Should I watch Sucker Punch?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So yeah Im really on the fence with this one

on one hand it sounds really cool, and I am definiety interested in the whole premise and everything

on the other hand generally critics reveiws are awful...and yeah I trust critics, if they ALL hate somthing its a good sign to stay away

also

how would you rate it on the whole "sexist/objectifying" scale? I mean I know they are all dressed skimpyly but that doesnt mean its "sexist"

I believe that you should

And it's not really objectifying in my eyes. The girls are imagining themselves like that. It's actually quite an empowering film.

yes you should watch it

like right now! fuck the critics!

The review I wrote indicates you should.

Click here curious passerby.

If you had no trouble following the shifts in inception (A looot of confused idiots coming out the theater? maybe read a fucking book for once) then yes, since most people are panning it for not being able to follow any kind of plot which extends beyond the most basic of structure.

Go watch it, like NOW, dont sit there and think about it cmon its just a couple of hours of your time and about 10 bucks for a ticket, theres not a whole lot for you to lose here honestly GO WATCH IT!

Watch it. I beg you to. It is simply too good to pass up. If you only watch one movie this year then watch this one.

Short answer? Fuck yes!

Long answer? Fuck yes! Seriously, this is a good movie (not great, but really good). Know this. What you are seeing in the commercials and trailers is not the movie. The plot is a complete mind fuck and I mean that in a good way. The CGI is done extremely well, the story is above average and will have you wondering what the fuck movie you're watching half the time with enough twists and turns to keep you guessing but enough predictability to keep the movie from getting out of hand. The soundtrack plays off what's going on in the movie and is also fan-fucking-tastic. If you want to see it but aren't really sure I suggest hitting a daytime movie. That way, if you didn't like it that much at least you're not paying full price for prime time. But I say go for it and keep an open mind so it can get blown. As for sexism? Just because they wear skin tight and skimpy outfits doesn't make it sexist. Stupid tight-assed prudes. Don't listen to them!

Hell yes, according to my review you should see it right now. It does have a few hit-and-miss points, but on the whole it's a great film, worthy of at least 8 stars out of ten (if I gave review scores, which I usually don't), and Zack Snyder has done a brilliant job with it. Screw the critics, make up your own mind. That's what I've always said, never let anyone tell you what to think. If you want to see it then do so, and make your own decision whether you like it or not.

now that i've got the initial rating down and am one of the earlier comments, i'll go into more detail.

you should watch this movie because the its a love it/hate it movie, in a way. and whatever you do IGNORE THE COMMERCIALS. they make the movie look like some immature anime fantasy about underage girls. what this movie really is, is intelligent and on par with Inception. yes thats right, its as good as Inception. now whether that means Suckerpunch is really good or Inception isnt as good as everyone thinks it is, is up to you. and obviously when you see Suckerpunch you'll understand that the comparisons dont end there. you see, in the movie, when the protagonist enters the mental institute (no spoilers) she then enters a sort of dream state. this isnt because of some technology, but instead represents how she and the other main characters cope with whats happening, and what they do. this is important to know because they do it again. and this may sound confusing, but because of the style of the dream levels it's pretty easy to keep track of whats going on.

the only complaint i have is in a part of the movie that is somewhat clichéd, you'll know it when you see it (no spoilers)

so basically, i'm telling you that in this case, all those critics are wrong. (havent you seen Movie Bob's critique?) whether you like it in the end or not, this is a movie that everyone should see.

Redlin5:

You're doing it wrong!

You need to hyperlink the review in your post, like Trivun and I did.

I tend to agree with Movie Bob on movies so if he gives it a 'thumbs up' then I'm more likely to like it.

He gave it a 'thumbs up' so I'm more tempted to check it out.

I watched it and greatly enjoyed it. I don't think it's sexist/objectifying in the manner that you might think it is, but it's there. It's done to show the bad of it though, it's not just done for the sake of doing it. I recommend watching MovieBob's review of it, so you'll see a little more about what I'm talking about.

I thought that it was a good movie, and I'm a pretty harsh movie critic, but I can say that every movie that MovieBob has recommended that I've seen, have all been good. Except for Rango, but even MovieBob said that you should only really see that for the graphics, and I saw it before I watched his review on it, so I guess that's what I get. XD

Marter:

Redlin5:

You're doing it wrong!

You need to hyperlink the review in your post, like Trivun and I did.

I don't need a review following. Especially if I'm going to put out new games as often as Valve puts out new Halflife games!

Saw it tonight, and is officially in my top 3 movies, and I've seen a lot of friggen movies. Go see it. Right now. I don't hear your car! DO IT!

Redlin5:
I don't need a review following. Especially if I'm going to put out new games as often as Valve puts out new Halflife games!

YOU'RE MAKING GAMES NOW? Do want!

I merely jest. But you do make people curious by mentioning the review, but not linking to it.

If you want to watch it, you should. I saw it, I enjoyed it, but don't expect Kill Bill or Sin City.

No hater. Be awesome and smoke weed...

Nah, I'm just messing around. If you like those sort of movies, watch it. If you like retarded romantic comedies, please kill yourself.

Ok fine, you don't have to kill yourself but at least become an isolationist. But if you like movies (or co-)starring Robert Pattinson you are going to hell. Its scientifically proven.

Marter:

Redlin5:

YOU'RE MAKING GAMES NOW? Do want!

I merely jest. But you do make people curious by mentioning the review, but not linking to it.

*sigh*

Tired again.

Here it is.

watch it. its good enough.

I usually Watch films with m friends at my house......but not this one because there is a pretty high chance that I'll be sittin there with a boner for the entirety of the film.... And it'll make me Super uncomfortable to be sitting in a room full of dudes with boners.

So I ask: Is it Boner-able? (not my proudest word coinage btw :/)

I thought it was pretty good. I'd recommend seeing it.

I recccomend it. Just don't go in excpecting a great story and deep insight.

Most people I hear who saw it, film students and the like at college, didn't like it. MovieBob did. I haven't seen it and probably never will because the premise looks stupid to me. That's my two cents.

I enjoyed it. Most of the people I have met who disliked it said they were either disappointed with the ending, they found the movie was too much of a mindfuck for their taste, or they had the idea that a movie where girls in sexy costumes with guns was just a cheap ploy to lure in men. Others didn't like the music. Some didn't like the main cast.

I would recommend it, but I wouldn't be surprised if you did not like Sucker Punch. It's the type of movie which years from now will probably only be enjoyed by a small core of strongly devoted fans.

Oh god no it was terrible. Every review I have read on this site is totally inaccurate in my opinion. Including MovieBob's, this movie is just another Zack Snyder mindless piece of tripe.

He is one of the worst directors of our generation...the Michael Bay of nerd friendly genre films.

Huh, how fitting. I just got back from watching Sucker Punch. Maybe it's fate...

So... how did I like it?

Oh god... My head is pounding, my voice is just dead from all the screaming, and now I owe my friend 20 trucks of donuts for dragging him with me. I'm going to need about 12 hours of watching guinea pig videos to recover from this incident. I swear, I'm a straight edge when it comes to alcohol, but getting completely wasted sounds so appealing right about now...

TheDrunkNinja:
Huh, how fitting. I just got back from watching Sucker Punch. Maybe it's fate...

So... how did I like it?

Oh god... My head is pounding, my voice is just dead from all the screaming, and now I owe my friend 20 trucks of donuts for dragging him with me. I'm going to need about 12 hours of watching guinea pig videos to recover from this incident. I swear, I'm a straight edge when it comes to alcohol, but getting completely wasted sounds so appealing right about now...

That's funny, I just got back from it too. It was one of the most amazing movies ever. My mind thinks a lot like that movie works, though mine aren't quite so vivid. It's still inspiring to see the movie get made, and made well, especially considering how it works. I'm not surprised, nor do I care, that there are people confused by it. Let them be, people who understand it will enjoy it again and again.

If for nothing else than the wonderful imaginative scenes you should watch this movie. And there's nothing objectifying about it; watch it and you'll realize this.

Yes, you should absolutely see this movie. Sure, the acting is a bit melodramatic, sure there really isn't much of a plot. But you know what? None of that matters, and believe me, I'm the kind of person who doesn't usually go for the whole "but it looked cool" thing. Transformers was a terrible movie. 2012 was a terrible movie. Sucker Punch is a GOOD movie. Go see it. You will be happy you did!

Watch it, it is amazing.

Frylock72:
That's funny, I just got back from it too. It was one of the most amazing movies ever. My mind thinks a lot like that movie works, though mine aren't quite so vivid. It's still inspiring to see the movie get made, and made well, especially considering how it works. I'm not surprised, nor do I care, that there are people confused by it. Let them be, people who understand it will enjoy it again and again.

If for nothing else than the wonderful imaginative scenes you should watch this movie. And there's nothing objectifying about it; watch it and you'll realize this.

Not confusion. I never saw anything that I would consider "deep" in this movie beyond it being about the overused "fantasy vs realism" and bad psychoanalysis, despite it being the most favored argument among a fringe group of my friends. Everything was completely clear to me. The reason this movie was made. The demographic and target audience this movie panders to. Sexism and mindlessness. That was the mindset of far too many movie goers. And the movie never overcame these damning traits.

Sucker Punch was brilliant. Go see it. Critical (read, those done by critics) reviews are garbage.

I saw it and I just can't get into it. The plot was pretty damn 'meh' and the action-sequences were boring.

Don't watch it but hey it was my experience not yours!

TheDrunkNinja:

Frylock72:

Not confusion. I never saw anything that I would consider "deep" in this movie beyond it being about the overused "fantasy vs realism" and bad psychoanalysis, despite it being the most favored argument among a fringe group of my friends. Everything was completely clear to me. The reason this movie was made. The demographic and target audience this movie panders to. Sexism and mindlessness. That was the mindset of far too many movie goers. And the movie never overcame these damning traits.

I don't know what movie you were watching, but I was watching a good movie about escaping reality.

If you're thinking of watching it because Moviebob gave it a positive review, don't trust him. I went and saw G.I Joe, and I will personally demand a refund from him even though I never paid him for anything.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked