Why do some nerds hate Big Bang Theory?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

BlastedTheWorm:
It's not fucking funny, that's why.

that's cause you don't get the jokes......

Generic Gamer:

WalrusPowers:

The show is frequently like that. They use pre-built laptops for Christ's sake! On the episode where they got robbed, they listed their games that had been stolen (about 7) and then made a joke about that being a lot. THEY PLAY MOSTLY THE WII. They were impressed by an online DOS emulator when DOSBOX had been out for 7 years. They call themselves nerds? BAH! BAH I SAY!

They also don't have any 'secondary' nerdy hobbies. They play games and read sci fi, but you'd expect at least one of them to play Warhammer or M:TG or something like that. I think there's an episode where they run a D&D campaign but nerds tend to live the whole lifestyle, you'd expect them to be nerdy in multiple ways.

I guess that's the heart of it, I just don't buy these characters as nerds. They have no real nerd cred.

This is true, however from what I've seen they play very similar games, but I'm not sure they can play specific games like MTG or warhammer cause of copyrights and stuff, almost all the stuff in the show isn't actually what they appear, for example the have diet coke in cans that look just like it except it's called "Diet Cola"

I think it's quite well written for a fairly typical American sitcom. They do make fun of the main characters for being nerds but it's done in the way that the non-nerdy characters are made to look inferior. I also like that some of the jokes are genuinely intelligent and make sense scientifically, even if they're a little cheesy. I don't watch it that often but I've seen a good few episodes and the references to sci-fi and games are made funnier by the fact that they're not done effectively in many other shows. The writers do actually research this stuff too. I guess I'm saying that the show is unique enough to be worth watching and, yeah, the characters are a lot of fun.

Buccura:
I personally love the show Big Bang Theory, but some nerds I have spoken to, when I mention the show, show utter contempt for it. Why is it? I think it's a very funny show that depicts nerds in a fairly positive light, despite all the jokes. Is it because it's a popular show that give sit a sour taste?

I think people in general hate the show because it is crap and not very funny.

Synyster:

BlastedTheWorm:

Insulting somebodys intelligence because they have a difference sense of humor then you, how very mature.

Tdc2182:
Because this.

You could potentially do this with any sit com, but it's rather more noticeable with this show.

Wow. I laughed like once. That was a pretty sad scene.

The vast majority of my friends love the big bang theory, including me. I don't know why people hate it so much.

Its a sitcom, they play on sterotypes. Thats what the whole damn show is about. Learn to laugh at yourselves.

Also i would liek to point out they DONT use a laugh track. Its a real audience. They've proved this time and time again.

Maurice de la Rie:
Even some scientific references like calling a cat shrödinger, waht's not funny about that?

I know the joke you're talking about, and it can hardly be considered an "in joke" for nerds when they spend a chunk of time explaining what it is.

It's a little bit like "the cake is a lie". Simply mentioning it, and somehow tying it to part of a story does not make it a joke. You have to do more with it to get any kind of credit.

Also, from the perspective of a late-teen/adult nerd perspective, I imagine most people would be sick to death of people mentioning it and thinking it's funny. I know I am

In a nutshell:

1) Stereotypes

From what I've seen (which is admittedly not that much) the main characters are a collection of nerd stereotypes, that most self-identify nerds either try to differentiate themselves from, or don't want to be associated with.

2) The Humour

The humour is very broad. Standard jokes (sometimes with a twist, but never in any complex way). Even rather simple shows like How I Met Your Mother take more risks.

3) The Characters

The characters, for me anyway, aren't particularly likeable in any way. The choices they make are often irritating or stupid, and this isn't levied (the way it is in most sitcoms) by them being charismatic or uncomfortably sympathetic.

A couple of things about it annoy me, Sheldon often trivializes the liberal arts (while maintaining a fervent and almost religious awe for Star Trek, video games and comic books) and the show never seems to make a counter-point to any of it, despite the writers themselves practicing a liberal art.

That and the noticeable slips in research, which mostly concerns Sheldon again because it just doesn't fit his character that he makes mistakes so often. I'm thinking primarily of his reference to positive and negative reinforcement, the latter he mistook for positive punishment. It just seems like, hey, here's a great chance to possibly educate people on something AND it totally fits his character that he does get it right. I wouldn't want Earl from My Name is... to always be up to date on psychology, but the fact that it fits Sheldon's character makes it unreasonable for them to not even wiki the terms they are using.

As far as I know they get the physics and such right, but I may be wrong.

Sometimes I like the show, they can be clever (I liked the rocky montage with them just staring at the white board, but even then they overused it.)

They don't seem to have any idea of how to advance the character either, they seem pretty much identical to when they started, except for Leonard who seems to have little personality anyway, which is a problem when he's supposed to be the sort of everyman.

/rant :)

Buccura:
I personally love the show Big Bang Theory, but some nerds I have spoken to, when I mention the show, show utter contempt for it. Why is it? I think it's a very funny show that depicts nerds in a fairly positive light, despite all the jokes. Is it because it's a popular show that give sit a sour taste?

One liner one liner one liner science/math/computing reference one liner one liner drama bit that comes across as obnoxious because it follows and is followed by supposedly comical bits instead of doing the proper thing of combining the two.

I dunno, just not at all funny to me.

Synyster:
This is true, however from what I've seen they play very similar games, but I'm not sure they can play specific games like MTG or warhammer cause of copyrights and stuff, almost all the stuff in the show isn't actually what they appear, for example the have diet coke in cans that look just like it except it's called "Diet Cola"

Synyster:

BlastedTheWorm:

Bull and shit. Sorry, but there are plenty of products specifically stated (Halo night, etc.,) an even then it's really more about the fact that they rarely mention any nerdy pass times that aren't blatantly obvious. They aren't even movie nerds or anime nerds, and the only anime I remember them watching was a fucking tie-in with Two and a Half Men. It's like "We're nerds, our entire lives center around science and pre-built computers." Fucking pre-built computers. There's nothing nerdy about them in a clever way, or in an un-obvious way.

And also, claiming that if you don't find it funny, you don't understand it? Real mature. Let alone the fact that not a single line goes by in this show without getting explained in thorough detail, but there's nothing remotely complex or layered about the humour.

I watched an episode and I was okay with it. The Big Bang Theory didn't warrant another watch just yet. Maybe when I run out of shows to watch, I'll keep watching, but right now...no.

The show was kind of funny in some parts, but a lot of it rather seemed dull. It's not something that I'm used to, and it's not something that I'm interested in trying to get in to--it's just one of those things that, when nothing's on, you watch it. At least it is for me.

It doesn't matter whether you're a "nerd" or whatever label you decide to give yourself, it's just personal preference.

I personally couldn't care less about the show but know people who have love it.

Fanta Grape:

Anoni Mus:
I think it's one of the best sitcoms. Much better than Friends and Seinfield. On par with HIMYM.

Are you being serious? The problem with The Big Bang Theory is that it's not a show that uses nerd humour, it's a show purely based on one emotion. Pity. Pity for everyone, because no one is intentionally likeable. This could work but the humour is centric around nerd culture, not necessarily nerd jokes. It's the difference between me referencing the overhype Portal gets in the context of deliberate meme bait in a witty form, and just saying, "THE CAKE IS A LIE! Get it? Because that's a thing, right?"

The concept is nice. It's there. It doesn't necessarily have to have nerd humour, but it should stop trying to shoehorn it in. It's like those terrible incidents on tv where someone is rick rolled years after it died out. It's not funny. Context is everything.

Friends is just plain terrible as well. It's nostalgic, it's not always bad, but it's such a default sitcom all the time that it's kind of depressing. Excessive pauses for laughter, predictable jokes, running gags which don't make sense, exaggerating character traits for comic effects...

Seinfeld on the other hand is genius. Pure genius. It's simple day-to-day humour is what really made modern comedy shows the way they are now. Go back 20 years and propose the idea of four nerds doing nothing but science and D&D to a television station and they'd kick you right out. Seinfeld was smart in its dialogue. It didn't need anything else. It dragged on, some episodes weren't that great, but the majority of it is gold. Gold Jerry, Gold.

HIMYM is nice. It's pretty funny, but you can see a joke coming from a mile away. Still, it's pretty smart, and really enjoyable, but its tone is far too often inconsistent.

Nice to see another Seinfeld and HIMTM fan. Seinfeld is still the best comedy ever in my opinion. With King of the Hill coming in second. Maybe I just like the everyday occurrence type of humor.
OP: It isn't a show for nerds. It is a show for people who don't "get" nerds.

Talking as a dyed in the wool nerd I find this show hilarious. The science and technology they use are well researched and I know guys like almost every one of the group. Heck there's even a debate on who is the most like Sheldon among my friends! I have one friend who isn't as smart as him but is easily as funny, so he's fun just to be around. In small doses. :)

I think the cast work well together and appear genuine friends who play off each other. I loved the episode where Penny gets sucked into WoW because it showed how easy it is for the non-geek to be drawn into those activities usually prescribed only to geeks. I don't agree it portrays nerds in a negative light because none of the characters are unlikeable, not even Sheldon, which I think is why he won the Oscar 'cos that can't have been easy! I think it shows that with great intelligence a price is usually paid, a sentiment I agree with. However, I think it also shows that there is a LOT more to nerds than the harsh stereotype often portrayed in media by showing four extreme examples of that sub-culture but making them human, like Sheldon's desire for approval, Leonard's search for female companionship and Raj's battle with shyness. Each have their reasons for being that way and episodes have been dedicated to each to show both how crippling it can be and how big a difference it can make to the person when they finally have a breakthrough, albeit always temporary as is the way of the sitcom.

Becuase it popularizes faux-geekery. Taking a sub-culture and turning it into a pop-culture.

See: Punk culture, Goth culture, Emo culture, any good band etc.

Synyster:

I don't really mind the lack of specific brands because TV regulations are funny like that but I'd expect them to do more genuinely nerdy things. The point that other poster raised earlier is a good example, Sheldon is supposed to be a Linux aficionado but he doesn't come across as knowing that much about it.

I know why they have to do it because of the target audience but all the things they make look nerdy aren't really all that nerdy, considering they're supposed to be socially inept and obsessive about a given field none of them actually know all that much about their pet field.

Synyster:

BlastedTheWorm:

What jokes? I see references, not jokes.

Personally, I have no interest in the show even though the material of it relates to my hobbies and interests. My family, however, are infatuated with it and often make some comparisons of me with Sheldon. Mind you, I have no contempt for the serial, I just don't like sitcom's and I spend most of my time reading and gaming.

The main reason why I could answer for the contempt is possibly that some people find the characterization of the geek characters as overblown and/or demeaning to those who are considered the geeks themselves. Not all "nerds" are created equal and there are very normal individuals who also have interests in the geek culture. So, it's probably an image issue that people don't want to see influenced. Also, they may just hate it because they have nothing better to do.

SgtFoley:

Buccura:

I think people in general hate the show because it is crap and not very funny.

Synyster:

BlastedTheWorm:

Insulting somebodys intelligence because they have a difference sense of humor then you, how very mature.

Sorry it wasn't my intention to call anyone's intelligence into question, all I meant was that some people simply don't get jokes because they have a different sense of humour

Generic Gamer:

Synyster:

I don't really mind the lack of specific brands because TV regulations are funny like that but I'd expect them to do more genuinely nerdy things. The point that other poster raised earlier is a good example, Sheldon is supposed to be a Linux aficionado but he doesn't come across as knowing that much about it. I know why they have to do it because of the target audience but all the things they make look nerdy aren't really all that nerdy, .

This, basically, they don't act like real nerds. They just drop a few nerdy references in and that's played as a joke.

Nerds being the central characters In a sitcom can be funny, the IT crowd did it really well.

mrwoo6:

Generic Gamer:

Synyster:

I don't really mind the lack of specific brands because TV regulations are funny like that but I'd expect them to do more genuinely nerdy things. The point that other poster raised earlier is a good example, Sheldon is supposed to be a Linux aficionado but he doesn't come across as knowing that much about it. I know why they have to do it because of the target audience but all the things they make look nerdy aren't really all that nerdy, .

This, basically, they don't act like real nerds. They just drop a few nerdy references in and that's played as a joke.

Nerds being the central characters In a sitcom can be funny, the IT crowd did it really well.

Yeh I agree

BlastedTheWorm:

word.

And as far as 'nerdy' funny shows go, the IT Crowd and Community are far far better. Like, they're actually funny.

Tdc2182:
Because this.

You could potentially do this with any sit com, but it's rather more noticeable with this show.

I still found it funny... though you should link the "faster paced" version instead, cause the silences do have an effect. But the jokes still work when you edit out the silence and just have line after line and no laughter

Because like the very worst of american humour it ridicules those it represents through the use of tired cliches- its like them pointing at a subculture and saying "OMFG dey r'nt liek uz! dey mst b badz!".
Its tiring, insulting and stupid- the shows only redeeming quality is Kaley Cuoco, and only then when she isnt screeching like a harpy.

Well everyone's humor is different...but I do suspect it hits too close to home for some.

Most of my family tried really hard to get me into Big Bang Theory. I tried really hard to put it off. Another friend who was not a fan warned me it was just making fun of nerds, and having watched the pilot episode I felt like it was a bit formulaic.

Anyway, I finally got around to watching and ended up laughing my ass off. It is genuinely funny, and I rarely see any actual making fun of nerds. That said, as I made my way through season 3 and started in season 4, I am starting to see the show jump the shark. The way they handle dramatic tension with the Leonard-Penny relationship is a bit ham-fisted. At the end of season 2 they shot up the stakes kinda out of no-where, and then resolved it right away in the beginning of season 3. Now at the start of season 4 Leonard is back where he was in season 1, and the dramatic tension has become as slack as a windsock on the moon. They probably could have milked the tension a bit more. Frasier is good example of a sitcom with a similar romantic set-up, which they dragged on for years.

Also watching it, I get the unmistakable feeling that I've been there before. So I wikied executive producer Chuck Lorre and saw that he filled the same roles as he did on BBT on Dharma & Greg and Two and a Half Men, and the stench of those terrible shows clings to BBT like the odor of a cannery worker's uniform. A pattern emerges: "Let's take one or more unusual characters and pair them up with a "normal" character as the comedic foil! A large portion of the jokes can be just references to the ways the unusual character is unusual without connection to any kind of comedic plot. Now if only I could make one of them so odd as to be barely functional and give them a catch phrase...

Big Bang Theory has some truly hysterical gags which puts it several leagues above Chuck Lorre's past shows, which tend to either be painfully unfunny garbage or depend overly much on a professional comedienne in the lead role to carry the show. Plus I'm pretty sure Rajesh got to make out with Danica McKellar in one episode which gives hope to us all. But over all I get the feeling that the show isn't as good as it could be, sometimes with the added feeling that they aren't so much making fun of nerds as they are making fun of the audience. But so far it's still good as background noise while I work on my nerdly hobbies, so I'll probably keep watching until either I run out of downloaded episodes or I get sick of the show.

HerbertTheHamster:
because their audience laughs at every sentence and half the jokes are just technobabble the average person wouldn't understand.

also stereotyyyypes

This. I don't hate the show, and i think it has a few good things going for it; but i will never love it. There are too many things about that show that just rub me the wrong way.

Plus, i hate the fact that lots of people have compared me to Sheldon; in fact, i'm much more like Leonard, which is a shame, because he's a whiny, mopey little bitch.

It's a sitcom so it's an automatic hate for me. The audience laughs make me furious when watching a series.

That's inconceivable, OP. Next you'll be telling me you found a black person that doesn't think Tyler Perry's latest man-in-a-fatsuit-pretending-to-be-a-woman movie was comedic genius. Blugh, thoughts like that keep me up at night.

Dyme:

Liked Scrubs and Modern Family though. Are there more series like those? (I know they are completely different, but you know, funny series without laughter?)

Off the top of my head, Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development. All I got for now, but I promise you won't regret looking up either one.

I've seen a few episodes and I'm not a fan of the show. Mostly because I can't stand Sheldon. He's such an arsehole to everyone he interacts with, and when he doesn't get his way he pouts and acts like a dick until everyone else gives in just so he can go back to being a regular arsehole.

I'm surprised his roommates haven't murdered him yet, much less remain his friend.

The laugh track is absolutely awful and the jokes/characters aren't funny.

BrailleOperatic:
It seems like something written about nerds, rather than by nerds. And it's a little bit patronising.
And I just don't think the show's that funny.

We have a winner! All my non-nerd friends love it and like to brag about how they 'get' a nerdy show. I've watched three episodes with three different friends, each insisting they were showing me the best episode of the show, and I didn't laugh once. Not so much as a chuckle or bemused guffaw. I was just really bored.

Also:

Buccura:

Honestly I think doing this with a sitcom is a flawed argument because they are written to flow with a laugh track, so of course removing a laugh track will make it less funny. Even Titus wouldn't be as funny without the laugh track. If you like that show, that is :X

Watch The Mighty Boosh or That Mitchell and Webb Look or just about any good British comedy. No laugh track, because it doesn't need one, because it's genuinely funny. Laugh tracks annoy me immensely, because they seem to dictate to me how funny I should find a joke. Fuck that.

Buccura:
-snip-

Honestly I think doing this with a sitcom is a flawed argument because they are written to flow with a laugh track, so of course removing a laugh track will make it less funny. Even Titus wouldn't be as funny without the laugh track. If you like that show, that is :X

I used to like the show a lot, the science talk wasn't a problem after a while because I'd stumble upon an explanation at some point, and the geeky stuff is alright, but it doesn't hit every mole. Nonetheless, my brother made me aware that it just wasn't funny. All the laugh tracks are horribly misplaced after sentences that aren't funny. At all. It seems as if the only reason the public thinks most of it is funny is exactly because it's so "geeky and abnormal and wrong and therefore funny".

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked