN'T SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!!11!' and I'll just respond that animals ARE FUCKING ANIMALS. I didn't see that Lion giving a shit when it ripped a zebra from throat to ass. Well, he gave a shit, but it was hours later and brown. so stfu.

Jeez, he still had a foot, didn't he?

Saucycardog:

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011/04/08/6435540-officer-caught-on-video-pepper-spraying-baby-squirrel?gt1=43001

Maybe that squirrel was rabid. I don't know. But it seemed kinda cute when it hopped after the officer.

Squirrels are known to attack Humans, and are known to carry disease, he acted in a perfectly reasonable way.

The cop was doing his job, it was the crowd behind him making the issue. He should've captured the squirrel under a bucket or something, and maced them.

i see no valid reason for this, if it HAD rabies, get them inside, it will go away

he was being a dick far as I'm concerned

cWg | Konka:
I hope he gets shot by someone for this

People like you disgust me. It's a squirrel and it was barely injured by the spray, and you want to kill a human being over it?

people need to read cracked more...
http://www.cracked.com/article_19126_5-adorable-animals-that-are-turning-to-dark-side.html

See squirrels are dicks and that one had rabies...nothing wrong here except the girls are dumb-asses.

ranyilliams:
Why would anyone do anything to a BABY squirrel...that thing even if it was rabid, he could probably barely even chew his own food yet let alone bite someone...every time another one of these "abusing baby animals" videos pops up i lose a little bit more faith in humanity...

Searching out nest, lookin for the product
Thinkin' every baby squirrel is sellin' narcotics
They'd rather see me in the pen
Than me and Lorenzo chillin in the trees, yo
Beat tha police outta shape
And when I'm finished, bring the yellow tape
To tape off the scene of the slaughter
Still can't swallow acorns and water

I don't know if they fags or what
Search a squirrel down and grabbin his nuts
And on the other hand, without a gun they can't get none
But don't let it be a black and a white one
Cuz they slam ya down to the street top
Chipmunk police showin out for the white cop

jpoon:

Holy shit, according to a bunch of people defending the jackass cop on this thread that guy is probably dead from squirrel rabies! Damn, shoulda had his pepper spray...for a wee little squirrel. Yeah, can't protect ourselves any other way no doubt.

Huh, from what I've read about your posts so far you seem to be one of those people who were pulled over by an officer for drunk driving, and when he simply wanted to ask what you were doing you took a swing at him, got arrested, and want all cops dead. Hah, you're an amusing fellow. I hope the Escapist keeps you around instead of banning you for all these insults, curse words, and attacks against other users. Your train of thought it kind of hilarious in its own right to watch.

As for the thread: Protect the innocent squirrels! Evil officer using non-lethal force! Oh NOOOOO!!!!

Diamondback One:

jpoon:

Huh, from what I've read about your posts so far you seem to be one of those people who were pulled over by an officer for drunk driving, and when he simply wanted to ask what you were doing you took a swing at him, got arrested, and want all cops dead. Hah, you're an amusing fellow. I hope the Escapist keeps you around instead of banning you for all these insults, curse words, and attacks against other users. Your train of thought it kind of hilarious in its own right to watch.

As for the thread: Protect the innocent squirrels! Evil officer using non-lethal force! Oh NOOOOO!!!!

Big negative on that one, the most I've ever been stopped for was expired tags and speeding. Close but no cigar. Cops are all still assholes though in my experience, it basically just seems to be the federalization, military style training (with their "them against us" attitude) and self-ego boosting that probably does it but it is what it is. There was a time when the general public actually respected cops but I don't know that i've ever seen it.

PS: Don't think you can be banned for curse words here, thankfully, this is an adult oriented site in that respect. By the way, I never attacked anyone on this board, unless the cop that was in that vid was here, then yeah I pretty much guess I did.

Maybe he thought that by spraying it with pepper spray that it would taste better when he ate it? XD

This is like that officer that pumped shotgun slugs into a family's dog when in jumped out of their car while they were pulled over. But that was much worse.

Am I the only one that remembers that story? Family sued police for mental anguish for shooting the dog?

FlashHero:
people need to read cracked more...
http://www.cracked.com/article_19126_5-adorable-animals-that-are-turning-to-dark-side.html

See squirrels are dicks and that one had rabies...nothing wrong here except the girls are dumb-asses.

That article did not mention seagulls, therefore it is silly.

Singularly Datarific:
I think he just read that.

DAMN YOU NINJA!!!!! DAMN YOU TO THE DEEPEST, DARKEST PITS OF TARTARUS!!!

But yeah the stupid middle school girls in that video were really fucking annoying. I would have yelled "SHOOT IT!" it response to her bullshit.

ace_of_something:

the standard responce for a rabid varmit is to simply kill it.

But honostly...
which is the better choice?
Discharging a Firearm in the school
-or-
Pepper spraying a possibly rabid animal

All you people calling for the officer's death are pathetic.

"OH NO! NOT THE CWUTE, ITTY-BITTY BABY SQWURREL!"

What do you want to bet all these girls would be screaching "EW KILL IT," if it was a spider, despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of spiders are perfectly harmless. Crying a river just because it's cute.

Wild squirrels are not harmless, and a squirrel moving towards humans is not normal behavior. And it's not just rabies. There are host of diseases and infections that wild animals can spread. I wouldn't have cared if he shot the damn thing, but all he did was spray some pepper spray at it.

I guess...

*Put on goggles*

That Squirrel was off his nut.

what he did was illegal i want to see charges brought.
if i had been there i would have hit him the back of the head while he was looking at the squirrel and then stomped him a few times, you know, to let him know how i feel about it.

As someone who has dealt with squirrels for a loooong time and worked with wild animals, I can attest to the massive balls they have. One of the little brats ate through my screen at college because he knew the bird feeder on my window had to get filled from someplace and left little squirrel prints all over my bookshelf. He later returned to tug on my boyfriend's hair when he was sitting too close to said hole in the screen.

More on topic:

1) The officer should have just had everyone vacate the area and kept an eye on the squirrel or thrown a box on it until animal control showed up. Macing it would just cause it pain and if it was rabid, possibly cause it to flail and go on the attack more.

2) Yes, rabies is a deadly and horrible disease....IF you don't get treatment. It's better than ever now and streamlined down to only a few shots over the course of a month.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/03/28/rabies.shots.pediatrics/index.html?hpt=T2
Plus seriously, infection is only if you are bit or scratched, and I think even the screaming girls and that officer could outrun a baby squirrel.

3) If you follow the links, one of the articles says that when an animal control officer showed up he picked up the squirrel, cleaned it up, and let it go. NOT RABID.

4) Yeah the girls were annoying, but they're in what, middle/high school? Most people hate seeing something treated cruelly, especially when there isn't time to pause and think rationally about the situation. I'm willing to bet that most people would at least yelp in surprise and jump/kick out and run a few feet if that jumped on them, just out of shock.

TL;DR
-Follow the links, read the articles, squirrel was NOT RABID
-Rabies can be treated, plus little threat from something the size of a hot dog
-It's a frickin' BABY! What's it gonna do, gum someone to death?

'POLICE OFFICERS PEPPER SPRAY A YOUNG BOY!'

4 pages of comments, a lot of them saying that they support the police's decision to mace an eight year old.

'POLICE OFFICERS PEPPER SPRAY A BABY SQUIRREL'

7 pages of comments expressing disgust at the abuse of a poor wittle fwightened baby sqwuiwwel.

Yeah I'm generalising but come on, a little pro-humanism goes a long way. Also, this really does seem to be one of those overreaction situations on every side. Rabid squirrel, so someone calls the cops, first overreaction, cops don't know how to react (probably/possibly/whatever) so they do what seems at the time a nice safe response, second overreaction, public bays for his blood, complete and total lunacy on the part of the public.

1. Rabies is a killer, it is terrifying and very very deadly, you do not fuck around with it.
2. If it was any other animal that wasn't so cute, you can just bet they wouldn't have been quite so quick to leap to its defence.
3. Once again we have only a thirty second video, taken from a clearly biased perspective, and we're being asked to draw out conclusions from it.

Nothing about this is kosher.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or