Can you tell time on an analog (non-digital) clock?
Yes
90.7% (1226)
90.7% (1226)
No
0.2% (3)
0.2% (3)
Yes, but it takes me a while
8% (108)
8% (108)
Mostly no
0.3% (4)
0.3% (4)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Can you tell time on a "regular" clock?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Sure I can. But if it's one of those clocks without numbers (no 1-12), it will take me a while to process which one its at.

I wear a watch that doesn't even have numbers on it. It just has hands and a point to mark where the 12 should be.

So I'd say yeah.

And I can't say I've ever met anyone older than like, 8 who can't, really.

Analog clocks are an anachronism as far as I'm concerned. I never see them, so I don't ever have to use them. My ability to read them is stunted from disuse.

it takes abit more of a pause for me as im special, but i can do it so long as there are numbers, no numbers and i just look at it and get lost.

magicmonkeybars:
It scares me that this is a thing, not being able to read time off of a analog clock.
Don't they teach anything at schools anymore ?

New tech tends to override older tech. Like analog vs. digital. Although I've still found that people who can't read an analog clock to be the but of jokes, since I never really found it that difficult. All you need to be able to do is count and multiply by fives.

Just a question where are you from OP? most of the clocks where I live in britain are analogue the only digital clocks you see are alarm clocks or retro watches.

SenseOfTumour:

I also wonder if we're learning less because it's so easy to access the information when needed, there's no feeling of needing to know it in advance.

But surely that should also have the effect of learning more, because you have easier access to information. If I am puzzled about what someone is referring to I google it and learn what it is whereas before I would have to rely on them taking the time to tell me or going to a library to try and find it in a hideously outdated book (my biggest problem with libraries). As a history graduate I think the the internet is really exciting for keeping up to date with research whereas before you would have to wait until a historian published a book. In which time the information could become outdated and erroneous.

It really is good for changable information as long as you double check sources.

I can read analogue, but I prefer digital since I use the 24 hour clock.

I struggle more with digital then analogue genrally.

I actually prefer them to digital ones, since i can tell the time just by the shape of the clock without taking the extra 1/4 seconds to read it, or like 5 seconds when i just woke up and my eyes sight is a bit blurry

PFT I can tell time using a sun dial! that said the time on the sun dial has no correlation to the actual time we use.

The last time I met someone who couldn't read an analogue clock was when I was in 4th Grade, and he was considered a bit.... slow. Reading an analogue clock is easy as pie - the only excuse anyone would have for not being able to read an analogue clock is illiteracy.

Analogue, digital, binary, it's all good :)

Yes, and it takes no appreciable amount of time longer. I also use terminology like quarter to and quarter past, however I am not annoyed when someone gives me the time and says something like "It's five forty-five". However I get a bit annoyed when I'm told the time in a backward amalgamation of those two, such as: "It's forty past six".

I have a friend who can't in a reasonable amount of time, by the way. He has to, in his words, "work it out". I don't understand the difficulty, but he is also dyslexic. How that could affect clock face reading baffles me.

After all my days in school as a kid and a number of detentions, I learned very quickly.

The only analogue clock I ever had trouble reading was a "left-handed" clock, this is where the numbers run in the opposite direction to a standard analogue clock (so for example 3 is on the left and 9 is on the right)

Personally though, I prefer my binary watch for time telling as 9 times out of 10 in confuses those that look at it.

It is scary that "Yes" is not 100%.

Yes, I can read the time like any normal person past 7 years old would off of an analogue clock / watch. But I much prefer digital because it is awesome. In my opinion. And easier. And 2 people said no? I thought there was a certain minimum age to join the Escapist 0.o

Regular, digital obviously, military time. Give me a compass and I can tell you the time of day by the sun.

But Analog clocks are prettier. They are very slightly less efficient as you can't immediately tell the specific time, you tend to round it to ten or five more often, but they have a second hand. I answered yes.

ultimateownage:
I prefer Digital because it's easier to read, I don't want to have to piece together what the damn time is! But I can read analogue clocks just fine.

leviticusd:
I prefer analog and except for my alarm clock, every clock in the house is analog. What I don't like is those with roman numerals that do four wrong. Most clocks put IIII instead of IV. It drives me batty. I don't know why.

Really? I have never seen a clock face do that.

Just google "Roman analog clock face" and go to pics. More than half of them will have the IIII. It bothers me more than it should. My wife hates going to furniture and the like because I rage every time I see one (and that includes the big one she bought for the living room)!

Ya its the type of thing they teach you in school when you are 5. I think it would be rather sad if somebody couldnt read a proper clock.

Tiger Sora:
Regular, digital obviously, military time. Give me a compass and I can tell you the time of day by the sun.

Real men just need a knife to tell the time.

2 People voted No? Why? Long one shows minutes, short one hours and really fast one seconds, what else there is to understand?

leviticusd:

ultimateownage:
I prefer Digital because it's easier to read, I don't want to have to piece together what the damn time is! But I can read analogue clocks just fine.

leviticusd:
I prefer analog and except for my alarm clock, every clock in the house is analog. What I don't like is those with roman numerals that do four wrong. Most clocks put IIII instead of IV. It drives me batty. I don't know why.

Really? I have never seen a clock face do that.

Just google "Roman analog clock face" and go to pics. More than half of them will have the IIII. It bothers me more than it should. My wife hates going to furniture and the like because I rage every time I see one (and that includes the big one she bought for the living room)!

Holy hell, you're right!
You've just ruined 90% of all Analogue clocks for me. D=

Yep, I wouldn't be wearing my analogue wrist watch if I couldn't read it.

I make it a point to learn how to do things the old way before I do things the new way, so yeah, I can read them as easily as a digital one. I can also read 24h clocks, digital and analog.

I can read them, yes.

The ticking annoys me to no end though, so I refuse to go near them for long periods of time. Every clock in my room is digital, and I intend to keep it that way.

If the clock isn't regular, it doesn't matter if I can read it, it'll be wrong.

; D

Yes I can, I always wear an analog watch. A wind-up analog watch. I bet you haven't seen one of those in a while.

It's not a problem for me, I prefer analogue anyways, it looks classier than digital does now matter how you dress it up. :D

I could never figure out how to set up a digital watch... D:

Yes for just like most people on the escapist I'm not a retard. Seriously who can't tell time on clocks? Isn't that a skill you learn when you're 5?

Almost everyone I know cann't. Then again I do live in California xD

The day I see people can't tell time from a analogue clock would be the day I would facepalm. I mean seriously should that ever happen then it clearly shows we are relying on technology far too much. Well ok it not like I can tell the time from looking at the sun position but it those who can't use analogue clock would find it quite difficult.

Wait, what? Some people can't tell the time off an analogue clock?

s47t,korynkrthhe

Sorry about that, just had to remove my face from my keyboard.

Seriously?

I just can't fathom that.

I prefer them to digital clocks really and I stopped wearing a digital wristwatch since I'm no longer a child (no offence to any adult wearers out there, just my opinion).

I'm no elitist though, if someone "prefers" digital for whatever reason that's fine, but I've seen some who simply cannot understand analogue and it confounds me. It's really not that difficult to understand, unless theres something I'm not seeing...

Of course I can, I'm not retarded.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked