"Ugly" People Booted Off Dating Site

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Yeah that's going to be helpful to the people with enough self-esteem problems already in place that they have trouble meeting people.

Fucking idiots, I swear to god when I get into power *grumbles off into the distance*

It's a shallow site for shallow people. I figure it's doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. I don't get outraged about it.

It's a fact many people choose partners based on aesthetics. There's biological reasons for this, so it's not actually as much of an injustice as people believe. People have the choice to sign up, and those who do sign up want that and they should get it.

It's yet another place on the internet filled with people who have opinions and views I don't respect, but have rights to hold and celebrate their opinions and views that I do respect. Everyone has criteria, and for every criteria, there's someone else that gets hurt and rejected because they don't fit it. That's evolution working its magic.

ReservoirAngel:
Yeah that's going to be helpful to the people with enough self-esteem problems already in place that they have trouble meeting people.

Fucking idiots, I swear to god when I get into power *grumbles off into the distance*

If you're dating someone to reinforce their self-esteem issues, you really shouldn't. You're doing them a cruelty.

The thing here is that we're dealing with adults, and adults have to be able to navigate the world on their own. I don't think that if you have self-esteem or rejection issues that it makes sense to join a website that rejects people for being unattractive. That's just begging for a kick in the pants. But if you do, and you get rejected, it was because of your own choice.

The world doesn't exist to prop up people with self-esteem issues. Nor should people mitigate their sexual preferences just in case it might offend someone who does not fit their sexual preferences. That's morally wrong.

What's the problem here? The guy made a site to keep vacuous narcissists paired off with one another, thus preventing them from getting on the nerves of everyone else. He may be one himself, but that doesn't change the fact that he's done something useful.
Someone ought to make a dating site for ugly, delusional people, though..

theres only one solution. its simple.
kill. the batman.
or we get a picture, make it utterly ugly and vote the profile up to extreme beauty levels or whatever.

Togs:
No, not everyone is beautiful, the site stated it was for "beautiful people".

Some people are more attractive than others, just a fact in life, getting pissy about is a bit silly IMO.

i think it was more about how the guy said 'were sorry you thought you were beautiful, youre not.' and how crude he was.

Eri:
The site is just so stupid. Not even talking about the ugly people thing. Good looking people DON'T NEED a dating site to find another person. I'm sure they get asked out like every other day. I know several girls who are just -moderately- attractive and they get asked out all the time when they are at work. And that's just at work.

This is my thinking, as well. If you're a "beautiful" person, I doubt that you have trouble finding dates on your own.

This site just serves to stroke the egos of its members, by allowing them to post pics of themselves and fap to how attractive they are.

Woodsey:

TimeLord:
What the hell Internet?! Everyone is beautiful,

No they're not.

Anyway, its a site based around access depending on how well other people rate your looks, of course it isn't going to be nice about it.

Since beauty is subjective, everyone is (most likely, though it can never be proven) beautiful to someone. However, we do have a western ideal of "beautiful people", I guess this is what the site means.

DracoSuave:
It's a shallow site for shallow people. I figure it's doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. I don't get outraged about it.

It's a fact many people choose partners based on aesthetics. There's biological reasons for this, so it's not actually as much of an injustice as people believe. People have the choice to sign up, and those who do sign up want that and they should get it.

It's yet another place on the internet filled with people who have opinions and views I don't respect, but have rights to hold and celebrate their opinions and views that I do respect. Everyone has criteria, and for every criteria, there's someone else that gets hurt and rejected because they don't fit it. That's evolution working its magic.

ReservoirAngel:

If you're dating someone to reinforce their self-esteem issues, you really shouldn't. You're doing them a cruelty.

The thing here is that we're dealing with adults, and adults have to be able to navigate the world on their own. I don't think that if you have self-esteem or rejection issues that it makes sense to join a website that rejects people for being unattractive. That's just begging for a kick in the pants. But if you do, and you get rejected, it was because of your own choice.

The world doesn't exist to prop up people with self-esteem issues. Nor should people mitigate their sexual preferences just in case it might offend someone who does not fit their sexual preferences. That's morally wrong.

All very true. It's still a stupid site, though, as it exists solely for the self-obsessed.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't hate the site, I just hate all the people on it.

DracoSuave:

ReservoirAngel:

The world doesn't exist to prop up people with self-esteem issues. Nor should people mitigate their sexual preferences just in case it might offend
someone who does not fit their sexual preferences. That's morally wrong.

Pretty much said what I was going to say and more. I don't get the rage about this. Yeah, it's a ridiculous site, but this isn't the first time the site has been in the news for this kind of thing. They have a right to do it. Why get so upset about it?

Yup, Greg Hodge definitely looks douchey... and a bit retarded.

Dr Snakeman:
All very true. It's still a stupid site, though, as it exists solely for the self-obsessed.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't hate the site, I just hate all the people on it.

No doubt.

They're not the sort of people I'd want to date. But that's okay, I'm a scruffy hippy so the feeling is mutual!

Wee for mutuality!

Beautifulpeople.com get rid of Ugly people? And everyone here is outraged? Jesus christ people. Are you annoyed that the KKK website deleted black people too?

Agayek:

TimeLord:
"More than 30,000 people have been banned from a dating website which says it's exclusively limited to beautiful users."

Greg Hodge, the site's managing director, said: "We got suspicious when tens of thousands of new members were accepted, many of whom were no oil painting.

"We responded immediately, repairing the damage from the Shrek virus and putting every new member [to the vote].

Greg Hodge
BeautifulPeople.com
"We have sincere regret for the unfortunate people who were wrongly admitted to the site and who believed, albeit for a short while, that they were beautiful," he added.

What the hell Internet?! Everyone is beautiful, they don't need you telling them whether they are or not.

-40 faith in humanity

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/13841257 via Scorched_Cascade

Considering the entire point of the website is for attractive people, it would make sense they'd ban the unattractive.

And you're fucking crazy OP. Not everyone is beautiful. This is a fact. If everyone was beautiful, no one would be. For better or worse, we just have to deal with that.

Quoted for truth.

I tend to agree.
The site is for beautiful people, obviously.
If you do not fit their definition of beautiful, then why sign up in the first place?

I signed up to this site to see if I can get through. I consider myself attractive but I want to see if I fit shallow people's definition of beautiful. So far, 4 positive votes. I will report back with my results to further increase my ego. I wouldn't seriously date any of these bitches though.

inFAMOUSCowZ:
But isn't beauty also subjective? I think of myself as a really good looking guy, now I'm sure others would agree. But there would also be those would think I look like shit.

That's what I would say, I'm quite pretty albeit chubby and I have male friends who aren't attracted to me but I also have men who act like complete stalkers and think im the most beautiful thing in the world.

Beauty is really subjective especially in humans.

I think what they are trying to do is call people 'conventionally attractive' Ie. what is most attractive in society atm. I am a history grad and I know that most tanned skinny girls who people think are gorgeous wouldn't have got a second look in the 50's. People preferred curvy pale girls becuase it showed that you were well off basically. You were well fed (in a time that people were still on rations) and you could afford to keep yourself out of the sun. It's just how the human brain works. But even then there would have been people who found the tanned skinny girls attractive, outside convention.

paynexkiller:
Beautifulpeople.com get rid of Ugly people? And everyone here is outraged? Jesus christ people. Are you annoyed that the KKK website deleted black people too?

No but I'm annoyed that there are such websites ;)

Goofguy:

Yup, Greg Hodge definitely looks douchey... and a bit retarded.

Well personally I find him unnattractive, He's orange for a start, He's blonde and I prefer dark haired men he also had weasley eyes and looks mistrustful. He's also quite muscular and I like thin men.

I'm sure there are plenty of women who like him though.

Excuse me for a moment *smashes head on desk repeatedly* sorry about that. Please let that site be hacked, because that's terrible.

Well, it kind of is their site. They bought and paid for it, aren't breaking any rules, and I'm assuming or hoping that its members know what's in store before they sign up. So really, they have every right to do whatever they want with it.

And me, I have every right to ignore/boycott the bastards.

i know im ugly as sin and hopefully if i can break the website if i put up my pics. yes im so ugly that my pictures can destroy websites

Lilani:

Dango:
A website for narcissistic assholes...

I am disappoint.

I feel quite the opposite. Sure, it is appalling that there is actually a market for such a thing, but if someone is actually so openly shallow as to want to choose their partner based entirely on appearance, then by God let them have their cake and eat it. So that way in about 50 or 60 years when they are old, saggy, wrinkled, and alone the source of their regret will be all the more clear to them.

So, what you're saying is, keep them stuck to themselves, so that people who want more from others (*gasp* ...a personality?) won't have to suffer when the looks fade?

I'm all for that.

Mr. Hodge isn't exactly the image of perfection though, to be honest:

I love that. Isn't this old news. I remember reading it and thinking "What a way to get publicity" I don't care to dictate who you allow on your website lol. It's like a Nazi website banning a guy cause he's black....yeah it's racist but still.

Look at this as a possitive thing! Now we all know who the assholes are, they've been forceably seperated from us.

I don't see anything wrong with that. I wouldn't date an ugly chick. Would you? Didn't think so. He just removed a bunch of junk that you won't have to search through to find someone you would actually go out with.

Fuck this. That's all I can say, really. Fuck this. Well, maybe more. Whatever the site is, even outside the internet, it pisses me off to no limit when people put others down and such because of what they look like. I don't see how it's any different to racism. That's putting people down because of what race they're born as. Yet putting people down because of what looks they're born with is mostly accepted.
Ugh.

Togs:
No, not everyone is beautiful, the site stated it was for "beautiful people".

Some people are more attractive than others, just a fact in life, getting pissy about is a bit silly IMO.

What, so it's right that because people weren't lucky enough to be born with certain facial structure, what they're allowed to do should be limited?

Okay so a dating site where the community takes a vote on how beautiful or not beautiful someone is that's fine, but "Shrek Virus"? "We have sincere regret for the unfortunate people who were wrongly admitted to the site and who believed, albeit for a short while, that they were beautiful,"? I think we have another contender for next years Douche Off.

While some people are definitely beautiful and others are quite undeniably ugly, there's a massive gray area inbetween. How do they judge?

I am literally grinning now, this is one of the funniest things I can think of. I think it's the bit where they apologise for giving the rejects the idea that they were beautiful that really sets me off!

To be fair everyone who goes on a dating site performs their own version of this check internally, this site simply eliminates the middle man by making sure no one you see is ugly.

I wouldn't go worrying yourself about the people who got rejected, just think of what kind of people they'd have been to sign up in the first place. Don't go thinking their ugliness makes them nice people, plenty of ugly people are really this shallow. There seems to be a perception that beauty is a sliding scale with 'beautiful' at one end and 'nice personality' at the other, it's not.

A Tasty Burger:
I don't see anything wrong with that. I wouldn't date an ugly chick. Would you? Didn't think so. He just removed a bunch of junk that you won't have to search through to find someone you would actually go out with.

Yeah, pretty much this.

iseko:
Perfectly fine with me. I don't need internet to get a date. I discovered an entire world behind my pc screen. Who would have known?

*Peers behind PC screen and looks bemused*

EDIT *Double checks between PC screen and shrugs*

Dango:
A website for narcissistic assholes...

I am disappoint.

Kind of like this one?

OP, I find this to be rather funny. Not everyone is beautiful, but at least I know I'm not so attractive. Sure, the fellow that said it is a total asshole, but the point of the site for what is generally considered to be beautiful. So, yeah, if a person is old and wrinkly and ugly they are of course going to get kicked off. It's in the fucking name, people.

Also, is there a picture of this fellow? I bet he's one ugly motherfucker. That would be freaking hilarious.

Not very nice but it's their site, reputation and business to manage how they like. It's no different than restaurants seating people near the window to make them look busier, or nightclubs forcing long queues for entry to appear more popular. It's no different from nightclubs offering women free entry in order to get more paying men to visit. If we don't approve of something, don't validate it by giving them any money. They'll eventually change or dissappear and if they don't, do you really care?

I don't see the problem here. There's a dating site that's exclusive to ugly people, and if you're too good looking, they will either not activate an account for you, or kick you off the site. And there's plenty of sites that don't care what you look like. It's a privately owned site that tells people right up front what they're getting into, so I see no problem here.

/thread

But let's get off our pedestals of moral superiority for a second and get real: some people are extremely visually beautiful, while others aren't. This does not speak to their inner beauty or personality, this is just about physical attractiveness.

And let's also get real about the fact that some people are vain or have high standards and as such, will only consider dating other beautiful people (9s or 10s). This is a fact, even if it seems wrong to the rest of us.

And let's also get real about the rights of private services. They have the right to set whatever criteria they want. Because they're just ONE of MANY options. There are plenty of other all-purpose dating sites out there, why should we care if one is vain and shallow? If people want that sort of service, doesn't the site have a right to provide it? A strip club has the right to refuse ugly applicants because that feeds directly into their profits (clients don't want to see ugly women strip).

I understand and agree that this practice is shallow and disrespectful, but I also understand that there is nothing compulsory about it. We can choose from plenty of equal-opportunity dating sites, so there's no point in getting worked up about the few that have exclusive criteria or unusually high standards.

TimeLord:
What the hell Internet?! Everyone is beautiful, they don't need you telling them whether they are or not.

No, not everyone is beautiful. You might be right if you said everyone has value, but not everyone is beautiful.

I think a lot of people here don't get that in order to get into the site you must put up a picture and members of the site vote ya or nay, these people got into the sight WITHOUT BEING VOTED IN, even if the were beautiful they would have been banned they can re apply and get in for real but they were banned because they were not voted in.

I really want to apply for this site just to see if they think I am beautiful enough... lol

JasonKaotic:

What, so it's right that because people weren't lucky enough to be born with certain facial structure, what they're allowed to do should be limited?

The site was for "beautiful people", its right there in the URL- the guys reply was douchey but its how it works- I mean how would we like it if this site was suddenly swamped by a bunch of jocks?

And you can get as red in the face as you want mate, but its the way the world works- people are judged on silly, inconsequential things, whether it be hair colour, religion, class, race, parentage or a hundred other things. Its how the human mind has learnt to make sense of the world around it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked