Police use pepper spray on a baby squirrel

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Nouw:

Ultratwinkie:

Nouw:
It was rabid so I really see no problem. Hell it should be put down before someone dies.

Actually no, it wasn't rabid.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/04/07/officer-pepper-sprays-squirrel-at-mesquite-school/

Animal control took it, released it. If it was rabid they would have put it down immediately. Unless your a tin foil hat guy, the government isn't going to infect us with rabies.

So harming the squirrel did no good?

Shame on you officer! Having said that, I'm betting there's some kind of other part to the story we're all missing >.>

It was a baby squirrel. They don't know self preservation yet. I seen baby mice run up to full grown cats and die because they thought it was a big fluffy friend for them to play with.

Baby Tea:

It's a freaking squirrel. And this one was suspected of having RABIES.
The cop can't discharge his fire-arm at it, so what can he do until animal control gets there?

If the officer in question had actually contacted animal control before spraying the squirrel, I'm pretty sure they would have told him what a quick Google search tells us: (emphasis mine)

Small rodents like squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice) and lagomorphs including rabbits and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to transmit rabies to humans.

So everyone who has been bleating that the squirrel had rabies, or that it "probably" had rabies, or that it was any danger to humans whatsoever, is flat-out wrong. You probably shouldn't be posting pictures of Calvin & Hobbes laughing when you're the one making the fool out of yourself - just my two cents on that.

Also, pepper spray can be toxic to humans:

The US Army concluded in a 1993 Aberdeen Proving Ground study that pepper spray could cause "Mutagenic effects, carcinogenic effects, sensitization, cardiovascular and pulmonary toxicity, neurotoxicity, as well as possible human fatalities. There is a risk in using this product on a large and varied population".

So it's a pretty cruel thing to use on a baby squirrel. I think it's useful for police officers to use against dangerous humans or animals, but come on, a baby squirrel? Definitely not humane by any stretch of the imagination.

stinkychops:

ranyilliams:

stinkychops:

You expect a bunch of children to try to prevent an armed police officer from preventing a rabid animal advancing at him?

Do you realise how deadly rabies is and how idiotic what you're suggesting is? If you would honestly have tried to stop that police officer I don't see how you've made it this far in life.

Nice wild guesses. I don't think you have any idea what was going on.

It's not a baby, its clearly justifiable and he did nothing wrong. Just because you're ignorant of a disease and a danger doesn;t make it not exist. See how long you last hugging some rabid squirrels. I dare you.

Like a bunch of children being set upon by a rabid squirrel.

Question. Would you more readily stab yourself with a dirty, small, pink needle than a dirty big, clear needle. Because it doesn;t matter what animal rabies comes from.

You're right. He should definitely have risked the safety of everyone there because the worthless squirrel was a baby.

People who say this are invariably lacking in both maturity and scope. I hope you grow out of your childish misanthropy.

Btw, you can't genocide a species. L2dictionary.

That animal with barely any cognitive functions! I feel so sorry for it!

lulz. Even a quick google search would have stopped you from saying something blatantly incorrect. Any mammal can get rabies.

I originally intended to address every single person in this thread who was talking nonsense. But I'll just conclude with this.

I wouldn't be surprised. Hopefully its just that video game players have been bullied by mean old humans and now don't have compassion for them. Their cats love them!

get a life...

Oh god. You're right. What am I doing sitting on my ass in a forum full of people with no grip on reality. I should be out learning, laughing, loving... living my life. Thankyou rainyilliams. Despite your obviously lacking intellect you've imparted a great wisdom upon me. I'll never look back.

Thankyou... thankyou...

Actually what i was saying was that you should get a life, because you obviously don't have one...I posted my 'opinion' on a forum for a video of a baby squirrel getting sprayed with pepper spray on the internet. When I returned home this afternoon a few hours later to find that my own singular unique opinion has been compiled into a large group of people with similar opinions as my own, with responses to each persons OPINION with a condescending statement giving no information about why you're right. Simply stating that you are right because we are wrong. Then when i point out the clearly obvious reality that you needed to get a life (otherwise you wouldn't be spending your time whining at people on the internet) you question my intelligence based on a total of less than 3 sentences of any of my written word and one of my opinions. I know that it's somewhat ironic that i'm writing all this after saying that wasting your time on the internet is pathetic, and i'm probably justifying to you that i probably have no life (not true at all) but someone has to stand up to idiots on the internet... Before you go around commanding your opinions over other think about this quote : "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" What you did when you posted all of this was removed all doubt for myself, and probably some of the other people you talked down to on this list. This is simply animal cruelty caught on tape and its as simple as that. Even if that squirrel needed to die then stepping on it would have been the most humane way of killing it, not standing over it and spraying it with pepper spray rated for an animal roughly a thousand times its size...

Hahaha. That's all i can think to say. Go Cop!

Hahaha. That's all i can think to say. Go Cop!

double-tap

ranyilliams:

stinkychops:

ranyilliams:

get a life...

Oh god. You're right. What am I doing sitting on my ass in a forum full of people with no grip on reality. I should be out learning, laughing, loving... living my life. Thankyou rainyilliams. Despite your obviously lacking intellect you've imparted a great wisdom upon me. I'll never look back.

Thankyou... thankyou...

Actually what i was saying was that you should get a life, because you obviously don't have one...I posted my 'opinion' on a forum for a video of a baby squirrel getting sprayed with pepper spray on the internet. When I returned home this afternoon a few hours later to find that my own singular unique opinion has been compiled into a large group of people with similar opinions as my own, with responses to each persons OPINION with a condescending statement giving no information about why you're right. Simply stating that you are right because we are wrong. Then when i point out the clearly obvious reality that you needed to get a life (otherwise you wouldn't be spending your time whining at people on the internet) you question my intelligence based on a total of less than 3 sentences of any of my written word and one of my opinions. I know that it's somewhat ironic that i'm writing all this after saying that wasting your time on the internet is pathetic, and i'm probably justifying to you that i probably have no life (not true at all) but someone has to stand up to idiots on the internet... Before you go around commanding your opinions over other think about this quote : "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" What you did when you posted all of this was removed all doubt for myself, and probably some of the other people you talked down to on this list. This is simply animal cruelty caught on tape and its as simple as that. Even if that squirrel needed to die then stepping on it would have been the most humane way of killing it, not standing over it and spraying it with pepper spray rated for an animal roughly a thousand times its size...

I would respond to your long and clearly tear-filled post but I'm too busy jetskiing with swedish models. I'm living life to the max. You should try it, it sure beats trying to defend idiotic statements by pointing out its 'your opinion'.

If I were you I wouldn't be acknowledging the fact that I wrote that! What are you thinking man?! Its not too late to go back and edit your posts, I'll play along.

Jeez man. I'm going to actually respond to you because I can see you're getting a little worked up.

The fact that you've used almost no grammar to help structure your flow of random bile before throwing it out onto the internet suggests that, indeed, my suppositions about your lack of intellect may have been correct.

Secondly, it took me literally 3 minutes to throw my post together. I don't know how action packed your life is, but I'm able to waste 3 minutes a day.

The only reason what I said is "condescending" is because what you said is blatantly laughable.

You clearly just do not have the comprehensive ability to read what I wrote. As I offered reasoning. So I shall spell it out. The police officer thought the animal was rabid, the animal approached towards him. He couldn't allow it to endanger his life nor the lives of the children, for the life of a potentially diseased animal. Using his firearm near those children would be foolish. Attempting to kill the animal up close, assuming it has rabies, would be idiotic. So he used a non-lethal chemical to temporarily hurt the creature. It was later found not to have rabies.

So. What you're suggesting, that he stomp it to death. Is completely moronic. How can you possibly say that that (in hindsight or in context) is the best move. This way, the squirrel is fine and no-one was put in danger.

Hopefully now you can see why you are wrong. Regardless of whether its your 'opinion' and it hurts your feelings.

Anyway, I better go off and live overtime, this took at least 5 minutes!

There is nothing in the world I despise more than humans abusing innocent animals. For me, torture of the equivalent, if not more of the abuse given to said animal should be given right back to the horrible bastard that gave it to the animal in the first place.

Shit like this upsets me big time, not even going to watch the video because it will be on my mind all day. It's kinda the same when I see a stray dog.

He did the right thing, he was there when it happened and was protecting the children and himself from a very possible rabies infection while sparing the life of the animal.

What is this I don't even?
It's a squirrel. That's all it is, Christ what's everyone's problem with this? Seriously, it wasn't killed, it was pepper sprayed, in a couple of hours it would be right as rain. If it had rabies or some shit I can really understand why it was sprayed, as it is it just seems a bit unfortunate. Not something to go crazy about.

Majorian:

Baby Tea:

It's a freaking squirrel. And this one was suspected of having RABIES.
The cop can't discharge his fire-arm at it, so what can he do until animal control gets there?

If the officer in question had actually contacted animal control before spraying the squirrel, I'm pretty sure they would have told him what a quick Google search tells us: (emphasis mine)

Small rodents like squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice) and lagomorphs including rabbits and hares are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to transmit rabies to humans.

So everyone who has been bleating that the squirrel had rabies, or that it "probably" had rabies, or that it was any danger to humans whatsoever, is flat-out wrong.

Animal control WAS contacted.
They arrived, checked out and cleaned up the squirrel, and let it go.
It was fine.

Since animal control was contacted, and the cop still pepper sprayed the squirrel, then they either didn't communicate that information, or the officer doesn't have a Google search on hand, ready to answer what everyone else can while they sit at home.

And while what you've bolded certainly says the a squirrel both having, and transmitting rabies to humans is very unlikely, it certainly doesn't flat out say it's impossible. So even if the officer had all the information at his fingertips that everyone here does, I still wouldn't blame him or fault him for his actions.

I'd rather a squirrel get maced then take the risk of getting rabies (no matter how small that risk is), or some other disease the little bugger could be carrying.

At the end of the day? The squirrel is fine.
It didn't die.
It's not blind.
It didn't lose an arm or something.
It got sprayed, and now it's fine.

Everyone needs to get over it.

Trezu:

cWg | Konka:
I hope he gets shot by someone for this

i just dont get why no on did anything

A bit late, but I really want to add this response http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/08/05/jackie-chan.jpg

Pills-here:

Trezu:

cWg | Konka:
I hope he gets shot by someone for this

i just dont get why no on did anything

A bit late, but I really want to add this response http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/08/05/jackie-chan.jpg

What Does Jackie Chan have to do with this?

Obviously should have pepper sprayed the kids, would have been a far more useful lesson.

Boris Goodenough:
He did the right thing, he was there when it happened and was protecting the children and himself from a very possible rabies infection while sparing the life of the animal.

Have you not read anything that's been posted in this thread? The animal did not have rabies, the likelihood of it having rabies (much less transmitting it) was pretty much nonexistent, and if the officer had done his due diligence and asked Animal Control first, they would have told him so. If he was concerned, all he had to do was tell the teachers to get the kids away from the area (or even just drop an empty cardboard box over it!) and wait for Animal Control to arrive. Pepper spray is caustic on skin - it burns like hell. There's no way the cop didn't cause the squirrel a lot of unnecessary pain. That's animal cruelty, and it deserves to be called out.

Baby Tea:

Animal control WAS contacted.

By the school, yes. Clearly it wasn't the officer who did it; otherwise he would have known that squirrels don't give people rabies.

I'd rather a squirrel get maced then take the risk of getting rabies (no matter how small that risk is), or some other disease the little bugger could be carrying.

This is a false dichotomy. There were more options than just "allow the animal to give kids rabies," or "pepper spray it." Ie: trap it in a cardboard box, or tell the teachers to get the kids out of that part of the school, or even just nudging it away with your boot. Pepper spraying it and causing it a lot of needless pain is pretty much the definition of inhumane and cruel. Them's the facts.

I'm glad the squirrel is okay; that doesn't concern me as much, however, as how this fits into the overall pattern of police brutality. What kinds of out-and-out dumb people are we as a society authorizing to use deadly force?

And "get over it"? Really? You realize you're the one making the effort to post here. If this discussion is so onerous, you don't have to keep participating in it.

Majorian:

Boris Goodenough:

Have you not read anything that's been posted in this thread? The animal did not have rabies, the likelihood of it having rabies (much less transmitting it) was pretty much nonexistent, and if the officer had done his due diligence and asked Animal Control first, they would have told him so. If he was concerned, all he had to do was tell the teachers to get the kids away from the area (or even just drop an empty cardboard box over it!) and wait for Animal Control to arrive. Pepper spray is caustic on skin - it burns like hell. There's no way the cop didn't cause the squirrel a lot of unnecessary pain. That's animal cruelty, and it deserves to be called out.

It's bahavior was erradic and was confronting, those are very likely indications of rabies.
If he had asked them first it could have bitten someone and someone could have been infected.
He would have gone to get a bos somewhere which would have taken time and someone could have been infected in the mean time.

He didn't do it for personal entertainment or gratification, he did it to protect the children.
Better safe than sorry.
He did the right thing.

Boris Goodenough:
It's bahavior was erradic and was confronting, those are very likely indications of rabies.

No, they're really not indications of anything of the sort. They're indications of a squirrel that's used to humans and being fed by them. They have them all over LA, and I'm sure there's plenty of them in other cities and towns as well.

If he had asked them first it could have bitten someone and someone could have been infected.
He would have gone to get a bos somewhere which would have taken time and someone could have been infected in the mean time.

Or he could have asked someone to, I dunno. Get one for him while he kept his eye on the scary evil baby squirrel?

You're operating under the same false dichotomy as Baby Tea, ie: that the only two options were "let the scary death-squirrel run amok," or "pepper spray it and cause it lots of pain." Those were hardly the only two options.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here