I am so sick of entitlement

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Seriously, I am. If I never hear that word for the rest of my days on this planet it will be too soon. I dont know If I am aware of another word so highly overused and misused. Another one is Nuclear. Having heard its pronunciation butchered so often by so many people it grinds my teeth to hear it anymore.

Think we all have words that grate on our nerves like this, So the question is, what words are you tired of /hate hearing?

Awesome.

It's been overused to the moon and back. I'm so sick of hearing everyone and everything saying awesome. Its just so annoying.

Epic and Fail. Together or on their own. Both are bad and we need to move on.

I'm pretty hipster about it because they used to be cool before everything became EPIC! or FAIL! or EPIC FAIL lol!

hater is one that is always misuesd on the internet

'Decimate'

Apologies to anyone who was trying to get in before this one cropped up. So often misused and it actually makes me flinch.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion on the word entitlement.

Personally I feel like I'm entitled to disagree with your hate for the word entitlement, which is an opinion which you are well entitled to hold.

People are also entitled to say the word "nucular" whenever they want to, though other people are entitled to give them strange looks and/or go nuclear on them.

I'm sorry.

"Strawman"

I find it interesting how often accusations of a strawman argument are actually strawman arguments themselves.

'Homophobic'

I just don't like that word, it doesn't make sense to me.

A phobia is a fear, so "homophobic" would mean a fear of gays.

Devistated... Hear far to much on the news

blaqknoise:
'Homophobic'

How does that not make sense to you? Homophobics hate and fear homosexuals.

Ironic. I don't hate the word, but I hate when it gets used incorrectly, which is the majority of the time. The word you're looking for is COINCIDENTAL!

I also hate the word racist because it keeps being used incorrectly. You can't be "racist" against gamers, or retarded people, or gingers. NONE OF THOSE ARE RACES. The word you're looking for is PREJUDICED.

Get it right people!

Fit to plan. This makes my skin crawl.

Usually mentioned by sales guys who have no clue what it takes to produce anything.

Aluminium. What is the problem with the five syllables? Honestly :(

lacktheknack:
"Strawman"

I find it interesting how often accusations of a strawman argument are actually strawman arguments themselves.

Partially this, the 'scapist seems to be going through a phase of calling eachother strawmen. Before a month or two ago I barely saw it used here.

Personally I despise people complaining about everything being generic. Usually what they really mean is 'I don't like this because it is popular'.

Oh, I just remembered, 'youth' or 'youths'. 95% of the time it's used in a bad light and it pisses me off how readily some older people will tar anyone under 25 with the same brush.

The words "fail" and "winning" when describing something. Just why? WHYYYY?!

Zantos:

Aluminum grates on my nerves as well, but for different reasons. However to answer the question if your talking about the difference between EU and US pronunciations, I think that would be having the letter I stand for an entire syllable.

StBishop:

I'm pretty hipster about it because they use to be cool before everything became EPIC! or FAIL! or EPIC FAIL lol!

Yup these two grate on every part of my soul or soul equivalent. I have a friend who seems to use Epic to describe everything in existence.

I think this video is appropriate.

Anyway, I can't stand it when people don't know the proper phrasing of certain terms. For example, the phrase "had to have." As in, "You had to have heard that racket!" Some people write it as "You had to of heard that racket!" Also, "I could care less." No, it's you COULDN'T care less. If you COULD care less, that means you still care.

Flamezdudes:

blaqknoise:
'Homophobic'

Hate, yes, but not fear.

StBishop:

I'm pretty hipster about it because they use to be cool before everything became EPIC! or FAIL! or EPIC FAIL lol!

Aha! And THAT is exactly what I was talking about in my post. That may just be a typo, but saying "use to" instead of "used to" is also a common mistake that bothers me to no end.

viranimus:

Zantos:

Aluminum grates on my nerves as well, but for different reasons. However to answer the question if your talking about the difference between EU and US pronunciations, I think that would be having the letter I stand for an entire syllable.

The syllables change depending on the pronunciation. In the UK pronunciation it goes Al-U-Mi-Ni-Um, the US says Al-U-Min-Um (or possibly A-Lu-Mi-Num depending on region, or just who you talk to), all of these pronunciations have a syllable made up from a single vowel, so the I thing wouldn't really work.

People who express how little they care about something with "I could care less". No, you fools, it's couldn't.

I'm getting sick of entitlement too. Not so much the word, but more people thinking they have it with regards to a developer or publisher.

Fanboy.
Nuff said.

TheYellowCellPhone:
Awesome.

It's been overused to the moon and back. I'm so sick of hearing everyone and everything saying awesome. Its just so annoying.

Couldn't agree more. It's a lazy way of describing things. I don't mind it in everyday speech, but in writing, it drives me insane.

Words cannot describe this

Tsunami.

After Japan and before that Sumatra everyone started using the word tsunami (as a metaphor) while there are so many perfectly reasonable alternatives in my native language. Stop it!

I don't know if this counts but I am sick and tired of seeing people blaming or assuming one thing of world problems when other things did equal or more.

"events that you could see/hear, Public reaction" (Truth behind the event)

"Johny shoot up his school? BAN VIDEO GAMES!" (Family issues and easy obtain a firearm)
"A women seems to have a broken arm, ABUSIVE HUSBAND!" (A work related injury)
"A guy playing with a bunch of children, PEDOPHILE!" (A volunteer worker for children)
"Driver A Crashed into Driver B, DRIVER A IS AT FAULT" (Driver B didn't see the stop sign)

Also Both "Racist" and "Sexist". Come on, it's a joke not a genocide.
Also(2) The N word, Nuff said

Zantos:

viranimus:

Zantos:

The syllables change depending on the pronunciation. In the UK pronunciation it goes Al-U-Mi-Ni-Um, the US says Al-U-Min-Um (or possibly A-Lu-Mi-Num depending on region, or just who you talk to), all of these pronunciations have a syllable made up from a single vowel, so the I thing wouldn't really work.

'

Fair enough, but I think the difference is that in the UK pronunciation, the letter I is to represent an EEE sound, whereas putting the emphasis on the U in a 4 syllable configuration still has the U representing a sound that it naturally makes. Having I stand in place of E is somewhat counter intuitive.

Also you hit on what aggravates me about aluminums pronunciation in 4 syllable format. Kudos.

"Overrated" and "underrated".

For some reason things aren't allowed to simply be good or bad anymore.

blaqknoise:

Flamezdudes:

blaqknoise:
'Homophobic'

Hate, yes, but not fear.

In a non-clinical setting, phobia frequently encompasses terms like dislike, or aversion.

And really, outside "buttsex is icky," I think most arguments boil down to afraid of being around/being hit on, afraid of children being converted or afraid of being converted themselves.

Or I suppose, fear of hellfire and damnation, either for self or others.

What's wrong with the way someone says Nook-u-lur?

viranimus:
Having heard its pronuciation butchered so often by so many people it grinds my teeth to hear it anymore.

Um...

You spelt Pronunciation wrong...

Just thought id capitalize on that irony.

worst word in the world: tight, as used as to convey that something is impressive, or expensive or whatever Turk lovers use it for...

Lilani:

StBishop:

Aha! And THAT is exactly what I was talking about in my post. That may just be a typo, but saying "use to" instead of "used to" is also a common mistake that bothers me to no end.

*sadface* It's a typo. Sorry.

But yeah, I hate the way people say would in the wrong context.

"If only I would have killed him when I had the chance."

"I wish you would have been there."

The phrase 'Just kidding'.

Mostly because somebody apparently decided that means 'I was wrong' or 'i made a mistake'.

Now i want to punch someone everytime i hear it. *twitch*

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked