Why do some nerds hate Big Bang Theory?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Probably because it plays off sterotypes a lot and I suppose it makes a lot of people uncomfortable with themselves, the whole "Hey I don't do that! Do I?" sort of thing. Though thats just my take on it, I personally love the show.

Sordak:
honestly, when i watch Big Bang Theory (while it is funny) i just dont get why they are suposed to be extra smart nerds. I mean come on, i learned 70% of what they say in school.

That's the thing, they aren't nerds, just a stereotype of them. If they were most people wouldn't get most of the references and the show would tank as a result.

lisadagz:
I have to admit, though, before reading some of the comments in this thread I hadn't realise how often they play the canned laughter, that's pretty annoying.

Most sitcoms with laugh tracks do that to keep the tone set. It is easy to tune out if you watch a lot of sitcoms though. I will admit that BBT does seem to overdo it though.

Matthew94:
No PC gamers say they are part of the "master race" unless it is a joke. It has been said 1000 times that the phrase came from yahtzee as a joke, no one ever made it seriously.

Oh I have seen plenty of people refer to "dumbing down for consoles" in a serious manner. And the spirit of the message is that PC users are better.

lisadagz:
It's a joke about Sheldon's desire to use more complex and hard to use systems born out of his obnoxiousness and need to be better than everyone else, plus his anti-social nature makes it make sense that he would be anti-user-friendly. The other guys aren't like that so they wouldn't have said the same thing, it's not necessarily just a nerdy joke, it's a Sheldon joke, and I guess that means it's only funny if you're fond of the character(s).

Savagezion:

It's mocking elitist douchebags. People are laughing at how pompous Sheldon is because people can relate to how stupid that ideology is. Even here at the escapist how many times do you see console gamers as viewed as the people we have to "dumb stuff down" for and PC users are the "master race". Sheldon is saying Windows has been "dumbed down" for the lowest common denominator. Its actually making fun of the attitude many people have towards this show like it fails to meet some elitist standard. Leonard's follow up line was probably something akin to either "do not feed the troll" or how Sheldon needs to "lighten up".

Now, I understood this when I watched the video. I got it.
It's still not funny. A computer coming with Windows 7 is not funny.

If they didn't have the laughter track for the first two fucking sentences, the joke would've been greatly improved.

To be honest, I don't understand the hate either. I like the show and quite a few of my friends who are of the geeky sort like I am like it aswell.

But I can understand if people don't, everyone has personal taste.

Savagezion:

Matthew94:
No PC gamers say they are part of the "master race" unless it is a joke. It has been said 1000 times that the phrase came from yahtzee as a joke, no one ever made it seriously.

Oh I have seen plenty of people refer to "dumbing down for consoles" in a serious manner. And the spirit of the message is that PC users are better.

Many do have a point, due to the use of controllers, some games have to have some complexity removed to suit the consoles.

Just look at Deus Ex 1 which was made for PC and Deus Ex 2 which was made primarily for xbox, the difference is staggering. Thankfully this happens a lot less these days.

Matthew94:

Sordak:
honestly, when i watch Big Bang Theory (while it is funny) i just dont get why they are suposed to be extra smart nerds. I mean come on, i learned 70% of what they say in school.

That's the thing, they aren't nerds, just a stereotype of them. If they were most people wouldn't get most of the references and the show would tank as a result.

No, the stuff is easy to understand so the viewer can relate (It is not too hard to follow) and if it ever gets hard to follow usually it is because they are complicating things the same way Penny usually does with "My friend's cousin's boyfriend told me that her nephew is..." As well sometimes they use the techno-babble to feed into the fact that Penny doesn't understand something and play up HER stupidity. It isn't funny that they know physics, it funny that they apply it to simple things like Superman's arms would have cut Lois Lane into 3 pieces trying to catch her from falling off the building.

The reason they need to be seen as "super smart" is because they need to appear successful so that way you believe they have $1,000 to blow on a replica of Jules Vern's Time Machine, tons of money on comics and gaming systems, computers, paying Penny's rent, etc.

Matthew94:

Savagezion:

Matthew94:

Many do have a point, due to the use of controllers, some games have to have some complexity removed to suit the consoles.

Just look at Deus Ex 1 which was made for PC and Deus Ex 2 which was made primarily for xbox, the difference is staggering. Thankfully this happens a lot less these days.

LMAO. The fact you entirely missed the point shows validity in the premise of the show. You just said, "elitism" is only EVER meant as a joke. I replied with "some people are serious". You reply with well "they have a point".

My point was that it is making fun of people who can't stand dumbing things down for other people. That's a Sheldon view only Sheldon sees everything in hyperbole. His character would look down on you. He doesn't need actual dialogue proving the character is smarter than you he just has to represent that.

Savagezion:

Matthew94:

Savagezion:

LMAO. The fact you entirely missed the point shows validity in the premise of the show. You just said, "elitism" is only EVER meant as a joke. I replied with "some people are serious". You reply with well "they have a point".

My point was that it is making fun of people who can't stand dumbing things down for other people. That's a Sheldon view only Sheldon sees everything in hyperbole. His character would look down on you. He doesn't need actual dialogue proving the character is smarter than you he just has to represent that.

No, I said calling yourself part of a master race is usually used as a joke, I never said there are not elitists. Way to misread broski.

The joke was:

"I have windows 7, I don't like it because it's user friendly". That isn't funny regardless of the context or with the excessive laugh track and even if you look into the context he is just wrong. Vista and 7 have nearly the exact same UI, there is barely anything worth complaining about.

I would find it funny if the entire show wasn't driven by a laughtrack and the premise that all nerds are elitist aspies.

Mainly because people do not understand why they are laughing at it or find it funny then they talk to nerds about why it is funny and sound like a total an complete moron. This in turn can make all the jokes funny or not sound far worse.

Loads of my friends like it but I'm not a fan of the shown at all. Here is why:

Three interchangeable main characters.
I don't find the references funny. I get almost all of them. Still not funny to me. That's all the humour in the show and I don't find it funny.
Sheldon's head is so far up his ass that it's coming out his mouth.
It steals viewers from Community.
Long live Community.
I really fucking hate Sheldon.

Loop Stricken:
Now, I understood this when I watched the video. I got it.
It's still not funny. A computer coming with Windows 7 is not funny.

If they didn't have the laughter track for the first two fucking sentences, the joke would've been greatly improved.

I believe the laugh following his first sentence was ment to be for how he presented the line. He tells us he got a new computer whilst sounding pretty depressed. A poor joke but I can see why they stuck a laugh track there.

Rylingo:
I believe the laugh following his first sentence was ment to be for how he presented the line. He tells us he got a new computer whilst sounding pretty depressed. A poor joke but I can see why they stuck a laugh track there.

That's it, though. They are straining every single drop of mediocre humor and trying to feed it to an oblivious audience.

oh and another thing that bugged me

in regards to Halo 3 "high definition graphics and the most advanced weopons systms!"

..............most advanced weopons systms?..WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN??!!

If your job was about making pizzas, does that mean you would enjoy a sitcom about making pizzas?

It would just come down to whether the jokes are funny. The fact that the topic of the show matches your job doesn't add anything.

For people who are not exposed to much or any physics, entertainment that uses physics as a subject might give them that physics-y feeling they've been missing. I think this is also part of the reason I did not enjoy Half-Life, Gordon Freeman being a physicist hits me like a sack of "meh, this game sucks", but my understanding is that other people find his character cool.

FFHAuthor:

Buccura:

That I understand, but I'm just talking about simply not liking it. I'm talking about specifically nerds who have a loathing hatred for it, as though it is one of the worst things to blight television.

I think everyone hates stereotypes of themselves, the characters of BBT feel like they go beyond that at points, to the point of caricature. It's not 'hey, this is life like really smart aloof people live it' it's more along the line of 'this is how an amplification of most people stereotype scientists and geniuses and it's all condensed down into a few people'. It's more insulting than funny, there's a very small number of people who could sit down and say 'hey, that's just like my life' and laugh for that reason. But with BBT it's 'here are smart people, laugh at how different they live their life from us!'

I'm a pretty avid nerd. I play tons of games, and have knowledge of useless fictional universes that doesn't apply to everday society. I'm even really really really really shy and am not good at making friends......

but I have NEVER met a nerd as socially wacky as the cast of BBT. And I knew all the nerds in my town.

Savagezion:
/snip

Don't know why your bashing me over the head with the "exaggerated stereotype" shtick, because I agree. What I don't agree with is the fact that there is a dual layer or any further complexity to the humor they use unlike Scrubs. The scientific technobabble rarely, RARELY has any inside jokes. I am not too sure about the comic books though, but from my experience, I doubt it.

They perpetuate a stereotype. Yes, I know. And that's it. I wouldn't expect that much more from Chuck Lorre though.

I assume because it stereotypes them into being socially awkward dorks. That's a pretty broad generalization. Like a lot of sitcoms do the whole 'stupid dad' routine or whatever. They're kinda funny (most of the time not) but some people find their simplistic rendition of certain people insulting.

I can't vouch for other people, but it's a pretty stupid show in my opinion. It just runs its course using played out stereotypes for just about every episode using really overplayed character molds.

The best way I've heard it described as is "nerd black face". Like it's just the worst stereotypes of what studio executives and writers THINK a nerd would be. That being said, he'll laugh his ass off at it like the gigantic hypocrite he is.

I like the show, but at times it can be just plain offensive. Still I would be lying if I said I never had some of the arguments they had in that show.

Caramel Frappe:

Buccura:
I personally love the show Big Bang Theory, but some nerds I have spoken to, when I mention the show, show utter contempt for it. Why is it? I think it's a very funny show that depicts nerds in a fairly positive light, despite all the jokes. Is it because it's a popular show that give sit a sour taste?

Nerds? I think that most people believe in it, spite not being into science themselves. I don't really believe in it, because I am Christian.. yet I wouldn't hate it nor rage against people who do. It's their beliefs and I respect that overall.

In fact, it makes me ponder about the World.. leading to new questions thus making me appreciate life and free will you know? But yeah, because some people are very closed minded and anything you say that they disagree with- they'll go crazy over the issue. Not really cool to do, but they can't handle how others feel toward a subject.

Yeah, who needs facts anyway? And yes, let's all choose our beliefs without researching them, and the other side, too. Great ideas there.

Elmoth:

Caramel Frappe:

Buccura:
I personally love the show Big Bang Theory, but some nerds I have spoken to, when I mention the show, show utter contempt for it. Why is it? I think it's a very funny show that depicts nerds in a fairly positive light, despite all the jokes. Is it because it's a popular show that give sit a sour taste?

Nerds? I think that most people believe in it, spite not being into science themselves. I don't really believe in it, because I am Christian.. yet I wouldn't hate it nor rage against people who do. It's their beliefs and I respect that overall.

In fact, it makes me ponder about the World.. leading to new questions thus making me appreciate life and free will you know? But yeah, because some people are very closed minded and anything you say that they disagree with- they'll go crazy over the issue. Not really cool to do, but they can't handle how others feel toward a subject.

Yeah, who needs facts anyway? And yes, let's all choose our beliefs without researching them, and the other side, too. Great ideas there.

... Sarcasm?

But really people can believe what they want to believe. My beliefs are based on the bible- do you think I can prove to people that God made the world in 7 days or maybe show Adam and Eve existed? There's a way to try but I doubt anybody who isn't religious is going to believe me. Also people debate about beliefs so we learn from one another that way whether it's based on science, politics, or beliefs generally.

By the way didn't I make that post months ago? I didn't think anyone would quote me after all that time lol.

I kind of like it, but I dislike half the characters (Lennard, Howard, Amy, Bernadette) and recently I think it's gotten less about "a show about nerds!" and more "a show that mocks nerds!"

It's racist against chinamen, is all I am saying.

Personally, i love the show! my wife and i are buying the who series on dvd/blu ray.

It's not funny... that's why I don't like it :D

I'm not really sure, I've met plenty of people that like and plenty that don't. Honestly, I do like it. I don't think it's very funny, but it's entertaining, and yes, it's a little over the top with the nerdiness, but look at most shows. Very few are realistic portrayals anyway. It's a matter of opinion.

I never quite understood the intense hatred some people hold to this particular show. To me it's just really a boring show, and I've always had a problem watching shows that use a laugh track, simply because it annoys me to hear the studio laughter over and over every time something that can be seen as funny is said. Me, I don't like the show because so many of the jokes... really aren't jokes at all. It's kind of comparable to how the jokes on a lot of other shows, like Family Guy, has nothing to do with the episode at all, it's just a completely random clip thrown in there to make people laugh more.

Aaand it's also that I don't even like the characters. Their portrayal of geeks is really weird, and I can't imagine it being accurate at all. I'd expect a show about geeks facing the real world being more awkward than funny to be honest.

Because when you strip away the stereotypical nerd references it's just another vapid and uninspired sitcom that relies on the same stupid humor. I stopped watching after just a few episodes. The breaking point for me was when half of the jokes in an episode consisted of "oh a woman's upset, she must be on her period."

Also, for a show that's supposedly about "geek culture," it's surprisingly out of touch ("memory cards" for a Nintendo 64? 'Da fuck?).

I don't hate it, but I certainly don't find it hilarious, either. As everyone else has mentioned, the laugh track is incredibly annoying (why do they still exist? WHY?), and I've always found The Big Bang Theory's humour to be equal parts patronising and pandering.

"Look, look! We made a Schrodinger's cat reference! We're geeks, just like you! Love us! LOVE US!"

That's the impression I get, anyway.

A lot of the science stuff they talk about makes no sense. Yes it's right, but they just jam random words and facts about physics in and it makes no sense to actual science geeks. That and they overdo a lot of their jokes.

Savagezion:
snip

Funny, I hear the "master race" thing always as 1: a joke or 2: a serious phrase from console elitists who don't understand what the problem is with bad made ports from console to PC...

What are you talking about? This show is so fucking f u n n y.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked