Is technology dominating our lives?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Just something I've noticed over the past couple of years, humans are becoming more and more reliant on technology. For example, several days ago my home phone died on me. I had to go up the road to use a phone booth to call Telecom, where I was promptly greeted by a pre-recorded message bot. I was put on hold for an hour, although I pretty much got sick of waiting and hung up ten minutes. I had no phone, and no internet for almost a week.

I've noticed both myself and my friends relying on technology more and more. I communicate using Facebook,. I complete homework online. We often work on computers in class. And when that technology fails, we're left with nothing to do. Compared to a few years ago, where work was done with pen and paper, technology can sometimes be more of an obstacle than anything else.

I'm not saying for one second that technology is bad. What with me spending nearly all my time around it, I can admit I would be a bit lost without my laptop or iPod. It can just be such an obstacle sometimes, and I want to hear some other opinions.

So, what do you think Escapist? Is technology taking over our lives?

Yep, it is. But I love technology,.

*goes back to posting on the Escapist using iPad, listening to music on iPhone and playing my 360*

My life could only be more technologically itergrated if I was in a VR machine.

Well of course it is, isn't that the point of developing it so much? So we can use it in even more ways that make certain tasks easier?

How much you use the technology available to you is entirely up to you...for now. But after a while, just as they have been in the last two decades, technology will creep more and more into our lives, becoming less of a choice and more of a necessity.

Saying it's "taking over" is sort of silly, that makes it sound like a disease or something. Do you actually think we'd be better off 30 years ago when cell phones weighed a good 10 to 15 pounds and email was the stuff of dreams? Not to mention all of the medical technology we have now.

It is...and i really don't like it.
I appreciate that I can type 4 times faster than I can write but that's about all it's good for in my opinion. Though my opinion doesn't really count, all I do with my life is martial arts and the girlfriend. Technology never really makes a show stopping appearance.

For me to truely ponder technology is to have my mind blown. I mean, we have surrounded ourselves with a world of our creation, with everything being from the human mind tailored to the way our thoughts function.

It would be the most wonderful thing ever if it was designed for progress and art, but sadly, its all capitalism, and I can't help but feel being constantly exploited.

Still, for all we have designed for ourselves, we, as human beings have been designed for the Earth, and cannot neglect enjoying the beauty of nature without detriment to ourselves.

Back in the olden days, if your spear broke you would have no chance at bringing down that mammoth. If you had no farming equipment in the 1300s you would have to beg on the streets...
Technology has always dominated how we live.
With more advanced technology comes more accidents, flaws and nuisances, but in the end it works most of the time and when it works it serves to make our day that much easier.
I doubt you ever stop to think about all the technology that goes into every second of your daily life.

Pen and paper is technology. As is the postal services. The reason you think of these as "better" is that they are more reliable than new technology like the internet. This, however stems from the fact that the internet is still in its infancy. There's nothing wrong with the technology, rather the problem is that you live in an age where we are inventing a lot of new tecnology and it hasn't had the time to become foolproof yet.
You just wait, in a few years people will be complaining about how their telepathy brain-implants are sooo unreliable, and be yearning for the simpler days of the good old reliable android phones.

EcstaticObsessive:
Just something I've noticed over the past couple of years, humans are becoming more and more reliant on technology. For example, several days ago my home phone died on me. I had to go up the road to use a phone booth to call Telecom, where I was promptly greeted by a pre-recorded message bot. I was put on hold for an hour, although I pretty much got sick of waiting and hung up ten minutes. I had no phone, and no internet for almost a week.

I've noticed both myself and my friends relying on technology more and more. I communicate using Facebook,. I complete homework online. We often work on computers in class. And when that technology fails, we're left with nothing to do. Compared to a few years ago, where work was done with pen and paper, technology can sometimes be more of an obstacle than anything else.

I'm not saying for one second that technology is bad. What with me spending nearly all my time around it, I can admit I would be a bit lost without my laptop or iPod. It can just be such an obstacle sometimes, and I want to hear some other opinions.

So, what do you think Escapist? Is technology taking over our lives?

There is a hypothesis that suggests that we are what we are because of technology, from a simple animal hide sling to carry an infant to the digital computer, out evolution could well depend on technology going forward as it has in the past.

True? I don't know, but it is a hell of an interesting idea to me at least.

Lilani:
Well of course it is, isn't that the point of developing it so much? So we can use it in even more ways that make certain tasks easier?

How much you use the technology available to you is entirely up to you...for now. But after a while, just as they have been in the last two decades, technology will creep more and more into our lives, becoming less of a choice and more of a necessity.

Saying it's "taking over" is sort of silly, that makes it sound like a disease or something. Do you actually think we'd be better off 30 years ago when cell phones weighed a good 10 to 15 pounds and email was the stuff of dreams? Not to mention all of the medical technology we have now.

Sometimes it seems like technology is just going backwards. Remember the days when all you had to do to fix a game was blow into the game cartridge? Yeah, me neither.

And fair enough, technology helps in so many ways. I mean, I can't remember the days when I didn't spend a majority of my time on the internet. In a way, my life is the internet (foreveralone.jpg) as I can talk to my friends on here, talk to complete strangers, pretty much do whatever I want.

Well considering my Nokia E72 replaced my netbook and PDA, my biggest question now is which brand of technology will dominate our lives? With all the major players on the field, who will eventually take over as dominate corporate entity? As all major corporations are now labelling small players as their own who, will in the distant future, take over all competition and name themselves enterprise of the millennium?

Eh...try living without fire. We have become utterly dependant on fire. And don't get me started on cutting implements or the lever.

EcstaticObsessive:
Sometimes it seems like technology is just going backwards. Remember the days when all you had to do to fix a game was blow into the game cartridge? Yeah, me neither.

Neither can I.
Oh, wait, you mean the time when you had to blow in game cartridges to remove the dust that accumulated in them in order to play?

Yeah, those games weren't broken. They just had a design flaw that we now have eliminated.
When those "good old" games were actually broken, there was nothing you could do, aside from getting a new one.

Today, when a disc is scratched, you can actually get it rebuffed and repaired. Of course, if you break the game in two, there's still nothing you can do about it.

Knowledge and technology is the only real thing separating us from cavemen, if they knew then what we know now they would have the same society, only less crowded :P

So yeah it's been an integral part of our lives for a long time and rightly so, it is the only way we can push intellectual evolution, because waiting for the natural one just takes too fucking long.
And yes all the advantages come with a bag of disadvantages, but that is what we need to work on and push things forward.

Been browsing the internets, found an old, slightly related article on Cracked.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games/

Thanks for the contributions guys, it's really fascinating to get some other opinions!

Yep, notice what you are using to post.

Yes.

Within 2 feet of me are 5 screens all feeding me information and media.

And I fucking love it.

Jonluw:

EcstaticObsessive:

Neither can I.
Oh, wait, you mean the time when you had to blow in game cartridges to remove the dust that accumulated in them in order to play?

Yeah, those games weren't broken. They just had a design flaw that we now have eliminated.
When those "good old" games were actually broken, there was nothing you could do, aside from getting a new one.

Today, when a disc is scratched, you can actually get it rebuffed and repaired. Of course, if you break the game in two, there's still nothing you can do about it.

Oho, touché sir. Perhaps I didn't phrase that right. Just back in those days, if something was broken or failed to work due to a design flaw, it was a lot simpler to fix. I remember my dad fixing our old VCR one day all by himself, a few blue moons ago.

Nowadays, since our technology is that much more advanced, it's a lot more complicated to get it fixed, or repaired. Like you said, you can get disks rebuffed, but compared to 'the old days' (forgive me for using that term rather loosely) in some cases, just getting things repaired is an inconvenience.

The Epicosity:
Yep, notice what you are using to post.

... You clever bastard.

Like I said, I don't think technology is bad, I love it as much as the next socially awkward geek. And I will admit, me posting this here is a lovely case of irony. I'm just curious, with our lives slowly being absorbed by all this new tech, do you think it'll be a good thing, in the end?

We've always been dependant on technology, for thousands of years we've entrusted our survival to seed drills, irrigation pumps and looms.

If anything we're not dependant on convenience items these days, we just happen to like them. That sense of annoyance and vague distress would be the same thing someone a thousand years ago would feel when he lost his favourite knife.

EcstaticObsessive:
Is technology taking over our lives?

Yes. Every household seems to have books, radio, running water, twist-top bottles, refrigerators and some of them even have stoves. Plus all you have to do these days to get electricity is flip a switch. A lot of people have cars and bicycles, too. Clearly our lives have been taken over by technology.

Recently it's certainly changed the way we behave socially. I just had dinner with some old friends, but 3/4 of the time, everyone had their iPhones/Androids out staring at them, status updating, checking in, messaging others.

Even the bulk of the conversation between them was about what phone is best, how much their plans are, what mindless app fad they're currently into, who's posting what on FB. I guess it's more up to an individual's sense of social ettiquite whether to take your phone out at a dinner table but it does seem like 10 years ago, these same people would be concentrating on each other and appreciating the people in front of them when they meet.

No, I don't feel I use technology in my life at all. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go back to hunting for food with my bare fists while naked, because living without technology is just so bloody awesome.

Liviola:
Recently it's certainly changed the way we behave socially. I just had dinner with some old friends, but 3/4 of the time, everyone had their iPhones/Androids out staring at them, status updating, checking in, messaging others.

Even the bulk of the conversation between them was about what phone is best, how much their plans are, what mindless app fad they're currently into, who's posting what on FB. I guess it's more up to an individual's sense of social ettiquite whether to take your phone out at a dinner table but it does seem like 10 years ago, these same people would be concentrating on each other and appreciating the people in front of them when they meet.

This is the sort of stuff I'm interested, where it becomes just a tad... extreme? I mean, in my classes, it's ridiculous how many kids are texting underneath the desk, sneaking out of class to text, if we're on the computers, the kids will go on Facebook. It's gotten to the point where it's interrupting with their learning.

EcstaticObsessive:

Jonluw:

EcstaticObsessive:

Neither can I.

Oho, touché sir. Perhaps I didn't phrase that right. Just back in those days, if something was broken or failed to work due to a design flaw, it was a lot simpler to fix. I remember my dad fixing our old VCR one day all by himself, a few blue moons ago.

Nowadays, since our technology is that much more advanced, it's a lot more complicated to get it fixed, or repaired. Like you said, you can get disks rebuffed, but compared to 'the old days' (forgive me for using that term rather loosely) in some cases, just getting things repaired is an inconvenience.

Indeed, more advanced technology requires more advanced knowledge from a person in order to repair or create said technology.
That you can't do something about though. If you want society to progress, you're going to have to deal with that.

If we take it to te extreme: Back in the day when the only technology we had was fire, sharpened rocks and animal hides, everyone would know how to sharpen a rock and skin an animal (fire can be seen as an exception due to religious superstition, fire might have been the secret of the shaman, etc.)
Society progresses, and we learn to process plants into four and flour into bread. Again, this technology doesn't require much knowledge or specialization in the field. Moving forward, we have now invented metals: Everyone owns a sword or a farming tool, and if it goes blunt, they have a whetstone and the know-how to sharpen their tools. If they straight up break, however, not everyone has a smithy; but some basic smithing was still quite a common skill on larger farms.
Now we've invented the automobile. Everyone has one, and many can fix basic problems like a burnt-out spark plug. Still, the vehicle is so complicated that stranger problems require us to take it to someone with specialized knowledge in the field. Still, gaining some of this knowledge isn't too hard. There are plenty of hobby-mechanics who can fix most of your problems, provided it isn't something really complex.

Then we reach today's world, where a lot of technology, like computers, is so complicated most people don't even know how it works. There is even technology that isn't corporeal, but only exists as numbers within the computers which you still don't know how function. These two technologies require completely different skillsets to work with, even though they funtion in symbiosis; and not many know how to handle and repair these technologies at an advanced level.

If we were to draw the progress to its logical extreme, we would end up in a society where everyone uses ridiculously complex technology and only one person in the world knows how each piece of technology works.
I don't think this will happen though. Mostly due to the fact that education moves forward as well. A teenager fifty years ago would have no idea of how nuclear fusion works, but these days we do.

The problem that really seems to bother you is that the new technology is unreliable. And as I said, that is only owing to the fact that it is new and not fully established yet. When telephones were new, that was incredibly unreliable too, and large parts of the world were without contact to the telephone network. However, now that the technology has become mainstream and we've worked out the kinks, the system is almost foolproof. When was the last time you had problems with your cellphone other than when you dropped it on the ground? The problem is that the internet and mp3-players and such are still relatively early in their development and integration into society. So long as you insist on using infantile technology, you will have to deal with certain kinks. The problem only comes when you use infantile technology for essential tasks without any backup.

i agree, but i've no problem with it.

i'm waiting for a digital bowel-emptying machine that way i ken plzy mah wowz al le tahm.

I think what subject that tech does the worse for humanity for is language. Call me old fashioned, but know how to spell and know proper grammar... plx :D

EcstaticObsessive:

And fair enough, technology helps in so many ways. I mean, I can't remember the days when I didn't spend a majority of my time on the internet. In a way, my life is the internet (foreveralone.jpg) as I can talk to my friends on here, talk to complete strangers, pretty much do whatever I want.

The more complicated the technology, the more complicated it is to fix. Remember the days when all you had to do to get light was to strike a match and light a lamp, and all you had to do to turn it off was snuff it out? Now you need a power source and all sorts of circuits. And if just one part of that circuit is bad, you have to inspect the whole thing. The worst you can get with an oil lamp was maybe a bit of water in the oil. Just change that stuff out and you're good.

Or remember the days when to fix the TV reception, all you had to do was adjust those bunny ears? Maybe add some tinfoil or have somebody stand next to it for a while? Man, those were the days. Sure, there were only a handful channels, no DVR and no HD, but wasn't that so much better?

Also, how much time you spend on the Internet is entirely up to you. Blaming the growth of technology for your Internet use is like blaming the growth of McDonalds for your food addiction.

Liviola:

I hate it when people do that. Spend as much time as you like on your phone when you're alone or just chilling out but when you meet up with other people then you should actually appreciate them being there. At an extreme, you'd end up always organising and going to events but spending the whole time at those events organising other events and talking to people who didn't bother to show up. It's just silly.

I've thought about it and yes, it is dominating our lives, but that's a good thing. We are far better off now than humanity has ever been before and that's thanks to technology. You can still go hiking in the mountains or go swimming etc, so it's not like media has enveloped our lives so that we can't breathe without being near it.

There are people who try to avoid technology, but there is no point, you are just limiting yourself. It's also very backwards to not exploit it as much as you can, these things are made to be used, not to sit in a corner and rot.

EDIT: Also it's just rude, if people meet irl and use their iphones all the time. You can use them everywhere else, just enjoy the company and if you aren't enjoying yourself, why are you even out with them?

Woooow do you have any more clever observations?

Fire hot?

Lilani:

EcstaticObsessive:

The more complicated the technology, the more complicated it is to fix. Remember the days when all you had to do to get light was to strike a match and light a lamp, and all you had to do to turn it off was snuff it out? Now you need a power source and all sorts of circuits. And if just one part of that circuit is bad, you have to inspect the whole thing. The worst you can get with an oil lamp was maybe a bit of water in the oil. Just change that stuff out and you're good.

Or remember the days when to fix the TV reception, all you had to do was adjust those bunny ears? Maybe add some tinfoil or have somebody stand next to it for a while? Man, those were the days. Sure, there were only a handful channels, no DVR and no HD, but wasn't that so much better?

Also, how much time you spend on the Internet is entirely up to you. Blaming the growth of technology for your Internet use is like blaming the growth of McDonalds for your food addiction.

Fair enough, well said. Sometimes, I just think the technology some people use these days is a bit... unnecessary. Mind you, that's just me, I'm about as old-fashioned as they come.

And I'm not blaming the internet for how much time I spend on it. I'm quite aware of how much of my life I have whittled away. Sorry if I made it sound that way ^^"

Edit; Hey, thanks to everyone who contributed, it's been awesome to read all your opinions. Sadly, I must go, as I have school, and if I don't get to sleep soon, I'll fall asleep in class again. Continue the discussion if you so wish, thanks anyway.

You know what the funny thing is? I feel asleep, because I had been up all night on the internet, like tonight. I am a very very stupid person. Pot calling the kettle black, no?

Technology can have my life, I wasn't doing anything terribly important with it any way. When it comes time to plug our brains into the internet, I'll be first in line.

It's probably taking over some people's lives, but the "taking over our lives" statement is meaningless. Technologies are created to make some task more convenient, for the accountant, the creation of the adding machine saves a great deal of time. Now lets say the adding machine was treated like facebook where you are ostracized, to some extent, for not having one. Then all the farmers and other non-accountants think they have to use them to fit in. So in a sense its "dominating their lives."

So try to avoid technologies that are merely social/status symbols.

In Soviet Russia, technology uses YOU.

It only rules you if you let it rule you. I don't use twitter, facebook, msn, and don't really E-mail people. I do not feel that technology rules me. I use technology quite a bit, hours obsessively spent on minecraft proves this, but I know that I have to stop sometime, and so I do. Like all indulgencents (Murdered that word) if used in moderation, it is fine. That is, of course, about media and social technologies, the use of automobiles has become a neccesity, so yes. Technology is dominating us in that regard.

ACCOUNT HAS BEEN ABANDONED

A teacher who can't find something to do in the lesson without computers is a shitty teacher. Even an ICT lesson can be done on pen and paper most of the time. For everything else, there are other lessons that should have been planned that can be done at the time, rather than waiting and missing a lesson. But more on topic, yes, we are more reliant on technology. However, that isn't a bad thing at all, in fact it's a good thing really. Since we've had the internet there has been readily available information on pretty much everything, with computers to do work on and email people with we can communicate effectively and efficiently, rather than with scrawled handwriting delivered by a pigeon.

It has it's downsides, however it has more benefits. As long as you don't become lazy then it has no effect on weight either.

When I'm not using technology as in sitting in front of a computer, I tend to get away from it. I don't turn my phone on, use a watch for the time instead and tell people who talk about their facebook pages to "Shut the heck up". Even my friends. There should be a clear distinction between virtual and real world at all times!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked