Quotes that gives you chills?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts
and tore the world asunder.

"Oz is a slum, the White Knight is a retard, and the Seven Dwarves rape pixies" - Battle Royale
It's my favourite "get real" quote :3

One time back when FFX was somewhat new, i was playing the game with my friend and was at mt gagazet grinding, and in one battle,(after i chose Threathen I believe it was) Auron said "No Mercy!" in such a tone and with such attitude me and my friend just kinda looked at each other and were all "Holy crap, he sounds pretty damn pissed right there o.o"

Found one more

"God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of the players, (ie everybody), to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."
- Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman Good Omens

Am i a man dreaming he is a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming he is a man.

That we, in our arrogance, believed that Humankind was first among the races of this galaxy will exposed as folly of the worst kind upon the awakening of these ancient beings. Any hopes, dreams or promises of salvation are naught but dust in the wind.

VivaciousDeimos:
You didn't specify good chills or scary chills....so good chills it is!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
~Marianne Williamson

Yes, this. One of my favortie quotes.

PureChaos:
'don't let it control you'

high 5 to whoever gets the reference.

X-Men!

"A Man chooses, a Slave obeys"
that scene creeps me out every time

Donnyp:
i don't get chills from quotes. But if i had to choose. I'd choose this.

He says it better then anyone.

Bhagavad Gita represent!

OT: Malcolm McDowell's opening narration in A Clockwork Orange nearly made me piss myself first time I heard it.

(Skip to 1:40 to hear it).

"And you are going away, and will not come back any more?"

"Yes," he said. "We have comraded long together, and it has been pleasant - pleasant for both; but I must go now, and we shall not see each other any more."

"In this life, Satan, but in another? We shall meet in another, surely?"

Then, all tranquilly and soberly, he made the strange answer, "There is no other."

A subtle influence blew upon my spirit from his, bringing with it a vague, dim, but blessed and hopeful feeling that the incredible words might be true - even must be true.

"Have you never suspected this, Theodor?"

"No. How could I? But if it can only be true -"

"It is true."

A gust of thankfulness rose in my breast, but a doubt checked it before it could issue in words, and I said, "But - but - we have seen that future life - seen it in its actuality, and so -"

"It was a vision - it had no existence."

I could hardly breathe for the great hope that was struggling in me. "A vision? - a vi -"

"Life itself is only a vision, a dream."

It was electrical. By God! I had had that very thought a thousand times in my musings!

"Nothing exists; all is a dream. God - man - the world - the sun, the moon, the wilderness of stars - a dream, all a dream; they have no existence. Nothing exists save empty space - and you!"

"I!"

"And you are not you - you have no body, no blood, no bones, you are but a thought. I myself have no existence; I am but a dream - your dream, creature of your imagination. In a moment you will have realized this, then you will banish me from your visions and I shall dissolve into the nothingness out of which you made me . . .

"I am perishing already - I am failing - I am passing away. In a little while you will be alone in shoreless space, to wander its limitless solitudes without friend or comrade forever - for you will remain a thought, the only existent thought, and by your nature inextinguishable, indestructible. But I, your poor servant, have revealed you to yourself and set you free. Dream other dreams, and better!

"Strange! that you should not have suspected years ago - centuries, ages, eons, ago! - for you have existed, companionless, through all the eternities.

Strange, indeed, that you should not have suspected that your universe and its contents were only dreams, visions, fiction! Strange, because they are so frankly and hysterically insane - like all dreams: a God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice and invented hell - mouths mercy and invented hell - mouths Golden Rules, and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him! . . .

"You perceive, now, that these things are all impossible except in a dream. You perceive that they are pure and puerile insanities, the silly creations of an imagination that is not conscious of its freaks - in a word, that they are a dream, and you the maker of it. The dream-marks are all present; you should have recognized them earlier.

"It is true, that which I have revealed to you; there is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven, no hell. It is all a dream - a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists but you. And you are but a thought - a vagrant thought, a useless thought, a homeless thought, wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!"

He vanished, and left me appalled; for I knew, and realized, that all he had said was true.

"In Brightest day, In Blackest night..."

T8B95:
I have no mouth...and I must scream

Cake for whoever gets the reference.

from the game with the same name???

Mine would be:
War... war newer changes...

What do you know of history? What do you know of next year? ... 1914, sir. Because the Family has traveled far and wide looking for Mr. Smith and oh, the things we have seen! War is coming. In foreign fields, war of the whole wide world, with all your boys falling down in the mud. Do you think they will thank the man who taught them it was glorious?!

Donnyp:

Blue_vision:

Donnyp:
i don't get chills from quotes. But if i had to choose. I'd choose this.

He says it better then anyone.

I will concur with this. Every single time.

even just the end "Now i am become death, Destroyer of worlds." alone is epic.

One of the most interesting reasons why that quote is so strong is its misuse of English grammar. Sanskrit is a very old language and has grammatical tenses English lacks, thus translating it directly is often difficult, and one has to merely try to convey the meaning of the writing one way or another.

I've always got chills from that broadcast. I remember when I was very young, my father was teaching me mathematics. At one point I became frustrated with polynomials or something, so we watched a video that included this broadcast piece after witnessing video of the Trinity test. My father then commented that after the test, the director, Ken Bainbridge, walked up to Oppenheimer, leaned in close and said "Now we are all sons of bitches."
I think that may have hit me stronger than Oppenheimer's comment, because, perhaps, it was really the first time I heard my father intentionally curse without it being a response to pain or anger. Or perhaps it's because what was said was so succinct and modern. Over the past hundred years, there's been a war nearly every year and now here's a device that will change warfare, and the rest of the world, forever.

"God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers? What was holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet owned has bled to death under our knives: who will wipe this blood off us? What water is there for us to clean ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we have to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we ourselves not become gods simply to appear worthy of it?"-Friedrich Nietzsche

This line from the first Xenosaga game:

"Such tears. What beauty they hold, these tears of sorrow. Surely, they are the most precious substance in the world. But, are you worthy to shed such tears? The act of mourning the dead belongs to the realm of humans... The human race, fearful in its weakness, built this world in a futile attempt to elude the abyss they call mortality. Culture, civilization, all delusions created by a powerless race, and of little use, like a barren woman. But amidst all this, you continue to exist as an unfettered soul, free from the shackles of flesh and blood. A completely pure consciousness. An eternal spiral undefiled by impurities. A fusion of fire, breath, and spirit! What can we call you, but angels? New, unadulterated psyches, but what you lack is reality, and that is what I shall provide you with!"

pspman45:

PureChaos:
'don't let it control you'

high 5 to whoever gets the reference.

X-Men!

you get a high 5 too

"long into that darkness peering, i stood there. Wondering, doubting, fearing."-edgar allen poe.

The quote that shows every time you fire up eternal darkness: sanity's requiem.

"this...can't be HAAAPENIIIING!"-the usual reaction of eternal darkness characters to the insanity effects.

"when there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

"alan...wake up."

This, just... this:

Points to whoever gets the refrence.

Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods - Warhammer40k

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
-Albert Einstein

Sorry if it's already been posted. A quick skim and I didn't see it.

"Oh, really?" - Claudia, nterview With The Vampire.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want ...

... but I do want.

He leadeth me beside still waters. He restoreth my soul ...

... but they killed my dog.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I shall fear no evil ...

... but I am afraid.

... for Thou art with me. Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me ...

... but we need a miracle.

Thy loving kindness and emrcy shall follow me all the days of my life ...

... if You exist.

... and I shall dwell in the House of the Lord forever ...

... but I'd like to get some more of this life first, and if You don't help us, we're all gonna die. Please? Just one miracle?

... Amen." - Megan, Pale Rider.

"The Show Must Go On." - Nico Minoru, Runaways.

"Clever girl." - Robert Muldoon, Jurassic Park.

"Would you like a balloon, Georgie?" - Pennywise, IT.

"I believe in scarlet tanagers, even though I never saw one. Same with the New Guinea mudlark and the flamingoes of Brazil. I believe in the golden bald eagle, and I think there may really be a phoenix someplace, but I don't believe in you!" - Stan Uris, IT.

I haven't actually watched Pale Rider or read IT in quite a while, so those may not be entirely accurate.

"You arrogant bastard." - Paul, The Fionavar Tapestry.

"Right now, you have a magically sharpened axe pressed carefully but sternly at the base of your throat.

It's there because you've annoyed me.

What do you think will happen if you make me angry?" - Big Ears, Goblins.

Shraggler:

Donnyp:

Blue_vision:
I will concur with this. Every single time.

even just the end "Now i am become death, Destroyer of worlds." alone is epic.

One of the most interesting reasons why that quote is so strong is its misuse of English grammar. Sanskrit is a very old language and has grammatical tenses English lacks, thus translating it directly is often difficult, and one has to merely try to convey the meaning of the writing one way or another.

I've always got chills from that broadcast. I remember when I was very young, my father was teaching me mathematics. At one point I became frustrated with polynomials or something, so we watched a video that included this broadcast piece after witnessing video of the Trinity test. My father then commented that after the test, the director, Ken Bainbridge, walked up to Oppenheimer, leaned in close and said "Now we are all sons of bitches."
I think that may have hit me stronger than Oppenheimer's comment, because, perhaps, it was really the first time I heard my father intentionally curse without it being a response to pain or anger. Or perhaps it's because what was said was so succinct and modern. Over the past hundred years, there's been a war nearly every year and now here's a device that will change warfare, and the rest of the world, forever.

Just like Sliced Bread....yeah i'm off course but still.

CrazyGirl17:
This, just... this:

Red vs. Blue of course. How many points do I get? 2? 3? 9000<?

CrazyGirl17:
This, just... this:

Who wouldn't get the RvB reference?

CrazyGirl17:
This, just... this:

Red vs Blue.
My fav quote from that series?
Anything Caboose says.

As for my pick, i would say.....

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.
A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble‐sanded beaches of Santraginus Ⅴ, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand‐to‐hand‐combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
"

Zergadooful:

CrazyGirl17:
This, just... this:

Red vs. Blue of course. How many points do I get? 2? 3? 9000<?

You get a thousand points, but remeber, the points don't matter.

bl4ckh4wk64:
Who wouldn't get the RvB reference?

Yeah.. it's kinda obvious, now that I think about it...

Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
For I AM the meanest motherfucker in the valley and I am armed.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly... because you tread on my dreams." - Yeats, I think? Quoted in Equilibrium

"If Someone fucks with my command they get court marshall"

"What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person" - Paper towns by john green

"I'm not saying that everything is survivable. Just that everything except the last thing is" - Same

"Imagineing the Future is a kind of nostalgia" - Looking for alaska John Green

Irridium:
"Your species exists because we allow it. And it will end, because we demand it." - Sovereign, Mass Effect.

In fact, that whole conversation with him sent chills down my spine.

I never felt so great as when my Paragon Femshep basically turned around and went all Winston Churchill on him. Go Britain, Go Humanity!

and that leads me to my favourite quote:
'' we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender''

It's probably the only thing that brings out a patriot in me :p

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
-Andrew Ryan

"Your Prospect of living gone, you ran the light at dawn.
Protectors on your back, the light are on the track.
You now must face authority
you're nothing like me."
-System of a Down

And I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do; I don't mind.
Why should I be frightened of dying? See no reason for it-you've gotta go sometime.
- Gerry O'Driscoll

Most songs by Orbs (or Fear Before)
"If we give the horses blinder, they wont see the aproaching ledge. Too much time and effert spent on just another bridge."
"We trust the local doctors, we trust the medicine. Our child gets a scratch, we give our child a brand new head."
The entire song, Something Beautiful by Orbs (look it up REALLY good song)
"Just like I came into this world. All by myself I will leave it. I stared into the serpent's eyes. Forever once I felt horror"
There's so many more

"May the rats eat your eyes! The Darkness Comes!" Eternal Darkness

Lizzie Borden Got an axe
Gave her mother 40 wacks
When she saw what she had done
Gave her father 41

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked