Do you know all 50 states?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

tehpiemaker:

Slayer_2:
Thought it was 53 states, I'm Canadian, so I'm not sure about this, but I always heard 53. Or was it 52? Are you counting Alaska and Hawaii?

Alaska and Hawaii or both counted. It's 50 states, and you could count them if your not sure.

Ah, well, I'd be surprised if an average American could list how many provinces Canada has, and that's a lot easier than me trying to remember all the American states with the South and North this and that... damn it, I'll just learn the ones with major cities and an nearby ones.

Rawne1980:
My mistake bud I put countries instead of counties, you know what I mean though.

I'll correct my error now.

*meh* No sweat. Don't know about you, but all my county knowledge comes from selected rural cricket grounds!

Oh lord. I'm dumber than I thought.

I know the names. I have a nice catchy little song that helps me remember. From school.

But I don't know locations. Save for the Western States since I live there.

If you really want to have a pissing contest over who knows where cities and countries are better, just go for this game. No, I suck at it and can't get past level 4 but it adds a bit of perspective.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/crafics/globetrotter-xl?acomplete=globetrotter

Washington, Texas.... ummm... Mexico?

I give up, I'm getting a drink. Anyone want one?

I got a 98 because my finger slipped off of Rhode Island and Delaware.

I can name all of the capitals of the states if I'm doing matching. I could probably get about half of them without a list (mostly ones in the South and on the East Coast). This from a kid who always managed to miss the Warner Brothers (and Warner Sister) skits on Animaniacs.

Yes, this was pretty easy.

They make us memorize them all in like 6th or 7th grade I think.

This is why americans can't remember all those other countries, we have to memorize all of our states instead.

My wife teaches 5th grade and they do the states/capitols they also do all the Providences of Canada and Mexico nowadays.

Canadian here and I only got 70% :(

I feel bad because about half of the States I know exactly where they are, but then there's a bunch in the middle I can't keep straight.

I blame Wyoming, and Iowa...

How does 'Americans don't know world affairs' segue into 'Answer questions about America'?

Anyway, whilst I can probably name 30-40 of them without too much trouble, I couldn't place them on a map. However, I'm English. So, English counter-question - does anyone in England/the UK even know how many counties we have, never mind naming them?

AsianMafiaSin:
If you really want to have a pissing contest over who knows where cities and countries are better, just go for this game. No, I suck at it and can't get past level 4 but it adds a bit of perspective.

Hmmm got to level 3 with about 2200 points on my first try... I like this! :D

Edit: third try got to level 5 and 6375 points, and I am giving up for now.

100%. They're kind of hardwired into my head, in fifth grade we spent weeks learning the state even when I knew all of them by then.

I'm American and I sadly got Alabama and Mississippi mixed up ... mirror image states! Damn you!

But yes I agree with many on here that the main populous doesn't know Jack about their country.

Yeah I got it, a couple of the midwest states threw me off at first, but I got them 100%.

New York, Wasington, Michigan, Florida, Winconston, North & South Dakota, Colorado, Nevada, Illanoi, Missisipy, Texas, New Mexico, Alaska, Hawai, Kansas, Indiana, California, Portland, Missory, Kentucky? that's about all I can come up with at the moment that makes 21 almost half. I'm okay with that since I'm European. I can properly name most european countries and most major asian + middle eastern countries.

Irridium:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

Third word down.

I hate to be an ass about it... oh who am I kidding, I love being an ass about it. Plus I'll use any excuse I can to link to The Oatmeal.

Holy shit I have a new favorite thing...

OP:
I got 74%, which is surprisingly good considering I'm a Canadian that hates the states.
I guess movies and whatnot just infected my brain with that info.

tehpiemaker:
Well, I keep hearing a bunch of Americans on this website complaining about how they have to deal with idiots every day of their life.
Apparently there are people who don't know about the world affairs. And honestly this makes me sad that anyone could know so little about the world.

So fellow AmeriCANS. Do know your country well enough to name the basic 50 states without looking them up?

I took the quiz and got this as my score.

http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/unitedstates.html

And I'm also interested if any non Americans can get all 50 states.

Well done sir! You just did the impossible, name states that aren't actually states.

Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are commonwealths.

And no, I cannot name all 46 states.

I'm still stuck on what to call the land mass I live on, is it England? United kingdom? Britain? USA's shadow?

I got all of them, but I like to think that I'm better at geography than most. I know of the existence of Andorra and San Marino, after all.

SckizoBoy:

Rawne1980:
My mistake bud I put countries instead of counties, you know what I mean though.

I'll correct my error now.

*meh* No sweat. Don't know about you, but all my county knowledge comes from selected rural cricket grounds!

Liverpool supporter, follow them around the country.

Funny thing is I learnt more about our countries geography through Football than I did through school.

I got 33%, but only because I was lucky.
I actually only know where 8 states are located.
never really found any point to memorizing them.

Not from US, know only about five, couldn't care less, as I find the concept of states retarded.

I got them all. I'd hope anyone who lives in this country would be able to do it.

Although, I spent my childhood reading atlases for fun, so I'm a bit of a geography geek...I can probably name about 90% of the world's countries, and all of Canada's provinces and about half of Mexico's states. I also know the difference between Britain, England and the UK, which is something a lot of Americans can't manage...

i'm pretty good with geography within the united states at least considering i live there.

Rawne1980:
Liverpool supporter, follow them around the country.

Funny thing is I learnt more about our countries geography through Football than I did through school.

LOL, I'm ashamed to admit that I learnt most of my London/southeast geography as a kid (living in Altrincham at the time) following football as well!

You will now cease to like me (if you ever did =P ) when I say that I was a Man U supporter, so when they went to the relevant grounds in London, I twigged how big the place is.

(Man, that's only just made me realise how dumb I was as a kid!)

SckizoBoy:

LOL, I'm ashamed to admit that I learnt most of my London/southeast geography as a kid (living in Altrincham at the time) following football as well!

You will now cease to like me (if you ever did =P ) when I say that I was a Man U supporter, so when they went to the relevant grounds in London, I twigged how big the place is.

(Man, that's only just made me realise how dumb I was as a kid!)

There was a time I would have mocked you for being a Man U supporter but my wife is aswell so I have a catch 22 with my dislike of that team. On the one hand i'm a Scouser and it's bred in us to dislike them while on the other my missus is a supporter and I love her so have to tolerate it. Be a bit hypocritical to abuse others. That and our 2 youngest girls followed their mums footsteps to the path of Manc fans. Only 1 of my kids and my Ferret (because I forced the damn animal) support Liverpool.

Plus my step daughter is an Arsenal supporter (who I spent all day mocking after we beat them 2-0 yesterday) so our house is a nice peaceful place on match days .... honest.

Dimitriov:

AsianMafiaSin:

Hmmm got to level 3 with about 2200 points on my first try... I like this! :D

Edit: third try got to level 5 and 6375 points, and I am giving up for now.

This is much better of a challenge than the 50 states and I got to lvl 6 7048pts. That is pretty challenging.

Rawne1980:
There was a time I would have mocked you for being a Man U supporter but my wife is aswell so I have a catch 22 with my dislike of that team. On the one hand i'm a Scouser and it's bred in us to dislike them while on the other my missus is a supporter and I love her so have to tolerate it. Be a bit hypocritical to abuse others. That and our 2 youngest girls followed their mums footsteps to the path of Manc fans. Only 1 of my kids and my Ferret (because I forced the damn animal) support Liverpool.

Plus my step daughter is an Arsenal supporter (who I spent all day mocking after we beat them 2-0 yesterday) so our house is a nice peaceful place on match days .... honest.

Haha! I'd love to see your ferret's football shirt & scarf! Still, unlike most Man U fans, at least I lived in the Trafford metropolitan area... as opposed to places like... LONDON!

Anyway, you'll notice I said 'was'... I still follow Man U's season progress, but having moved back to London (mostly true, I'm in Brighton atm), I am proudly a Fulham fan. I just find that the Cottage is such a... uh... cosier(?!) ground than Old Trafford, and the crowd's nicer, too. Sure it's waaaaaaaaay smaller, but once we get in the mood, we can make it very claustrophobic for the visiting fans. So, you're probably much happier with the weekend's results than I am... *grumble grumble*

Well, I can name all the states in Australia. That's impressive, right?
But no, I flounder in Geography altogether...

tehpiemaker:
Well, I keep hearing a bunch of Americans on this website complaining about how they have to deal with idiots every day of their life.
Apparently there are people who don't know about the world affairs. And honestly this makes me sad that anyone could know so little about the world.

So fellow AmeriCANS. Do know your country well enough to name the basic 50 states without looking them up?

I took the quiz and got this as my score.

http://www.ilike2learn.com/ilike2learn/unitedstates.html

Yep. Learned them as part of an elementary history class. Didn't even have a song, either. I just...well, learned them. It helped that we learned them by filling in their names on a map, though.

Solid, liquid, gas, plasma......

I'm stumped.

Canadian here, got 70%. Most of my mistakes come from the square states in the middle, they're all the same to me.

Yeah. And I can name MOST of their capitals.

Who the fuck cares about Wyoming and Montana's capitals, anyway?

Lawyer105:
I've always found it somewhat annoying that the average citizen of the United States can name all (or almost all) of the states and their capitals - but couldn't name 50 other countries even if you held a gun to their heads (let alone THEIR capital cities).

1Canada
2Mexico
3Panama
4Guatamala
5Paraguay
6Uraguay
7Brazil
8Chile
9Argentina
10Columbia
11Venezula
12Cuba
13Hati
14Trinidad and Tobago
15Dominican Republic
16Jamaica
17UK (Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, England)
18Ireland
19Iceland
20Greenland
21France
22Spain
23Germany
24Poland
25Italy
26Greece
27Russia
28China
29Mongolia
30North Korea
31South Korea
32Japan
33Thailand
34Vietnam
35Philippines
36India
37Pakistan
38Iraq
39Iran
40Afghanistan
41Israel
42Egypt
43UAE
44Republic of Congo
45South Africa
46Madagascar
47Syria
48Djbuti (lol)
49Indonesia
50Luxembourg
51Mali
52Australia
53New Zealand
54Malaysia
55Serbia
55Rwanda
56Kenya
57Ethiopia
58Algeria
59Libya

Not bad for not cheating

tehpiemaker:

Didn't do all that well.But what suprised me was just how damn close I was. I sought of new where the different states were situated but just not quite. Thanks for the geography lesson very informative.

40%? Meh, I guess that's okay since I have no fuckin' clue where most of the states even are located. I could name maybe all of them but no way my absolutely awful sense of direction can locate them. [EDIT: 38 is not bad, is it?]
I'm European though so whatever.

I can name all of my countrie's parts and capitals if that makes me a good countryman. We've got only 9 but hey, I don't make the rules.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here