2.8% (3)
2.8% (3)
Season 4, I don't like prime numbers...
0.9% (1)
0.9% (1)
Season 5, last season was the best.
2.8% (3)
2.8% (3)
Season 6, don't waste your time in the past.
0.9% (1)
0.9% (1)
It's better if you don't waste your time with this show.
5.7% (6)
5.7% (6)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Doctor Who, which season should I start with?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

From time to time I see news on the escapist and blogs about Doctor Who, but since this show was never brought to Italy (at least, that I know) I never watched it. Now I understand it seems quite good and I was interested in watching it, but I read somewhere that the first seasons weren't that good.
I would normally begin from the first, but since then some doubts crossed my mind.
So I ask you, which season of Dr. Who is the best to start with or at all, and possibly why should I start with it in particular?
Or, if you are so inclined, why shouldn't I start following it?

edit:
It looks like I knew even less than I thought. So pardon me if I ask: What's the difference between old and new Doctor?
And (but this seems quite obvious from the first comments) can I see the new one even if I didn't see the old one?

Season 1 of the new series I assume? That's a good start. Chris Eccleston is great.

You can go back into the really old Who, but I don't recommend it without finishing the new series first.

The one with the time machine, I guess. And the coat. Oooh yes, the coat.

(But series 1.)

I was considering starting at the series with the new Doctor. He plays the role really well and the episodes that I've seen so far are great.

You're absolutely best off starting with the first season. Seasons 2-4 reference a lot of things that happened in it so you'll be lost if you don't. That, and that's the only season with the 9th Doctor, and The 9th Doctor was the best. God damn I miss Chris Eccleston.

For New Who, start either with Eccleston (Series 1), or with the first Matt Smith series (Series 5).
The Eleventh Doctor is a kind of break in the series again, whereas 10 directly follows 9 even with story arches.

The beginning and then watch everything in order. All 772 episodes.

Nothing like the good old Tom Baker episodes.... David Tennant I thought was a good second choice...

Either start with the first Chris Eccleston one, or with David Tennant.

Definitely worth watching from at least there onwards.

And if you fancy watching any old Who, just watch anything you can find :)

Axolotl:

But if you're lacking the time to watch all 772 episodes (but you really should find it) then you need to start with Season 1 with Christopher Eccleston. (Really too bad he only got one season btw.)

Axolotl:

you do know that over 100 episodes are missing after being wiped/destroyed

I'm gonna watch them from 1 and forward, so I would recommend the same for you.

Axolotl:

Well, at least that should keep me occupied for a while, or until a new season of Firefly is out...
:-)

Heathrow:
Season 1 of the new series I assume? That's a good start. Chris Eccleston is great.

You can go back into the really old Who, but I don't recommend it without finishing the new series first.

I agree with this. To go back and say...watch the original B&W, just wouldn't work as well now. Definatley start with Ecceleston's time as the doctor.

After you catch up to this season, you can go back and check out some of the Classic Doctor's like Tom Baker :)

Series 1 or 5...since 5 was technically another reboot, aiming more at a new look and just starting all over again without David Tennant having a sob about that one girl that was sorta cool, which is a shame because David Tennant was the bomb and the episodes with Billie Piper were some of the best, outranked only just by the Catherine Tate ones. Matt Smith is good, but when you're following up from David Tennant, it's eating a big mac after just having a gourmet burger...still bloody tasty but it just doesn't have the same, finese...

stranamente:
It looks like I knew even less than I thought. So pardon me if I ask: What's the difference between old and new Doctor?
And (but this seems quite obvious from the first comments) can I see the new one even if I didn't see the old one?

Doctor Who started in the 1960s, if I remember correctly. It ran for over 20 seasons, going through 7 actors in the lead roll of the Doctor, and finally died (due to some terrible casting and writing during the 6th doctor and other issues thereafter) in the early 90s.

It was reborn 6ish years ago as the "New" Doctor Who, starting with Season 1. There was also a terrible made-for-TV-movie done by Fox that we shall never speak of again.

I would say start with Season 2. That is when they actually get a good doctor. Also, there is really no continuous story to the show like in Babylon 5, so it does not really matter which season you start with. You can get into the story and the lore from any of them.

EDIT:
To address your edit: there is a great deal of difference between the old and new shows. The older shows have really terrible special effects and are much more campy than the modern ones. Personally, I prefer the old show (NO ONE CAN BEAT TOM BAKER!), but I would not think viewing the old one would be required to watch the new one. I heartily recommend the old one though...

Season 1 of the new series of course. You won't understand a lot of what's going on with David Tennant's Doctor if you haven't seen the first season, and he's a lot of people's favorite.

If you mean season 1 of the old series... good f***ing luck.

The first one? That's sorta the best way to do this sorta thing, start at the start.

stranamente:

"Old" Who ended in 1989, after which a crappy TV movie was made as a failed relaunch attempt. Asides from the stellar actor in it, the less said about it, the better. Doctor Who continued in books, as audioplays, and in other formats until the relaunch with Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor.
Old Who started as a kiddie show and had an extremely low budget, even compared to other BBC Series of the time. The writing was excellent though, as was most of the acting.

New Who has a much larger budget. The series has many references to Old Who for example some old companions turn up here and there, and storylines are referenced, but it stands on its own very well. It is a bonus if you know what it refers to but not necessary to understand the plot: because the Doctor is traveling with companions who don't know the world they've landed in, anything that needs to be is explained in the episodes themselves.

While seasons 1-4 are excellent, if you want to catch up with the latest episodes quicker I could definately recommend starting with season 5. Its a new guy playing the doctor, and a new lead writer, meaning that its basically like starting again. If you've watched no Doctor Who previously, there might be one or two things you don't quite understand, but you can pick it up quickly.

Another reason I'd start with season 5 is that the first episode of that season (The Eleventh Hour) is possibly my favourite episode ever - a lot happens in it and its just really enjoyable. That said, if you're happy to start a bit further back, Season 1 is the way to go - just don't be off with the first couple episodes, I found that that season took a while to get good unlike some others.

I'd also recommend not getting into old doctor who before you've watched all of the new stuff. it hasn't really aged well, so make sure you love the new doctor before going back to it (you don't need to see any of it to enjoy the new doctor who from Season 1).

if you really want to know everything that's going on you could try to watch the old episodes way back when it was the first doctor

stranamente:
From time to time I see news on the escapist and blogs about Doctor Who, but since this show was never brought to Italy (at least, that I know) I never watched it. Now I understand it seems quite good and I was interested in watching it, but I read somewhere that the first seasons weren't that good.
I would normally begin from the first, but since then some doubts crossed my mind.
So I ask you, which season of Dr. Who is the best to start with or at all, and possibly why should I start with it in particular?

edit:

For new series that started in 2005, I recommend season one. The current Doctor last season and this is just too mixed up in things that happened with parts that happened with the Doctor before him. But you might as well start with the Doctor even before that Doctor.

Eccleston is really good, it was a shame he only got one season, but at least after him came the Tennant(Who I count as the best Doctor of all time).

But yeah start with season one, you will be much less confused, especially with things that happen in the 4th season.

Eventually you should see how it all began, and for that I recommend the "Beginning collection" I give a link too in my other response below.

With the old series tough it isn't to bad to watch random episodes, but with the new series, you might as well start with season 1. Basing where one watches/starts the series because of who other people suggest is the better Doctor, isn't good for the new series, since all new series seasons and specials from 1 to 6 have things that connect to future or past seasons.

Again, go with season one with the new series.

cWg | Konka:

Axolotl:

you do know that over 100 episodes are missing after being wiped/destroyed

Well he could watch bits and pieces of at least 12 of those lost story archs of the first and second Doctors with the Lost in Time Collection. It has 434 minutes worth of parts from episodes that were lost.

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Collection-Episodes-Troughton/dp/B0002OXVF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304441568&sr=8-1

I don't know what the OP has, but he might be able to find it on Netflix(wouldn't know because I have never used Netflix) considering he probably isn't at the stage for buying things.

This is also a good thing for the OP to look up.

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Beginning-Unearthy-Destruction/dp/B000CNESV2/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b

It is a collection of the first three story archs from the beginning in 1963.

Start with 1960s starting series.

Failing that then the 1998 movie, it's pretty decent and Paul McGann should have a series of his own! It's a shame he only got one movie.
Eccleston is fantastic in the 2005 series 1 and everything after that is brilliant.

Christopher Eccselston Season 1. It's all uphill from there. Old Doctor Who start with John Pertwee or Tom Baker...mostly Tom Baker over John Pertwee.

joebthegreat:
Season 1 of the new series of course. You won't understand a lot of what's going on with David Tennant's Doctor if you haven't seen the first season, and he's a lot of people's favorite.

If you mean season 1 of the old series... good f***ing luck.

It isn't that hard to start at the beginning with the old series.

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Beginning-Unearthy-Destruction/dp/B000CNESV2/ref=pd_bxgy_d_img_b

One thing one must not do is listen to the stupid people that rate things on Amazon, their minds are totally bereft of logic.

Example of a one star review of the Beginning Collection:

As a 5 star fan of the 21st century version of Doctor Who, I found this entire package a waste of time. To me Doctor Who is intended to be witty and energetic, and brilliant.
The Doctor Who portrayed in this package is the total opposite. No one in this cast is witty. The plots are boring and the Doctor is annoying. I think he was meant to be. The crew survives in spite of themselves in these three stories and certainly not because of anything the Doctor does.
Even the 1950's series Superman has better plots even though each story here takes several episodes.
Not remembering a lot about the episodes I watched as a teen, I was disappointed by this package. I was pleased to see in another package that the third Doctor is starting to be more like the modern one, and even the first Doctor as shown in the story The Three Doctors is an improved character.
I was happy to see the historical feature on the DVD set. And some of the comedy skits are entertaining.

Apparently time works backward for this guy, thinking that past Doctors are emulating Tennant and the others when obviously Tennant and the others were emulating their counter parts that came before him. Also the idiocy of basing how the old series should have been based on the new series.

When watching the old series, there are things that people need to keep in mind:

1.) They ran on a horribly small budget, so don't bash or get all negative about special effects.
2.) Understand it isn't going to look like stuff filmed today.(saw another stupid guy that gave bad reviews to several old series DVDs because it wasn't filmed like the new series today.
3.) Going along with the things above, judge it on merits of the year it was created in, also considering the British style of filming back then.
4.)Each Doctor is not suppose to be entirely the same, the point is that he changes with each regeneration.

It think that about covers it.

I'd normally say season 2 since David Tennant is my favourite doctor in the new age but probably best to start from the beginning (meaning Chris Eccleston).

To answer your edit question, the series was cancelled for 16 years from 1989-2005, barring a movie that was an attempt to revive it (the 8th Doctor, Paul McGann). It came back in '05 with Christopher Eccleston, and has been going ever since.

My suggestion is to do this: watch season one of the new series (2005), and so on in order, so that you can catch up with the current stuff. Then, go back. Personally, my favorite old school doctor is Five (Peter Davison), but Four/Tom Baker is usually the go-to guy if you want to try the old series.

Going back to the very first season of the original show is hard, because there's a lot of missing episodes for the First and Second Doctors. By the Third and Fourth, you've got pretty much every episode though, so if you're the type who hates missing an episode, it's probably better to pick Three or Four. The thing about the old stuff is that the special effects are seriously dated, but some people (me, people who grew up with it, and plain ol' nerds) don't mind. If you get really throw off by that sort of thing, definitely save the old stuff until later.

[/nerd lecture]

If you're in a rush to watch the new stuff, season 5 is a relatively safe place to start. You'll miss a bit of the recent backstory, but the new head of DW (Stephen Moffat) does a great job of filling in most of the gaps. IMHO Season 5 was the best yet, as far as the new series is concerned.

If you don't mind being a little behind, start with Season One. From there, you'll get 99.9% of the canon history, and will get almost everything. It's a little more to watch, but it's good stuff.

If you're feeling ballsy, go back and find some of the old stuff (Tom Baker and Peter Davison especially). It's a different style from the new series, but still excellent television.

if you only watch the new series, definitely start with season 1, as there are arcs going through the whole load of them. the new series' can be viewed as a separate group to the old series, with a few exceptions, as there're mostly only a few references to old stuff.

that said, there's quite a lot of continuity within the old series, even inter-doctor, so its worth watching at least the highlights of each doctor if you're going to delve into the series.

finally, the MFTV movie is, excepting some references and the intro, almost entirely standalone.

stranamente:
which season of Dr. Who is the best to start with or at all, and possibly why should I start with it in particular?

There's actually 33 seasons... ;)

Personally, and if you're a young 'un. I'd start with Rose, the first of the new season. That gives a brief resume of the action.
Little older, try Sylvester McCoy's Doctor, Rememberance of the Daleks - season 25 - was good.
Very old, try and catch snippets of all 11 and see which one you like the best.
Much younger, start with Matt Smith's The Eleventh Hour.

Be warned: Whovians are VERY VERY VERY defensive of their own personal favourite; but as long as you catch the Doctor just after a regeneration, it's all good.

(Well...mostly...there are some true stinkers)

If you just want a taster: Either The Empty Child(9), Blink(10) or The Eleventh Hour(11) are good for seeing what you think.

Going back, 8 was the TV movie, 7's best was probably Rememberance of the Daleks, 6 is disliked, but Vengance on Varos is pretty awesome, 5's best was Time-Flight, 4 had so many good ones, but I'd say City of Death was the best, 3 really has to be Terror of the Autons, Troughton's second Doctor would probably be The War Games and William Hartnell has to really be The Daleks.

Bara_no_Hime:
and finally died (due to some terrible casting and writing during the 6th doctor and other issues thereafter) in the early 90s.

*twitch*

Not quite.

It was scheduled at horrible times, split up, ran out of order and had its budget cut because a certain DG of the BBC hated Science Fiction, and was going out with the Sixth Doctor's ex-wife.

He then boasted about how he'd killed it on Room 101.

He's now a member of the House of Lords.

Thinking about catching up, season 5 (of Nu-Who) is a great place to start, very indicative of the series as a whole, and season 6 has just started airing in the UK.

As the central character and entire cast change with relative frequency (three different lead actors since the series revival) and there isn't that much continuity-baggage that needs to be memorised it shouldn't take long to get up to speed on the essentials.(Crazy human-looking alien time-traveller + hot-fitty female human companion having adventures through time and space...that simple)

If you like it, then go back to season 1 (of Nu Who) to catch up with more of the recent backstory.

And after that is up to you. There are also some decent spin-offs and half-a-century of back-catalogue to work through if you dare...

[EDIT]

The_root_of_all_evil:
He then boasted about how he'd killed it on Room 101.

Such a cunt. Colin would have been an awesome Doctor if given a half a chance (and a wardrobe change...)
[/EDIT]

EvilPicnic:

And after that is up to you. There are also some decent spin-offs and half-a-century of back-catalogue to work through if you dare...

Without touching on the 200 novels, novellas, annuals, comics, radio plays, audiobooks, computer games...

In fact... http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/theadventuregames/cityofthedaleks

Fancy a point/click adventure?

Declaro:
snip

five? good choice, but he's not as good as seven, even with Nyssa and Adric...

The_root_of_all_evil:
snip, again

technically, 31 and a little bit, at the moment

as comparison, i'd vote:
1)the daleks (7)
2)agreed again - war games (10)
3)Time monster (or) invasion of the dinosaurs (6/6)
4)Pyramids of Mars, Logopolis (4 has *way* too many to choose only one) (4/4)
5)Terminus (4)
(1,2,3,4,5 together)Five Doctors) (2)
6)Two Doctors (3)
7)Curse of Fenric (4)
8)Movie - its the only TV thing he was in (1)
9)Empty Child (2)
10)Utopia (3)
11)Impossible Astronaut (2)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked