Can you recommend me some comics.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So Im kinda getting bored of reading comics that have long continuity like Spier-Man etc. So I was wondering if anyone knew some good contained story comics, like Kick-Ass or V for Vendetta. I kinda want something with Samuari's or Japanese culture (preferably not a manga) Or something with Sci-Fi or superheros (or something with all 3 :P)

Also does anyone know anything cool to do in Lisbon?

well Ive been a big fan of girl genius, you can either buy it in trades or check it out on the web
invincible is pretty good
empowered is much better then you would expect (its also got some ninjas that show up)

Havnt read comics in years. I like 'Spawn', 'Supreme', 'Maxx' and 'Savage Dragon'. 'Wanted' is cool as is "The Walking Dead" and "Marshal Law".

I will never not recommend Watchmen.

ThatDaveDude1:

Watch the movie. The comic sucks, especially the squid bit.

Usagi Yojimbo.

A samurai rabbit who is the coolest dude ever.

Seriously.

voorhees123:

ThatDaveDude1:

I've seen the movie...I though it was offensively bad.

ThatDaveDude1:

voorhees123:

ThatDaveDude1:

Good for you. Have a cookie.

voorhees123:

ThatDaveDude1:

voorhees123:

Exactly how do you justify saying the comic sucks?

Wushu Panda:

voorhees123:

ThatDaveDude1:

Because i read it and i didnt like it - and the squid ending was shit. How would you determine if something sucks?

voorhees123:

ThatDaveDude1:

Normally I'd leave a sarcastic comment like "This from a person who likes Spawn," but that would just be starting the flame wars.
Also, I've read neither Spawn, nor Watchmen, so I really don't have a place to voice an opinion on the subject. I'm just kind of a jackass.

Deverfro:
So Im kinda getting bored of reading comics that have long continuity like Spier-Man etc. So I was wondering if anyone knew some good contained story comics, like Kick-Ass or V for Vendetta.

MARSHAL LAW. :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshal_Law

The Watchmen hate in this thread is inexcusable.

OT: You may like Vagabond. My brother adores it and it has rave reviews wherever I look. It's heavily samurai/japanese although it is a manga.

Superhero comics I can help you out on. Dark Knight Returns, Superman Earth One, Old Man Logan, Quiver, All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come, and I can't think of any more at the moment.

I said it in a thread earlier, And I'll say it here.

Bone By Jeff Smith.

Best fantasy/cartoon comic in existence. Stunningly beautiful, hysterical when it wants to be, heartbreaking when it needs to be. Self-contained in one colossal black and white tome or spread across nine trades in color.

Batman stories are pretty good. "Year One" and "Hush" are two of my favorites.

voorhees123:

Wushu Panda:

voorhees123:

Because i read it and i didnt like it - and the squid ending was shit. How would you determine if something sucks?

Not liking something doesn't degrade it to shit level. Something can be good, or even great and you're allowed to not like it.

Neil Gaiman's Sandman fits neither requirements but I'll suggest it anyway, that and Lucifer which is a spin off. Excluding that a History Of Violence.

If you're still willing to read stories with DC Heroes, but in a story that is almost completely continuity-free, I suggest Batman: The Long Halloween. Also, the Bone series.

HumpinHop:

voorhees123:

Wushu Panda:

Not liking something doesn't degrade it to shit level. Something can be good, or even great and you're allowed to not like it.

Yes it can. I still thought it sucked, especially the ending. I thought the movie dealt with it better. If you love it then great, my comment means nothing at all, only to me. If you love it then great, i really dont care either way. Its my opinion. But your comment makes no sense above doesnt make sense.

Marshal Law sucks, especially the Marshal Law bit.

If you like Samurai, Samurai Champloo is being turned into books. Not sure how they'll be compared to the show, but it was a great miniseries.

I am obliged to suggest anything by Warren Ellis, particularly Transmetropolitan

voorhees123:
But you did leave a sarcastic comment? So thats great. I guess. Shouldnt type what you think, because then you sound like a jackass. Not a jackass that knows stuff, but a jackass that knows nothing....but still comments. Which just makes you retarded?

I'm trolling ironically. It's 50% more pretentious than regular trolling and that makes it tastier. MWAHAHAHAHA! No reply can possibly harm my unstoppable ego!!!

On topic, I always liked Sandman by Niel Gaimon. And that's about it. Never been a huge fan of comic books.

Scott Pilgrim. I don't read a lot of comics but i really enjoyed this one.

voorhees123:

HumpinHop:

voorhees123:

Yes it can. I still thought it sucked, especially the ending. I thought the movie dealt with it better. If you love it then great, my comment means nothing at all, only to me. If you love it then great, i really dont care either way. Its my opinion. But your comment makes no sense above doesnt make sense.

Your last sentence was meant to be ironic, right?

I agree I didn't much care for the squid, but it did allow for a few more clues to be revealed as I recall in the comic, which summed up to a better ending imo. The book was also much better than the movie, I just pity anyone who watched it first then read the book, because I doubt you can still get that sense of uncertainty when reading it.

voorhees123:

HumpinHop:

voorhees123:

So if you don't like a genre of music, it is then automatically shit? I have never liked country music but my response is "Eh it's not for me", not "Ahh nobody should listen to this fuckery". Everyone's entitled to their opinions so long as they don't go parading them around as if they're irrefutable facts. On Watchmen specifically, I liked the complete horrifying madness of the squid ending, as well as the film version which kept it simple yet efficient for the plot.

Worgen:

empowered is much better then you would expect (its also got some ninjas that show up)

This, and

Gypsy ninja pirate zombie king:
Scott Pilgrim. I don't read a lot of comics but i really enjoyed this one.

This. Both awesome print comics. As for webcomics:

Kurokami:

voorhees123:

HumpinHop:

I agree I didn't much care for the squid, but it did allow for a few more clues to be revealed as I recall in the comic, which summed up to a better ending imo. The book was also much better than the movie, I just pity anyone who watched it first then read the book, because I doubt you can still get that sense of uncertainty when reading it.

I thought the same but decided against pointing it out. Also note that she/he is one more report away from a ban *shockandawe.jpg*

I know, my brother forced me to finish reading the comic before I was allowed to see the film, and by gum was that a good decision on his part. That uncertainty of not having a clue how it will end is what I loved so much about Watchmen, I can't remember any recent movie that had an ending I didn't see coming 15 minutes into the film.

I prefer the squid. It is a giant joke on Ozymandias. He claims he is above comic book villainy, but his grand scheme involves a fake, GIANT... FUCKING... SQUID...

Garth Ennis run on The Punisher comics. The Max series. Pretty damn good, its mostly silly over the top gore but its got some pretty good story telling and well I get the feeling that Garth knows what hes writing about and understands The Punisher... ... Well I liked them anyway.

voorhees123:
Havnt read comics in years. I like 'Spawn'.

I read a fair few of the Spawn comics and I honestly thought the HBO animated series was much better than the comics. I'd honestly recommend that one. That's not to put down the comics, they were pretty good up to where I read. I just though that Spawn was more interesting and complex in the animated series. Though that might have been helped by Keith David voicing him.

If you want good non-eastern comics about eastern topics, you'll want to find the odder looking ones- Usagi Yojimbo, and even the first few Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics should be cool (Trust me, the TMNT comics are the complete opposite of the cartoons). If you are willing to dip into Manga, check out Lone Wolf and Cub.

If you still wanna read cape comics, try and get short lived stories, a great example and one I highly recommend is Blue Beetle, to be exact Jaime Reyas, the Third Blue Beetle. It may seem daunting that he is a legacy hero, but you don't need much background knowledge to get it all, and it's only 36 issues.

I'd also really recommend Hellboy. There's a lot of material, but it's very easy to get and is well worth the read.

Worgen:
well Ive been a big fan of girl genius, you can either buy it in trades or check it out on the web

I'm just going to agree with this.

Adventure, romance, MAD SCIENCE!

All this and more, just follow this elegant and finely crafted link.

HumpinHop:

Kurokami:

voorhees123:

I thought the same but decided against pointing it out. Also note that she/he is one more report away from a ban *shockandawe.jpg*

I know, my brother forced me to finish reading the comic before I was allowed to see the film, and by gum was that a good decision on his part. That uncertainty of not having a clue how it will end is what I loved so much about Watchmen, I can't remember any recent movie that had an ending I didn't see coming 15 minutes into the film.

(Comment will contain spoilers, don't read if you haven't read the comic or seen the movie)

You're right, the ending was great. I meant more so the uncertainty throughout the book though. Following Rorschach's assassination theory and seeing how vulnerable all the characters are progressing through the book in an extremely dark, brutal world, you are constantly (or I was anyway) uncertain as to whether tragedy will strike and they be killed off. This in contrast to the movie which portrays the characters kicking ass with superhero like strength, you never REALLY worry about them in the movie. Even the bit with Veidt catching the bullet was not really surprising in the movie, though perhaps because the movie referenced it too obviously compared to the comic.

Genericjim101:
Neil Gaiman's Sandman fits neither requirements but I'll suggest it anyway, that and Lucifer which is a spin off. Excluding that a History Of Violence.

Damn right, Sandman is awesome and the spin offs are amazing, especially any of them that involve Death of the Endless. I honestly thought that I had no interest in comics until I read this. Also check out Neil Gaimans novels if you are looking for something good to read, american gods, neverwhere, stardust and anansi boys, they're golden nuggets in a sea of shite/dan brown books.

P.s I have always been slightly unsettled by how attractive Death is, she is the grim reaper... but... I definetly would. Ahem, (cough)... any man who says otherwise is full of it.

I recomend Priest, is a corean comic set in the Old West about a guy who hunts deamons and stuf.
Its really cool

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked