Superman redesign = Fail

Pages PREV 1 2 3

voorhees123:
Now i dont collect the comics, nor am i a fanboy, but even i consider the original look of Superman as iconic and shouldnt be messed around with to much. Maybe change the look of his boots and shield and get rid of the pants. But the redesign looks crap. Turn up jeans and large boots? Seriously!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/10/dc-relaunch-grant-morrison-and-rags-morales-on-action-comics-1/

Maybe its an 'Inprocess pic before he becomes Superman' look like when Spiderman movie had that crappy suit before his proper one was made? But he already has the cape and shield top so i am not so sure. Makes you worry about Batman doesnt it?

Photobucket

This isn't his new costume. It might be part of a flashback to when he was younger, it might be something he wears casually, but his new costume is this:

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/template.php?src=/images1/aimages/sm_cv1m3kl4maps0d.jpg

Basically identical but with redesigned boots and knees, and no more speedos on the outside.

Sweet, so all you need to be a superhero now is a T-shirt and some long jean shorts.
Oh, and a hilariously tiny cape, of course.

Eh, I can believe this is what a younger Superman would wear while just starting out.

The blog he got that from has this image too, along with matching images of Supergirl and Superboy. I think the tights are still here, just slightly altered.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06/10/history-happens-now/

Also, no Flash images yet? The most we get is Kid Flash, but where's the good ol' Flash? I DEMAND THE FLASH!!!

fundayz:

GrizzlerBorno:
What do you mean? What as inaccurate about the use of that word in the sentence?

The fact that superhero costumes are the exact opposite of standardized...

Oh I see. No, my point was that superhero costumes remind us of law enforcement Uniforms. And I know that sounds stupid, but it's true.

Like that dude in......I wanna say Phoenix, Arizona or someplace... who patrols the streets at night wearing a big black and Gold costume clearly inspired from Batman or spawn, over a stab-proof/bulletproof vest. He says the only reason he wears the goofy armor is because it acts as a deterrent itself. He would be a lot less effective (and more often stabbed) if he just put on a balaclava on top of a blue t-shirt and a pair of jeans.

I'm saying there's a psychological factor working for both costumes and uniforms.

When did Superman turn into Everyman?

Tsukuyomi:
It's a horrid design choice, but then again given the REST of DC's lineups, it kinda fits. Many heroes are getting a costume overhaul. That said....

I'm not horrendously worried about this visual re-design. He can wear whatever he wants, so long as it keeps in with his personality. and this...kinda fits. They may not stick with it, but I'm willing to give it a shot. As long as the character himself remains intact, it really doesn't matter what he wears. In a sense he's always been a kind of laid-back person, so this kinda fits. and let us not forget that yes, the man is from Smallville. Classic, cliche, country town. If the usual attire for men in Smallville ISN'T shirt, jeans, and workboots, I'd be rather surprised.

Furthermore it's the cover, likely, for the #1. No way indicative of his eventual or final design. Plus there are DEFINITELY worse out there. Check the new cover of Teen Titans for what I mean. Although I think in a sense even Connor's outfit kinda matches him.

and yes, as if this isn't enough evidence, I am a comic book geek. Haven't been reading TOO long, only a few years now, but yeah.

I agree actually alot

Amondren:
Well it seems Superman is now a mechanic from the south (of america) and he's gonna kick ass and change oil. God this is such a stupid costume.

If you make that a new hero instead of Superman, I would happily read that comic. There's just something awesome about the idea of a Southern super hero who kicks ass and changes oil -- although it could be because I'm also from the South :P

OT:

For an origin story costume, it's not that bad. Spiderman's costume looked worse, remember? The real new costume looks about as good as any other Superman costume.

Maybe it's casual Friday? But really Superman's Costume was always sort of retarded.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Amondren:
Well it seems Superman is now a mechanic from the south (of america) and he's gonna kick ass and change oil. God this is such a stupid costume.

If you make that a new hero instead of Superman, I would happily read that comic.

Yeah thats what I'm saying if its someone else whatever but if its superman he's become somewhat of a Icon with his look.

That's not even a costume, that's a tight shirt and raggy pants.

I haven't read into this whole DC Reboot thing, but if that is Superman's new outfit I expect it not to last long. See...

Superman's costume, as with most famous characters, is iconic and emotionally tied to the character. This is not just because we always see them in it though, this is because this is something that is unique to them, something normal people in their world wouldn't wear . It becomes part of them, and anyone who takes on the mantle of drawing that character will inevitably draw from the costume.

This design here looks like he's wearing civilian clothes, something the average joe would wear. His outfit no longer is iconic nor is it unique, his costume goes from 1-of-a-kind uniform to normal clothing. You tell an artist to draw "normal clothing" and designs will vary greatly instead of slightly as it would be with the iconic uniform. I predict that once it's passed on from artist to artist and writer to writer each one will be tempted or drawn to change his outfit.

Honestly, this looks like something temporary or series specific. Like the Kingdom Hearts version of Mickey Mouse, it's a design that's mean for one purpose or one series only and is not the overall new look. Honestly, I hope I'm right.

Also this'd negate the whole being able to get changed in a phone booth/closet/small enclosure thing, though being 2011 I don't think Phone Booths are a concern.

AdamRBi:
That's not even a costume, that's a tight shirt and raggy pants.

I haven't read into this whole DC Reboot thing, but if that is Superman's new outfit I expect it not to last long. See...

Superman's costume, as with most famous characters, is iconic and emotionally tied to the character. This is not just because we always see them in it though, this is because this is something that is unique to them, something normal people in their world wouldn't wear . It becomes part of them, and anyone who takes on the mantle of drawing that character will inevitably draw from the costume.

This design here looks like he's wearing civilian clothes, something the average joe would wear. His outfit no longer is iconic nor is it unique, his costume goes from 1-of-a-kind uniform to normal clothing. You tell an artist to draw "normal clothing" and designs will vary greatly instead of slightly as it would be with the iconic uniform. I predict that once it's passed on from artist to artist and writer to writer each one will be tempted or drawn to change his outfit.

Honestly, this looks like something temporary or series specific. Like the Kingdom Hearts version of Mickey Mouse, it's a design that's mean for one purpose or one series only and is not the overall new look. Honestly, I hope I'm right.

Also this'd negate the whole being able to get changed in a phone booth/closet/small enclosure thing, though being 2011 I don't think Phone Booths are a concern.

IT'S NOT HIS NEW COSTUME. HIS NEW COSTUME IS IN MY ABOVE POST. Which I believe is the cover of Action Comics #1. So Yea, Nothing to worry about.

His cape is so small, plus why is his eye glowing red? Shouldn't it be white at least? *sigh*. Not to mention he looks like some other super hero rather then the tradition beloved super man we all came to know and love.

Kenjitsuka:

Autofaux:
Superman, the Mechanic

Haha, true that! ^^
Also, since when does he have those very evil looking red glowing eyes?

Since heat vision became one of his staple powers. Or when he gets super pissed off.

You know, I want to know which Flash they will use. Will it be the standard: Barry Allen as Flash, Wally West as Kid Flash? Or will they make Wally the Flash and Bart Kid Flash? Probably the first to please the fans, but I Wally always was my favorite Flash (and my favorite Kid Flash, actually... fuck, I'm torn!).

Well, that just looks silly.

Much like Superman has ALWAYS looked.

Is it just me or does the OP pic look like they stole wolverines forearms?

Seems fine to me. Wish it didn't have a cape though. Sure Superman is an icon, but he is also a comic book character who is meant to change and evolve over time. Either kill him off or let the writers change him, only choice we have really.

voorhees123:
Now i dont collect the comics, nor am i a fanboy, but even i consider the original look of Superman as iconic and shouldnt be messed around with to much. Maybe change the look of his boots and shield and get rid of the pants. But the redesign looks crap. Turn up jeans and large boots? Seriously!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/10/dc-relaunch-grant-morrison-and-rags-morales-on-action-comics-1/

Maybe its an 'Inprocess pic before he becomes Superman' look like when Spiderman movie had that crappy suit before his proper one was made? But he already has the cape and shield top so i am not so sure. Makes you worry about Batman doesnt it?

Photobucket

According to these covers all the other characters (including Batman) look fine.

http://insidepulse.com/2011/06/13/dc-comics-relaunch-breaking-it-all-down-part-1-of-5/

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked