Do you know all 50 states?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Well, I keep hearing a bunch of Americans on this website complaining about how they have to deal with idiots every day of their life.
Apparently there are people who don't know about the world affairs. And honestly this makes me sad that anyone could know so little about the world.

So fellow AmeriCANS. Do know your country well enough to name the basic 50 states without looking them up?

I took the quiz and got this as my score.

http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/unitedstates.html

And I'm also interested if any non Americans can get all 50 states.

Yes, due to a song they made us sing many many many many many many times back in school.

I am certain not many on here will fail that, but I bet at least half the people you see on the streets would fail.

in b4 "America? you mean canada mexico and all those others?" people that have a snarky attitude about it.

OT: Yes i know the song from being younger and I have a decent photographic memory, especially after taking AP Human geography in school which we memorized alllllll that boring shit (capitals of fucking everything in the world, pain in the ass)

Yeah, I got it. Back in elementary school we had a giant copy of the US painted on the blacktop and we had to play a stupid game to learn the states and their capitals.

As a foreigner, I'm really uninformed on this. I was more wrong than right, of course, but I'll keep retrying until I get them all. I like to learn.

I do believe I got a friend who can say them all.... Keep in mind he's also European.

got 100, but i dunno how to past the little icon thing. Oh well. Ive visted something about 40 of the US states, driving all over the country and so on.

I had to memorize the names of all 50 states and their capital cities in school when I was 11 or 12, so this test was pretty easy. >.>

I do.. sort of... know them all, though as for placement, it's mostly a case of 'by elimination', once the twenty or so obvious and fifteen or so not so obvious ones are done.

Score: 91%

(Brit, don't hang me...)

Not really, know general placement but not the location of every state. That said I'm Canadian so precise American geography was never really taught to me. I can identify most European and Asian countries though.

I know all 50 states AND capitols because I watched Animaniacs as a kid.

Also US presidents and nations of the world.

tehpiemaker:

Apparently their are people who don't know about the world affairs.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

Third word down.

I hate to be an ass about it... oh who am I kidding, I love being an ass about it. Plus I'll use any excuse I can to link to The Oatmeal.

92%, not bad for a non-American I'd say. I doubt most American can name even one Dutch province.

Irridium:
Snip

tehpiemaker:

Third word down.

I hate to be an ass about it... oh who am I kidding, I love being an ass about it. Plus I'll use any excuse I can to link to The Oatmeal.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was going to say. I didn't know about that website however, thank you for the link.

Irridium:
I know all 50 states AND capitols because I watched Animaniacs as a kid.

Also US presidents and nations of the world.

tehpiemaker:

Third word down.

Well shit. Looks like you caught me making an ass of myself. Edit: Also fixed it

I still remember Wacko's song about the 50 states and their capitals from Animaniacs word for word... So, yeah, I'd like to think that I do know all 50.

I've always found it somewhat annoying that the average citizen of the United States can name all (or almost all) of the states and their capitals - but couldn't name 50 other countries even if you held a gun to their heads (let alone THEIR capital cities).

A country with so much power really should spend more time looking outside it's borders! (for reasons other than finding somebody new to shoot at, I mean!, US foreign policy being what it is :P)

When I was young I studied, U.S. geography.
My teacher said will you stand up and list the states for me!
My knees began a'knockin, my words came out all wrong
and suddenly, I came out with this silly little song!
Alabama and Alaska Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, and Connecticut and more.
Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, still 35 to go
Kansas,and Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts and good old Michigan,
Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, and Montana, Nebraska's twenty seven, number twenty eight's Nevada,
Next, New Hampshire, and New Jersey, and way down, New Mexico
There's New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, now let's see.
Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee
Texas, then there's Utah, Vermont, I'm almost through Virginia, then there's Washington, and West Virginia too. Could Wisconsin, be the last one, or is it 49? No, Wyoming is the last state in the 50 states that rhyme.

When I sat down all out of breath my teacher said, "that's great." I'm quite impressed, you were the best at singing all these states. But if you wanna get an "A" for that silly little rhyme, stand back up and sing that song, but do it double time!

God, I still remember that song after 10 years...

Ahhh, I once had to memorize this for high school geography.

The attitude was roughly the same as it is now: Don't Know, Don't Care.

Not American btw, so I can consider myself excused until you people can name our cities of the top of your head.

Lawyer105:
I've always found it somewhat annoying that the average citizen of the United States can name all (or almost all) of the states and their capitals - but couldn't name 50 other countries even if you held a gun to their heads (let alone THEIR capital cities).

A country with so much power really should spend more time looking outside it's borders! (for reasons other than finding somebody new to shoot at, I mean!, US foreign policy being what it is :P)

You're quite accurate on this one, but you might also want to keep in mind that it's not just the US that suffers from this. At least, there still is enough hilarity to be had by asking people to point out their holiday on a map.

73%...

I feel like a terrible American.

GundamSentinel:
92%, not bad for a non-American I'd say. I doubt most American can name even one Dutch province.

There's Holland and....damnit, I cant remember the other one. But still, one is more than zero!

Brett Dumain:

GundamSentinel:

There's Holland and....damnit, I cant remember the other one. But still, one is more than zero!

Nope, still zero. There's North Holland and South Holland. Good effort though! :)

GundamSentinel:

Brett Dumain:

GundamSentinel:

Nope, still zero. There's North Holland and South Holland. Good effort though! :)

Hey, at least I didnt write Flanders (which is in Belgium.)

demoman_chaos:
Yes, due to a song they made us sing many many many many many many times back in school.

I am certain not many on here will fail that, but I bet at least half the people you see on the streets would fail.

?

I have trouble with the capitals, though.

GundamSentinel:

In fairness to Americans, in the UK, you never get taught county geography, and you'll (by percentage) find fewer Brits (sorry, read: English) who can name and locate all 83 counties than Americans who can name and locate the 50 states.

69%, but I ain't an American. So, not too bad.

Do you learn this at school or it's supposed to learn on your own as general culture?

I don't know all of them nor I intend to learn, unless I want to know specific laws if it's on my interests.

I did terrible, not big surprise considering I'm a Canadian.

I don't know where all of them are, but I know their names.

wow... I failed! lol! least I got the state I live in right! XD

Gave it a try.

First state they asked me is North Carolina.

Why the heck is North Carolina in the south?

USA... You make even less sense then you did before.

Anoni Mus:
Do you learn this at school or it's supposed to learn on your own as general culture?

I don't know all of them nor I intend to learn, unless I want to know specific laws if it's on my interests.

Well, we're taught it in Elementary School as children. But whether or not we remember them is up to us.

Hagi:
Gave it a try.

First state they asked me is North Carolina.

Why the heck is North Carolina in the south?

USA... You make even less sense then you did before.

North Carolina is North of South Carolina you silly billy.

When I was in 4th grade we had to learn a song saying all 50 states so yeah I know them. I also know them because of sports teams and stuff

SckizoBoy:

GundamSentinel:

In fairness to Americans, in the UK, you never get taught county geography, and you'll (by percentage) find fewer Brits (sorry, read: English) who can name and locate all 83 counties than Americans who can name and locate the 50 states.

Geography where I live in the states isn't widely taught either. I got a 100% thanks to Animanics but I can name some of the provinces in parts of France and Germany. The only two Dutch provinces I know are The Hague and Amsterdam.

Well I can name all europerian and asian countries, but only about 15 of the American states.

98% I laughed at myself when I botched two states that were right next to each other. XD

Oh, well. I find it funny though that people are labeled as "bad countrymen" if they can't name all 50 states and capitals (or provinces and capitals if you're international) right off the top of their head at any given moment, or answer a somewhat obscure history question within a set time limit. I can understand that it would be great to know that stuff, and some do, but it seems a bit unfair to the scatterbrained and forgetful. Also, why does not noticing or keeping up with world affairs make someone "an idiot"? While I agree that having a sense of what is happening both in your own country and around the world allows for one to live a more informed life, but to some people their lives are happier when they remain in their comfort zone. And with all of the problems that exist in the world today, why create more misery? If you're content with living life naive, then go right ahead. After all, they can't help that a lot of people on this planet can't function unless they either know what everyone else is doing, or get directly involved in their business.

And also which language they speak

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked