Curious about the Avengers movie

So I've recently watched pretty much all of the cinema adaptations that are expected to subsequently comprise the background for the new Avengers movie, which has been announced for 2012 (as far as I understand that is Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and the upcoming Captain America). I really liked most of the films (especially Thor) and am rather bewildered as to how they plan to unite such, in my opinion, stylistically different movies into one. My interest for this franchise was sparked by the movies, so mind you I understand that I might not have a more definite understanding of what this will look like in the end since I am only very slightly familiar with the original source. But the subject of my curiosity is actually very specific.

In my opinion, what made Thor so great was this sense of grotesque but overall balance to it. The Shakespearean drama revolving around the setting of Odin's halls, yet a very simple, unrefined but wholesomely relatable relationship between Thor and Jane; the bold imaginative presentation of the fantasy elements alongside with the nearly cliche illustrations of our every-day earthly life experiences (i.e. the "epiphanizing conversation at the bar").

I am very interested to see how they intend to bring this through into a movie, which is supposed to also share origins with a movie like Iron Man, which I consider to be more one-dimensional (not saying whether that is bad or good). I have a feeling that they will have to really change the tone of either one plot or the other to make this movie work, which might make it feel very distorted in the sense of it being the continuation of the the story of Thor or Iron Man... or both. Anyway, it will be very interesting to see what comes out of this and I hope that the people who will be working on this are devoted to bringing through the "best of both worlds", so to speak. It would be a pity to see a movie claiming to be the continuation of Thor in 2012, but upon viewing it to witness something completely unrecognizable as a result of the movie having to adhere to the different tone of the Iron Man movies. And that goes both ways.

I am interested to know what you think on this topic and whether you consider it to be an issue worth considering in the first place :)

I was somewhat surprised by the director choice. I mean, i generally like Whedon but it seems like a departure.

I think the fact that Tony Stark is one dimensional will actually create some intrigue when he relates to the other characters. And the other characters might look at him and think "He really acts like that?"

This question will probably get answered after I see Captain America, but I'm curious to see how the Cap will become the leader of the group. Especially when you have a multi-billionaire tech genius, a Jekyll/Hyde loner, and a figurative god on your team, and your only claim to fame is that you're the peak of physical human achievement.

Well the thing is, this isn't the continuation of anyone's story, this is going to be a backdrop suitable for every character to work in.

I enjoyed the Thor movie's charm, and I get what you're saying, stylistically they are all quite different movies, but it's not going to be about any one character, it's going to be about them all. Earth's mightiest heroes united against a threat they can't face alone.

No one is going to watch Avengers because they're expecting what they loved from any of their favourite heroes' respective films. They are going to watch it because their heroes are gonna be scrapping it out on a global scale. To attempt to please everyone would result in a cluster-fuck.

None of those characters are stylistically different enough to not work in each others' worlds, tones or settings. Thor is probably the furthest away from the pack, but not far enough. The character-clash is going to dwarf the movie's tone anyway.

And as far as I'm concerned, a comic book movie that doesn't involve Matthew Vaughn means bad times ahead. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Joss Whedon is a good choice.

Also, grim 'n gritty.

InsomniJack:
I think the fact that Tony Stark is one dimensional will actually create some intrigue when he relates to the other characters. And the other characters might look at him and think "He really acts like that?"

This question will probably get answered after I see Captain America, but I'm curious to see how the Cap will become the leader of the group. Especially when you have a multi-billionaire tech genius, a Jekyll/Hyde loner, and a figurative god on your team, and your only claim to fame is that you're the peak of physical human achievement.

The cop out will probably be that they read about him in the history books in class, and he's a leader by reputation. Thor might have some words to say about it, but if he's still even similar to the old Thor, they'll just say he can't be trusted to lead the group.

ChromeAlchemist:
Well the thing is, this isn't the continuation of anyone's story, this is going to be a backdrop suitable for every character to work in.

I enjoyed the Thor movie's charm, and I get what you're saying, stylistically they are all quite different movies, but it's not going to be about any one character, it's going to be about them all. Earth's mightiest heroes united against a threat they can't face alone.

No one is going to watch Avengers because they're expecting what they loved from any of their favourite heroes' respective films. They are going to watch it because their heroes are gonna be scrapping it out on a global scale. To attempt to please everyone would result in a cluster-fuck.

That is a good point, but I do have something I would like to emphasize: you can't really say that it won't be a continuation of anyone's story, much like you can't tear a character from the setting within which he or she has evolved. Catering to everyone is one thing, but capitalizing on the streangths of the movies they created is another. Furthermore, they already losely tied the settings together (Agent Coulson).

NotR:

ChromeAlchemist:

That is a good point, but I do have something I would like to emphasize: you can't really say that it won't be a continuation of anyone's story, much like you can't tear a character from the setting within which he or she has evolved. Catering to everyone is one thing, but capitalizing on the streangths of the movies they created is another. Furthermore, they already losely tied the settings together (Agent Coulson).

True, I can't really say that, but I'm just theorising from my experience with Avengers comics and team-ups in media. Usually it's everyone's respective introductions which peek into that character's life a little, then the rest of the movie is about everyone working together (or shifting apart).

Personally, I've never seen a team-up movie/series that ever took anything from the series the characters are from, except the characters themselves. I actually think it's safer that way.

My bet is that anything you liked from any of the past movies, you'll see maybe 5 minutes of that in this film. 8 max. I don't expect depth from this film, I expect explosions and personalities bouncing off of each other.

I'm still pretty sure we'll see Loki possessing Hulk, and a 50 minute rampage after that.

ChromeAlchemist:

InsomniJack:

The cop out will probably be that they read about him in the history books in class, and he's a leader by reputation. Thor might have some words to say about it, but if he's still even similar to the old Thor, they'll just say he can't be trusted to lead the group.

I don't know, I think there could be tension between Thor and Captain America. Thor might have learned the benefit of the human race with Jane and that small New Mexico town, but the thought of being led by someone from that race who is weaker than his usual team (Sif, The Warriors Three) could cause Thor to try and take the reigns himself.

But that's just me. And personally, I should probably stop imagining what the film could be like and just wait until the finished product comes out in theaters.

NotR:
SNIP

The underlying tension in the commics between Captain America, Iron man And Thor is a great source for material, so I hope they can build on this.

All in all the Avengers is a mix of weird characters that do seem to work together

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked